Are we Losing Progressive Talk Radio?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Art
Art's picture

Just being suspicious. First they replaced Thom and Randi with OSU baseball. Stations in other cities with some financial advisor. Now Stephanie and Ring of Fire are missing. These are Clear Channel stations, principally owned by Bain Capital. There must be big money in college baseball.

Comments

whiskeyman
whiskeyman's picture
  Thom gets pre-empted for

Thom gets pre-empted for high school baseball and softball here! Its a matter of dollars stations can get  more advertising dollars for local sports and that is how they stay on the air. That and political adds keep most small market stations alive.

Art
Art's picture
Quote:Its a matter of dollars

Quote:
Its a matter of dollars stations can get  more advertising dollars for local sports and that is how they stay on the air. That and political adds keep most small market stations alive.
Sure! That must be it.

Laborisgood
Laborisgood's picture
You can be sure, money has

You can be sure, money has everything to do with it and the revenue from local sports advertisers probably has very little to do with it.

whiskeyman
whiskeyman's picture
 I get the feeling that you

I get the feeling that you don't believe me. Small for profit stations live and die with advertising, I know that maybe hard for you to understand but not everything is a conservative plot. And with the economy the way it is money is what makes or breaks a small market radio station. And with ratings setting advertising rates, a higher rated program can charge more for advertising. ratings are set by the number of people listening. More people listening means more revenue for the station. Thats why progressive radio does not work so well. not enough listeners.

Art
Art's picture
I have to

I have to admit,

Quote:
Progressive talk radio doesn't even show up in the list of top ten talk radio audiences. Too bad. Even Michael Wiener is up there in the middle with Glen Beck not far behind. Guesss there's no denying the enthusiasm of the right-wing radio audience. 9 milllion people glued to their radio to listen to Michael Savage. Awesome!

ProgramDaypartWeekly Listeners
in MillionsThe Rush Limbaugh ShowMidday15+The Sean Hannity ShowEast Coast PM Drive14+Morning EditionAM Drive13+All Things ConsideredPM Drive13+The Savage NationWest Coast PM Drive9+MarketplacePM Drive9+Glenn Beck ProgramWest Coast AM Drive8.5+The Mark Levin ShowWest Coast PM Drive8.5+The Dave Ramsey ShowMidday8.5+DelilahEvening8+The Neal Boortz ShowWest Coast AM Drive6+The Laura Ingraham ShowWest Coast AM Drive6+Fresh AirMidday5+Car TalkWeekends4+Prairie Home CompanionWeekends4+Coast to Coast AMOvernights3+

rigel1
rigel1's picture
Art wrote: Just being

Art wrote:

Just being suspicious. First they replaced Thom and Randi with OSU baseball. Stations in other cities with some financial advisor. Now Stephanie and Ring of Fire are missing. These are Clear Channel stations, principally owned by Bain Capital. There must be big money in college baseball.

I don't get Thom's show in my market. But I do catch him occasionally on RT. He is on the same time as that blow-hard Hannity. I can take Hannity in small doses only. Here is the problem. In a free society you cannot force people to listen what you want them to hear. I am a conservative, therefore I am not threatened by diverse opinions. But if a particular show or host is not in demand, you must provide the audience with one that is. That is why these shows fail. You must give the audience what they want or force them to listen to what they don't want. As is done in North Korea.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
I listen to Karel in the

I listen to Karel in the afternoon who used to have a show on Green960 until KGO picked him up again (he's still on KGO on weekends).  He's on GCN in the afternoon (yup the same network as Alex Jones and Christian fundie freaks - I guess Ted Anderson likes to mix things up a bit).  He's been in the radio business a while and had a drive time show on KFI in LA with his partner back in the day and in touch with a lot of industry people.  He says that according to industry insiders there is a move to take political talk off the air (yup even the right wing gremlins) after the election.  Maybe we are turning into a Chinese Republic.  After all they own us don't they?