Dyslexia

6 posts / 0 new

Hi !

I know Thom has written on Dyslexia. I have one of the books he wrote the Foreword for.

He mentioned a method for orienting oneself to overcome Dyslexia. It sounded vaguely Russian.

Could somebody find out what the author of that orientation method was so I can look it up? The method in "The Gift of Dyslexia" is for kids and not quite what I was looking for.

Jkirk3279's picture
Jkirk3279

Comments

I think it is Ronald Dell Davis, if not, you can still try his book. He also wrote methods for teaching kids with Dyslexia..

Alan Teh's picture
Alan Teh

Davis' basic concept was the recovery of the "third eye," the sense of perspective on self, so that one "observes" from behind as well as in the direct and existential experience. The "gift" is the universal grasp v. the literal, linear progression of logic. It is the "logic" of seeing how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together instead of just being able to select the next piece to match.

I don't understand how this is limited to children even if it works best when done early. The big point there is that the person does not have to go throught the anguish of trying to figure out which side of the cube the rest of the class is seeing. Having to "show the work" instead of just getting the right answer or trying to find picture images for conjunctions in "reading" is where the anxiety and alienation make the "gift" a serious problem.

DRC's picture
DRC

The approach in the Davis book is to make stuff out of clay, then ask the kid questions about it.

It leads the child to learn orientation without thinking about what they're doing.

I have that book, and since it's set up in a way I'm not getting, I thought I'd ask Thom what the other approach was.

He said on the air the way he used was harder, but I am willing to take a look at it to get another perspective.

Jkirk3279's picture
Jkirk3279

Well... it is in fact a focus point not really a "third eye" For example when a ballerina does a pirouette (spin) he/she minds eye is on a place straight above her head, which acts as a fulcrum for her turning. When a basketball player is shooting a basket he /she has their mind's eye focused on the net. What Ron Davis has discovered is that there is a focus point above and behind the head which is best for reading & writing and focusing on those things. Since dyslexics can be very disorientated when the cannot decipher language (spoken to them, read or written), this focus point can correct this disorientation so the at least can see, hear and speak accurately. Dyslexics translate language visually in the brain rather than through the words. Literally making pictures of what they see and hear,So when some language is not able to be deciphered through visual means. they get disorientated and do not see or hear accurately. That's what the focus point helps with

jason231

Well in that case I just need some advice on moving my assemblage point behind my head.

Jkirk3279's picture
Jkirk3279

Currently Chatting

Why the Web of Life is Dying...

Could you survive with just half of your organs? Think about it. What if you had just half your brain, one kidney, half of your heart, one lung, half a liver and only half of your skin? It would be pretty hard to survive right? Sure, you could survive losing just one kidney or half of your liver, but at some point, losing pieces from all of your organs would be too much and you would die.