The death penalty is on the way out in Connecticut

14 posts / 0 new
The death penalty is on the way out in Connecticut

The Connecticut state house is expected to follow the state Senate and pass legislation abolishing the death penalty. Democratic Governor Dannel Malloy has promised to sign the legislation – making Connecticut the fifth state in the last five years to abolish the death penalty. The United States is the only western democracy in the world that still puts its citizens to death – and we do so at an alarmingly high rate.

We're right up there with China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Iraq in how many people we put to death each year - all countries run by authoritarian and/or religious governments. According to our Constitution, we're neither. It’s time for other states to join Connecticut and end the death penalty – a scar on a criminal justice system.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Wow...two pieces of good news in five minutes! The sun is shining brightly!

Quote Thom Hartmann Administrator:We're right up there with China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Iraq in how many people we put to death each year - all countries run by authoritarian and/or religious governments. According to our Constitution, we're neither. It’s time for other states to join Connecticut and end the death penalty – a scar on a criminal justice system.

I would just like to change the last sentance to:

"It’s time for other states to join Connecticut and end the death penalty – a scab on a criminal justice system."

It'll be a scar when we abolish the death penalty in all 50 states.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Excellent point. We need to include the "fear/gun" laws too.

DRC's picture
DRC

Murder is still allowed if it's an executive order... right? Because our president knows better than we do when people should be killed off.

You know... I am sorry for being a "Debbie Downer" around here. But I can't help that the truth gets in the way of me feeling like the rest of you "Shiny Happy People".

You guys KNOW this stuff. I know you do.

I don't get it.

Fletcher Christian's picture
Fletcher Christian

DRC just said the same thing before you.

I'm the shiny happy person, and I take every opportunity to smile, feel joy, and acknowledge every inch of progress. I don't think you find me forgetting the big picture, though. Ever.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Fletch, the evil nature of the Empire is understood by most of us. We do not think of Obama the Emperor as a good thing, but we also know that the politics of the Empire make him have to be the tough guy because he gets ripped by the Rightwing talkers any time he approaches diplomacy or international law. I think he sees being tough on terrorists as a way to defuse the Right. I think it is a bad price to pay for politics.

I disagree with our approach to Yemen and to the treatment of journalists. I don't think the drones have any long-term value and do create more problems than they are worth. I am not a big stickler for the difference between an American citizen and some Yemeni being taken out for being part of al Qaeda, and I think it makes these guys martyrs where they would be marginalized by good policy.

This has very little to do with the death penalty in our courts and its sorry record of bad enforcement and ineffectiveness. We use it to punish people who scare us, not to deal with the abuses of power by those who are socially smooth. This is a serious problem about us. So is empire.

DRC's picture
DRC

Did bush the moron use executive orders when he had all those innocent people murdered in Iraq and Afghanistan during his appointment of nation building or was it securing the oil fields for the oil companies or both?

Sometimes people need to be eliminated from the gene pool by any means to make the world a better place. Sometimes innocent people get killed. If Obama won't do it somebody else damn sure will. The final decision to eliminate someone is his alone but you can bet alot of planning was used to arrive at that decision unlike bush the moron who thought they would welcome us with open arms after killing many of their fellow citizens on the way in.

I sure wouldn't have any problem with making the call to kill OBL or the otherone in libya. Hell I'd probably eliminate several more around the world if given the chance. Then there's always the shit in washington that needs to be removed.

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter
Quote Sprinklerfitter:I sure wouldn't have any problem with making the call to kill OBL or the otherone in libya. Hell I'd probably eliminate several more around the world if given the chance. Then there's always the shit in washington that needs to be removed.

Who would you eliminate if you knew that AlQaeda and OBL were funded to create 9/11? Probably why those files are effectively sealed—someone or something, US or non-US, would be considered "criminal of the people" and that can't be had, especially after OBL has been so ceremonially executed. And especially if it turned out that the same party were also funding the AlQaeda portion of the Syrian dissidents.

I don't think that everything that we see is all that there is.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

You and I know that American citizens can now "legally" be killed on American soil without due process of law.

It wouldn't matter what a state law said.

It's actually worse. It's worse because we have to pretend not to know these things.

I am against the death penalty.

If I had to choose between a state death penalty or an executive order... I choose the state death penalty. At least with the state penalty, there's a trial.

The executive order to kill overrides any state law. You guys KNOW this. It's done with putting a name on a piece of paper... that's it! No trial, no nothing.

For those of you who through some article of faith, think that it won't be enacted on, you are sadly mistaken.

Here's an anecdote. I don't like onions. So when my mom made spaghetti, she put onions in it. I would say, "Mom, why did you put onions in the sauce when you know that I don't like them?" She would reply, "Don't worry. You can't taste them." If you can't taste them... then why put them in?

If all of these executive orders being rushed in on holidays aren't going to be used, then why are they being rushed in?

Why is their a cover story of a state ridding themselves of the death penalty when the BIGGEST DEATH PENALTY LAW that has ever been introduced is now on the books?

You guys KNOW this stuff. I do not get it.

This story has legs. But the real important story doesn't. Why doesn't that set off alarm bells within your collective souls?

Not YOURS, MINE, your PARENTS, your parents PARENTS, our founding fathers, EVER... OK... EVER! EVER in the history of this nation... EVER has their been a bigger death penalty law than their is RIGHT NOW!

WAKE UP! The biggest, most sweeping, evil, cruel, unusual, death penalty exists right now. It's in your back yard. It's knocking on your door. It's all around you.

Dear Lord! Please wake up! Please wake up!

It's a COVER STORY. It is not progress. Progress would be eliminating killing people without due process.

Until that happens, there is no progress in the elimination of the death penalty.

My God in heaven! What will it take? You guys KNOW this stuff! Why do you act like you don't?

Fletcher Christian

Who I would eliminate right now abroad and in this country I'll keep to myself. It's obvious voting isn't working the way it's suppose too.

One thing I would eliminate right now is electronic voting. It's to easy to rig these machines the way you want. Why more people aren't raising hell about this corruption who knows. When it comes to 9/11 I'd bet my life that the complete truth is still out there. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if there were people in this country involved in the whole ordeal from beginning to the end. I've always said just look at who really benefited from 9/11 and ask why. Following the money usually works in most cases. Building 7 is the one that has never been explained considering what was in it record wise. I'd also bet my life on this country having the most corrupt government on our planet. Washington is definetly a target rich envireoment.

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter

(for those who might have missed this earlier post on the death penalty subject; from another angle)

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2012/03/floggings-no-lethal-injection-yes-despite-our-evolving-civility-us-still-clings-death-

How many more cases such as that of Troy Davis will it take before we realize that is is possible for innocent people to be caught up in our flawed "justice" system, ultimately to be sentenced to death, for something they did not do ? Please, how the hell does killing a few innocent people make us safer ? In addition to Troy Davis, other recent cases like the one in Texas during the republican presidential primaries showed how politicians like Rick Perry see the death penalty as a handy tool rather than as a weapon of last resort. There have been several cases uncovered by people including the Innocence Project ( http://www.innocenceproject.org/ ) where prisoners who had already been executed had later been found by thorough DNA analysis, re-interviewing of witnesses, and reviewing other evidence to have been innocent.

Some deterrent that is. My state is one that implemented a sentencing option of life without parole, available for juries to decide on instead of the death penalty. The problem with that is some governors during their campaign or during their administration (the current governor included) said "life means life", meaning they would not release any prisoner sentenced to life without parole. Last week, the governor finally did sign an executive order commuting the sentences of two such wrongly convicted inmates ... commuting their sentences, not exonerating them, which would have been more appropriate. This was only done because our state legislature recognized this problem and passed a law in 2011, that took effect October 1, stating that the governor had 180 days to act on a state parole board recommendation before the recommendation automatically was approved. Instead of granting clemency, the governor shortened the sentences. Some justice that is. But given the choice of executing wrongly convicted people or keeping them in jail for the rest of their lives, having their sentences commuted after many wasted and undeserved years in prison will have to do, for now. A pardon was in order here, not a commutation. I'm not sure if the legal teams for the two inmates in question plan on filing for pardons. Wait and see. At least they have that possibility to look forward to, whether the governor agrees with the parole board or not.

Mark Farley Grant: freedom but not exoneration
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-rodricks-grant-20120329,0,5891428.column

O'Malley grants clemency to two serving life sentences
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-omalley-commutes-grant-20120329-14,0,1101486.story

Additional stories about the Mark Farley Grant case :
http://www.baltimoresun.com/search/dispatcher.front?Query=Mark+Farley+Grant&target=adv_article

miksilvr

Just when you think you've made up your mind about an issue, this guy makes an appearance again. Any guess who I am talking about ?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/06/BAJP1NVEJR.DTL

miksilvr

My take on the death penalty is this. It's too important and irrevocable a decision to be left to anybody but me. Since I can't be on every jury, and since I don't trust the judgment of all those other people, I don't think we should have it.

Art's picture
Art

The executive orders that allow killing, kidnapping, seizure of goods, and forced labor are what we should be fighting.

I haven't read China's constitution. I haven't read Iran's constitution. I haven't read Cuba's constitution. But I am willing to wager... they sound pretty good. It's what is allowed through other nefarious ways that the evil stuff gets done.

This is what we have here in the U.S. now. A constitution that sounds pretty good... but it's the nefarious, subversive "end-around's" of the constitution that are the diabolical agents of destruction that are ultimately going to do us in.

State laws are like a band-aids for cancer patients.

Fletcher Christian

Currently Chatting

Community Archive

Why the Web of Life is Dying...

Could you survive with just half of your organs? Think about it. What if you had just half your brain, one kidney, half of your heart, one lung, half a liver and only half of your skin? It would be pretty hard to survive right? Sure, you could survive losing just one kidney or half of your liver, but at some point, losing pieces from all of your organs would be too much and you would die.