Fukushima's radioactivity found in California kelp; levels spiked, then disappeared.

5 posts / 0 new

http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/news/2012/radioactive-iodine-from-fukushima-in-california-kelp

" Kelp off Southern California was contaminated with short-lived radioisotopes a month after Japan’s Fukushima accident, a sign that the spilled radiation reached the state's coastline, according to a new scientific study. Scientists tested giant kelp from the ocean off Orange County and other locations after the March, 2011 accident and detected radioactive iodine at peak concentrations 250-fold higher than levels found in West Coast kelp before the nuclear accident. “Basically we saw it in all the California kelp blades we sampled,” said biology professor Steven Manley of California State University, Long Beach. The radioactivity had no known effects on the giant kelp, or on fish and other marine life, and it was undetectable when the kelp was tested again a month later. Iodine 131 “has an eight-day half life so it’s pretty much all gone,” Manley said. “But this shows what happens half a world away does effect what happens here. .......

The scientists only measured iodine 131, although other isotopes were in the plume from Japan that also accumulate in kelp. One of them, Cesium 137, has a 30-year half-life...

Fisher and chemist Ken Buesseler from Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution studied fish off the coast of Japan for Cesium 137 and 134, which accumulate in muscle tissues or filets. Their results are expected to be published next week."

Read More Here: http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/news/2012/radioactive-iodine-from-fukushima-in-california-kelp

Sacramento Dave's picture
Sacramento Dave

Comments

Thank you for all your postings! I think we are on the same page so to speak! I will check out the article and I do appreciate the information you post!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee
Quote Sacramento Dave:Fisher and chemist Ken Buesseler from Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution studied fish off the coast of Japan for Cesium 137 and 134, which accumulate in muscle tissues or filets. Their results are expected to be published next week."
A summary of Fisher and Buesseler's results: http://www.whoi.edu/page/live.do?pid=7545&tid=3622&cid=133509

stwo's picture
stwo

I do hope you will post those results! We seem to have a problem with the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant. Haven't heard much lately about what's going on there. To think I used to surf. Sadly I don't even want to go in the water anymore!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

According to JTV, "San Onofre has a history of lying to the Japanese people."

Still thinking's picture
Still thinking

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.