Can anyone help me with the case for single payer health care?

73 posts / 0 new

Comments

Quote Art:

. Especially if you are willing to pay these insurance companies another 30% to make these decisions for you.

30% of what?

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote Capital:
Quote Art:
What in the world makes you think the insurance industry is "un-regulated"? It seems to be one of the most heavily regulated industries.
Yes. Heavily regulated by the States. A State's-rights paradise. So you do like regulation of the insurance industry and think it's a good model for the managing of Health Care. You're confusing me.

Never said otherwise. I have long acknowledged Congress constitutional right to regulate interstate Commerce. Why they choose to reject that right regarding Health insurance is a Mystery. While I have Infinite problems with Government running Healthcare, I don't have a problem with them Regulating it.

The interstate commerse clause was put into place to prevent tariff wars between states. Not to force you to purchase a product or service. the interstate clause was to be uniform between all states foreign and domestic.

Under the interstate clause they can say all insurance companies must provide a service. They can not force you to buy the service.

workingman's picture
workingman
30% of what?
The 30% of the cost insurance companies impose on the price of their services to cover their operating costs. Ya know. Advertising, actuarial services, executive compensation, lavish parties, sales incentives. Not to mention all the duplicated services .

Can't say what kind of overhead single-payer would require, but my understanding is that the Social Security has an overhead rate of about 2%. Of course, that could be a lie, but I can't believe it's anywhere near 30%. We'll know more about overhead in the private system now that those medical loss ratio rebate checks should be starting to go out.

Art's picture
Art

We already have the Medicare system. Just make it "for all" and count the savings.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote Art:
30% of what?
The 30% of the cost insurance companies impose on the price of their services to cover their operating costs. Ya know. Advertising, actuarial services, executive compensation, lavish parties, sales incentives. Not to mention all the duplicated services .

Can't say what kind of overhead single-payer would require, but my understanding is that the Social Security has an overhead rate of about 2%. Of course, that could be a lie, but I can't believe it's anywhere near 30%. We'll know more about overhead in the private system now that those medical loss ratio rebate checks should be starting to go out.

Figured it had to be something like that. Problem is Your wrong. CBO says the Avg is 12%. You are taking 1 number out of context.

Capital's picture
Capital
Figured it had to be something like that. Problem is Your wrong. CBO says the Avg is 12%. You are taking 1 number out of context.
Ah, thank you for that Politifact datum. Boxer seems to have taken a figure from the worst-case example. The number is exagerated for the aggregate.
We’re convinced that Boxer’s underlying point -- that private plans have higher overhead than government plans -- is correct, if for no other reason than that profits matter only for private insurers. But for most plans and patients, the difference between Medicare overhead and private-sector overhead is not as great as she suggests. So we rate her statement Half True.
No question. A 12% premium is probably worth it to many people to have insurance company bureaucrats make their medical decisions for them.

Here's an interesting little article I stumbled on from Forbes. Do you suppose Forbes has crossed over onto the dark side?

Art's picture
Art
Quote DRC:

We already have the Medicare system. Just make it "for all" and count the savings.

And the dead because medicare pays out so little hospitals and doctors are dening care.

workingman's picture
workingman

So, adjust the rates, which we can do if the GOPimps and Clown Parade are pink-slipped. We will not be wasting anything on 'Medicare Advantage,' another wonderful Bushian Irony title.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote DRC:

So, adjust the rates, which we can do if the GOPimps and Clown Parade are pink-slipped. We will not be wasting anything on 'Medicare Advantage,' another wonderful Bushian Irony title.

Or do away with the constitutional overstep and turn it all back over to the public, this is a better option because the governmemt does not have the ability to write or run a program that works for everyone equally or effiecently.

workingman's picture
workingman
And the dead because medicare pays out so little hospitals and doctors are dening care.
There is no part of single-payer or ObamaCare that says providers can't charge more than their Government reimbursement as some kind of a co-pay. Insurance companys can even create a market for covering the shortfall. That's what Medicare Plus policies do. Then they can compete in an honest way on price and quality.

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:

No question. A 12% premium is probably worth it to many people to have insurance company bureaucrats make their medical decisions for them.

Considering all the benefits associated with it and the downside of gov Care. 12%is cheap.

Capital's picture
Capital
Considering all the benefits associated with it and the downside of gov Care. 12%is cheap.
And the downside is . . . ?

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:
And the downside is . . . ?

Loss of the safety net, Unsustainable system, a system that will be at the Whims of Politics, C.S. Lewis Quote on Tyranny, unconstitutional, Post office, etc etc etc…

Capital's picture
Capital
Loss of the safety net, Unsustainable system, a system that will be at the Whims of Politics, C.S. Lewis Quote on Tyranny, unconstitutional, Post office, etc etc etc…
Why don't you write some kind of a little essay on these things, so we can see how you arrive at your analysis? Keep in mind. You are trying to convince us of something.

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:

Why don't you write some kind of a little essay on these things, so we can see how you arrive at your analysis? Keep in mind. You are trying to convince us of something.

Because I don't write essay's, I don't Lecture and I dont Rant. I discuss.

Loss of the safety net - If you have single payer or Universal, there is no logical reason to maintain a safety net.

Unsustainable system - Look Around. UK is crashing, Sweden is Privatizing, recent CBO score of Obamacare.

Whims of Politics - "Doc Fix" for 18 straight years

C.S. Lewis Qoute - "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive"

Unconstitutional - Self explanatory.

Post Office - Again Self explanatory

Capital's picture
Capital
Art wrote:

Because I don't write essay's, I don't Lecture and I dont Rant. I discuss.

OK then. I guess we have what we have. Have a nice day.

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:

OK then. I guess we have what we have. Have a nice day.

You have a wonderful day.

Capital's picture
Capital

Yeah Cap, enjoy the bliss.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote DRC:

Yeah Cap, enjoy the bliss.

Thanks, You enjoy your misery

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote workingman:

it all back over to the public, this is a better option because the governmemt does not have the ability to write or run a program that works for everyone equally or effiecently.

poly replies: Except, of course, many foreign governments where everyone has medical care at less cost per capita than the U.S..

In the U.S.,20% of the population has no care at all, and the rest pay co-pays sometimes so high medical treatment is brushed aside as unaffordable.. .

Maybe we should import a well-functioning government instead of Chinese trinkets. LOL

However, waiting in line for a face-lift to erase wrinkles could become inconvenient for some. Serious health problems have priority.

My British in-law had a gov't. insurance paid liver transplant in England. Had she been a U.S. citizen, living in America, she'd be dead.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

The misery exists in your own rotted soul. You put the "miser" in misery as well as I have seen for some time. All that resentment and anger and abuse and insult. When do you re-enact the Crucifixion? How great is your suffering for all us fools?

DRC's picture
DRC

A point of fact, CS Lewis was a nimrod Brit with no sense of humor.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Currently Chatting

Earth's credit card has been maxed out!

If Earth's resources were a credit card, we have already maxed out our entire allocation for this year. The think thank Global Footprint Network announced that August 19th was “Earth Overshoot Day,” meaning that all the resources we use after that day exceed what our planet can produce in a single year.