Hugh Hefner thinks he’s figured out what’s driving the Republican war on women

221 posts / 0 new

In an op-ed published for Playboy magazine – Hefner blamed Conservatives who were sexually repressed for lashing out against women and waging a “war against sex.”

Hefner writes, “a new generation of repressed conservatives are pounding on America’s bedroom door, their knock the beating drum of a war drum that sounds their intentions to again regulate our sex lives.” I think Hefner has a point. But then again – looking at prominent Republicans like Newt Gingrich and Herman Cain – I don’t see much evidence of sexual repression.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

After seeing the documentry on How Hugh treats his women. I find him repulsive.

Capital's picture
Capital

Any man who uses women as objects to enhance his own status in society is in no position to point the finger at other men for waging a war on women. The women used within the Hefner empire have no greater personhood than his cars or his mansions. All are status objects, nothing more. As an example set for men and women, his life has done very little to liberate women from their second-class status. If that isn't a war, I don't know what is.

Zenzoe

Hue is just looking after his own best interests. He's defending his image and his empire. I, however don't have an image or an empire so I have to agree with his ironic statement. Sometimes even hypocrites are right.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Really?

Hmm...

I don’t see much evidence of sexual repression either. To my mind Hefner does not has a valid point. He's just doing his economic part to sell as many magazines as possible. The media has provided him the opportunity to fatten up his profits.

Hefner is correct about the "repressed" part - but once again he's got things catawampus. Consistent he is! Hefner's work & legacy for sexual freedom is / was FOR MEN. It was never about the sexual freedom of the female - only the freedom for her to be shown naked - only for the female to be in service to the male.

This "new generation of repressed conservatives are pounding on America’s bedroom door," are NOT new. They are only continuing the exsisting double standard already entrenched and further cemented by Hefner. They are simply the warmed up leftover regurgitated antiquated ongoing attitudes against women in the year 2012 in the United States of America.

media_muse

The "War on Women" is such BS. Almost completely centers around the issue of Abortion as "Reproductive Right" or just the simpler term "Baby Killing"

I wonder if they will make it like a War on drugs" spending billions to re-educate consevatives to enjoy baby killings.

Capital's picture
Capital

Of course you think it is, cap. You have no respect for a woman's right to her own body and conscience.

I wonder if "they" will try to make us believe that weed kills and force us to spend billions to keep those who use marijuana in jail to protect "themselves" from the end of the world.

I wonder if "they" will make the politics of conscience, religious warfare, into the agenda of deflection from social justice and basic human morality.

Nobody is trying to "educate conservatives to enjoy baby killings." We believe in religious freedom and your right to believe your own fantasies, as long as you don't get so damned 'evangelical' and theocratic about enforcing your fantasies on everyone else.

When "conservatives" show that the care deeply enough about the living to care and share with "the least of these," we will give your anti-abortion theology a hearing. Until then, stop the War on Women or you will find yourself in a fight you cannot win. Toleration of this shit only goes so far.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote DRC:

Of course you think it is, cap. You have no respect for a woman's right to her own body and conscience.

You respect people that kill children. Very telling.

Capital's picture
Capital

What is in a women's uterus is as private as she wants it to be. When it is an embryo, no one should feel that they should be informed about it. And she should be free to do whatever she wants to about it.

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote Capital: You respect people that kill children. Very telling.

The old "women=baby machines" tactic.

Very telling.

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote Karolina:

The old "women=baby machines" tactic.

Very telling.

Isn't it though. At least I'm not advocating killing babies.

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote Karolina:

What is in a women's uterus is as private as she wants it to be. When it is an embryo, no one should feel that they should be informed about it. And she should be free to do whatever she wants to about it.

Last I checked in 8th grade. While the Uterus is yours, Embryo is only half yours.

If you stuck a 1/2 pound of Cocaine in your uterus and tried crossing the Mexican Border. Do you get to claim Reproductive Rights?

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote Capital: At least I'm not advocating killing babies.

No, just killing poor people. And consequently, poor people's babies. Once they're out of the vagina.

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote Karolina:

No, just killing poor people. And consequently, poor people's babies. Once they're out of the vagina.

Interesting spin, Can you show where I advocated such a thing.

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote Capital:Last I checked in 8th grade. While the Uterus is yours, Embryo is only half yours.

Then all of the sperm in your scrotum belong to the general public.

Quote Capital:If you stuck a 1/2 pound of Cocaine in your uterus and tried crossing the Mexican Border. Do you get to claim Reproductive Rights?

This is just gross. You tell me what you do with your penis, instead.

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote Karolina:

Then all of the sperm in your scrotum belong to the general public

I'll withhold the obvious sarcasitic response due that comment.

This is just gross. You tell me what you do with your penis, instead.

Did you not just claim exclusive dominion over not only your uterus, but also the contents of the Uterus. Just wondering where you draw the line.

Capital's picture
Capital

You started the vulgararity by trying to shame me.

I'm a New Yorker—that would be tough.

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote Karolina:

Not an Answer..

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote Capital:
Quote Karolina:

Not an Answer..

It is an answer just not the one you want.

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter
Quote Sprinklerfitter:

It is an answer just not the one you want.

Whatever you have to tell yourself. Just as I'll assume you will continue thinking Republicans are waging war on Women. Just an Empty platitude

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote Capital:

The "War on Women" is such BS.

Apparently Capital you don't do much reading or hangin out in OUR world. Although I suppose I may be mis-guided in believing this. Maybe BS means BIG STUFF to you as opposed to the more popular meaning referring to "crap". Maybe you don't like the use of the word "war". I don't care for that word either. And as a woman I can verify there is a WAR going on against the female. Wake up and smell the deadly stink of it.

media_muse

I didn't realize there was a question. I'm assuming you want to know if a woman has a responsibility to tell a man with whom she had sex that she is pregnant?

I would think that depends completely on the relationship. If she's married to the man, or in a healthy, loving, monogamous relationship, IMO she would be obliged to give him the information, and share the child with him.

In any other situation if a woman doesn't want the man to know—he will never know. That should be the first decision she would be making about her pregnancy.

I believe that this is the basis for patriarchy—some men are insecure about the fact that women have all the power about the continuation of the species, and particularly their blood-line, so they have to create hell for women.

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote Karolina:

I believe that this is the basis for patriarchy—men are insecure about the fact that women have all the power about the continuation of the species, so they have to create hell for women.

Nothing like the one simple fact to provide the truth - thanks Karolina.

I would add the caveat - of the insecure male need to verify "their own" precious seeds as the only ones implanted in to "their owned" females body. I wonder about the next wand they'll come out with - upon insertion will it read the DNA content of the zygote - from the egg & sperm ? Or will it be court enforced DNA testing upon pregnancy to verify that the "owned" female has only the DNA from her designated sperminator?

media_muse
Quote Karolina:

I didn't realize there was a question. I'm assuming you want to know if a woman has a responsibility to tell a man with whom she had sex that she is pregnant?

I would think that depends completely on the relationship. If she's married to the man, or in a healthy, loving, monogamous relationship, IMO she would be obliged to give him the information, and share the child with him.

In any other situation if a woman doesn't want the man know—he will never know. That should be the first decision she would be making about her pregnancy.

I believe that this is the basis for patriarchy—men are insecure about the fact that women have all the power about the continuation of the species, so they have to create hell for women.

You assume wrong. I don't care about the interpersonal relationships. That isn't the point

The is the "WAR ON WOMEN". Women should be terrified. All the Political blustering aside as the Dems successfully scare the shit out of women to rally to them. Basically boils down to abortion. Reproductive Right V Baby Killing. On side, those who what the personal right to do with their bodies as they see fit free on consequence, against those you want to protect the most precious, defenseless natural resource we have.

I suppose if it was YOUR body, People wouldn’t have a complaint regarding reproductive right of women. And if they did, F’ em. Be honest, The body in question isn’t YOURS.

So the question is, Does anything present in the Uterus automatically make it the exclusive dominion of the Women. I assume you already know the answer to that.

Capital's picture
Capital

Funny that nobody has mentioned the obvious. Wage discrimination.

Nobody has really addressed the sexist attitude of the right wing mouthers either.

Ask Rush, Sean, or Bill what they really think of women. No real need to if you've ever listened to them for more than a few minutes.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

I guess Media_muse, that great minds think alike.

AND type at the same time! ;)

Karolina edited: I believe that this is the basis for patriarchy—some men are insecure about the fact that women have all the power about the continuation of the species, and particularly their blood-line, so they have to create hell for women.

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote Capital: So the question is, Does anything present in the Uterus automatically make it the exclusive dominion of the Women. I assume you already know the answer to that.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote Bush_Wacker:

Based entirely on a single instant. "WI GOP Gov. Scott Walker Repealed Law Aimed At Preventing Gender Wage Discrimination"

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote Karolina:
Quote Capital: So the question is, Does anything present in the Uterus automatically make it the exclusive dominion of the Women. I assume you already know the answer to that.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Actually, the answer is NO.

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote Bush_Wacker:Funny that nobody has mentioned the obvious. Wage discrimination.

Nobody has really addressed the sexist attitude of the right wing mouthers either.

Ask Rush, Sean, or Bill what they really think of women. No real need to if you've ever listened to them for more than a few minutes.

That is exactly one reason for women to have always have the right to abortion. If there is poverty, for whatever reason, and a woman already has a child (or several) that she or she and her partner can't or can barely afford to keep fed, she would know that she would have to be taking food out of the child's or children's mouths if she keeps the embryo and carries out her pregnancy.

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote Capital:
Quote Karolina:

Yes, yes, and yes.

Actually, the answer is NO.

Actually the answer is yes, even if "NO" is the answer to this question:

Is this society or this government allowing a woman to LEGALLY have an abortion?

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote Capital:
Quote Karolina:

Interesting spin, Can you show where I advocated such a thing.

If you feel clueless here Capital I can understand why - I sense your pain so I will step in here.There are actually a few issues here.

Do you ADVOCATE & CARE equally about those ALREADY BORN AND LIVING - in need of help? No matter what their age is? There are already so many babies, children and adults who need someone to care about them. Do you feel inclined to help with this part?

This is not complex issue really but here's the other part. It is simply about Sovereignty of one's Own body - whether it be a Female or a Male body.There is nothing halfway about this. It is either Sovereign or NOT Sovereign. When you understand this then you hopefully can also understand no "half embryo" can survive outside the female uterus.

If you advocate for minding the intimate business of others then you are fully capable of doing what Karolina has indicated here.

media_muse

Not an expert on anatomy, but can anything be inserted into a nonpregant woman's uterus, other than sperm or some tiny surgical instrument?

chilidog
Quote Capital:

If you stuck a 1/2 pound of Cocaine in your uterus and tried crossing the Mexican Border. Do you get to claim Reproductive Rights?

Hello, if you had a uterus you would know it's not possible to put stuff in it, without passing out from the torture of trying. When a woman smuggles drugs, she might put them in her vagina, or anus, but never into her uterus. But anyway, what might be in her uterus, with or without her consent, is none of your business.

Having participated in two lengthy, on-going threads both on the subject of women's rights and abortion (going strong at page 22), I'm not especially in a mood to get into it here, except to say that I think both the Republicans and people of the Hefner persuasion are repressed in their own special way, though I'm not convinced the repression within either is a matter of sexual repression; more likely, it's a matter of the repression of soul, heart, empathy...

Zenzoe

I noticed that not one regular posting, loving, caring, compassionate conservative has made a post on any one of the 3 posts wishing Mrs. Hartmann a fast and full recovery. Is that a coincidence? Meh, disregard. It has to be a coincidence.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker
Quote Karolina:

Is this society or this government allowing a woman to LEGALLY have an abortion?

It is currently Legal to have certain types of abortions, But like all legal constructs, they can be changed.

I just enjoy the myopic Women Right issue of abortion. Basically sanctioned Baby killing. That somehow, this is a WAR ON WOMEN. When clearly the other side views it as saving children. So I guess it subjective to the political rhetoric on who holds the high ground.

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote Zenzoe:

Hello, if you had a uterus you would know it's not possible to put stuff in it, without passing out from the torture of trying.

'Pregnant' drug mule found with heroin at JFK Airport

Opps..

But anyway, what might be in her uterus, with or without her consent, is none of your business.

I disagree.
As I stated.

Capital's picture
Capital

Just because you have your head up your ass does not give you the "high moral ground" on her uterus. You may think of it as "killing children" in the privacy of your own conscience. You may not legislate that moral/religious dogma in the civil and secular society around you. It is nothing short of religious warfare. It is highly offensive and uncivil. You cannot even make it stick in your churches.

Were this concern for "the right to life" accompanied by any serious respect for the lives of others and the sanctioned and ignored killing done in the name of political and economic realism, it might be treated as a serious discussion of what conscience ought to address. In the way you put it, it deserves a kick in your groin. The politics of conscience have to be taken off the table and the Culture War ended. If you prefer to regard the campaign against women's liberty and equality as part of a larger "Culture War," I could understand your sophist quibble. It is all a theocratic assault on democracy, civility and the excercise of religious freedom.

DRC's picture
DRC

So I'm at war with women huh. And so are my wife and three daughters. Between the five of us, we know many, many women and none of them have any idea that we are plotting against them.Matter of fact, I have taken a few prisoner and am keeping them in my basement. I'm gonna hold them until the war is over. Please don't rat us out.

And puh-leeeeeeeeeeeez. Stick with the goofy "war on women" strategy. I insist. Don't even think of running on Obama's record.

rigel1's picture
rigel1
Quote Bush_Wacker:

Actually I have mentioned this several times in recent months but not in this posting. Thanks for the opportunity to say something which needs to be said again! But this is NOT FUNNY.

Economically both Wall Street and Main Street business's make more money and keep more of their profits by paying women less. This part of the "war on women" is ONLY for the economic benefit of business.

Wage discriminination is really legalized wage discrimination. While racial discrimination has been addressed through the 14th amendment - gender wage discrimination still remains. Remember as someone said: Its economics stupid."

media_muse

In that story about the Nigerian woman with the heroine at JFK, hadn't she swallowed the heroine? And it came out of her anus?

chilidog
Quote Capital:
Quote Zenzoe:

Hello, if you had a uterus you would know it's not possible to put stuff in it, without passing out from the torture of trying.

Opps..

No, I think the Oops is on you, pal. Just because something dropped out of her vagina, doesn't mean it was in her uterus. Just because she claimed to be "pregnant," doesn't mean she "gave birth" out of her uterus. The article you posted does nothing to prove the drugs were actually in her uterus. It says, "When she dropped her drawers, Awoyemi’s scheme fell apart. Pellets containing brown powder began dropping from her groin area — and the substance tested positive for heroin." So you think anything dropping from the groin area came out of the uterus? Ha ha ha!!! That's a good one.

C'mon ladies, how easy would it be for you to put pellets into your uterus? Would that be agony, or what?

Your "reproductive rights" argument is bogus. Plain and simple.

Zenzoe
Quote Capital: So I guess it subjective to the political rhetoric on who holds the high ground.

Or one's life experiences. Hearing about people who, living in Europe during the world wars, had no moral dillema getting an abortion so their beloved living children could continue to be fed, is one of my life experiences.

And you never know when starvation might hit a population. I wonder what pregnant women in Greece, Italy, Spain, Ireland, Denmark are thinking right now. I hope that it is soon resolved there and doesn't hit us here.

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote DRC:

Just because you have your head up your ass does not give you the "high moral ground" on her uterus.

The Colon impaired lecturing me. Interesting indeed

All I got from that was you don't think Killing unborn children is morally wrong.

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote Karolina:

Or one's life experiences. Hearing about people who, living in Europe during the world wars, had no moral dillema getting an abortion so their beloved living children could continue to be fed, is one of my life experiences.

<facepalm>

And you never know when starvation might hit a population. I wonder what pregnant women in Greece, Italy, Spain, Ireland, Denmark are thinking right now. I hope that it is soon resolved there and doesn't hit us here.

One does wonder...

Capital's picture
Capital

Your hearing needs to be checked along with your reading skills. Legally, and I think morally, they are "children" at birth and fetuses prior to that event. I tried to explain why the extreme misogyny of the politics of conscience and the larger Culture War made legal nuance a luxury. We are not dealing with agents of moral integrity and civililty here. The war is not our doing, and to just take it up the ass or up the uterus is offensive to consider.

If you are in blissful ignorance of anything other than your dogma, it may be because of your rectal cranial position. Nobody is attacking your conscience or your full civil rights. Grow up and learn how to work and co-exist with others. Peace.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote Zenzoe:C'mon ladies, how easy would it be for you to put pellets into your uterus? Would that be agony, or what?

Your "reproductive rights" argument is bogus. Plain and simple.

This just brings me images of the wire coat-hanger/suicide abortions in pre-legalized USA.

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote media_muse:
Quote Bush_Wacker:

Actually I have mentioned this several times in recent months but not in this posting. Thanks for the opportunity to say something which needs to be said again! But this is NOT FUNNY.

Economically both Wall Street and Main Street business's make more money and keep more of their profits by paying women less. This part of the "war on women" is ONLY for the economic benefit of business.

Wage discriminination is really legalized wage discrimination. While racial discrimination has been addressed through the 14th amendment - gender wage discrimination still remains. Remember as someone said: Its economics stupid."

How does your company discriminate against women? Any Examples? This question is open to all in this forum. If this discrimination is prevelant why not report it to the EEOC? They love this stiff?

P.S. I just captured another woman. I'm taking her downstairs for a little good ole fashioned waterboarding. I'll be going out on patrol again later tonight. I'll start with the mall, the nail boutique then move to the bars. WE WILL WIN THIS WAR!

rigel1's picture
rigel1
Quote DRC:

Legally, and I think morally, they are "children" at birth and fetuses prior to that event.

And as I have explained, Some people disagree with your assessment. Which apparently is now called the "War on Women" or depending on your prespective " war to save the children"

I tried to explain

And Failed... moving on.

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote Capital:
Quote DRC:

Legally, and I think morally, they are "children" at birth and fetuses prior to that event.

And as I have explained, Some people disagree with your assessment. Which apparently is now called the "War on Women" or depending on your prespective " war to save the children"

I tried to explain

And Failed... moving on.

I'm thinking if we go to a Celine Dion concert in Vegas we will be able to capture may unsuspecting enemy. Or we could attack the bars and hit them when their resistance is low. Either way, nothing short of total victory will do. Attack Men, ATTACK!!!

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Capital... I see once again I am concerned about your grip on reality. Did you r e a d the content on this link you posted? Have you ever had any education on body parts? Do you know the difference between the mouth and the anus? It's clear you have no idea about the location, purpose and accessibility of the uterus. Do you know personally a woman who has birthed a baby - from the uterus down through the vaginal canal?

Quote Capital:

"When she dropped her drawers, Awoyemi’s scheme fell apart. Pellets containing brown powder began dropping from her groin area — and the substance tested positive for heroin.

Awoyemi was taken to a medical facility at the airport, where the federal cops administered a pregnancy test that came back negative.

An X-ray showed more pellets in her intestinal tract, and by the end of the day she had passed about 25 pellets of heroin in a special commode that Customs officials have dubbed the “Drug Loo.” The high-tech toilet sanitizes the incriminating evidence.

A Homeland Security spokesman said Friday that Awoyemi was still hospitalized. She was expected to be brought before a federal magistrate Monday.

Typically, a drug swallower’s stomach may appear distended by the pellets or balloons filled with drugs. Four pellets lined end to end would measure about the size of a hot dog.

Twenty-five pellets of heroin could have a street-value of about $20,000. Experienced drug mules have swallowed up to 200 pellets containing drugs, indicating Awoyemi may have been on a maiden voyage, the spokesman said.

Capital, if you were willing to give up being myopic you would be provided the opportunity to act with foresight. As it is now you are confusing these issues. What is written here clearly shows a fixated belief that womens issues = baby killing. This is a tremendous erroneous overstatement. Between this and your lack of anatomical awareness things just are not adding up.

Quote Capital:

I just enjoy the myopic Women Right issue of abortion. Basically sanctioned Baby killing. That somehow, this is a WAR ON WOMEN.

media_muse

Currently Chatting