It's official. Thom is off the KTLK Los Angeles lineup.

62 posts / 0 new

Comments

Having filled out the FCC form yesterday complaining about the overabundance of right-wing conservative talk on radio and the (?) diminution of liberal/progressive talk, the response today follows:

"This is with respect to your March 12 complaint in which you urge that there be more parity among the political viewpoints on political talk shows.

"Although the FCC licenses broadcast stations, we have virtually no control over the content of what they air. That’s because they enjoy freedom of speech under the First Amendment and because there is a statute that specifically prohibits this agency from censoring or dictating program content. The result is that stations are free to air pretty much whatever they want (short of obscenity or indecency) – even if the material is false, misleading, or slanted. There are a number of conservative talk shows on the air because there is an audience out there for it, and if there is an audience willing to listen, there are advertisers willing sponsor those programs. So the matter is really in your hands – not the FCC’s, because we can’t tell the stations to air a particular kind of program. If enough people complain to a station that they want political talk shows that support more liberal or progressive causes, the stations will create them, and there will be sponsors to back them. There are some of these programs on some cable networks already, but there could be more if the public demands it.

"Sincerely,
Mark Berlin
Policy Division (political office)
FCC Media Bureau"

So we've got to demand it!

MsMarm's picture
MsMarm
Quote bryanthelion:

calling david cruz "lame" is pretty offensive. his focus is los angeles and he is a passionate reporter on important social and political issues specific to the area. he is very progressive, intelligent, and outspoken. i am a thom hartmann fan, but i also value "local yocals" because sweeping change comes in the form of little people fighting small battles in their communities -- battles that hosts like david cruz bring to the table. i'm sure thom would agree.

meanwhile, you thom hartmann worshippers who have spent all this time and energy speculating as to why/how/when thom's show isn't on anymore need a reminder that no one ever made a difference by listening to the radio. listening to thom hartmann is useful and informative, but it is not activism. we have access to the same news and historical facts he has access to. there are hundreds if not thousands of other excellent free programs, podcasts, and blogs out there to make use of. stop complaining about this one inconvenient schedule change, look at the big picture, and go out make and something happen yourselves.

You are so out of touch little man.

Ladyhawke1's picture
Ladyhawke1
Quote MsMarm:

Having filled out the FCC form yesterday complaining about the overabundance of right-wing conservative talk on radio and the (?) diminution of liberal/progressive talk, the response today follows:

"This is with respect to your March 12 complaint in which you urge that there be more parity among the political viewpoints on political talk shows.

"Although the FCC licenses broadcast stations, we have virtually no control over the content of what they air. That’s because they enjoy freedom of speech under the First Amendment and because there is a statute that specifically prohibits this agency from censoring or dictating program content. The result is that stations are free to air pretty much whatever they want (short of obscenity or indecency) – even if the material is false, misleading, or slanted. There are a number of conservative talk shows on the air because there is an audience out there for it, and if there is an audience willing to listen, there are advertisers willing sponsor those programs. So the matter is really in your hands – not the FCC’s, because we can’t tell the stations to air a particular kind of program. If enough people complain to a station that they want political talk shows that support more liberal or progressive causes, the stations will create them, and there will be sponsors to back them. There are some of these programs on some cable networks already, but there could be more if the public demands it.

"Sincerely,
Mark Berlin
Policy Division (political office)
FCC Media Bureau"

So we've got to demand it!

As I understand it, every year the radio stations have to apply for a broadcasting license. They can only do this if they are providing some kind of a public service. It could just mean providing a weather report.

If we are telling the FCC that we are not receiving our public service, then where do we go from here? We need to start asserting that the PUBLIC AIRWAVES belong to the people. The moguls can keep their buildings and antennas, but they cannot have our airwaves.

These money hungry right-wing sympathizers are not serving the immediate communities. This can be a very dangerous policy for the surrounding communities. They are only serving the louder more “entertaining” voices, and in their opinion, they think this to be more profitable.

When the progressive community gets loud….out comes the authorities, and the police show up. They are only protecting “property” owners and not the public. Ask Michael Parenti about this subject.

There has to be a way to disconnect/redirect/intercept the airwaves. Think people. We can of course cause them to lose sponsors.

However, there must be someone out there with an idea to take our airwaves back.

One idea is, to show more support for KPFK and pressuring them for the airing of Thom’s program. However, this also means two things.

1) KPFK and Pacifica will need more of our support as in money and service.

2) There must be a concerted way to create a publically owned and run radio stations just for the people. No fuss, no infighting, and no trashing the likes of which goes on at Pacifica. It has to be better than that.

Can we ask people to be better than that?

Ladyhawke1's picture
Ladyhawke1
Quote alp227:

Let's use this as an opportunity to lobby other stations to carry Thom. For example, I'd like KGO 810 in my area (San Francisco) to carry Thom at noon. KGO recently converted to a nearly all news weekday lineup relegating talk to weekends after decades of being a news/talk station. The current KGO lineup: Morning News (4am-9am); Ronn Owens talk show (9am-12pm); nothing but generic news coverage (12pm-12am); the conservative Red Eye Radio (12am-4am). At least KGO has a good roster of progressives on the weekends (Pat Thurston, Karel, and Christine Craft). Recently, Thom's longtime SF affiliate KNEW 960 (formerly 960 the Quake and Green 960) moved Thom to the 10pm-1am slot in favor of the financial advice host Dave Ramsey as part of a new "opinions, finance, advice" format.

So San Francisco listeners: I'd recommend contacting KGO's program director by mail at 55 Hawthorne Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, or use this online email form (direct message to "programming"). My pitch (as i posted on facebook) is: "Thom Hartmann, author of several books about humanities and politics, provides a refreshing, civil discourse on public affairs. He advocates for the environment and against the corporate takeover of government (including rolling back the Citizens United v. FEC case) and debates conservatives (whether pre arranged guests or callers)."

Meanwhile, KTLK Los Angeles will play this local public affairs program "Diverse LA" on Thom's former slot. At least that's not Rush Limbaugh, and that program does seem to provide a much needed public interest forum. Meanwhile, KTLK's right wing sister station KFI has this guy named Bill Carroll (conservative) 12pm-3pm. KABC has Sean Hannity at this time slot. If KFI had Hartmann, he'd be between the conservative Rush Limbaugh and John & Ken shows on KFI. As Thom once said on a show, the program directors make the programming decisions. If we get active, we can prove that we can take back radio in the public interest even if Obama erased the Fairness Doctrine from the books.

I guess you did not hear about the shake up a KGO...night time radio. I can get KGO at night in the Ventura area of CA. Now some of those very long time voices disappeared after the Occupy Oakland. As for the "local public affairs program "Diverse LA"", I guess you have not be listening to it. I can only take a minute or two of it and I have to turn the dial. Believe me I listen to plenty of black radio and it is not like this. What I listen to acutally helps and informs the community.

Ladyhawke1's picture
Ladyhawke1

HE'S abandoning US? I'm sure he'd love to still be heard in Los Angeles. I blame KTLK for putting on 'diverse LA', awful, instead of making sure they held onto Thom. Call them: Programming: (818) 566-6476 and of course you'll find out that KFI owns them, yuck. For now I'm keeping the newsletter & youtube subscriptions...and trying to get thru the withdrawals lol.

outlaw diva

KFI & KTLK DO have the same programming director! Thank you for bringing this to our attention! This is a fact that I think most people don't realize. I never really thought it was all that significant because Thom and Randi's shows were syndicated and not controlled by the people at KTLK.... of course now I'm rethinking that.

I don't know if you all have been monitoring the discussion on their Facebook page, but I would encourage you to take a look. The person running the page stated that "KTLK is not a progressive station". I was completely blown away! I think it is important to take them at their word, and understand that they do not care what we as listeners want. The fact that they are filling Thom's old slot with a financial show proves that they are totally out of touch, and looking to shift the focus of the station. For those of us in the Southern California area, this is a huge loss. I don't understand how this has happened in such an overwhelmingly Democratic city.

Please take the time to let KTLK know how you feel about this focus shift https://www.facebook.com/ktlkam1150

I know I will be subscribing to the podcast.... but still so dissapointed to hear KTLK is taking this position. Especially during an election year!

Leabea's picture
Leabea

Stations will be dropping right-wingers soon with no advertisers. Should be some spots opening up :)

jbpdx's picture
jbpdx

Good question.

Thom is a lot more informative than bloviating Randi Rhodes. She's excellent at research but she even argues over those who agree with her.

Norman Goldman is worthless.

Ima Fan's picture
Ima Fan

Rhodes is OK when she actually contributes information. But she then repeats her single fact ad nauseum and rarely introduces a lot of new information. Rarely does she let the callers provide her with an opportunity to provide new information.

Goldman is horrible. He does not provide information but emotional reactions from information he assumes everyone knows.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

NICE WORK! That's a GREAT IDEA!

We don't want to loose Randi Rhodes either and making the case that they need to investigate why progressives are being shortchanged in this market would leave her untouched. I wonder if Randi would consider changing her time slot with Thom so they could both be on again. Honestly I found Randi first then Thom. I was so excited that there were two radio talk shows that I could relate to on the same station, one right after the other. It was just by accident that I even found the station! I am glad I did but now I am missing Thom! I can listen to him when I am at home on the computer but often I am not home so I end up just missing the show and now his show is on at the same time as Randi's show!

WHY DID THOM SWITCH HIS TIME SLOT IN THE FIRST PLACE? It couldn't be just because he was no longer on our station. Does anyone know why that happened???

I sure would love him to go back to his regular time slot so I can listen to him while driving and then listen to Randi afterwards, but see now there is a conflict with his timing! We need to listen to both of those shows!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Thanks for the phone number...I will make a call for sure!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Currently Chatting

Largest Climate March Ever!

On Sunday, the world's largest climate march took over New York City. In addition to the 400,000 people who showed up to demand change in the Big Apple, hundreds of thousands more joined events in at least 156 counties. From London to Rio to Melbourne to New York, people around the world joined together to demand action on climate change.