Are there any REAL progressives in Hollywood?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
rigel1
rigel1's picture

I'm beginning to think no.

With few exceptions, everyone in Hollywood claims to be anywhere from a liberal to a communist. I'm calling B.S. on this one. Lets have a bit of a reality check here.

Some of our Hollywood friends claim to adore the Cuban health care model. Really? Do you actually believe that these nit wits want to give up their gold plated health care and private doctors who attend to their every whim? Sure, that's what they want. They want to give up total control and go sit with the masses in a government controlled waiting room. Yeah, thats the ticket. Sean Penn and Micheal Moore want to sit next to you and me to wait for their rationed health care. You can bet that these guys have no intention of sitting around, reading a magazine and waiting to hear "next".

Okay, we have esablished that theses clowns want the Cuban model for you but not so much for themselves. So what do they want?

In their dream society, there will be no classes. So they would gleefully give up:

1) Their multi milllion dollar castles.

2) Their limo's.

3) Their private jets.

4) Their unlimited world travel.

They would have to give up their cushy, fantasy world of entertainment and join us in the workers paradise. I'm sure that's what they want. They want to get up at 6am everyday and go to work until 5 for the rest of their lives. Anyone who believes that these hypocrites have any sincerity at all have been smoking some damned good weed.

These people claim to be at war with the one percent, yet they are in the upper one percent of the one percent themselves. They bitch that people who have far less money than themselves have too much money. They hire accountants and tax lawyers to assure that they don't pay a penny more in taxes than they have to.

These people are the ultimate capitalists. Progessives my arse. When they speak of social justice they are talking about you, not them. Do you really believe that they are wiling to give up anything?

But they say what y'all want to hear, so you give them a free ride. What gives?

Comments

rigel1
rigel1's picture
38 views and everybody is

38 views and everybody is speechless. That happens. It is very difficult to accept corruption and hypocrisy in our own camp. I don't expect anyone to be held to account. It is easy to point out the flaws of our opponents. But we are typically blind to our own. Generally when confronted with hipocrites like the capitalist, Hollywood rich, we tend to try to change the subject to the flaws of the other guys.  Human nature I guess.

Laborisgood
Laborisgood's picture
I don't recall too many folks

I don't recall too many folks in Thomville looking towards the Hollywood elite as beacons of progressivism.  That's one of those conservative canards ..... you know like union thugs.  I will say that any wealthy person who supports political causes that are contrary to their wealth are deserving of my respect.  Hollywood is just as likely to have selfish assholes as any other place in America and there ain't no law requiring decent wealthy people to reside in Hollywood either.

rigel1
rigel1's picture
Laborisgood wrote: I don't

Laborisgood wrote:

I don't recall too many folks in Thomville looking towards the Hollywood elite as beacons of progressivism.  That's one of those conservative canards ..... you know like union thugs.  I will say that any wealthy person who supports political causes that are contrary to their wealth are deserving of my respect.  Hollywood is just as likely to have selfish assholes as any other place in America and there ain't no law requiring decent wealthy people to reside in Hollywood either.

They love to babble about their views and social justice and knowbody gives them any grief over it. It's all swept under the rug.  You are correct about the "union thugs." Unions have goons, not thugs. The mafia has thugs. But I think we agree in principle. I commend you for recognizing hypocrisy even when its disguised as progressivism. Because progressivism certainly does not happen in Hollywood.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
Give 'em a break, rigel. 

Give 'em a break, rigel.  They probably don't get up until noon.  Nothing much gets posted around here until afternoon PDT.   And weekends are really dead, you did know it is Saturday?

Hollywood is mostly "limousine liberals" or liberal as long as the money is flowing and things are comfortable.  That's also what Robert Duvall calls Hollywood liberals.  Think Bill Maher, because he is always so "qualified" for his positions and almost two "smarmy" for me to watch.  I've got two of his shows on my DVR yet to watch because I feel I have to drag myself to watch them.

Hollywood got the liberal reputation because Edison in his early films was so racist so the refugees from New York who set up Hollywood championed the underdog in their films.

Phaedrus76
Phaedrus76's picture
The elite actors of London

The elite actors of London somehow get healthcare.

In Hollywood going to any coffee shop, gym, or such you are generally around movie folks. They somehow manage to coexist everywhere else with the rabble, I doubt it will be much different at the doctor office.

As for limos, private jets, and unlimited travel, other than Travolta I don't know many own jets, few of them ever use limos unless someone else is paying, and the travel is generally limited to work. My friend owns a limo company here in Phx, and they notice real limits on what the Hollywood folks spend on travel.

The people you are describing are the corporate titans. They are the ones who use the private jets, and funded the fight against democratizing healthcare.

rigel1
rigel1's picture
Phaedrus76 wrote:The elite

Phaedrus76 wrote:
The elite actors of London somehow get healthcare. In Hollywood going to any coffee shop, gym, or such you are generally around movie folks. They somehow manage to coexist everywhere else with the rabble, I doubt it will be much different at the doctor office. As for limos, private jets, and unlimited travel, other than Travolta I don't know many own jets, few of them ever use limos unless someone else is paying, and the travel is generally limited to work. My friend owns a limo company here in Phx, and they notice real limits on what the Hollywood folks spend on travel. The people you are describing are the corporate titans. They are the ones who use the private jets, and funded the fight against democratizing healthcare.

Finally a defender and lover of the super rich! Welcome to conservatism.

Okay maybe not limo's. They like to drive their own Lambourgini's. Some of them own their own jets and the others rent their jets. Occaisionally they will simply purchase a first class ticket and get ejected for harassing some low paid flight attendant as Alec Baldwin did.

So you are saying that I am wrong? These folks are real progressives not simply filthy rich members of the 0.1%? They can't wait to give up their fortunes and lavish lifestyles for the progressive cause? They couldn't possibly be simply greedy and feeling guilty. Could they?

Phaedrus76
Phaedrus76's picture
The only two groups that

The only two groups that dominate the use private jets are the corporate chiefs, and rock tours, for logistical reasons.

As for luxury cars now I've been on movie sets, the nicest cars are the producers, not the actors. The idiots who buy Lambos and Ferraris are athletes or business titans.

Most actors know careers are short, and own nice homes and drive Lexus or Cadillacs. Real estate being an investment, cars being disposable.

You said they will never rub elbows with the masses at doctors offices, but they already do so all around LA, and New York City.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
I think when conservatives

I think when conservatives talk about "liberal Hollywood" they are often talking about studio executives and much less about actors and crews.  They are talking about a "spin" that Hollywood movies seemed to them to have.  I would argue that conservatives aren't too good at creative endeavors.  Their mindset is better suited to left brained uncreative things like bookkeeping and sales.

Urban dictionary definition of "limousine liberal":

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=limousine%20liberal

rigel1
rigel1's picture
Okay so are they real

Okay so are they real committed progressives who just happen to be members of the 0.1 percent? Or are they talking the talk but unwilling to give up their personal fortunes and all that it brings? I think we know the answer.

Bush_Wacker
Bush_Wacker's picture
Where did you get the idea

Where did you get the idea that to be a progressive you must give up all of your wealth?  Many of these people in Hollywood give tons of cash to charities and liberal causes.  Nobody has ever asked them to give up their fortunes, just give a little more because they can afford it.  That's all anybody asks of the rich elite conservatives as well.  You can take the democrats wanting to tap another whopping 3% from the super wealthy and somehow turn that into liberals wanting all of their fortune.  That's what's going on in your brain rigel, not anyone else's on this board.