What Happened To Thom?

10 posts / 0 new

What happened to Thom... or was he always an apologist for empire and the horrendous crimes they perpetuate?

President Obama continues the mass slaughter and murder of innocent civilians and all we here from Thom is the false meme of SCOTUS and the lessor of two evils. Disconcerting and very sad to see what and who Thom has become. This from a long time listener who can only listen to him in short bursts any more... Sad to see he has become a joke in the progressive blogasphere.

Didn't think it was possible, but Obama is surpassing Bush in his crimes against other nations and the people of the US...

I like Thom the person... Thom the Obama cheerleader and apologist, not so much.

WinstonSmith's picture
WinstonSmith

Comments

Hyperbole does not pass as analysis. Your disappointment in Obama not ending the crimes leads you to make stupid statements about his exceeding the Bush/Cheney crimes. He may not be ending what we can agree is a bad thing; but "we" did not present any mandate or base for that in an election, and particularly not in a mid-term that undercut any possibility to move our way.

When you look at the details, Obama has curtailed much of the wide-open imperial license. He has been resistant to the war mongers, but until there is public outrage and protest, he has to try to make the best of a bad situation. We did not elect Kucinich. There is plenty of stuff on other threads taking these points to nuance. I don't hear a cheerleader, and apologist is not the appropriate word either. In sum, as often stated, if he is not the solution he is also not the problem.

If you want to learn from his inability to end the empire and establish all the good things we would want America to be, I think Obama does provide a fine plumbline. Look at who is the problem and what they do. Look at what gets in the way of the good Obama would do. Look at the constraints in the Democratic Party. And look at why "the Left" has been unable to be effective too.

Then get smart about your analysis and your solution. No more whining.

DRC's picture
DRC

Wow, I thought this had something to do with Thom's recent disappearance from the board. I was wrong once again. Maybe I have selective hearing but I don't hear Thom "apologizing" for anyone very much.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

I so agree.

Lena's picture
Lena

We have always been at war with terrorists, or Iraq or Iran, Oceania?

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

"Hyperbole does not pass as analysis. Your disappointment in Obama not ending the crimes leads you to make stupid statements about his exceeding the Bush/Cheney crimes." DRC

With all due respect... this response was to be expected by the prime "thinking" offender on this site. If it was wrong when Bush/Cheney did it (and it was) it is just as wrong (or more so as it lends the imprimatur of being from the left) when the neoliberal conservative Obama does it.

"Hyperbole"... lol... I was holding back volumes of war crimes, torture, attacks on whistleblowers, etc. by President Obama. And no, I'm not disappointed as he is only slightly worse than I knew he would be. If people are disappointed in pres. Obama, they simply weren't paying attention.

DRC... again with all due respect, save your faux indignacy for those who buy your schtick...

"There are no excuses left. Either you join the revolt taking place on Wall Street and in the financial districts of other cities across the country or you stand on the wrong side of history. Either you obstruct, in the only form left to us, which is civil disobedience, the plundering by the criminal class on Wall Street and accelerated destruction of the ecosystem that sustains the human species, or become the passive enabler of a monstrous evil. Either you taste, feel and smell the intoxication of freedom and revolt or sink into the miasma of despair and apathy. Either you are a rebel or a slave.

To be declared innocent in a country where the rule of law means nothing, where we have undergone a corporate coup, where the poor and working men and women are reduced to joblessness and hunger, where war, financial speculation and internal surveillance are the only real business of the state, where even habeas corpus no longer exists, where you, as a citizen, are nothing more than a commodity to corporate systems of power, one to be used and discarded, is to be complicit in this radical evil. To stand on the sidelines and say “I am innocent” is to bear the mark of Cain; it is to do nothing to reach out and help the weak, the oppressed and the suffering, to save the planet. To be innocent in times like these is to be a criminal. Ask Tim DeChristopher."

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/the_best_among_us_20110929/

WinstonSmith's picture
WinstonSmith

So what do you actually bring to the party, Smith? Do you have a solution? Or just more slogans?

Like it or not, there WILL be a Presidential Election come November, and I'm sure you'll admit that who site in the Oval Office DOES matter (although I could be wrong on this point - some folks don't see that). What other choices do we have? Obviously none of the 4 clowns entered in the Republican Primaries will do. If they wind up with a brokered convention they could give us Christie, Jeb or Mitch Daniels, any of whom could, actually, be WORSE than the current field, and may have a better chance of WINNING!

Are you just planning not to vote? Jude Wyninski would be proud, as would all the state legislatures pushing through their voter suppression laws.

BULLETIN!: Barack Obama is NOT the perfect Progressive solution! I never thought he was. I, in fact, knew that he was probably slightly to the Right of Hillary when I voted for him in '08. But who or what do we have that's (1) a better alternative, and (b) has a snowball's chance of being elected?

mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee

Karel went on a rant yesterday afternoon about how only a few progressive talk hosts are not wimps. He named Mike Malloy and Hal Ginsberg and then added himself. Thom sometimes these days seems like the Mr. Limput of progressive talk radio. Did DC do this to him? Even Max Keiser says Thom isn't that liberal.

I agree with Karel on this as I think we need to become more aggressive and less polite. Let's take no prisoners.

Maybe Thom needs less sleep not more. I recall the day he didn't get that much sleep after returning from abroad and he was the old Thom again.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

I would settle for Thom merely treating Obama as he treated Bush. It would be nice if all of the "liberal" media treated Obama as they treated Bush. As it is... it seems war crimes, torture, slaughter of civilians, prosecution and torture of whistle blowers etc. etc. are fine as long as they are done under a Democratic president. Some honesty and truth would be nice.

I'm not dissapointed in Obama, I got what I exected. I am dissapointed in Thom.

Voting for the lessor of two evils is still voting in evil. And the faux meme of the SCOTUS selection is getting old fast...

The system has long been broken, and Obama is making it worse...

For the dead, the dying, the tortured, the evicted... the nuance of it being caused by Bush or Obama is probably lost on them...

Vote for this neoliberal war mongering corporate candidate or the other neoliberal war mongering corporate candidate... nothing will change until the system is changed...

WinstonSmith's picture
WinstonSmith
Quote WinstonSmith:

Vote for this neoliberal war mongering corporate candidate or the other neoliberal war mongering corporate candidate... nothing will change until the system is changed...

I don't agree with everything you've said, but I do have one major point of agreement with you. That's the point above. The system has become what's important. The system has perversely evolved to eclipse its proprietors -- the people and their elected representatives -- and their mandate has become to feed it and care for it, rather than to run it. The system has become self-perpetuating, to the benefit of the few, and unless it is fundamentally and infrastructurally changed, the personalities of those who run it are irrelevant and will remain that way, because their plans, wishes, and desires can never be implemented while the system remains as it is. This sad state of dysfunction has been definitively consolidated by the corporate fascist U.S. Supreme Court in Citizens vs. United.

Ulysses's picture
Ulysses

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.