VOTER SUPPRESSION IN AZ ON 2/28/12

1 post / 0 new

Hello Thom~~~

When is a primary not a primary?

Along with other evidence of voter disenfranchisement in Arizona and a host of other infamous political ills here (thank you ALEC, Arpaio, Brewer, Pearce, et al.), a stealth form of voter suppression occurred on 2/28/12 during Arizona's primary for the Republican & Green parties' presidential candidates:

It was called a "presidential preference election" not a primary, by the parties involved.

ALL media called it a primary. Call it a toaster or a rose ~ it was a primary!

Under AZ's Open Primary Law, independents can register for a party with candidates in a primary.
However, Independents were deterred from voting in the "preference." I heard that quite a few were turned away from polling stations.

A mail-in format is now used in AZ (with the option to hand-deliver the ballot rather than mail it in); it's likely that a much higher number of voters would have more obvously been disenfranchised with the traditional walk-in voting format.

The RNC/RLC Romney machine was making sure that independents couldn't vote against him, as he's their pre-crowned candidate, I believe, because most registered Independents in AZ are probably dissatisfied with the Republican party, ie, it's not right-wing enough for them.

I was 45-years-registered Democratic, but am now registered Independent, and I always vote. I would have voted for the Madison WI Green candidate, Jill Stein, in the primary, had I known that I had to pre-register as a Green. But no notices were sent to inform us of the need to do so, nor of the registration deadline. Last fall I was sent a notice to register with a party for the primary at that time ~ but just wasn't informed about this situation in time.

" ... 48,023 people have registered to be voters in [Arizona] as independents ...

" ... this marks the first time in state history that the total number registered in this category has surpassed the number registered with either of the two largest recognized parties. ... "
[http://www.flagstaffbusinessnews.com/number-of-registered-independents-rising/ 4/23/11]

I don't know how many Independents knew to register with a party in time for the 2/28/12 primary.

I do know that I and others couldn't vote in the primary: our vote was suppressed.

Joyce Smith Tucson, AZ
joycetsmith1@aol.com

joyce in tucson's picture
joyce in tucson

Currently Chatting

Get. Money. Out.

Last week, the United States Senate actually considered a constitutional amendment on campaign finance. Last Monday, the Senate advanced Tom Udall's proposed amendment, which would allow Congress to regulate money in politics. Seventy-nine senators voted to allow debate on the measure.