Only one Japanese nuclear reactor out of 54 is operating as of March 26, 2012...also, updates from Fukushima Daiichi

77 posts / 0 new

[Note : check out the replies posted by other board members for web sites containing updates ... two posts in particular that you should not miss are from Antifacist, and are labeled "11. April 2012". The second of these is for Arnie Gunderson and Farewinds Associates, contains a link for a radio show that you should not miss. The posts were the first time I became aware of these sources of information, much of which the US media is missing (or suppressing ?). Keep it coming, guys ... we all need to be informed on this stuff. Thank you for you contributions. And one more thing ... sorry about the spelling errors in my long-winded letter below to the Maryland state senate in support of a wind farm bill; I wrote it late one evening, without the benefit of a spell checker ... I have now switched from IE to Chrome, and found the spell checker to be on from the start ... did not have to do a thing.]
....................................................................................................

On Monday, March 26th, the last of TEPCO's operating nuclear reactors in Japan was shutdown for scheduled maintenance. This shutdown now brings the total of idled operational reactors to 49 out of 50 (not including the 4 damaged reactors at Fukushima Daiichi, of course). This last operating reactor is located in Hokkaido, northern Japan, and is scheduled to be shutdown for maintenance in May. The other 48 operational reactors currently idled are all undergoing maintenance or are awaiting approval for restart from the Japanese government, and/or from the local governments. Some of the local governments would rather not see the idle reactors become operational again, a feeling that is shared by many of the people living near the nuclear plants.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/movie/feature201203262008.html

A recent inspection of the damaged reactors at Fukushima Daiichi by endoscopic camera revealed that the water levels in the unit 1 and unit 2 containment vessels are much lower than expected, and the radiation levels are much higher ... a setback for plans to decommission the crippled nuclear plants (this next page requires translation, using Google toolbar or other similar tool).

http://www9.nhk.or.jp/kabun-blog/500/
....................................................................................................

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2012/03/fukushima-daiichi-site-50-years-future-we-can-only-hope-it-looks-good

miksilvr

Comments

A new segment of the NHK WORLD video series "Nuclear Watch" appeared on todays NHK Newsline program :

"Nuclear Watch: Japan Mulls Nuclear Restarts"

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/movie/feature201203302013.html

miksilvr

As Fukushima Worsens, US Approves New Nukes. Nuclear Regulatory Commission OKs New Nuclear Plants in South Carolina

.ren's picture
.ren

An update on this story from NHK WORLD English web site (includes text and video) :

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/20120405_28.html

miksilvr

An update on this story from NHK WORLD English web site :

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/movie/feature201204052110.html

miksilvr

Who would of thought that the United States government’s response to three nuclear meltdowns is to ignore them. There is very little cover in the mainstream media of the current events and daily problems Japan is encountering at the nuclear reactors. It seems private citizens are doing all the measurements of radioactivity in the United States. The dead and diseased seals washed up on the shores of Alaska last Dec. 2011 were supposed to be tested for radioactive isotopes and still there is no definitive results or press releases by any US Government agency of the cause of dead or why there were lesions found on the seals.

http://fukushima-diary.com/ has the most coverage of the disaster. The website is ran by a private citizen in Japan taking donations.

The nuclear industry never was able to resolve the problem of what to do with nuclear waste so the default policy was to store radioactive waste at the nuclear sites themselves. So nuclear plants in the United States as in Japan, and I am sure in other countries, have tons of radioactive waste stored on site; in Japan’s case the spent waste is stored ON TOP OF THE REACTORS! After decades of “Nuclear Power is Safe” propaganda and the policy all along was to store 30 plus years of nuclear waste above the reactors.

At Fukushima Reactor #4 in a pool of water suspended 100 feet into the air, in a crumbling concrete structure are 1,535 spent nuclear rods (460 tons of waste in that one pool) that must be cooled in water at all times. If the pool leaks, those rods will be on fire within a few hours. That would only be the first domino to fall because the Japanese have a total of 11,138 spent fuel rods stored at the site in water pools excluding the rods in the pressure vessel.

• Reactor No. 1: 50 tons of nuclear fuel• Reactor No. 2: 81 tons• Reactor No. 1: 50 tons of nuclear fuel• Reactor No. 2: 81 tons Reactor No. 3: 88 tons• Reactor No. 4: 135 tons• Reactor No. 5: 142 tons• Reactor No. 6: 151 tons• Also, a separate ground-level fuel pool contains 1,097 tons of fuel; and some 70 tons of nuclear materials are kept on the grounds in dry storage. Source

Once reactor 4 begins to flare, the entire stockpile will eventually catch fire and a nuclear waste stockpile will burn like a junkyard of a million used car tires. It could burn for decades sending radioactive smoke and ash to cover the entire world. And what is private industry saying? What is the US government saying? We are beginning a general election and this nuclear disaster is blacked out from the media and discussion. This was the nuclear disaster plan al along—ignore it. No debate. In fact, the United States is allowing private industry to build nuclear power plants with the new twist of having the local communities in Iowa pay for the plants up front first so they are committed.

Radiation over scale in Katsushika Tokyo

Highest Radiation in L.A. Air Yet

It would destroy the world environment and our civilization. This is not rocket science, nor does it connect to the pugilistic debate over nuclear power plants. This is an issue of human survival.

Japan’s former Ambassador to Switzerland, Mr. Mitsuhei Murata, was invited to speak at the Public Hearing of the Budgetary Committee of the House of Councilors on March 22, 2012, on the Fukushima nuclear power plants accident. Before the Committee, Ambassador Murata strongly stated that if the crippled building of reactor unit 4—with 1,535 fuel rods in the spent fuel pool 100 feet (30 meters) above the ground—collapses, not only will it cause a shutdown of all six reactors but will also affect the common spent fuel pool containing 6,375 fuel rods, located some 50 meters from reactor 4. In both cases the radioactive rods are not protected by a containment vessel; dangerously, they are open to the air. This would certainly cause a global catastrophe like we have never before experienced. He stressed that the responsibility of Japan to the rest of the world is immeasurable. Such a catastrophe would affect us all for centuries. Ambassador Murata informed us that the total numbers of the spent fuel rods at the Fukushima Daiichi site excluding the rods in the pressure vessel is 11,421 (396+615+566+1,535+994+940+6375).

I asked top spent-fuel pools expert Mr. Robert Alvarez, former Senior Policy Adviser to the Secretary and Deputy Assistant Secretary for National Security and the Environment at the U.S. Department of Energy, for an explanation of the potential impact of the 11,421 rods.

I received an astounding response from Mr. Alvarez [updated 4/5/12]:

In recent times, more information about the spent fuel situation at the Fukushima-Dai-Ichi site has become known. It is my understanding that of the 1,532 spent fuel assemblies in reactor No. 304 assemblies are fresh and unirradiated. This then leaves 1,231 irradiated spent fuel rods in pool No. 4, which contain roughly 37 million curies (~1.4E+18 Becquerel) of long-lived radioactivity. The No. 4 pool is about 100 feet above ground, is structurally damaged and is exposed to the open elements. If an earthquake or other event were to cause this pool to drain this could result in a catastrophic radiological fire involving nearly 10 times the amount of Cs-137 released by the Chernobyl accident.

The infrastructure to safely remove this material was destroyed as it was at the other three reactors. Spent reactor fuel cannot be simply lifted into the air by a crane as if it were routine cargo. In order to prevent severe radiation exposures, fires and possible explosions, it must be transferred at all times in water and heavily shielded structures into dry casks.. As this has never been done before, the removal of the spent fuel from the pools at the damaged Fukushima-Dai-Ichi reactors will require a major and time-consuming re-construction effort and will be charting in unknown waters. Despite the enormous destruction cased at the Da–Ichi site, dry casks holding a smaller amount of spent fuel appear to be unscathed.

Based on U.S. Energy Department data, assuming a total of 11,138 spent fuel assemblies are being stored at the Dai-Ichi site, nearly all, which is in pools. They contain roughly 336 million curies (~1.2 E+19 Bq) of long-lived radioactivity. About 134 million curies is Cesium-137 — roughly 85 times the amount of Cs-137 released at the Chernobyl accident as estimated by the U.S. National Council on Radiation Protection (NCRP). The total spent reactor fuel inventory at the Fukushima-Daichi site contains nearly half of the total amount of Cs-137 estimated by the NCRP to have been released by all atmospheric nuclear weapons testing, Chernobyl, and world-wide reprocessing plants (~270 million curies or ~9.9 E+18 Becquerel).

It is important for the public to understand that reactors that have been operating for decades, such as those at the Fukushima-Dai-Ichi site have generated some of the largest concentrations of radioactivity on the planet.

Many of our readers might find it difficult to appreciate the actual meaning of the figure, yet we can grasp what 85 times more Cesium-137 than the Chernobyl would mean. It would destroy the world environment and our civilization. This is not rocket science, nor does it connect to the pugilistic debate over nuclear power plants. This is an issue of human survival.

There was a Nuclear Security Summit Conference in Seoul on March 26 and 27, and Ambassador Murata and I made a concerted effort to find someone to inform the participants from 54 nations of the potential global catastrophe of reactor unit 4. We asked several participants to share the idea of an Independent Assessment team comprised of a broad group of international experts to deal with this urgent issue.

I would like to introduce Ambassador Murata’s letter to the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to convey this urgent message and also his letter to Japan’s Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda for Japanese readers. He emphasized in the statement that we should bring human wisdom to tackle this unprecedented challenge.

Ambassador Murata’s letter says:

It is no exaggeration to say that the fate of Japan and the whole world depends on NO.4 reactor. This is confirmed by most reliable experts like Dr. Arnie Gundersen or Dr. Fumiaki Koide.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

All we have to do is invent the means to fix the problem. From scratch. Pure genius.

DRC's picture
DRC

The GOP’s nuke-dump donor:Harold Simmons has given the most money to Republicans this election.

Maps from the Texas Water Development Board showed the site sitting directly above the Ogallala Aquifer, a massive but shallow underground reservoir, which sprawls beneath eight Great Plains states and supplies roughly a third of the nation’s irrigation water. If large quantities of radiation were to seep into this water table, the effects could be devastating. After WCS’s application came up for review, however, something curious happened: The board shifted the official boundaries of the Ogallala, a move WCS claims in its official correspondence was based partly on data the company provided, though Water Board spokeswoman Samantha Pollard argues this isn’t true. “The reevaluation stemmed from work done for the development of groundwater availability models and related projects,” she says. As it turns out, five of the board’s six members had been appointed by Gov. Rick Perry, who’s taken more than $1.2 million in campaign contributions from WCS’s owner, Harold Simmons.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

(This is a copy of a letter I recently submitted along with my signature on a petition to the Maryland State legislature in support of a bill establishing a wind farm off Maryland's coastline. Parts of it deal with this subject.)

(on League of Conservation Voters web site)

Support wind power in Maryland

Dear Senator,

I strongly urge you to vote as soon as possible for the Maryland Offshore Wind Energy Act. This historic clean energy legislation with will create much-needed jobs, reduce our dependence on dirty energy sources and curb harmful global warming pollution. Additionally, this legislation will save Marylanders millions of dollars in avoided health costs from pollution.

Please vote for Maryland Offshore Wind Energy Act immediately.

[my contribution begins here]

Decrease our states need to burn coal or fracking gas to run power plants, and also help reduce the need for additional nuclear power plants. Through implementing more wind energy production or solar, you help society by reducing mercury pollution in the air, water, and seafood, but also reduce the occurecnce of breathing disorders such as asthma. The net health benefits of replacing fossil fuel based energy or nuclear power with wind and solar energy that are hard to quantify in dollars, but they are real.

While its unlikely that we would have a Fukushima situation occur on the Chesapeake, another Three Mile Island or Chernobyl could happen. Look how close the earthquake near the North Anna nuclear power plant last August came to fracturing the underground cooling system pipes that transport cooling water to and from the lake. The other close call was the dam that forms Lake Anna ... that dam has been found to be vulnerable to earthquakes such as this one ... if it fails, there is no way to prevent a meltdown. The lake will become a river again in a matter of hours, leaving an isufficient level of cooling water to safely shutdown the plant. Don't forget how close the flooding along the Missouri River came to knocking out two nuclear power plants. While the sight of cooling towers at nuclear power plants scares some people, it gives me a little more secure feeling that a cooling system power outage is less likely to meltdown a plant ... some flow of cooling water can be maintained due to gravity and the weight of the water in the towers ... pumps outages can be partially overcome. An earthquake along the shore at Calvert Cliffs could also affect the cooling system pipes there. Sometimes you do not know a fault exists until after an earthquake occurs.

I have lived in Maryland since 1965, and clearly remember the tensions and uncertainty caused by the meltdown at Three Mile Island in 1979. The popular belief is that nobody died because of Three Mile Island ... I disagree ... please watch the following videos :

"Three Mile Island: The Controversy Continues" ... at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Od0aJXyM8k , and
"Three Mile Island Revisited" ... http://blip.tv/envirovideo/three-mile-island-revisited-4917737 .

My home in Catonsville lies within 60 miles of four operating nuclear power facilities, and downwind of dozens of coal or gas fired power plants. If I could afford to move, I would. Since I can't, you can help by making people like me feel safer by voting for bills such as this that promote safer forms of energy. It may not be a perfect bill, but does the perfect bill even exist ? I doubt you have ever really seen one. After passing this bill, please research solar and wind energy for home use, and write some bills to make it easier for home owners to install solar and wind energy systems at theis homes. There are companies willing to lease solar panels for electricity and hot water production to home owners, but my county and HOA are behind the times and would not currently approve solar panels or a vertical axis wind turbine (VAWT). I'd rather look at solar panels or a VAWT that sticks up 2-3 feet above the roof line on someones house than the smog that settles in our area in ummers due partly to the above mentioned power plants.

Thank you for your time.

[Note : The 2012 session of the Maryland General Assembly ended last night, at midnight on Monday April the 9th. I have not yet determined the final outcome of this bill, or many others, due to the late hour of the session ending. ]

miksilvr

EPA to raise limits for radiation exposure while Canada turns off fallout detectors

The EPAmaintains a set of so-called "Protective Action Guides" (PAGs). These PAGs are being quickly revised to radically increase the allowable levels ofiodine-131(a radioactive isotope) to anywhere from 3,000 to 100,000 times the currently allowable levels.

There is a plan, you see, for the government to survive every disaster that comes our way. You're just not part of it. The government feels that its own survival is far more important than yours. And just to make sure you don't interfere with its own plans, the government is going to turn off the radiation detectors, raise the official EPA limits of radioactive exposure, urge Americans to avoid preparing for fallout, and then pretend absolutely nothing's wrong. Keep on buying, consuming and paying your bills, all you voters!

Other stories from Japan--certainly not from the United States.

1400 Bq/Kg of Shiitake mushroom served in kindergarten

Posted by Mochizuki on April 5th, 2012

1400 Bq/Kg of cesium was measured from Shiitake mushroom served for school lunch of a kindergarten.
It was 3/21/2012, in Okazaki city Aichi. 2kg of the mushroom was served for 530 of the students and staff.
The mushroom was shipped from Ibaraki prefecture, 30kg has already been distributed in Okazaki city.

520 Bq/kg of Cesium in Spinach in Fukushima City, Cesium Is From Polyethylene Covering WEDNESDAY, APRIL 11, 2012

Fukushima Prefecture announced on April 11 that radioactive cesium exceeding the national safety limit (100 becquerels/kg ) was detected from spinach grown in Fukushima City.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Gundersen: No. 3 fuel pool worse off than No. 4 — Mechanically it’s rubble, the pool is rubble — Nobody has even gotten near it yet.April 10, 2012

Listen to the broadcast now by clicking here

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Thanks for this stuff, Anti, I'm using it on a thread in the environment discussing something apparently Thom talked about on his show, that is, building more nuclear plants to save the industrial growth machine.

This is probably the most critical issue the entire techno industrial neoliberal system faces at this moment as we stumble ever onward over a cliff into the depths of a catastrophe of proportions beyond any horror of the Twentieth Century.

.ren's picture
.ren

Yeah, I am amazed how little coverage we are getting in the United States. Those food contamination stories are just a few of hundreds of such stories from Japan. The wind is blowing radioactive isotopes all over the place. That audio interview above with Dr. Gundersen of Fairewinds Associates will scare the hell out of you. Here is his latest:

Tokyo Soil Samples Would Be Considered Nuclear Waste In The US

Shining the Light on the Triple Meltdown at Fukushima Daiichi

1/3 of Japanese children tested had lumps in their thyroids from iodine.(13 minutes in video).

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Thanks, guys, love the posts ... they scare the hell out of me, but we need to know this stuff. Everybody needs to hear or read this stuff, especially those still in belief that nuclear power can be or is safe. You are finding great sources of input, beyond my scope. Keep it coming. If you can, Anti, call Thom on the air, and talk to him about the Arnie Gunderson radio segment, or ask him to have Gunderson on his show (I do not know an effective email address to use for suggested guests, but including this audio segment and the web address for Farewinds Associates may convince Louise or someone else on the staff to invite Gunderson). Makes you want to go shopping for a lead rain hat or umbrella !

Here is the Farewinds Associates web site mentioned at the end of the Arnie Gunderson segment of the radio show :

http://www.fairewinds.com/

This web site looks like a great source for information on Fukushima and other aspects of nuclear power.

miksilvr

Hello Miksilvr,

I think Thom's group will see Arnie Gundersen's work and have him on in the future. Thom has argued that any amount of radiation is unsafe and Gunderson has some really good research supporting that view.

Cancer Risk To Young Children Near Fukushima Daiichi Underestimated

In the above linked video, Gundersen shows a video by Ian Goddard that studied 400 thousand nuclear workers in 15 countries. It turns out that low-dose over a long period of time is more dangerous than short high levels of radiation as in a nuclear blast. The media is saying that the effect of low doses of radiation is not known. This is false.

These data from the National Academy of Sciences are freely available to all major media and government officials. Yet rather than informing the public of the actual state of radiation science and the real risks of nuclear power, they lead us instead to believe that 20 milisieverts of radiation is either safe or its effects are a complete mystery.

>> CBS Transcript: "Residents traveled to Tokyo to protest after the government loosened safety limits despite the fact the long-term impact of low-dose radiation is unknown. The long-term impact of low-dose radiation is unknown."

Here are the high points of the studies of low slow doses of radiation on population.

In 2007 the largest study ever conducted on occupational low-dose radiation exposure was published. The study contained over 400 thousand nuclear-industry workers from 15 countries. The study found a significant relation between radiation dose and cancer mortality...

So let's recap, the 15-country study authored by 51 radiation scientists, is the largest study ever conducted of nuclear workers; it found increased cancer risk among workers; the average worker dose was 2 millisiverts per year; most workers received under 5 millisiverts per year; and the maximum dose allowed in Japan is 20 millisieverts per year, 10 times higher than the average annual worker dose and 4 times higher than most worker doses.

Women and young girls have a higher chance of developing cancers from low-slow doses of radiation. BIER stands for Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation and lists the radiation dose and cancer rise for a population.

Now in Japan, the Japanese government is allowing people to go back into these radiation zones, when the radiation exposure is 2 rem. What that means is that they are willing to say that your chances of getting cancer are 1 in 500 if you go back into these areas that are presently off limits, and the exposure levels are 2 rem or 20 milisieverts in a year.

But it is worse than that. The number that we are using in the BIER Report is for the entire population, old people and young. And old people are going to die of something else before a cancer gets to them, whereas young people have rapidly dividing cells and they live a longer time, so they are more likely to get cancer. So if you go into the BIER Report and you look at Table 12-D, you will see that young women have a 5 times that number chance of getting cancer than the population as a whole. So young girls in the Fukushima Prefecture are going to get 5 times the exposure they would get from 2 rem. That means that about one in 100 young girls is going to get cancer as a result of the exposure in Fukushima Prefecture. And that is for every year they are in that radiation zone. If you are in there for 5 years, it is 5 out of 100 young girls will get cancer.Now the BIER Report only addresses cancer, and of course, there are other effects of radiation that are not included in BIER, so it is actually worse than that.

Today Thom mentioned that he did not allow his children to have dental X-rays. It turns out that BIER studies supports his fears.

In 2010, Bhatti and colleagues published a meta-analysis of studies that examined the influence of medical X-rays examinations on the incidence of chromosomal translocations. They sought to gain greater precision on the impact of low-dose radiation by pooling data from multiple studies.

Not only did they find a dose-response in the low-dose range, but to their surprise the frequency of chromosomal aberrations per unit of radiation increased below approximately 20 millisiverts. Moreover, at doses below approximately 10 millisieverts the frequency of aberrations per unit of radiation increased further still, and by an order of magnitude. Given these findings, evidence for the carcinogenicity of radiation at low doses could hardly be more logically indicated. Let's examine this formally.

The Hypothetical Syllogism is a two-premise argument schema of classical logic of the form: Given that, if it's the case that P, then Q, and if it's the case that Q, then R, then we may conclude that it's also the case that if P, then R.

Plugging the scientific evidence we've just reviewed into the Hypothetical Syllogism we may reason: Given that, if there's low-dose radiation, then there's more chromosomal harm, and if there's more chromosomal harm, then there's more cancer, then we may conclude that if there's low-dose radiation, then there's more cancer.

It's nice to hear true logical arguments such as the "Hypothetical Syllogism" Ian Goddard presented in the video. I strongly urge everyone to watch this video.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Updates from NHK WORLD News English :

Japanese government gives green light to restarting the reactor in Ohi
Osaka mayor criticizes govt. on reactor restart

Minamisoma residents visiting their homes

miksilvr

Updates from NHK WORLD English :

Why containment vessels must be examined

TEPCO says no water leaks found at No.2 reactor

It looks like the fear of nuclear power in Japan that resulted from the ongoing disaster that is Fukushima has opened a new market for US fracking companies :

Mitsubishi, Mitsui to export US LNG to Japan

And on the lighter side, examples of ways the Japanese people are coping with the disasters :

Inner Vision

Lingering Pain

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

home page for NHK WORLD English : http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/index.html

miksilvr
Quote miksilvr:

It looks like the fear of nuclear power in Japan that resulted from the ongoing disaster that is Fukushima has opened a new market for US fracking companies :

Mitsubishi, Mitsui to export US LNG to Japan

At least when one of those blows up it doesn't leave radioactive debris all over the planet.

Is this perhaps a new form of marketing, or simply more disaster capitalism at work?

Currently, the United States market for LNG proposals is looking risky for investors.

.ren's picture
.ren

Like in Chernobyl, red forest appeared in in Fukushima. April 18th, 2012

Red forest..

The Red Forest (Ukrainian: Рудий ліс, Russian: Рыжий лес), formerly the Worm Wood Forest, refers to the trees in the 10 km² surrounding the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. The name ‘Red Forest’ comes from the ginger-brown colour of the pine trees after they died following the absorption of high levels of radiation from the Chernobyl accident on April 26, 1986.[1] In the post-disaster cleanup operations, the Red Forest was bulldozed and buried in ‘waste graveyards’.[2] The site of the Red Forest remains one of the most contaminated areas in the world today.[3] [Link]

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Updates from NHK WORLD English :

NHK conducted a phone survey last weekend asking people living in the town and the surrounding area how they felt about the plans to restart the two nuclear reactors located in Ohi.

Survey shows mixed reaction to restarting reactor

The Japanese government has been searching for a new leader for the ailing utility that owns the Fukushima nuclear power plant, the Tokyo Electric Power Company, and plans on committing more than 10 billion dollars in public funds to the utility.

TEPCO to draw up renewal plan under new chairman

miksilvr
Yamashita banned to record findings suggestive of thyroid tuber

April 23rd, 2012

In the symposium, a pulmonologist, Dr. Okayama gave a comment about the current situation of Japanese medical industry.

He is from Sendai Miyagi. He attended the symposium about radiation therapy held on 4/21/2012, where the chairman was Yamashita Shunichi.

When he sees carotid by ultrasonic echo for the treatment of arterial sclerosis on this ordinary work, he can see thyroid as well.

He often finds thyroid tuber.

Ultrasonic echo can be used by a doctor and engineer, but both of them are supposed to record findings suggestive of thyroid tuber or cyst even if it was originally to see carotid.

However, Yamashita Shunichi requested doctors in the symposium not to record the findings because it causes unnecessary concern of patients.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Thank God that at least the Japanese public has come to its senses. I just might punch the next guy who says to me that nuclear power is "green".

mdhess's picture
mdhess

Russia Stunned After Japanese Plan to Evacuate 40 Million Revealed

By The European Union Times

18 April 12

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist
Quote Antifascist:

Russia Stunned After Japanese Plan to Evacuate 40 Million Revealed

By The European Union Times

18 April 12

Quote European Union Times:

Even though this crisis in Japan has been described as “a nuclear war without a war” and the US Military is being reported is now stocking up on massive amounts of anti-radiation pills in preparation for nuclear fallout, there remains no evidence at all the ordinary peoples are being warned about this danger in any way whatsoever.

So much for enjoying the oysters here in Willapa Bay.

.ren's picture
.ren

Photo of Dead Bird with Radioactive Cesium 137 Particles Internal and External. April 29, 2012

Prof. Mori of Tokyo university took a picture of a Bush Warbler in Fukushima by autoradiography.
It took one month to capture the radiation from cesium 137.
The Bush Warbler was found dead in Lidate Mura last December.
This photo was taken from the stomach of the bird. Black spots in the wing parts show radioactive particles stuck to the wings. The ones in the body parts show the radioactive particles taken into the body. Biological concentration is assumed to have happened through contaminated worms.

Massive radioactive gas covering Fukushima plants May 1st, 2012

Oshidori Mako talked at Osaka Bar Association when she asked Tepco , “We see gas coming out from Fukushima plants at night. It looks like smoke. What is that ? ” Tepco replied it’s water vapor. She asked them again, if it’s radioactive. They answered it is radioactive, and it comes out in day time and night time.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Hot Particles and Measurement of Radioactivity

Fairewinds' Chief Engineer Arnie Gundersen and Boston Chemical Data Corporation’s Founder Marco Kaltofen have an in-depth conversation regarding the challenges of measuring radiation exposures to people around the globe. Kaltofen explains the scientific methodology involved in accurately analyzing and measuring radioactive releases from Fukushima Daiichi, including the impact of hot particles on human physiology.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

The Worst Yet to Come? Why Nuclear Experts Are Calling Fukushima a Ticking Time-Bomb

Experts say acknowledging the threat would call into question the safety of dozens of identically designed nuclear power plants in the U.S.

---------------

Nuclear experts noted that other lethal radioactive isotopes would also be released in such a fire, but that the focus is on cesium-137 because it easily volatilizes and spreads pervasively, as it did during the Chernobyl accident and again after the disaster at Fukushima Daiichi last year.

With a half-life of 30 years, it gives off penetrating radiation as it decays and can remain dangerous for hundreds of years. Once in the environment, it mimics potassium as it accumulates in the food chain; when it enters the human body, about 75 percent lodges in muscle tissue, including the heart.

The Threat Not Just to Japan But to the U.S. and the World

An even more catastrophic worst-case scenario follows that a fire in the pool at unit 4 could then spread, igniting the irradiated fuel throughout the nuclear site and releasing an amount of cesium-137 equaling a doomsday-like load, roughly 85 times more than the release at Chernobyl.

It’s a scenario that would literally threaten Japan’s annihilation and civilization at large, with widespread worldwide environmental radioactive contamination.

“Japan would suffer the worst, but it would be a global catastrophe,” said Kevin Kamps, nuclear waste expert at the watchdog group Beyond Nuclear. “It already is, it already has been, but it would dwarf what’s already happened.”

.ren's picture
.ren

Strontium 90 spread over 1000km evenly in Pacific ocean

17,020 Becquerels/Kg Cesium in Dirt Cleaned Out from Elementary School Swimming Pool in Ibaraki Prefecture

And who did the cleaning? Children.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Fukushima Daiichi: The Truth and the Future

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Flashpoints Daily Newsmag 05-09-12. Dr. Micio Kaku of Fukushima Situation.

US Physicist Michio Kaku: "Unit 2 we now know completely liquified"

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist
Black substance in Hitachi city Ibaraki

Radiation measurement of black substance in Hitachi city Ibaraki, where is about 100km from Fukushima. It’s on the school road, park, street, everywhere....This person had beta ray burns to measure the black substance.

240,000 Bq/Kg at 5km from Imperial Palace

A local citizen’s group found this and had it analyzed by Prof. Yamauchi from Kobe university. He measured 243,000 Bq/Kg of cesium and the surface dose was 2μSv/h.

Mr. Ishikawa, the chairman of citizen’s group states, the black substance is now everywhere in Tokyo, and it moves by wind or rain.

Roughly estimating, the soil around the black substance is contaminated as 15,600,000 Bq/m2 (cesium134/137).

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Fukushima Nuclear Disaster: Socializing Risks, Privatizing Profitsby Jan Haverkamp.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

The Nanny State takes over Fukushima from TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Corporation) because now it is unprofitable.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Mutated canola in Japan looking like a new kind of plants

Unmutated canola plant

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist
Quote Antifascist:

Flashpoints Daily Newsmag 05-09-12. Dr. Micio Kaku of Fukushima Situation.

US Physicist Michio Kaku: "Unit 2 we now know completely liquified"

The KPFA announcer echoes my own sentiments with his comments before his live interview with Michio Kaku. All the other news of the day, every day, pales in comparison to this global life threatening drama taking place at Fukushima. And our main stream ignores it while it covers daily nonsense like trivial dramas associated with Dancing With the Stars. Like ball room dancing on the deck of the Titanic.

How many people in the U.S. know about the technician who refused to obey orders and saved Northern Japan? Kaku says he's a hero over there. I wonder if he lost his job?

I still miss living near KPFA.

.ren's picture
.ren

Double-headed flowers in Chiba and Gunma, Japan

FRIDAY, MAY 18, 2012

Radioactive Tea from Chiba, This Year's First Pick: Max 14 Bq/kg of Cesium, Brewed, Exceeding the Safety Limit

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

The Pilgrim Nuclear Power Plant in Plymouth, Massachusetts has 37 years, or 4 times the amount of nuclear waste as Fukushima unit four has stored in open water pools (Audio at 13minutes 50 seconds). Unit 4 has 135 tons of radioactive waste in pools so that would mean at least 540 tons of radioactive waste stored at the Pilgrim plant. That is why the American media will not keep Americans updated on the three Fukushima nuclear meltdowns—it brings attention to all this hot nuclear waste being stored on site of the American nuclear plants.

Storage of spent fuel rods at New England nuclear power plants generates fear

Nationally, the nation’s 104 nuclear power plants are now storing some 63,000 metric tons of spent fuel rods, according to 2010 numbers compiled by the Nuclear Energy Institute.In New England, the four operating nuclear power plants are storing at least 2,900 metric tons of spent fuel, according to current figures provided by two plants and 2002 data available for two others, which is the most recent available. The Indian Point Energy Center nearby in New York state is storing at least 903 metric tons of spent fuel.

New England’s plants have re-racked their spent-fuel storage pools many times over the past few decades. In many cases, the stored spent-fuel rods are now packed closer together than ever before - nearly as close as they were positioned inside the reactor.

The storage pool at Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Station in Vernon, Vt., was originally licensed to hold 600 spent fuel assemblies. There are now 2,935 assemblies in the pool, or 932 metric tons of radioactive waste.

At Millstone, the pool at the Unit 3 reactor was originally licensed to hold 756 assemblies. It now holds 1,040 assemblies, or 449 metric tons of waste, and is licensed to handle up to 1,860 assemblies.

Millstone’s Unit 2 reactor was originally licensed to hold 677 spent fuel assemblies. It now holds 909 assemblies, or 304 metric tons, and is licensed to hold 1,346 assemblies. The Pilgrim Nuclear Power Generating Station currently holds 2,918 fuel assemblies. Its original license allowed 880 fuel assemblies, according to NRC documents. The license was later updated to allow for 3,859 assemblies.

The spent fuel pool at Seabrook Nuclear Power Station in New Hampshire, the newest of New England plants - Seabrook came online in 1990 - was originally licensed to handle 1,236 fuel assemblies and now has 936 assemblies in its pool. There are also 192 fuel assemblies in dry cask storage.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

I told em more than forty years ago it's a bad idea. Nobody listens.

.ren's picture
.ren

West side of the Fukushima reactor4 building bulging.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

West side of the Fukushima reactor4 building bulging.

From the link:

"However, Tepco states still it’s within the safety limit of Building standard law. (65mm)"

Let's hope it holds, even with an earthquake. It was supposedly built to withstand earthquakes.

.ren's picture
.ren

Reading this thread and other info about the horrors of this post-earthquake reactor, has permanently closed the door in my mind to any reason for continuing with the nuclear reactors.

So with fossil fuel and nuclear energy both gone (hopefully), how can energy be provided for the vast needs that we have on the globe? Can the sun's energy be developed to be vital enough for huge amounts of work? Certainly wind power is not able to be more developed. Some new water energy might be a possibility, if bringing water into land-locked parts of the larger continents might offer some new work, but not enough probably.

This is something that needs to be intensely pursued, unless we want to find oursleves back in the stone age. Which is what I so fear for Japan, at the moment, and for the vulnerability of all other nuclear reactor areas around the planet.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Karolina. I think you are seeing the real depths of this problem. It's a huge conundrum and as the cheap energy drug providing the "vast" dependency needs of this globe begins to get more and more expensive, and causes more and more damage to the basis for life itself, human beings hooked into and on it are beginning to wake up to the real dangers we face. Their reactions are multi-varied. Societies on the globe as a whole's reactions are multi-varied. But I think we are all beginning to recognize we've painted ourselves into a corner in the last two hundred years.

Most of us who have begun to see this are going through various psychological reactions. I think that's one of the most important things to make oneself aware of, because whatever we do, we can't do it while psychologically impaired by some form of PTSD.

For anyone who hasn't tried to approach this aspect of this problem, I can suggest a good starter piece:

Ecological Collapse, Trauma Theory and Permaculture.

Personally I'm doing things from this perspective (along with practicing permaculture with my community of friends here in the Willapa Watershed):

Learning To Love A Wounded World, By Dianne Monroe

I prefer to keep my own personal stuff off this board, but here's a link to a piece I did about four years ago that parallels Dianne's philosophy:

Elk at Fallen Ancient

The problem is huge, maybe bigger than any one of us can imagine. We do not have to go back to the stone age. But we will surely have to make some big changes.

Don't let your hair catch on fire. Breathe deeply. Meditation's good.

.ren's picture
.ren

German radiation professor warns of possible nuclear explosion at Fukushima.

Actual Fukushima worker reports, “In case of the major aftershock, all the reactors will be in Crisis.”

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Ren, thank you for the links. They are giving me a whole new area of reality to think about and explore.

I appreciate you letting me read the writing about your experience with the beautiful, fallen casualty from another era, who put you in the middle of a herd of today's still living beings.

The elk have been able to adapt, and so have been able to survive. I'm not sure that the entire human species will be able to adapt to the changes that we seem to be facing.

Although I have never been in Washington state, I have driven through Canada to Banff and Lake Louise, and then re-entered the United States on Montana's Road to the Sun. It is a hauntingly beautiful part of the North American continent, and you no doubt know how fortunate you and your family are to live in such splendor.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Radioautograph of Japanese Cypress Leaves from Iitate-mura, Fukushima

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Fukushima, Washington Hides ‘Black Swan’ of Economic Collapse

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

M5.2 Earthquake hit Tokyo at 17:48 6/1/2012

What is shindo converted to Richter scale?

"M5.4, max shindo=5- (observed at several points, 5- means it's pretty scary if you're in the area because big things are falling around)."

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Deformed fish is served at Sushi bar

A few tens of tones sardines washed up on fishing port in Chiba

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Tokyo women’s medical university hospital “We are told not to give radiation inspection by the gov.”

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

WBAI's Robert Knight Hosts Arnie Gundersen: Latest Fukushima Issues and the U.S. Domestic Nuclear Environment

Robert Knight of "Five O'Clock Shadow" talks with Arnie Gundersen of Fairewinds. The two discuss the latest issues concerning FukushimaDaiichi and also the domestic nuclear environment of the U.S. Included in this interview: an alarming coolant failure and heat spike at Fukushima Daiichi Unit Four’s precariously-perched “Rockabye Baby” spent fuel pool; close calls at Japanese reactors other than Fukushima Daiichi after the tsunami because of cooling pump failures; Fukushima-related ”hot tuna” delivering radioactive cesium to America’s west coast; a domestic review of the resignation of NRC chair Gregory Jaczko; resuscitation of the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository, and American industry resistance to apply the “lessons learned” at Fukushima Daiichi.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist
Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.