The myth of voter fraud in America

94 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thom Hartmann A...
Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture

South Carolina Attorney General Alan Wilson claimed that as many as 900 dead people may have voted in the recent election – a claim that was picked up by Fox News to justify the Republicans’ war on voting rights.  Immediately, a statewide investigation into voter fraud was launched – and now we know that it doesn’t exist.

Looking at the 2010 election – the State Election Commission found that of the 207 alleged dead people votes, 95% of those people were alive at the time of the vote – and the few dead people didn’t vote at all: it was just a clerical error.  So once again, the myth of voter fraud is proved to be just that…a myth.  We’ll see if Fox so-called News issues a correction, but don't hold your breath. 

Comments

jones702
I find it amazing that you

I find it amazing that you have to prove who you are to check a book out of the public library but not to vote in an election.  Does that sound right to you?

The argument I hear is that the young old and poor do not have identification.  I find this hard to believe, as you need identification to get a book from the library, use medical services like Medicare or Medicaid.  You need identification to go attend college, drive a car or even rent a movie from blockbuster. 

The voter laws that are being past are to insure that only the people legally allowed to vote in an election are voting.  They are trying to limit the amount of fraud. 

The old Chicago saying vote early, vote often, even the dead can vote as long as they are voting democrat.

bullwinkle
http://www.youtube.com/watch_

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=GqMVxeZhflI&feature=player_embedded

DRC
DRC's picture
While we see craven attempts

While we see craven attempts to make it hard for college students, the elderly and the not so White to vote, we also hear the threat of 'voter fraud' without any evidence that it happens.  Show us the evidence, not just the old urban legends.  We have lots of people being denied their right to vote, but the numbers of bad voters is miniscule and mostly about confusion rather than intent in the tiny numbers where there is something.  And, these votes have not been counted nor have they swung elections, unlike the machine total issues that always help Republicans.  Please, go to a GOPimp board to have your lying echo chamber.

bullwinkle
Confusion? LOL Here's some

Confusion? LOL Here's some "evidence" on a real "urban legend"

http://www.wnd.com/2011/09/344577/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/06/acorn-pleads-guilty-voter-registration-fraud-nevada/

rigel1
rigel1's picture
jones702 wrote: I find it

jones702 wrote:

I find it amazing that you have to prove who you are to check a book out of the public library but not to vote in an election.  Does that sound right to you?

The argument I hear is that the young old and poor do not have identification.  I find this hard to believe, as you need identification to get a book from the library, use medical services like Medicare or Medicaid.  You need identification to go attend college, drive a car or even rent a movie from blockbuster. 

The voter laws that are being past are to insure that only the people legally allowed to vote in an election are voting.  They are trying to limit the amount of fraud. 

The old Chicago saying vote early, vote often, even the dead can vote as long as they are voting democrat.

Yep it's sad arguement. Those who don't want voters to show ID are hoping for illegal votes. We all know which party will benefit if illegals vote. It's a sneaky way to gain an advantage.

politicalview
politicalview's picture
jones702 wrote: "The argument

jones702 wrote:
"The argument I hear is that the young old and poor do not have identification. I find this hard to believe, as you need identification to get a book from the library, use medical services like Medicare or Medicaid."

You also need identification to vote. I've always had to show some form of identification in order to vote, then my name is checked off and I'm not allowed to vote again. If I were to get to the polls and my name was already checked off, then I would know that someone was fraudulently voting using my name, and I would complain. I think most people would. But, I haven't heard of anyone complaining about such things.

Aside from the fact that they are solutions for which there is no known problem, the new voter ID laws have a very narrow definition of what a proper ID is. There was a news story yesterday about a veteran who had no legs (lost them in service to his country), so he didn't drive and didn't have a license, and was told that his veteran's ID was not proper identification to vote. People do have a Medicare ID, but many of these new laws don't permit its use for voting. You can't use your library card either. And so on and so forth.

These laws have one purpose... to prevent "undesirables" form voting. Infortunately for the people who make these laws, the "undesirables" aren't non-citizens. They are citizens who happen to be poor or homeless or elderly or inner-city or fit into any of a number of other non-Republican leaning categories.

N-O-R. Not One Republican, 2012. Pass it on.

bullwinkle
http://www.fraudfactor.com/ff

http://www.fraudfactor.com/fffl2kpreselection.html

Get over it. If your boy, Nader,  had not run, the outcome might have been different. As hard as the dems tried.

Requiring voter ID would go a long way toward stopping the shenanigans. I have always had to show my ID when voting in Texas.

bullwinkle
view-"They are citizens who

view-"They are citizens who happen to be poor or homeless or elderly or inner-city or fit into any of a number of other non-Republican leaning categories."

Yea, acorn could get them!

DRC
DRC's picture
It does not matter how much

It does not matter how much evidence we produce to the contrary, they just keep on with their memes and make stupid assertions about how we want to steal elections.  Project much?  Electoral fraud is a problem.  Voter fraud is not.  No honest inquiry ever from these guys, just taunting and lies.

DRC
DRC's picture
OMG, another ACORN post.  Go

OMG, another ACORN post.  Go suck a lemon.

bullwinkle
What evidence as opposed to

What evidence as opposed to what I have presented?  Acorn is a fraudulent taxpayer money wasting criminal arm of the DNP!

bullwinkle
Thomas Sowell on the DOJ of

Thomas Sowell on the DOJ of the Obama admin.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/10/11/reverse_racism_111636.html

DRC
DRC's picture
Stop with the con bullshit,

Stop with the con bullshit, bullshitter.  Got talk with cons who eat this stuff up as narcotics.  We have the facts and know better.  This is not a site for reeducating the unwilling aholes from the Right.  I have had it up to where breathing gets difficult.  We try to be reasonable and just get a load of feces throwing.  Thomas Sowell is a Rightwing nut job of dark skin.  I am post racial enough to know that black skin does not qualify him to be treated more than equally with the rest of the goons.

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
jones702 wrote: ... I find it

jones702 wrote:
... I find it amazing that you have to prove who you are to check a book out of the public library but not to vote in an election.  Does that sound right to you?

Are you unable to read Thom's post?

Thom said something. He made a point. He had facts that proved his point.

What did Thom say? What are his facts? Why do you contstantly and consistently ignore facts?

There is no voter fraud. It is not a problem. Making laws that make it harder for people to vote willl incur a cost WITH NO BENNEFIT.

Can't you read?

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
bullwinkle

Why do you always argue based on blind links? Are you unable to defend yourself and need others to do so?

I don't send you on links to read Das Kapital, don't send me on blind links to your propaganda pages.

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
bullwinkle

That's voter registration fraud. That is not voter fraud. The Registration fraud does not change the vote tallies in elections.  If you want to stop voter registration fraud, then enact laws that will do that.

And then prosecute Newt Gingrich who admitted his campaign people did that.

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
rigel1 wrote: jones702

rigel1 wrote:

jones702 wrote:

Yep it's sad arguement. Those who don't want voters to show ID are hoping for illegal votes. We all know which party will benefit if illegals vote. It's a sneaky way to gain an advantage.

Voter ID laws raise the cost of voting, and hence reduce the number of votes cast.

I know you guys don't like people voting, but at least admit you want to make it harder for students, the elderly and the poor to vote.

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
bullwinkle

bullwinkle wrote:

Get over it. If your boy, Nader,  had not run, the outcome might have been different. As hard as the dems tried.

Requiring voter ID would go a long way toward stopping the shenanigans. I have always had to show my ID when voting in Texas.

WTF? Another person who can't read? Please re-read Thoms' post. Cite a fact that refutes that point. Cite the link to that fact.
You can't do that. I predict you will try to send us on blind links to voter registration cases.

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
bullwinkle wrote: view-"They

bullwinkle wrote:

view-"They are citizens who happen to be poor or homeless or elderly or inner-city or fit into any of a number of other non-Republican leaning categories."

Yea, acorn could get them!

Acord no longer exists, thanks to idiots like Brightbart.

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
bullwinkle wrote: What

bullwinkle wrote:

What evidence as opposed to what I have presented?  Acorn is a fraudulent taxpayer money wasting criminal arm of the DNP!

ACORN had contractors that committed voter registration fraud. So did Newt Gingrich. Actually, all voter registration organizations do this. It's actually a hazard of paying people to register voters. Sort of comes with the territory. 

bullwinkle
Doc-"Acord no longer exists,

Doc-"Acord no longer exists, thanks to idiots like Brightbart."

A rose by any other name...    Blame it on "contractors"?  He did it too! Doesn't make it right.

http://dailycaller.com/buzz/acorn/

Take your pick.

Your right the dems did their damnedest to fraud Bush. If Nader had not have run they might have got it done.

"Election fraud in seven Florida counties may have provided more than 1,400 fraudulent votes for Democrat presidential candidate Al Gore in the 2000 Presidential election, reducing George Bush's vote lead to a mere 300 votes after the second machine count. Furthermore, this fraud eliminates the possibility of any accurate vote recounts.

After completion of the first machine vote count, the Democrat Party officials knew that the election was close enough to be stolen using their standard procedures, and they knew exactly how many votes they needed to either add to Al Gore's count or subtract from George Bush's count.

Votes could be added to Al Gore's count by punching new holes (and dimples to be counted by hand) in "none of the above" ballots that indicated no vote for any candidate for President. Votes could be subtracted from George Bush's count by punching new holes for Al Gore or any other candidate for President in ballots voted for George Bush, thereby "spoiling" and invalidating those ballots. "

I did not vote for bushie, but I damn sure didn't vote for the lying hypocrit, Gore, either.

Sure, there is voter fraud or election fraud, if you want to split hairs.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/286557/yes-virginia-there-really-voter-fraud-hans-von-spakovsky

That is why the left does not want voter ID laws. Because it is precisely the votes of the poor and elderly whose votes they steal.

Thios from the article;

"As for the constant liberal claims that voter fraud does not occur, one of the Democratic operatives who pled guilty, Anthony DeFiglio, told New York State police investigators “that faking absentee ballots was a commonplace and accepted practice in political circles, all intended to swing an election.” And whose votes do they steal? DeFiglio was very plain about that: “The people who are targeted live in low-income housing, and there is a sense that they are a lot less likely to ask any questions.”

That is exactly what former Alabama congressman Artur Davis said recently when he admitted that he was wrong to oppose voter-ID requirements. Davis says the “most aggressive” voter suppression “is the wholesale manufacture of ballots, at the polls and absentee, in parts of the Black Belt” of Alabama, which is an area of very poor black communities. These are the very areas where the NAACP claims voter fraud does not happen. The NAACP opposes all reasonable measures to safeguard the voting process for its own constituents, even going to the extent of defending vote stealers, as the NAACP did in Greene County, Ala., in the mid-1990s. Small wonder one of its local officials was recently sentenced to five years in prison for voter fraud in Tunica County, Mississippi."

I guess it depends on which state, which election and most of all who is commiting it and who is investigating it.

DRC
DRC's picture
It is important to remember

It is important to remember that ACORN was under legal obligation to turn in all the voter reg forms and noted the ones it found fraudulent.  They, unlike the others you mention, did not willfully or complictly submit false registrations.  They were taken down by lies proved to be lies after the damage was done.  The continuing smear continues the lie.

Laborisgood
Laborisgood's picture
Isn't it interesting how 100%

Isn't it interesting how 100% of the time, the only ones who want to make voting by their fellow citizens more difficult is the GOP while the Democrats are always guilty of trying to make voting easier.  It's almost as if there isn't really a very good reason to vote Republican and the best way to preserve that dinosaur of a party is to keep as many people from voting as possible.

Pssst, here's a clue GOP: come up with some ideas that people will actually support.

bullwinkle
Many states, counties, and

Many states, counties, and cities have required IDs to registar to vote and to vote for 30 years. Why is it suddenly a problem? Many illegal aliens have been caught voting (some even multiple times) illegally in the "no ID required" jurisdictions and also a variety of other voter frauds committed prompting the additional changes. Is it any surprise that illegals vote mostly democratic? Is this why liberals are so worried about protecting these illegal votes?

I have to present an ID when I am stopped by the law, cash a check, board a plane, registar to vote and to vote.

Every argument against it is so pathetically weak, it's laughable. Voter fraud runs in the blood of dems.

DRC
DRC's picture
Lying crap never ends.  We

Lying crap never ends.  We have lots of manipulations of electronic voting and virtually nothing on the other side that can stand the light of day.  There are people who are confused about being registered to vote, and people whose registration cards were dumpted by GOPimp paid suppressionists. You can believe what you must, but you cannot make a case to convince those who don't need to believe this nonsense.  Restricting voting has been on a crescendo with Republicans.   They cannot win a fair fight in America, so they put lead in the gloves of their goons.  Money doesn't talk, it swears.

bullwinkle
There are those that no case

There are those that no case could convince because they refuse to see the truth and some people are just outright confused because the lack of fair and consistent requirements regarding provisional ballots and voter ID requirements leads to confusion, inequity, lost votes, and voter fraud. Hell, lets give them free voter ID cards.

I would like to see evidence of registration card dumping. I have cited proof or evidence in websites as to ACORN's existence, dems such as Defiglio pleading guilty to voter fraud, using people living in low-income housing, and that bastion of voter fairnes the NAACP.  The DEMS tried to steal the Presidential election for hypocrit Gore in Florida in 2000, that is a fact.

Semi permeable ...
Semi permeable memebrain's picture
 Many illegal aliens have

Many illegal aliens have been caught voting (some even multiple times) illegally in the "no ID required

How many?

You do understand those charged at ACORN were paid canvassers that simply made up names so they could be paid for doing nothing, right? For your version of a voter fraud conspiracy to be true those charged at ACORN would have needed to actually register people who could actually vote correct?

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
bullwinkle wrote: Doc-"Acorn

bullwinkle wrote:

Doc-"Acorn no longer exists, thanks to idiots like Brightbart."

A rose by any other name...    Blame it on "contractors"?  He did it too! Doesn't make it right.

http://dailycaller.com/buzz/acorn/

Take your pick.

I am so tired of doing your research for you. Would you please:

1) make a point.
2) make a fact.
3) Link to the fact.

Don't send me on blind links to lists of articles, most of which are completely irrelevent.

My statement was "Acorn no longer exists". That is a factual statement. Do you not agree?

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
bullwinkle wrote:...

bullwinkle wrote:
... "Election fraud in seven Florida counties may have provided more than 1,400 fraudulent votes for Democrat presidential candidate Al Gore in the 2000 Presidential election, reducing George Bush's vote lead to a mere 300 votes after the second machine count. Furthermore, this fraud eliminates the possibility of any accurate vote recounts.

This link does not work. I can't wait for the evidence. I imagine that you think 1,400 faudulent votes is high for Florida. What about the 80,000 vote caging list drawn up by Katherine Harris?

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
bullwinkle wrote: Sure, there

bullwinkle wrote:

Sure, there is voter fraud or election fraud, if you want to split hairs.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/286557/yes-virginia-there-really-voter-fraud-hans-von-spakovsky

Right. That's 11 people and 40 counts in backwoods county election. In order to take an action, weigh the costs and the bennefits.

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
bullwinkle wrote: I guess it

bullwinkle wrote:
I guess it depends on which state, which election and most of all who is commiting it and who is investigating it.

Look, on the one side we had the Bush administration who studied this for 8 years and found virtually nothing.

Then we have Thom's quote that started this mess.

On the other side you cited problems with absentee ballots. I think you mentioned a local election in Alabama, with a lot of heresay evidence, the Florida case, and sporadic x-Acorn employees that a right wing web site got upset about.

To me the millions of people who will be discouraged from voting with ID laws makes this a no-brainer.

bullwinkle
  http://www.fraudfactor.com/

Worked for me.

Like I said, no case can be made for those that refuse to see the truth because they are simply apologists for those that do not take personal responsiblity and those wanting to abdicate all personal responsibility.

The vote in Florida was close enough that the dems thought they could steal it for their boy Gore.

Millions of people don't bother to vote , period. I do not see how requiring an ID to vote would discourage anybody but crooks and illegals. Do you think illegals should have the right to vote?

Art
Art's picture
Quote:The vote in Florida was

Quote:
The vote in Florida was close enough that the dems thought they could steal it for their boy Gore.
I don't think anybody gives credence to this kind of statement. It isn't fact-based. It's just inflammatory. We've seen it several times now, here, but it doesn't seem to get any traction.

bullwinkle
Then read this,

Then read this, Art:

Garrett78
Garrett78's picture
Once again, I wish to point

Once again, I wish to point out that "reverse racism" is like the tooth fairy or some other mythological creature. http://www.timwise.org/2002/06/honky-wanna-cracker-examining-the-myth-of...

DRC wrote:

It is important to remember that ACORN was under legal obligation to turn in all the voter reg forms and noted the ones it found fraudulent.  They, unlike the others you mention, did not willfully or complictly submit false registrations.  They were taken down by lies proved to be lies after the damage was done.  The continuing smear continues the lie.

Paying people per person they register is probably not a good idea. But it really doesn't matter if I register Mickey Mouse to vote, because Mickey Mouse won't be voting.

Election fraud is a bigger concern.

Of course, an even bigger concern is the utterly corrupt and dehumanizing system in which this all takes place. A system that makes ACORN out to be the bad guys, whistleblowers out to be criminals, etc.

DRC
DRC's picture
The autopsy of Florida was

The autopsy of Florida was that Gore would have won had all the votes been counted.  Those who stopped the voting and intimidated the process were Bush flacks, not Democrats.  Those who voted for Bush were the Supremely Arrogant Five who took 'precedent' off the table.  Those who demanded it were the powers of Empire.  Bullwinkle, why do you push their crap so dilligently?  Do you think we were on vacation on the moon while all this crap went down?  Do you think we want the machines and the lack of accurate recounts pushed by the Right?  Get the ACORNS out of where they are causing you so much pain and deal with election theft instead of the idea that too many poor people voting will be bad.  You are pathetic.

bullwinkle
You are full of yourself,

You are full of yourself, DRC. Show me where I said anything about poor people voting being bad.

Doc, everything is hearsay to you.

DRC
DRC's picture
You harp on the appropriate

You harp on the appropriate nature of the GOPimp suppression laws and try to argue that ACORN was bad when all it did was get poor people registered and voting.  Why would I think you wanted to see voting more inclusive?

bullwinkle
Oh, so once again, DRC

Oh, so once again, DRC exhibits his supernatural powers and discerns what I want and do not want as to voter inclusion. Wrong!

D_NATURED
D_NATURED's picture
jones702 wrote: I find it

jones702 wrote:

Well done Jones. You prove that the conservative mind is not swayed by evidence. Tenacity of thought is the primary conservative disease and you've got a bad case. You probably don't remember this, but the Colorado attorney general also made a similar comment last year that could not be backed up with evidence. But, as you have demonstrated, no evidence is necessary for the conservative side of the aisle.

There are only two possible truths. Either voter fraud is a problem or it's not. Pushing for the whole voter ID thing is necessary or it's not. So far, you lack any evidence to show that conservative clamis of voter fraud is a problem in this country. On the other hand, those on the left who bring up the problem of ELECTION FRAUD have a lot of evidence to work with. Are you as ignorant of the truth of what the Republican party has done to disenfranchise poor, black and elderly voters as you are of the evidence against your claims of voter fraud?

Why are you not concerned about the election fraud, for which there is abundant evidence and remain soooo concerned about the voter fraud that is a conservative fantasy...like the warrior Jesus. Do you guys just feel comfortable making up as much shit as it takes to feel outrage? Do you not feel manipulated by your leadership and your representatives who continue to perpetuate demonstratably false ideas? Have you no shame?

Don't answer. You'd just lie any way.

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
bullwinkle wrote:

That link had nothing to do with voter registration fraud. It had to do with hypothetical conclusions by an outdated right wing website about what might have happened in the Bush vs. Gore 2000 election.

And we all know about how the Republicans behaved in that one.

D_NATURED
D_NATURED's picture
bullwinkle wrote: Oh, so once

bullwinkle wrote:

Oh, so once again, DRC exhibits his supernatural powers and discerns what I want and do not want as to voter inclusion. Wrong!

As a conservative, do you have a problem with black communities having fewer working machines during elections than similarly populated white areas of the country? Are you happy with the current electoral system, or are your complaints that voting is too inclusive? Can you attack ACORN with the same honest assessment of the facts that are used to attack republican anti-democratic policy? I don't think so.

In my previous post, I mentioned the lack of proof that some conservative attorney generals have of their voter fraud claims. Should we pretend there is no connection between this meme being spread about without evidence and the overt voter suppression of the right? Where is the point of contention between us?

You can't argue that government is too big and then advocate sweeping election changes, that will hurt the ability of the poor to be represented, based upon fabricated evidence. That sounds like a waste of tax dollars on an unnecessary additional bureaucracy. Unless, of course, your goal is to keep black people from the polls.

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
bullwinkle wrote: Millions of

bullwinkle wrote:
Millions of people don't bother to vote , period. I do not see how requiring an ID to vote would discourage anybody but crooks and illegals.

The fact that millions of people don't bother to vote should give you evidence that making voting more costly to individuls would increase by a large number those that don't vote.

People make decisions to do things based on what they percieve the costs and bennefits are. About half the electorate already think the cost is higher than the bennefits. This is mainly because their vote counts nearly nothing in the final total. Why you would want to increase that cost for apparently little or no reason is beyond me.

Instead, we should do things like make voting mandatory, provide free food and alcohol, a national holiday, have polls open more hours, same day registration, and the rest of it. That would encourage more people to vote.

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
Art wrote: Quote:The vote in

Art wrote:

Quote:
I don't think anybody gives credence to this kind of statement. It isn't fact-based. It's just inflammatory. We've seen it several times now, here, but it doesn't seem to get any traction.

You are right. I was actually stupid enough to read the article! There's nothing there.

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
bullwinkle wrote: Then read

bullwinkle wrote:

Then read this, Art:

I read it, it's crap. The page boils down to this bizarre unproven claim :

" Because the second vote count was a machine count, most of this discrepancy probably involved modifying ballots by marking new votes (i.e., punching new holes)."

Right. 

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
bullwinkle wrote:Doc,

bullwinkle wrote:
Doc, everything is hearsay to you.

Not at all. Your quoting your black friend is hearsay. Quoting the article that mentions that there were 40 counts of voter fraud in Alabama is fact.You actually did a bit of research. I am proud.

But, when compared to the other facts I mentioned it is a hill of beans. That is why you didn't mention all this in the first place. You couldn't have said "Hey, your claim about there being no voter fraud because Bush couldn't find any for 8 years is false because I found 40 counts in a corrupt county election in the late nineties in Alabama. If anything, the exception would prove the rule.

Karolina
Karolina's picture
Putin won today in Russia. He

Putin won today in Russia. He is the new Russian President, again, trading places with Medvedev who was the President and will now be the Prime Minister, again.

Because of the supposed protests against Putin last month apparently to try to instigate from within a regime change during today's election, Russia spent hundreds of millions of dollars to securitize and make transperant the whole election. Putin won by a landslide, and if he is challenged by global forces, he has the fool-proof proof.

That is really the only way to be certain that an election is not being tampered with. Maybe it can be instituted here, if we create the money for it.

bullwinkle
As a conservative? D, where

As a conservative? D, where do you and DRC get such insight as to one's convictions.

I already said lets give them voter ID cards FREE.

DRC
DRC's picture
OK, let ACORN do it.

OK, let ACORN do it.

Art
Art's picture
Quote:That link had nothing

Quote:
That link had nothing to do with voter registration fraud. It had to do with hypothetical conclusions by an outdated right wing website about what might have happened in the Bush vs. Gore 2000 election.
I was stupid enough to read it too. as I get it, the real criminals were the people who handled the ballots (and they were all Democrats), I guess when they were recounting them, and fiddling with the hanging chads and such to make them look like votes that weren't really intended as votes. There's some kind of comparison between the recounted ballots and the mail-in ballots and the numbers look different. 

I didn't find a Snopes article on this. Don't know if it has ever been fat-checked.