Florida Governor Rick Scott can’t catch a break on his crusade to examine every Floridians’ bodily fluids

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thom Hartmann A...
Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture

Last week – a U.S. District Judge out of Miami ruled that Governor Scott’s executive order forcing 85,000 state workers to subject themselves to a drug test violates the Fourth Amendment of the Constitution. 

Scott forced welfare recipients to take drug tests, too, until that law was halted by a federal court as well.  But not before it was discovered that Florida wasted a few hundred thousand dollars on the tests – since only 2% of the welfare population in Florida tested positive for drugs – which is well-below the national average. 

Once again – Conservatives claim to hate big government, except when it applies to what people are doing in their bedrooms or what might be in their bodies.

Comments

DdC
DdC's picture
Rick Scott reminds me of Jim

Rick Scott reminds me of Jim Carry as SNL's Fire Marshall Bill.

Gov. Rick Scott's Drug Testing Policy Stirs Suspicion
One of the more popular services at Solantic, the urgent care chain co-founded by Florida Gov. Rick Scott, is drug testing, according to Solantic CEO Karen Bowling.

Neoconservatudes only hate the part of government that returns services and tax money to the people. The government tax taken from communities services slashing programs and budgets is ok. Same as exxon subsidies, wallmart china imports and fighting cold and luke warm wars or the koch bros for profit private prisons is OK. Same as it's OK to monopolize white powder drugs while prohibiting freely grown weed. Along with the paraphernalia of the drug war, the urine taste walker loves, the probation, college tuition lost, and if they get their way, any sign of a metabolite in the body removes drivers licenses. Losing voting ability as well as dumbing down students all brings cheap labor eventually unless they're stopped. They serve the G-20 World Banksters and Multinational Corporations with no allegiance to the US or the Constitution. Cheap labor is what they seek and to hell with the human factor. In Florida without public transportation in the central rural areas, people will be screwed. Or forced to break the law or leave. Such mean and ugly people these conservartudes be. They aim to bust the middle class by outsourcing trickle down jobs and gutting services to the people. Isn't it obvious, they're Fascists. That is what Fascists do.

GOP 2011-12 Agenda: Union and Voter Suppression
Twenty months out from the 2012 election, the GOP's voter suppression strategy is taking shape. By crushing public sector unions and expanding felon and student disenfranchisement, they hope to weaken Democratic turnout. While they have always supported these strategies, the margins Republicans gained in state houses in the November elections have empowered them to launch a much stronger voter suppression campaign.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott and other Cabinet-level officials voted unanimously Wednesday to roll back state rules enacted four years ago that made it easier for many ex-felons to regain the right to vote.

Now, under the new rules, even nonviolent offenders would have to wait five years after the conclusion of their sentences to apply for the chance to have their civil rights restored.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
That's how it goes. Everybody knows
~ Leonard Cohen

Roadblocks To Restoring Rights
US FL: Editorial: Sarasota Herald-Tribune 3.12.11
The speed with which they acted - on a matter involving other people's voting rights - doesn't make these politicians look decisive; it makes them look dictatorial.

Confirmed: Union-Bashing Right-Wing Media Stars Hannity, Limbaugh and O'Reilly Are AFL-CIO Union-Affiliated Members
In spite of their criticism of unions in Wisconsin, AlterNet has confirmed that leading right-wing pundits are American Federation Television and Radio Artists union members. February 26, 2011

Fletcher Christian
Fletcher Christian's picture
"Everybody Knows" is featured

"Everybody Knows" is featured heavily in the movie, "Exotica".  It's a GREAT movie!  It's not political... but it is some of the best writing that I have ever seen.

I tried SO HARD to call into C-SPAN and blast on him!  I was going to point out how phony of a conservative he was.  Supposedly conservatives believe in the constitution.  If this is the case... then why are they always trying to get around the 4th amendment and habeas corpus?

I did manage to get banned off of "Red Eye Radio"!  I corrected the host on the Keystone pipleline and then stated, "How's THAT for TRICKLE DOWN ECONOMICS!"

I've tried calling in after that... but the answer guy knows my voice and has told me that I can't get on air.  When I said that was cool, but here's some actual facts pertaining to the nights topic... he told me don't bother!

So in the words of "Carl, The Groundskeeper"... "I've got that going for me... which is nice."

antikakistocrat
antikakistocrat's picture
He's a closet Globalist. He

He's a closet Globalist.

He even allowed the DAs to fire the lawyers investigating the banks in this state.

We know which side he is really working for.