VOTER SUPPRESSION IN AZ ON 2/28/12

1 post / 0 new

Hello Thom~~~

When is a primary not a primary?

Along with other evidence of voter disenfranchisement in Arizona and a host of other infamous political ills here (thank you ALEC, Arpaio, Brewer, Pearce, et al.), a stealth form of voter suppression occurred on 2/28/12 during Arizona's primary for the Republican & Green parties' presidential candidates:

It was called a "presidential preference election" not a primary, by the parties involved.

ALL media called it a primary. Call it a toaster or a rose ~ it was a primary!

Under AZ's Open Primary Law, independents can register for a party with candidates in a primary.
However, Independents were deterred from voting in the "preference." I heard that quite a few were turned away from polling stations.

A mail-in format is now used in AZ (with the option to hand-deliver the ballot rather than mail it in); it's likely that a much higher number of voters would have more obvously been disenfranchised with the traditional walk-in voting format.

The RNC/RLC Romney machine was making sure that independents couldn't vote against him, as he's their pre-crowned candidate, I believe, because most registered Independents in AZ are probably dissatisfied with the Republican party, ie, it's not right-wing enough for them.

I was 45-years-registered Democratic, but am now registered Independent, and I always vote. I would have voted for the Madison WI Green candidate, Jill Stein, in the primary, had I known that I had to pre-register as a Green. But no notices were sent to inform us of the need to do so, nor of the registration deadline. Last fall I was sent a notice to register with a party for the primary at that time ~ but just wasn't informed about this situation in time.

" ... 48,023 people have registered to be voters in [Arizona] as independents ...

" ... this marks the first time in state history that the total number registered in this category has surpassed the number registered with either of the two largest recognized parties. ... "
[http://www.flagstaffbusinessnews.com/number-of-registered-independents-rising/ 4/23/11]

I don't know how many Independents knew to register with a party in time for the 2/28/12 primary.

I do know that I and others couldn't vote in the primary: our vote was suppressed.

Joyce Smith Tucson, AZ
joycetsmith1@aol.com

joyce in tucson's picture
joyce in tucson

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.