545 People Responsible For America's Woes

11 posts / 0 new

The following is one of my all time favorite reads - Written by: Charlie Reese (RET.) Orlando Sentinel. Their are a few versions of this article in circulation and I believe this is the most current version available. Ultimately We the people are directly responsible for the type of government we have. Good day.

545 People Responsible For America's Woes

By Charley Reese

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, we have deficits? Have you ever wondered why, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does. You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does. You and I don't write the tax code. Congress does.

You and I don't set fiscal policy. Congress does. You and I don't control monetary policy. The Federal Reserve Bank does.

100 senators, 435 congressmen, one president and nine Supreme Court justices - 545 human beings out of the 300 million - are directly, legally, morally and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally-chartered, but private, central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman or a president to do one cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it.

No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con, regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a SPEAKER, who stood up and criticized G.W. Bush ALONE for creating deficits.

The president can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it. The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes.

Who is the speaker of the House? She is the leader of the majority party.

She and fellow Democrats, not the president, can approve any budget they want. If the president vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto.

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts - of incompetence and irresponsibility.

I can't think of a single domestic problem, from an unfair tax code to defense overruns, that is not traceable directly to those 545 people

When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it to be unfair. If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it to be in the red. If the Marines are in IRAQ, it's because they want them to be in IRAQ.

There are no insoluble government problems. Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power.

Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exist disembodied mystical forces like "the economy," "inflation" or "politics" that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people and they alone, are responsible. They and they alone, have the power. They and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses - provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees. We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess.

Liberty-Pac's picture
Liberty-Pac

Comments

There are no insoluble government problems ??? Not a single problem the nation faces can be dissolved?

And nice job dismissing any responsibility from the lobbyists. Let us apply that same logic to our drug laws. From hence forth we will only jail and fine the drug users, and leave the dealers and smugglers free.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

My question is why do WE keep electing people that uphold the status quo? We argue year after year between this candidate and that one and yet no matter who we elect the situation keeps gradually moving to the big money's advantage. It doesn't take a lot of head scratching to figure out that the actual democratic process has been hijacked. You can elect your Ron Paul or anyone you like and we will still have the same end results for the most part. So we can keep arguing and voting and dropping our jaws at the end results or something has to be done about the financial power brokers behind the real problems. Only If and when we the people do something about it will there ever be a noticeable change in the direction we're going as a country. Until then don't be shocked at the widening gap between the serfs and the royals and the undemocratic direction we are heading in.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

FDR is turning around in his grave.

If only we could find someone to whom his ghost could finally pass the "We the People" Truth, Strength & Democracy Torch.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Al Gore doesn't get credit for his tie-breaking vote in the Senate on Clinton's 1993 tax bill? No one remembers the "Gore Tax" attacks in 2000?

chilidog

Just remember that the number one priority of those 535 is to get re elected. That is true on both sides of the aisle. That's the problem. And the voters do not want to pay any taxes, yet they want all the government programs expanded. It doesn't take a genius to see the problem that creates.

mauiman58's picture
mauiman58

You are absolutely correct.

chilidog
Just remember that the number one priority of those 535 is to get re elected. That is true on both sides of the aisle. That's the problem.
No. Neither of you ar correct. That is the idea of a representative Government, as opposed to an autharitorian Government. Our reps should have, as their first concern, keeping their jobs. The problem is that they don't fear for their jobs.

Art's picture
Art

Easy to solve this ,we could start by changing legislation that anyone going for public office can only stand for max say 3-7 years an arbitrary amount ,the politicians could only stand by gaining two thirds of public support and the people themselves would propose legislation again to be passed by two thirds of the people.

This is all explained in the book tomorrows god by Neale Donald Walsch in the chapter Tomorrows god and real life .In a proper functioning democracy the more people making the final decision the closer to democracy we have not 545 people but millions of us voting on so many issues .Why ? because this affects us all and the right of freedom calls us to experience what it means to be free ,freedom is what the soul is and it knows this and what the soul knows the body must experience ,why do you think people have died for freedom .The founders of the United States where placing there sacred honor and there lives for freedom ,free from the tyranny of the British establishment as they felt could not offer them the life that they wanted to experience.They said things like give me liberty or give me death.

Against such courage ,oppressors have no power,in such moments of declarations it becomes clear where the true power lies-and where it has always been.As soon as those who were oppressed decided that they were not living a better life ,but rather a life not worth living that they took back their power ,and DISMANTLED THEIR GOVERNMENT.

Power is always given the people who are oppressed at some point in time gave there power away perhaps it was for safety,security,survival true power is getting what you wanted,no matter what the circumstances.

Remember we have all the power the 1% will no longer create our world when we decide to take back responsibility for our planet.

namaste

humanitys team's picture
humanitys team

Or, we could change voting practices to where everyone votes, the votes are guarded and there is a paper trail....

Constitutional republics have a better chance of staying democratic, because, as we know, much of the general public can easily follow what they are conditioned to think is the right thing to vote for, and actually sabotage themselves.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Nice post Karolina. What do folks in this forum think about scrapping the Electoral College?

Quote Karolina:

Or, we could change voting practices to where everyone votes, the votes are guarded and there is a paper trail....

Constitutional republics have a better chance of staying democratic, because, as we know, much of the general public can easily follow what they are conditioned to think is the right thing to vote for, and actually sabotage themselves.

Liberty-Pac's picture
Liberty-Pac

Currently Chatting

A Warren Run Would Change Everything

Over the past few weeks, Elizabeth Warren has emerged as a leader of progressives on Capitol Hill. She led the charge against the part of the CRomnibus that gutted our financial regulations, and she is still fighting the White House over its nomination of bankster Antonio Weiss as Undersecretary of Domestic Finance in the Treasury Department.