The Supreme Court has finished hearing arguments about the constitutionality of Obamacare

4 posts / 0 new

And within the next few months they’ll issue their ruling. Should the five right-wing justices on the high court do what many are expecting them to do, and strike down the individual mandate – then it COULD lead to the end of the for-profit health insurance industry as we know it.

That’s because other reforms within Obamacare force insurance companies to accept Americans regardless of pre-existing conditions and also outlaw rescissions – WHERE health insurers drop their customers when they get seriously sick. That means a bunch of sick Americans will flood the private health insurance market, forcing companies to actually pay for care, cutting million-dollar payrolls for health insurance executives, and cutting the fat dividend checks health insurance companies pay their investors.

The individual mandate was put in place to protect those private health insurers by giving them a pool of new, healthy, young customers to offset the influx of aging sick customers. So if the court strikes it down – President Obama isn’t the one who’s really screwed – it’s private health insurance companies.

And in the irony of all ironies – expect those same private health insurers to begin lobbying the Republican House of Representatives for some sort of mandate to protect them – forcing Republicans to switch sides to please their corporate donors. This fiasco is just getting started – stay tuned.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

Quote Thom Hartmann Administrator:

And within the next few months they’ll issue their ruling. Should the five right-wing justices on the high court do what many are expecting them to do, and strike down the individual mandate – then it COULD lead to the end of the for-profit health insurance industry as we know it.

I imagine they will not even bother with detailed Legal arguments and simply write "Because we Can"

Capital's picture
Capital

I believe that there is valid cause for concern regarding the individual mandate -- and not about the question of its constitutionality. If the Kaiser Health Reform Subsidy Calculator is accurate, a single 40 year-old, earning $15,400/yr. would be required to pay a monthly premium of $39.17, with a maximum out of pocket of $2,083. Am I the only one who sees a problem here?
http://healthreform.kff.org/SubsidyCalculator.aspx

sashasue's picture
sashasue
Quote Capital:
Quote Thom Hartmann Administrator:

I imagine they will not even bother with detailed Legal arguments and simply write "Because we Can"

I agree. That's the bottom line. Someone has to have the final say. It is the designed inertia in the Constitution. There's no requirement that a justice have a legal education or any legal experience.

chilidog

Currently Chatting

Should public radio program in the public interest?

NPR is supposed to be our national public radio, but they're barely covering climate issues that are in the public's interest.

Only one month ago, a national New York Times/CBS News poll found that half of all Americans think that global warming is already having a serious impact. Sixty percent of those surveyed even said that protecting our environment should be a priority “even at the risk of curbing economic growth.”