Hugh Hefner thinks he’s figured out what’s driving the Republican war on women

221 posts / 0 new

Comments

Apparently so Karolina! Your editing of the matter here is more elegant and I appreciate that!

Quote Karolina:

I guess Media_muse, that great minds think alike.

AND type at the same time! ;)

Karolina edited: I believe that this is the basis for patriarchy—some men are insecure about the fact that women have all the power about the continuation of the species, and particularly their blood-line, so they have to create hell for women.

media_muse
Quote Karolina:
Quote Zenzoe:C'mon ladies, how easy would it be for you to put pellets into your uterus? Would that be agony, or what?

Your "reproductive rights" argument is bogus. Plain and simple.

This just brings me images of the wire coat-hanger/suicide abortions in pre-legalized USA.

I know. Me too. You stick stuff up your uterus, and you're more than likely to puncture the wall of the uterus and die. And that's exactly why ABORTION MUST STAY LEGAL. Capital thinks terminating a pregnancy is immoral; but killing women is fine, I suppose.

The thing is, only a trained physician should get anywhere near a cervix (entry to uterus, Capital, and here's your anatomy lesson for the day) with any sort of implement. Even your basic PAP Smear can be touchy.

Zenzoe
Quote media_muse:

Apparently so Karolina! Your editing of the matter here is more elegant and I appreciate that!

Quote Karolina:

I guess Media_muse, that great minds think alike.

AND type at the same time! ;)

Karolina edited: I believe that this is the basis for patriarchy—some men are insecure about the fact that women have all the power about the continuation of the species, and particularly their blood-line, so they have to create hell for women.

Yeah, the same ultra conservative men who wanted Sarah Palin to run for president. We are soooooooooo confused. I'm happy that we have a few amateur shrinks running around to offer a diagnosis. I just raided the cheesecake factory and netted six more POW's in the war on women.

rigel1's picture
rigel1
Quote Zenzoe:The thing is, only a trained physician should get anywhere near a cervix (entry to uterus, Capital, and here's your anatomy lesson for the day) with any sort of implement. Even your basic PAP Smear can be touchy.

The foundation of the plot of Dirty Dancing. Remember?

That showed the entire movie-going population that the illegality of abortions made nothing less than victims out of women.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Where have you been, rigel? Hiding under a Republican rock somewhere, eh?

Quote Barbara Boxer:

House Republicans have introduced more than 30 bills that would restrict a woman’s reproductive health care. Those same Republicans, who decry an all-too-powerful government, have no problem deciding what health care is right for our daughters, or sisters or mothers.

Legislators in 39 states have introduced almost 500 measures that tell women what type of health care they can or cannot have. Republicans introduced roughly 90 percent of these measures.

Here in Congress, 116 Republicans in the House and 19 Republicans in the Senate are co-sponsors of “personhood” legislation, which would criminalize abortion with no exceptions for the mother’s life or health. The bill could also outlaw in vitro fertilization and many common forms of birth control. It could even bar doctors from providing life-saving care to women with dangerous ectopic pregnancies.

The Republican governor of Wisconsin recently signed a law passed by Republicans to repeal the state’s Equal Pay Enforcement Act, which protected women’s equality in the workplace.

While Republican Mitt Romney’s campaign had to “get back” to a reporter last week on whether the candidate supported equal pay for equal work, President Barack Obama signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act as his first bill. In the Senate, we passed that bill with 56 Democrats, while 36 Republicans voted no.

No one should forget last spring, when Republicans nearly shut down the federal government in their efforts to defund the nation’s family planning program and zero out Planned Parenthood, which provides health care to nearly 3 million women, men and teens. That’s the same Planned Parenthood that Romney now proudly says he plans to “get rid of.”

The Republicans’ attack on birth control – an issue settled decades ago – will never be forgotten as we watched a House panel on women’s health that was missing – you guessed it – women.

I was so proud of Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) and Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.) for leading a walkout of that hearing. I was also proud of the Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke for her bravery – standing up to be heard even as she was called some of the crudest words in the English language by the GOP’s leading outside voice, Rush Limbaugh.

Who can forget Virginia’s Republican legislators who felt they were more knowledgeable about a woman’s health than her doctor — by seeking to force women to undergo a transvaginal ultrasound? Or the law signed last week by Arizona’s Republican governor, stating that life begins two weeks before conception?

It doesn’t end there. Republicans in Congress blocked an international treaty – the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women – even though the only other nations refusing to ratify it are Iran, Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, Palau and Tonga.

They also oppose increasing the minimum wage — when women make up about two-thirds of all workers now earning minimum wage or less. Not one Republican is a cosponsor of the Equal Rights Amendment.

Republicans voted against the Violence Against Women Act, which helps protect women from domestic violence, when the bill was in the Senate Judiciary Committee. They voted to repeal the health care law – including the part that says no more gender discrimination in the pricing of health insurance policies and the part that offers free preventive services like mammograms, STD screening, well-woman visits and birth control.

The facts are the facts. The Republicans have launched a war on women. Despite all the denials, women get it — and so do the men who care about them.

Just like in that basketball game, the Republicans are hearing the whistle blow. Too many fouls and you’re out.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0412/75143.html

And that's just for starters.

Please God, not another Republican...

Zenzoe
Quote media_muse:

Capital... I see once again I am concerned about your grip on reality.

Lol.. your concern is appriecated. And NO I did not read it prior to posting. Had I read it (beyond the Headline), I would not have posted it. But by then it was to late. Ho Hum...

Capital's picture
Capital

Really?

Again? OK....

Ya know rigel1 - maybe you yourself are not at "war" with women. Glad to hear it. Then can you simultaneously hold these facts: you are not - but there are other who are? Admittedly this "alleged" war is made for media propaganda. And it has a basis in reality.

Let's try this as an example. The USA has been pounding Afghanistan with the destruction of war by its power and weaponry. I personally am not making war on Afghanistan. And there is a war against Afghanistan (from the USA).

I would like to take you at your word but the way you go about this makes things murky. This "war" was brought to us long before Obama's great great great grand parents were even born. However THIS "WAR" has been updated - the update provided by the wonder of today's technology. It really is a shame that the human brain cannot be uploaded for new information like our computers can.

Quote rigel1:

So I'm at war with women huh. And so are my wife and three daughters. Between the five of us, we know many, many women and none of them have any idea that we are plotting against them...... Don't even think of running on Obama's record.

media_muse

Yup..

Zenroe, as you said - just for starters, time to pray.......(isn't their another post about that going on here?)

Thank you for providing us for Boxer's irrefutable presentation of undeniable facts!

When I read this: "Those same Republicans, who decry an all-too-powerful government, have no problem deciding what health care is right for our daughters, or sisters or mothers." I continue to find this astonsishing - this inability of many republicans to understand the obvious contradictions to this decrying.

Boxer is right on here: "The facts are the facts. The Republicans have launched a war on women. Despite all the denials, women get it — and so do the men who care about them."

Worthy of repeating....so it seemed to me

Quote Zenzoe:

Quote Barbara Boxer:

House Republicans have introduced more than 30 bills that would restrict a woman’s reproductive health care. Those same Republicans, who decry an all-too-powerful government, have no problem deciding what health care is right for our daughters, or sisters or mothers.

Legislators in 39 states have introduced almost 500 measures that tell women what type of health care they can or cannot have. Republicans introduced roughly 90 percent of these measures.

Here in Congress, 116 Republicans in the House and 19 Republicans in the Senate are co-sponsors of “personhood” legislation, which would criminalize abortion with no exceptions for the mother’s life or health. The bill could also outlaw in vitro fertilization and many common forms of birth control. It could even bar doctors from providing life-saving care to women with dangerous ectopic pregnancies.

The Republican governor of Wisconsin recently signed a law passed by Republicans to repeal the state’s Equal Pay Enforcement Act, which protected women’s equality in the workplace.

While Republican Mitt Romney’s campaign had to “get back” to a reporter last week on whether the candidate supported equal pay for equal work, President Barack Obama signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act as his first bill. In the Senate, we passed that bill with 56 Democrats, while 36 Republicans voted no.

No one should forget last spring, when Republicans nearly shut down the federal government in their efforts to defund the nation’s family planning program and zero out Planned Parenthood, which provides health care to nearly 3 million women, men and teens. That’s the same Planned Parenthood that Romney now proudly says he plans to “get rid of.”

The Republicans’ attack on birth control – an issue settled decades ago – will never be forgotten as we watched a House panel on women’s health that was missing – you guessed it – women.

I was so proud of Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) and Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.) for leading a walkout of that hearing. I was also proud of the Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke for her bravery – standing up to be heard even as she was called some of the crudest words in the English language by the GOP’s leading outside voice, Rush Limbaugh.

Who can forget Virginia’s Republican legislators who felt they were more knowledgeable about a woman’s health than her doctor — by seeking to force women to undergo a transvaginal ultrasound? Or the law signed last week by Arizona’s Republican governor, stating that life begins two weeks before conception?

It doesn’t end there. Republicans in Congress blocked an international treaty – the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women – even though the only other nations refusing to ratify it are Iran, Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, Palau and Tonga.

They also oppose increasing the minimum wage — when women make up about two-thirds of all workers now earning minimum wage or less. Not one Republican is a cosponsor of the Equal Rights Amendment.

Republicans voted against the Violence Against Women Act, which helps protect women from domestic violence, when the bill was in the Senate Judiciary Committee. They voted to repeal the health care law – including the part that says no more gender discrimination in the pricing of health insurance policies and the part that offers free preventive services like mammograms, STD screening, well-woman visits and birth control.

The facts are the facts. The Republicans have launched a war on women. Despite all the denials, women get it — and so do the men who care about them.

Just like in that basketball game, the Republicans are hearing the whistle blow. Too many fouls and you’re out.

media_muse
Quote media_muse:

Boxer is right on here: "The facts are the facts. The Republicans have launched a war on women. Despite all the denials, women get it — and so do the men who care about them."

Worthy of repeating....so it seemed to me

Lol....

When I read this: "Those same Republicans, who decry an all-too-powerful government, have no problem deciding what health care is right for our daughters, or sisters or mothers." I continue to find this astonsishing - this inability of many republicans to understand the obvious contradictions to this decrying.

I find it astonishing you believe government is the only giver of Healthcare.

Near as I can tell is Republicans are not deciding what Healthcare is right for women, They are deciding what Healthcare Government is going to provide. That is called "Less Government" in case you were wondering, well within thier ideology.

Capital's picture
Capital

Capital...

Thanks for your response...

I appreciate you owning up to that bogus drug pellet link. And again Ho Hum - I am still concerned about your grip on reality without your answers to these important questions

"Have you ever had any education on body parts? Do you know the difference between the mouth and the anus? It's clear you have no idea about the location, purpose and accessibility of the uterus. Do you know personally a woman who has birthed a baby - from the uterus down through the vaginal canal?"

Perhaps the main issue here - are you able to understand enough female anatomy - to understand some of this stuff is just silly ? ? Silly - like the bogus link you posted.

media_muse

the government already is involved in our health care. Based on the facts - concerning the entire healthcare issues we face- the only way is for a single payer system or universal healthcare. What we have now isn't working. Clearly your "near as you can tell" part is off. It is funny - in an ironic way - how you don't mind the intrusive vaginal wands that are now MORE laws in some states. With several pending legislative efforts mentioned here - the facts given by Barbara Boxer....

media_muse

American Nuns

Reject Vatican's Orders

Even Catholic Nuns are chiming in about the great desparity of the war-like devastation brought to women. Those guys at the top of the catholic food chain are not pleased about the music from the nuns.,

From RSN 4/23/12:

American Nuns Reject Vatican's Orders
Wendy Gittleson, Addicting Info
"Intro: "Last week, the order came down from the Vatican. The Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR), an organization that represents 80% of the nuns in the US, was chastised for 'focusing its work too much on poverty and economic injustice, while keeping 'silent' on abortion and same-sex marriage.' The LCWR is having none of it."

"We haven't violated any teaching," Sister Simone Campbell, executive director of Network, a Catholic social justice lobby, told AFP, insisting the group would not stop "caring for the least among us on the margins of society."

"It was a total shock for many reasons, no one talked to us" during the inquiry, Campbell said.

"We are a political, not doctrinal, organization: we don't teach theology."

After the report was published, Campbell said it was "painfully obvious" the Vatican leadership was "not used to having educated women form thoughtful opinions and engage in dialogue."

"We will keep doing our mission," she insisted in a phone interview Saturday, saying the group was founded to "lobby, organize and educate" in the name of social and economic justice.

"There seems to the major disconnect, where (the Vatican) seem to think that faith can only lead to one political approach," Campbell said. The Network group, she said, "speaks for our members, not for a church. Helping others is at the heart of our faith."

The Vatican is right in that the LCWR is a liberal organization. Their website addresses income inequality with documents like this, in support of the Occupy movement, or this, in support of families of immigrants. These sisters are free-thinking women, an idea that goes against the grain of the "modern" Catholic church, which refuses to budge from the 16th Century.

The nuns aren't alone in Catholics that are at odds with the Church hierarchy. The majority of American Catholics support same-sex marriage, a change from just two years ago. The church, however, is taking a very political stance against same-sex marriage.

In March, (Archbishop) Nienstedt was one of 13 bishops from Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota who met with Pope Benedict XVI to report on affairs in their diocese. According to The Catholic Spirit, "Archbishop Nienstedt told Pope Benedict that ‘all the bishops are resolved to take this opportunity that we have in the political area to catechize in the religious area, to catechize about the meaning and the sanctity of marriage.'

The Catholic church has also taken a strong political stance against the Affordable Healthcare Act (aka Obamacare) for its policy that all health insurance companies must cover hormonal contraception. The LCWR has come out in favor of the Affordable Healthcare Act, but not because of its contraception mandate, and only after being assured that abortions will not be covered. The group sees affordable healthcare as a necessary step in battling poverty. The nuns have been silent on issues of same-sex marriage and on birth control and that is where they have been at odds with the church."

media_muse
Quote media_muse:

Perhaps the main issue here -

You are heading off the Reservation, The Main issue is there are 2 sides to this politcal Rhetoric "War on Women" as it boils down to the issue of abortions. One side supports a women right to unborn children, the other side wants to protect unborn children. So the Left frames the issue as a WAR ON WOMEN to scare people.

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote media_muse:

the government already is involved in our health care. Based on the facts - concerning the entire healthcare issues we face- the only way is for a single payer system or universal healthcare.

Couldn't disagree more.

Capital's picture
Capital

I am a bit encouraged by this. Most sects and divisions of the Christian religion have, for whatever reason, been run as complete patriarchys, leaving women for their traditional baby-machine work and maid/kitchen work. When a woman pushed forward about having some ideas that would save her people—after she won a war or two for the male leaders, she needed to be burned at the stake for her wickedness.

In the far past, when there was not all of the technology that we have now, maybe it was a practical idea for women to do the more menial house jobs, because the men were involved in the more menial strength jobs. However, there was no need to treat ladies worse than the livestock was treated, as often happened in most eras and places throuhgout history.

Today there is no excuse to continue pretending that women are somehow mentally or emotionally or psychologically inferior to men, and, of course, no excuse to keep women out of the leadership in religion, politics, or any social or political organization. Or any industry or corporation.

Glad to hear these strong nuns are "standing their ground", using their minds as the weapon against the bigots.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Here's a world map color-coded to show legality of abortion by nation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Abortion_Laws.svg

I don't think I'd want to live in Tunisia or Boratstan.

chilidog

the main issue started out about H. Hefner and his war against women. Next we had forays into the world of the female anatomy - whereby it was made apparent you had no knowledge of.

I'm not talking rhetoric here. As a woman I can tell you the real facts - no need for rhetoric. I can tell you about why I don't care for the war on women and I can tell you why its not healthy for men or women.

But you as a guy can indulge your rhetoric because that's all you have. No experience, no awareness just rhetoric. How's rhetorical life going for you Capital?

BTW, you still haven't answered my question - do you know any women that have given birth? Where the uterus needs the help of the cervix to DILATE in order to pop the babe down the vaginal canal. Do you know about this?

media_muse
Quote media_muse:

But you as a guy can indulge your rhetoric because that's all you have. No experience, no awareness just rhetoric. How's rhetorical life going for you Capital?

Not bad actually. My rhetorical slipup has little bearing on the bulk of my comments. There is no War on Women. Just propaganda. If I was to choose a side (my actual position being somewhere in the middle), I would protect the Unborn child over the women right to kill babies for her convinence.

Do I care what a dirt bag has to say about the War on Women being driven by sexually repressed Conservatives.. Not in the slightest. He has his agenda just like everyone else. He should just focus on his exploiting and torturing young women for his ego and sexual satisfaction.

Capital's picture
Capital

there are many many places I would not want to live - whether I was male or female. AND still - this does not justify our nations back sliding into regressive control of the female. Something strange is occurring here - all other developed nations are continuing to be progressive in their approach to women while the US is going back in time.

chilidog the issue here is only related to those women who have limited economic means. The ones with money can still get what ever health care they want. Clearly this is about having money and not having money.

I wonder - how many men use birth control when they visit a prostitute? I wonder about men that can't keep it in their pants how they act out with their physical desires and the issues of population control ?

Is there a map of the world that shows the laws for men and their use of prostitutes?

Quote chilidog:

Here's a world map color-coded to show legality of abortion by nation:

I don't think I'd want to live in Tunisia or Boratstan.

media_muse
Quote media_muse:

Is there a map of the world that shows the laws for men and their use of prostitutes?

http://chartsbin.com/view/snb

Notice how in a number of countries where abortion is illegal, prostitution is legal, such as Mexico and South America. Now there's a cognitive disconnect if I ever saw one!

Zenzoe

But no, it makes sense— patriarchy has greater influence on law in those countries.

Zenzoe

curiously Capital I do believe you are well intended. I am wondering have you ever felt the need to "protect" a woman from violence? Have you ever felt the need to protect a helpless child from being beaten up? Have you ever protected another man from being beaten up? Have you ever protected a helpless animal?

Why does this matter about a woman's right to choose for herself have to be about taking sides?

Why isn't it left up to the person who must make the decision?

I wonder- have you had an experience with this - which has caused you to be narrowly & hurtfully focused on the easy part of beliefs as opposed to the hard pathos of lifes realities? Have you had an actual experience with a woman where she claimed "inconvenience"? If you really believe women do this only for their convenience I would like for you to understand this is only your "belief".

Have you ever considered - there are reasons you - as a male - could not possibly have any idea of why a woman may need to abort?

Quote Capital:

[quote=media_muse]

How's rhetorical life going for you Capital?

media_muse

Thanks Zenzoe! I was hoping you or another smart person out there would catch on to the color coding for the color coded mess on the Latin side of the map. Cognitive disconnect is the name of this Patriachial koolaid. And it appears this is our direction too - although allegedly we are not a nation of "Catholics".

Quote Zenzoe:
Quote media_muse:

http://chartsbin.com/view/snb

Notice how in a number of countries where abortion is illegal, prostitution is legal, such as Mexico and South America. Now there's a cognitive disconnect if I ever saw one!

media_muse

I'd like to get back to Hefner. Am I the only lefty who thinks he's a putz? Am I the only lefty who thinks he has no business criticizing Republicans, when he himself dumps on women? Am I the only lefty who doesn't see how his attitude toward women and sex liberates women?

If I were a young, beautiful woman, would I feel liberated to be a member of his harem? Would it be liberating to know that the old guy I'm attached to will dump me for a younger, more beautiful woman as soon as I begin to age? Would it be liberating to know I'm just one of many, to know he only wants me in order to show off, to bolster his male ego, that I am an interchangeable object to him?

Nope.

Zenzoe
Quote Zenzoe:

Quote Barbara Boxer:

You nailed it! Conservative men do not want our women to have health care. We would prefer that our daughters and sisters live under the thumb of some man.

So the war on women is actually a battle to stop women from screwing? That's it? Really? Relax. Women are free to pork anybody any time and we highly recommend contraception. The last thing we need is an army of little socialists running around.

We are not trying to bully health care providers into what services to provide. That would be none of our business.

I know that you desperately want there to be a war on women. The lame racist, homophobe accusations have failed miserably. So you really need your war. I get it. You can't run on Obama's record so ya need to create a silly assed war. Well I beg you, please stay with this arguement. Ride it all the way to November.

NEWSFLASH! My insurance company tells me what kind of treatments they will pay for. They restrict my health care. I wonder if they know I'm not a chick?

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Hefner is

a putz. So I don't mind saying it again -

"I don’t see much evidence of sexual repression either. To my mind Hefner does not has a valid point. He's just doing his economic part to sell as many magazines as possible. The media has provided him the opportunity to fatten up his profits.

Hefner is correct about the "repressed" part - but once again he's got things catawampus. Consistent he is! Hefner's work & legacy for sexual freedom is / was FOR MEN. It was never about the sexual freedom of the female - only the freedom for her to be shown naked - only for the female to be in service to the male."

media_muse

Uterus, cervix, vagina... I feel like I'm at some fancy-shmancy French restaurant where I can't read the menu! I like pussy! You got pussy? Just bring me some pussy!

chilidog
Quote media_muse:

Have you ever considered - there are reasons you - as a male - could not possibly have any idea of why a woman may need to abort?

In short. I dont care. As a human being I'm entitled to an opinion and that opinion places a women's convinence secondary to the life of a unborn child that by all right is only half hers. Empathy isn't a pursasive argument.

If you really believe women do this only for their convenience I would like for you to understand this is only your "belief".

2004 study by the Guttmacher Institute

• 74% Having a baby would dramatically change my life
  • 73% Can’t afford a baby now
  • 48% Don’t want to be a single mother or having relationship problems
  • 38% Have completed my childbearing
  • 32% Not ready for a(nother) child
  • 25% Don’t want people to know I had sex or got pregnant
  • 22% Don’t feel mature enough to raise a(nother) child
  • 14% Husband or partner wants me to have an abortion
  • 13% Possible problems affecting the health of the fetus
  • 12% Concerns about my health
  • 6% Parents want me to have an abortion
  • 1% Was a victim of rape

Do you see too many reasons in there that wouldn't be considered a convinence. Hardly based on my "belief"

You mean other than the medical necessity arguments and other larger mitigating problems, Incest, Rape, etc). I have considered them all. It offends me , as it should offend everyone, that you would consider Having a baby would dramatically change my life” as legitimate reason to kill a child.

Capital's picture
Capital

How can the sodomite whoremonger Hefner blame anyone for anything? Republican war on women? What about the democrat war on Christianity? Just yesterday I was arguing about gender roles and differences to some nut on science blogs. There is no war on women. If you refer to a woman's "choice" to assasinate her unborn child, then yes there is a war - between us and Satan who creates such crimes. Go ahead and kill your babies. God will judge you in the end and as for gender roles and differences, that debate was settled 6500 years aho when God created a WOMAN for Adam, not another man. He created them equal but different but with each their own role to play in the family. If you do not like it do not blame Republicans. Take it up with God who made the rules.

Now, about the war on men in the media ... Don't tell me you never noticed how modern advertisements make the man look like a bumbling idiot while the perky independent modern woman has it all together. Your hopey changey crap is great for speeches but when one enters the real world all your free handouts and all your gayism and modernism and all then liberal craps that you dream of becomes true, it will all burn when Christ returns and the world burns.

Captain Patriot's picture
Captain Patriot
Quote Capital:
Quote media_muse:

In short. I dont care. As a human being I'm entitled to an opinion and that opinion places a women's convinence secondary to the life of a unborn child that by all right is only half hers. Empathy isn't a pursasive argument.

If you really believe women do this only for their convenience I would like for you to understand this is only your "belief".

2004 study by the Guttmacher Institute

• 74% Having a baby would dramatically change my life
  • 73% Can’t afford a baby now
  • 48% Don’t want to be a single mother or having relationship problems
  • 38% Have completed my childbearing
  • 32% Not ready for a(nother) child
  • 25% Don’t want people to know I had sex or got pregnant
  • 22% Don’t feel mature enough to raise a(nother) child
  • 14% Husband or partner wants me to have an abortion
  • 13% Possible problems affecting the health of the fetus
  • 12% Concerns about my health
  • 6% Parents want me to have an abortion
  • 1% Was a victim of rape

Do you see too many reasons in there that wouldn't be considered a convinence. Hardly based on my "belief"

You mean other than the medical necessity arguments and other larger mitigating problems, Incest, Rape, etc). I have considered them all. It offends me , as it should offend everyone, that you would consider Having a baby would dramatically change my life” as legitimate reason to kill a child.

So, may we assume you would be willing to pay more taxes to support, each year, the additional 50 million women and the offspring they would produce were your anti-abortion beliefs translated into law? How about the increase in crime down the line, due to the additional numbers of unwanted children born into poor households, where abuse becomes the norm when women do not have control over their reproductive destinies? Wanna pay for that too? No? They should just wallow in poverty and be happy to be born into a culture that abandons all but embryos?

Your reducing of the exigency of an unwanted and unplanned pregnancy to an "inconvenience" reveals a depth of ignorance I one can only pity. But that's the choice and habit of anti-abortion zealots everywhere, or so I've noticed— to be ignorant, and small-minded about the lives of women. Shame on you!

And that goes double for Mr. Creepy Capt. Patriot, above. Yikes, knuckle-draggers united there...

Zenzoe
Quote rigel1:

NEWSFLASH! My insurance company tells me what kind of treatments they will pay for. They restrict my health care. I wonder if they know I'm not a chick?

Isn't that the definition of a "death panel" according to republicans? I wonder if they know you are a conservative?

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

oops...gosh, excuse me... didn't mean to use such big difficult words for you.

I would think with all the fracas about Fluk and flap from the guys about the "womens womb" and how guys know best about controlling it - and stuffing it - that at least they could understand how things work.

chilidog - maybe you need to eat at some French restaurants first. Could be an important step for a chilidog - could open a whole new wide wild world.

Quote chilidog:

Uterus, cervix, vagina... I feel like I'm at some fancy-shmancy French restaurant where I can't read the menu!

media_muse

The times they are a changin', as Bob was wont to say. The world as we know it is going through epochal change, right now, that in the end is going to see the loss of control by the traditional powers and they fear that so exquisitely that they are doing everything they can to hold on to their antiquated control paradigm. In a world where women are, by volume, literally twice as smart as men, then it is inevitable that most of the best decisions about society are going to come from women. With a world wide community of persons, which is a state that trancends nations, toward which we are rapidly and irreversibly approaching, the interconnectivity of community is going to require that war go the way of the dodo. And that will show that men are hardly needed for anything more than the heavy lifting.

In the new paradigm the shallowness of male rule will be exposed and the organized religious hierarchies are also going to pass into history as an extinct species, since all of them are centered on the dominance of women. That reveals that all of future society is going to be matriarchal in nature because, quite simply, women are more relevant to society then men.

jmacneil's picture
jmacneil
I think Capital gets to have this one. It's a religious thing. Just one I don't share.

Personally, I have no more regard for an organism that has no more competency to even appreciate its own existence than the 3 month old hamster fetus . Capital is entitled to his passions.

Art's picture
Art

Well, we're into Samuel Alito's seventh year on the USSC. They've found it compelling to overturn 100 years of campaign finance law that no one cared about, but not so compelling to overturn 39 years of abortion rights, which is the main reason probably one-third of voters go to the polls every election.

chilidog
Quote Art:

I think Capital gets to have this one. It's a religious thing. Just one I don't share.

Who said it was a religious thing? Have I mentioned Religion anywhere.

{quote] Personally, I have no more regard for an organism that has no more competency to even appreciate its own existence than the 3 month old hamster fetus . Capital is entitled to his passions. [/quote]

And they call conservatives Cold hearted.

Capital's picture
Capital
And they call conservatives Cold hearted.
So, now you know what you're dealing with. That's a good thing.

Art's picture
Art
Why are you so passionate about fetuses?

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:

"Passionate?" More like monomaniacally obsessed.

Zenzoe
Quote Art:

Becuase I was once a Fetus, My wifes was a fetus, My children were a Fetus, All my extended family back to the Stone Age were once fetuses. Correct me if I'm wrong, You're were a fetus once. To think you are advocating killing you before you even had a chance.

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote Zenzoe:

"Passionate?" More like monomaniacally obsessed.

I suppose if that were true I'd be on every one of the other threads.

Capital's picture
Capital
To think you are advocating killing you before you even had a chance.
I would never even know the difference, would I? I don't see any suffering here. I don't see a tragedy here.

Why exactly are you passionate about a future that never happened?

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:

I would never even know the difference, would I? I don't see any suffering here. I don't see a tragedy here.

Why exactly are you passionate about a future that never happened?

So then I assume you advocate the killing of new borns also? As long as their ability to self aware is limited and the suffering can be minimized. Would you even know the difference now?

Capital's picture
Capital
So then I assume you advocate the killing of new borns also? As long as their ability to self aware is limited and the suffering can be minimized.
No, I don't.
Would you even know the difference now?
I don't get this part. You suggest that I don't know the differnce between a newborn and an early fetus? Is that what you're getting at?

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:

I don't get this part. You suggest that I don't know the differnce between a newborn and an early fetus? Is that what you're getting at?

I am suggesting if you were kill today would you even know the difference. You say a Fetus wouldn't know the difference... Would you?

Capital's picture
Capital
I am suggesting if you were kill today would you even know the difference. You say a Fetus wouldn't know the difference... Would you?
Oh, your question wasn't very clear. No, of course I wouldn't know the difference. The people around me who love me and are invested in me would, though. There would be suffering and pain. I would have much more regard for a newborn baby than I would for a hamster fetus. Would you? Or would you consider them equivalent?

Art's picture
Art
Quote Karolina:
Quote Capital:At least I'm not advocating killing babies.

No, just killing poor people. And consequently, poor people's babies. Once they're out of the xxxxxx.

Remember this Cap? We got sidetracked into a shame game, and never got to the bottom of this. Without sarcasm or insults, I am truly trying to understand this.

Conservatives' apparent ideology just seems moronically self-serving in all ways to me. They want to blame poor people for their poverty, but they don't want to give them tools to climb out of it. They don't want to give poor people a social safety net, but they want them to have ghettos full of babies and keep bringing hungry unwanted children into the world. They want embryos to have a chance to become fetuses, then fetuses to become babies which have horrible lives where, if the unwanted babies become problem children, they might immediately get on a path of ruin and despair and even end up being executed by the state, which the Conservatives fully support.

It just makes NO sense, unless for some reason the Conservatives are trying to maintain a large population of people belonging to a powerless class whose lives are filled with constant suffering. Why? To be handy human beings regarded as livestock, that can be induced to do a strong, healthy person's bidding? That's the only way I have been able to understand it.

You know that women who are not living lives of poverty will be able to get abortions somehow, even if it means going to another country, so basically Conservatives are insisting that all unwanted embryos have to develop into hungry, poor, anxious, frightened, often unloved, underpriviledged people who are dregs of society.

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote Art:

Oh, your question wasn't very clear. No, of course I wouldn't know the difference. The people around me who love me and are invested in me would, though. There would be suffering and pain. I would have much more regard for a newborn baby than I would for a hamster fetus. Would you? Or would you consider them equivalent?

That is an interesting perspective. Neither you or the Fetus would be aware of Death, So now you expand it to those around you, thereby broadening the scope of those we can kill to include those who have little to no impact on the world.

Are we talking Hamster Fetus? Do you think a Human Fetus could somehow magically turn into a Hamster Fetus. False equivalency. So you hold the Newborn in higher regard than you did a hour before. Where an hour before you would be ok with it termination. Why is that? Is higher regard above Zero, Which you have NO regard for a fetus.

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote Karolina:

Conservatives' apparent ideology just seems moronically self-serving in all ways to me. They want to blame poor people for their poverty, but they don't want to give them tools to climb out of it.

When you start off with stupid shit like this, makes it really hard to take the rest as anything but dogmatic jibberish.

They don't want to give poor people a social safety net, but they want them to have ghettos full of babies and keep bringing hungry unwanted children into the world

And I would argue you have that backwards. Where Liberals just want the dependency and the ghettos for of babies so they can have more people dependent upon the system. Conservative take a more tough love approach. I'd wold post the only know study to shows conservative as just all round better people where liberal are more hands off and believe government solves all problems. But you guys freak out whenever it brought up.

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote Capital:Becuase I was once a Fetus, My wifes was a fetus, My children were a Fetus, All my extended family back to the Stone Age were once fetuses. Correct me if I'm wrong, You're were a fetus once. To think you are advocating killing you before you even had a chance.

I think that your passion to develop every embryo into a person, is somehow based on some fear which I don't understand.

I believe, and it is currently more and more supported by science, that this Universe is teeming with constantly changing life. Bacteria and such are most prevalent, it seems, but nevertheless there is constant life in various stages and directions of evolution everywhere that it finds support—and is able to adapt to the circumstances available.

Your lines of ancestors and your current family have already been born. You now deserve to be magnificent as human beings and to live the best possible lives that human beings can live, because you all were born. Rejoice and celebrate that, and allow every woman on this earth to decide whether-or-not her embryo (i.e. clump of dividing cells without the brain, spine or nervous system to think or feel with) will have a fair chance to be magnificent and to live the best possible life that human beings can live.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Currently Chatting

The world we're leaving for today's teens...

Without immediate global action on climate change, today's teenagers will be forced to live with the consequences of our inaction. The World Bank has issued their third report of climate change, and it says that global temperatures could rise by as much as 4 degrees Celsius by the time today's teens hit their 80th birthday.