Best wishes to the Hartmann Family...

4 posts / 0 new

Best wishes to the Hartmann Family. I did not know about it until I put the Chicago Progressive radio station on on my way home today. I did not catch much of it, but I did hear a caller ask Carl Frisch about secret societies and conspiracy theories. It triggered a memory, and I had to chime in. It is a story which shows how much people often see only what their bias will let them...no matter what information is presented. I read a book a while ago called Rule By Secrecy, a text which pushed the idea conspiracy theorists and secret societies were real. In Rule By Secrecy, the authors attacked another author, William Grieder, for his book, Secrets of the Temple, How the Federal Reserve Runs the Country, for being sympathetic to the Fed. Wanting to check things out for myself, I picked up a copy of Greider's book. It was hardly "sympathetic to the Fed". The only thing it did say was that the Federal Reserve was NOT run by secret societies. It basically did say that the austerity measures aimed at bringing down inflation taken by Paul Volcker as Fed Chairman ruined the lives of many people...but the book was anything but sympathetic to him. But to the authors of Rule By Secrecy, any source which dismisses that secret societies control the world...is sympathetic to people in those alleged secret societies, no matter how scathing that source really is. On the other side, I asked a professor who was teaching a Finance class I was taking if he ever read Secrets of the Temple.... His response was, "No, I read a review of the book in a magazine and it is all about secret societies, so I decided not to". I am left wonder if Greider's book was right on because it left both sides angry and accusing him of saying a lot of things...he did not actually say.

Now, having said all that, there are some events I find awfully intriquing. In 2004, cold fusion enthusiast Eugene Mallove was found dead of a gunshot wound in his driveway. The police concluded he was the victim of a robber gone bad, or a landlord-tenant dispute. What is particularly intriguing about the incident is that, on the day he was murdered, he gave an interview with all-around quack George Noory in which he said, "In China and Russia, they don't kill each other over cold fusion. In this country, they do". Now, he only meant that figuratively...people who study cold fusion in the United States and Great Britain have their careers "killed". I just find it remarkable he was actually murdered on the day the interview in which he said that aired, however. And, the circumstances surrounding his death do seem to have been a little unusual. And, being a proponent, he had a lot of potential enemies, from people working on hot fusion programs; to people in the fossil fuel industry. Still, before I believed he was murdered to keep him quiet about cold fusion...I would need to see a lot of evidence.

Dan P

DanP's picture
DanP

Comments

Best wishes to Mrs. Hartmann. May the progressive journey continue.

Bob Carson's picture
Bob Carson

Louise, I was saddened to hear the news but relieved to hear your prognosis is good. I wish you a complete recovery. My heart goes out to you, Thom and family. You are wonderful people who contribute so much toward making the world a better place. Know that you are in our thoughts and the thoughts of many, many others.

democracynow's picture
democracynow

Louise- Our hearts go out to you and wish you a speedy recovery. As we say to our daughter: "you have picked a good time to be diagnosed with breast cancer." So many good things have happened in the past ten years with treatment. Our daughter was diagnosed with stage four ten years ago. She has struggled but is now in total remission and feeling better every day. With all the good that you and Thom are doing, I'm also sure you attitude will aid the healing and carry you to full recovery.

Dennis Heller's picture
Dennis Heller

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.