A message to Thom - one fan's concern

4 posts / 0 new

Thom, I’ve been listening to you for about six years now. I’ve read some of your books and most of your writings on Common Dreams and I regularly watch your various TV programs.

I’m not sure if what I’m noticing is one’s natural reaction to the extreme rightward direction in which our public discourse is moving, but I have to take issue with your inability to allow others to have a say or present their ideas.

I understand that you are an intelligent and well read individual. I also understand that a large chunk of your audience is also intelligent and well read. So lately, when you’ve shot down legitimate ideas just because they are not in lock-step with your ideas or when you’ve talked over callers who are trying to present their argument or when you jump to conclusions and start a rant without even listening to what a caller has to say, I feel like you’re starting to sound (in tone anyway) like a right-wing bully!

Unlike the right-wing bullies, your ideas and opinions are well thought out. Unlike the right-wing bullies, you form your ideas and opinions based on facts. Unlike the right-wing bullies, you are almost always correct! But just like the right-wing bullies, your demeanor is often that of an infallible zealot - one who shouldn’t be questioned, one who doesn’t allow others to make their point, one who presumes he knows everyone’s position and begins to argue before actually listening.

With all that's going on in the USA and around the world, I know this isn't that important. But as a fan, Thom, this has bothered me as of late. But it's just one fan’s opinion.

Keep up the good work!!!

PJProgressive's picture
PJProgressive

Comments

I agree. After all, the number one reason that I listen to call in talk radio is to here a multitude of diverse opinions and ideas. If I wanted to listen to a one sided conversation I would listen to Rush, Hanity, or my old lady!

With that being said I do appreciate the talent and skill that Tom displays daily on his show. I wish that I possessed half of his patience and calm demeanor when I'm debating right wing idiots.

anti-Republicon

As far as the right-wing nut jobs, Thom can talk over them as much as he wants! I'm referring to the reasonable folks who call in to the show.

PJProgressive's picture
PJProgressive

Thom can speak for himself,for most people when talk is about a already known topic,they want to move on.How you move on,should be done with respect,but the media time clock doesn`t allow the time in most cases to move on with respect.Hopefully,most people can understand this and not have hurt feelings.More important than the media clock is getting some real solutions to our problems,we don`t have much time,the natives are restless,the rich is crazy and mother nature is ready to sent everybody to hell with climate change.

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Currently Chatting

The Real Carbon “Monster” Revealed

Another day, another stupid assault on the truth by the fossil fuel industry and its paid lackeys. In a recent op-ed for the New York Post, Tom Harris, the executive director of the so-called International Climate Science Coalition -- an organization that’s funded, in part, by the fossil fuel industry -- blasted Leonardo DiCaprio for his work on “Carbon,” a new documentary on climate change that I helped write and present.