Finland is building a nuclear waste disposal site hundreds of feet below surface, in solid bedrock...I don't feel safer, do you?

1 post / 0 new

Finland is building a nuclear waste disposal site near the town of Eurajoki. The site consists of a system of tunnels carved out of solid bedrock hundreds of feet below the surface. I saw this story on the NHK WORLD English channels NHK Newsline show on the morning of 4/25 (see video link below). The reporter said that the area was examined thoroughly, and had been found to be free of any seismic faults or other signs of volcanic activity. Finland plans to begin depositing waste there in 2020, and expects the storage areas to be filled in about 100 years. Once the site is filled to capacity and sealed, the waste will be radioactive for about 100,000 years.

While this site looks to be more secure than Yucca Mountain in the U.S., it does not make me feel any safer about nuclear power as an energy source. What is going to stop terrorists or profiteers from tunneling in horizontally to steal this stuff ? The only comparable site of bedrock that I know of in the U.S. that we could build something like this in happens to be occupied ... by Manhattan !

Finland: Test of Time (video)

The home page for NHK WORLD English : http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/index.html

miksilvr

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.