Hugh Hefner thinks he’s figured out what’s driving the Republican war on women

221 posts / 0 new

Comments

Here is something to lighten it up a little. It's slightly relevant in that he's talking about a baby in the womb sometimes. I introduce you all to Lee Camp. Let him rant for you.

http://leecamp.net/2012/04/the-human-race-other-evil-little-bastards-m-o-c-134/

Choco's picture
Choco
Quote Zenzoe:

On the one hand, you say, "I ok with 1st trimester abortion," but on the other hand you wish "people" to "stop using Abortions as birth control." I mean, either you're against abortion as a form of birth control, or you're not. You can't have it both ways. And the question becomes, So, what would you like it used for in the first trimester— weight control?.

You are wrong, I have it any way I like.

I am against using Abortion as birth control but I'm also against the micro management/ state intrusion needed to police such a restriction. It's a pragmatic approach to cap abortions at the 2st trimester. Because someone once made a compelling case regarding the "Clumps of Cells"

Actually, in case it hasn't occurred to you, what you refer to as birth control (abortion), allows women to have equal status with men. It removes an impediment to the freedom to determine one's reproductive destiny, putting women on equal standing with men. It grants us equal opportunity in life, the same as men should have. If you can explain why this "birth control" shouldn't be available to women, in a way that does not reduce us to slave status, I'd love to hear it.

Is that status so important you'd kill an unborn child over it? So while you may hope and dream of Equal status, you are not, nor will ever be equal.

Capital's picture
Capital

mm, with all deference to your exchange with Cap, I think you do well to keep your own conscience on when "the right to choose" goes away in a pregnancy rather than make it into public poliicy and law.

It is my belief that the law cannot pay enough attention to nuance and context in the cases that have been put into the limits. There are many reasons different women choose abortion, and none of them have to pass my bar of approval for it to be up to the particular woman. I suggest the correlation between being able to make an intelligent and well-thought out decision and the ability to handle being a mother. It is bad enough that some young girls "choose" to have their babies just to have someone in their life who loves them and they can love. We need to get rid of all the legal harassments. Let women choose because nobody else is in a position to judge.

drc2

I said

I lean

towards the woman having the choice. Since we are back to repeating ourselves - "Unless one is dealing with a child under 18 years old - we may not care for the decision another person has made but ultimately it is none of our business. We adults must have the right to make our own decisions.This is the only way to achieve "personal responsibility." You got the "responsibility" part down very well but the "personal" part needs development- as in allowing for another person to be a person.

You cherry picked an example of the termination of an 8 month pregnancy. I was under the understanding this was very rare. After researching I learned I was correct - rare it is

Quote Capital:

You mean you wanted appeal to emotion fallacy to hold a higher role in the discussion. You want people to empathize with the problems of women that leads them to make these decisions. "my parents are going to be angry" is not a valid excuse to end a life.

I find men who say "do as I say not as I do'" extremely hypocritical.

Since we went SPERMINATOR AGAIN here it is again:

If you don't want an abortion don't have one.

If you believe another ought not have one then all you can do about it: is NOT have one yourself.

This was offered as a simple pragmagtic solution. Our founding fathers were brillant when they advocated & set up our governance to separate church & state. It seems like we would be better served by following this part which is part of our governing documents.

media_muse

it seems we might agree - but the first paragraph has me puzzled. If we are going to get down to the microcosm of life yes, I agree - sometimes the right to choose goes away. It can go away in many many ways. And it could be by choice or by not choosing.

I agree - NO law can fully incorporate all the nuances of life, and the context in how they manifest. I agree with you - " Let women choose because nobody else is in a position to judge".

That's why I say:

If you don't want an abortion don't have one.

If you believe another ought not have one then all you can do about it: is NOT have one yourself.

This was offered as a simple pragmatic solution. Our founding fathers were brilliant when they advocated & set up our governance to separate church & state. It would serve us by following this part which is part of our governing documents.

media_muse

What a

Wonderful World it Would Be - if ....

folks used the TBYF (Think Before You Fuck) - as developed and promoted by Alberto. Perhaps Alberto could play together with the people at TLC Tugger, Improving the World, One Penis at a Time. They could develop a joint campaign which would make every one more happy! Every conception delighfully choosen!

Quote Alberto Ceras:

A lot of us would probably have rejected the "gift" of life had we been given the chance. Now that we have it we need to think deeply before we have children ourselves and, if we already have them, we need to accept the obligation of discussing the issue with them (or their children, our grand children) trying to convince them to think long and hard about it - not from their perspective but from that of the child they may selfishly consider bringing into existence.

How about if we campaign to make TBYF (Think Before You Fuck) as popular as TGIF? Maybe we should start wearing buttons or T Shirts with TBYF in big, red letters stamped on them (see the images). Pass them out free of charge to all secondary school kids.

Israel kamakawiwo'ole - "What a Wonderful World on Vimeo► 4:30► 4:30vimeo.com/2280407Nov 18, 2008 - 5 min
Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo`ole's video of the worldwide hit "What A Wonderful World " produced by ...

media_muse
Quote Capital:
Quote Zenzoe:

On the one hand, you say, "I ok with 1st trimester abortion," but on the other hand you wish "people" to "stop using Abortions as birth control." I mean, either you're against abortion as a form of birth control, or you're not. You can't have it both ways. And the question becomes, So, what would you like it used for in the first trimester— weight control?.

You are wrong, I have it any way I like.

Yes, most blathering idiots think they can have it any way they like.

Quote Capital:

I am against using Abortion as birth control but I'm also against the micro management/ state intrusion needed to police such a restriction. It's a pragmatic approach to cap abortions at the 2st trimester. Because someone once made a compelling case regarding the "Clumps of Cells"

Meaningless blather, again.

Quote Capital:
Quote Zenzoe: Actually, in case it hasn't occurred to you, what you refer to as birth control (abortion), allows women to have equal status with men. It removes an impediment to the freedom to determine one's reproductive destiny, putting women on equal standing with men. It grants us equal opportunity in life, the same as men should have. If you can explain why this "birth control" shouldn't be available to women, in a way that does not reduce us to slave status, I'd love to hear it.

Is that status so important you'd kill an unborn child over it?

Don't use your "unborn child" BS on me. An embryo or a fetus is NOT an "unborn child." That's right-wing political ideology speaking, and I'll have none of it! I know psychological manipulation when I see it. But if you must refer to embryos and fetuses as unborn children, fine. The answer is the same—YES! Call it murder, call it any damn thing you like. It's still our right, our bodies, not yours.

Quote Capital:

So while you may hope and dream of Equal status, you are not, nor will ever be equal.

And what is that supposed to mean? So, do you mean that women are second-class citizens, and that's fine with you? Or, do you equate "equal" with "same," thus you miss the whole point? I'm confused. Help me out here.

Zenzoe

I understand the silly. I don't have a son but I saw the pain of it in my sisters face - she did it for the same reason - fear about their boy being "different" and the social negative. The Dad used the high school locker room shower scenario as the reason for going ahead with the circumcision - Dad being a male thought it would be a problem - their son unable to hide other males seeing the "difference".

With my other sister - she and the father discussed the issue before the birth of their son. Dad wanted the circumcision for the same reason. For some reason Dad left the scene before the birth of the baby boy. My sister on her own was able then to do what she thought was best - despite hearing all the problems with"the difference". I'm glad for her and her son she was able to do that. I'm glad you have realized that the different alternative is not so different. Healthier and more sanity to the difference and this is how our world slowly changes.

Quote Zenzoe:

Media_muse and Karolina, I do SO agree with you about circumcision. Horrible practice, tantamount to genital mutilation. If I had it to do again (my sons), I wouldn't have allowed it. But parents have such fears about their boys being "different" and the social negatives there. It's silly, but there it is.

media_muse

It seems so strange to see circumcision brought into this, but I think there is a nexus of some kind.

A newborn boy is subjected to a surgical procedure that probably hurts. In moments, he has no memory of the pain and, years later, he most likely places no significance on the procedure. Do we lament the momentary pain of the procedure? As a circumcized male, I can't put a lot of importance on that moment. Do we lament the foregoance of the future added pleasure that will never happen because of the loss of this sensative tissue? I don't know. Only that he was a born individual who is deprived of the knowledge of that experience.

So it is with the aborted fetus. How much do we lament the momentary discomfort of the loss of placental sustanence for a creature with limited ability to even experience his predicament? How much do we lament the foregoance of a future that never happens? (Not sure that "foregoance" is even a word).

An interesting addendum to this is that men would probably be the ones to have the final judgment on this. They're the only ones who have penises.

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:

It seems so strange to see circumcision brought into this, but I think there is a nexus of some kind.

A newborn boy is subjected to a surgical procedure that probably hurts. In moments, he has no memory of the pain and, years later, he most likely places no significance on the procedure. Do we lament the momentary pain of the procedure? As a circumcized male, I can't put a lot of importance on that moment. Do we lament the foregoance of the future added pleasure that will never happen because of the loss of this sensative tissue? I don't know. Only that he was a born individual who is deprived of the knowledge of that experience.

So it is with the aborted fetus. How much do we lament the momentary discomfort of the loss of placental sustanence for a creature with limited ability to even experience his predicament? How much do we lament the foregoance of a future that never happens? (Not sure that "foregoance" is even a word).

An interesting addendum to this is that men would probably be the ones to have the final judgment on this. They're the only ones who have penises.

And women are the only ones with lives that, without abortion as an option, would be sacrificed to biology and male dominance. Women are the only "born individuals" who, without abortion as an option, would be "deprived of the knowledge of the experience" of freedom, the freedom to pursue careers, the freedom to have sex for pleasure and not procreation, the freedom to choose when and how many children to have, or if to have children at all. Women are the only ones who, without abortion, would lose the integrity of their bodies, the autonomy granted to them by virtue of their citizenship, and the ownership of themselves.

Quote Capital:

So while you may hope and dream of Equal status, you are not, nor will ever be equal.

Let's hear it, Capital. Just how much of the quintessential, male chauvinist in yourself do you want to reveal?

Whatever, ladies, you see, it sure looks like Capital has revealed the true spirit of the anti-abortionist: The spirit of male supremacy, plain and simple. They don't consider women to be equal human beings; they don't agree that women are equal, by virtue of their basic humanity. No, women are sub-beings in the anti-abortionist mind, useful in the same way cows are useful— beasts of burden, to bear the seed of their superiors, men.

Sickening, but true. Capital's opinion is not based on religion, just the religion of male dominance and superiority. That's the reason he has such a hard time empathizing with the suffering of women who face an unwanted pregnancy. We don't have real feelings. What we feel doesn't matter, and whatever it is we feel, it must always be subordinated to somebody else's feelings. Whatever life we have, it must always be subordinated to the life of someone else!

Are you that kind of bigoted creep, Capital? Is that who you are? I'll be happy if you are not, but right now it's sure looking that way.

Zenzoe
Quote Art:So it is with the aborted fetus. How much do we lament the momentary discomfort of the loss of placental sustanence for a creature with limited ability to even experience his predicament? How much do we lament the foregoance of a future that never happens? (Not sure that "foregoance" is even a word).

I believe that part of the human spiritual & psychological makeup is a subconscious that notices and records every experience of a person's life and every detail that the person might miss when without the tools to understand—consequently how an event makes a human being feel ends up being a building block or a wound to their spiritual and psychologically growing persona.

I also believe in the possibility of reincarnation, and because the phenomenon of life is all about creation, flourishing, health and, also, about healing any incurred wounds—I believe in karma as being one possible way of becoming a healthy mind/soul, i.e. a healthy part of this Universe. I have always thought of abortion as possibly a relatively pain-free way for mind/souls with some killing-karma to settle that spiritual "wound"—otherwise why would they enter into a situation that is going to be an abortion or a miscarriage.

Still, personally, if I had a pregnancy which for some reason needed to be interrupted, I can't imagine that I would ever be able to seek an induced abortion at any but the earliest possible time, when I would know for sure that the soul that had placed itself in my charge would not have to experience any physical suffering at all.

I just can't see any spiritual or psychological use for purposely making baby boys experience excruciating pain that maims them.

Karolina's picture
Karolina
I believe that part of the human spiritual & psychological makeup is a subconscious that notices and records every experience of a person's life and every detail that the person might miss when without the tools to understand—consequently how an event makes a human being feel ends up being a building block or a wound to their spiritual and psychologically growing persona . . . I just can't see any spiritual or psychological use for purposely making baby boys experience excruciating pain that maims them.
The Jews had all sorts of ritual practices based on perceived dangers. Don't eat pork so you don't get triichinosis, don't get sexual with a woman who is menstruating (I have no idea what that was about - probably an ick thing). The circumcision thing was all about cleanliness. I doubt that it constitutes lasting psychological trauma. These things become immortalized in tradition. I forgive them.

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:The Jews had all sorts of ritual practices based on perceived dangers. Don't eat pork so you don't get triichinosis, don't get sexual with a woman who is menstruating (I have no idea what that was about - probably an ick thing). The circumcision thing was all about cleanliness. I doubt that it constitutes lasting psychological trauma. These things become immortalized in tradition. I forgive them.

I know that, but I was told that the cleanliness thing was about being in the desert without water and consequently not being able to hold infections at bay.

Human civilizations have had running water for a few dozen centuries, and still now—at least for the moment. Still no sense to me.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

chilidog ate French food - awakening this appropriate organic nexus. Ooo la la French food is wonderful!

Quote Art:

The human body holds the memory of pain - I have had the undeniable experience in my own body. I've discussed this with some of my doctors and massage therapists along with other folks curious about this. Many folks have had the experience. We hear about phantom pain - where a person will complain of "feeling" pain in their limb - which has been amputated. Its clear there is more involved in the body - even if one does not remember the actual experience in the brain. Sometimes one will lament and sometimes one just moves on - depends on the individual & circumstances. Thankfully - I have not had my genitals mutilated so I cannot speak to this part. I am certain - both the physical and emotional circumstances of human life - in the womb and outside of it have a profound effect on us. The total profundity still in need of DEEP exploration. When the USA begins to devote our tax dollars to the wonder of life as opposed to the destruction of life our world will advance. Amazing awesome miraculous incredible opportunities are awaiting us. When we understand better how we can bypass the reptilian brain - to get to the more evolved higher brain - our Mother Earth will lovingly welcome us to the next part of our evolution.

Quote Art:

Clearly there is much we do not understand about the human body. And, If you will recall from the diversity of the dialogue in this posting here - many males know nothing about female anatomy. Puzzling - as they must have intimate contact with these parts to spawn offspring. But it makes we wonder if they even understand their male body. Some have no idea how birth control works. This provides its own nexus - as research on the human body has focused almost solely on the male body. More research needs to be done on both female & male.

Along with that our USA governance focus's mainly on killing babies, children, teenagers, adults, grandparents here there and every where - killing is reinforced daily as part of our cultural experience. For some of the males here this is ok as their concerns of killing are reduced and reserved - concerned ONLY for THEIR simplistic control they want - over every woman's body. Ironic isn't it?

The incomparable visionary Stan Grof and his wife Christine have done amazing research into the human psyche and its influence on the human body.

Psychology of the Future: Lessons from Modern Consciousness Research (Suny Series, Transpersonal & Humanistic Psychology) by Stanislav Grof (Jul 1, 2000)

In his writing here he brings us descriptions from his patients memories from the womb. The title Psychology of the Future speaks to the "future". I found everything believable - again from my own experience base. But we are not ready for the future. I wish we were. But we can't even handle the today. Our world would be so different if everyone or only 25 % of the population could hold and utilized the enlightened wise awareness the Grofs have brought to us. With their compassionate forward thinking and research they have brought us some of what happens inside the womb - and outside the womb as the former wombers grow up.

Karolina actually gives us the basic background of Grof's work with her astute comments here:

Quote Karolina:

I believe that part of the human spiritual & psychological makeup is a subconscious that notices and records every experience of a person's life and every detail that the person might miss when without the tools to understand—consequently how an event makes a human being feel ends up being a building block or a wound to their spiritual and psychologically growing persona.

I just can't see any spiritual or psychological use for purposely making baby boys experience excruciating pain that maims them.

Thank you Karolina - I'm with you!

I believe most American men are circumcised - to my mind this is the only possible reasonable explanation as to why we are the bombing the world back to the stone age - in 2012. It is why we are completely and utterly focused on the continuing development to have more and more ways to bomb - murdering, killing and maiming babies, children, teenagers, adults, grandparents. I believe it is related to several issues relating to the expression of our human sexuality to. The Europeans have a more forward approach to their sexuality - they could advance after all the regressive Puritans came across the pond. Those Puritans spawned sperminators bringing us to 2012 where we are slithering (thanks Bill Moyers!) in to a foul cesspool of deadly repression.

Our repressed USA heritage is keeping us from moving forward to the larger survival issues we need to find solutions for. Out of control economic controllers - banksters gangster financiers. Our out of control - lazy cheating immature congressional corps - with a few exceptional people holding down their stupidity. Our out of control consumption of food and natural resources contributing to global warming. Our out of control pursuit - of oil, gas, the justification for the dangerous fracking - we are contributing to global warming along with the destruction of the earths interior ecosystem.

I wonder - what would our USA and world look like - without "making baby boys experience excruciating pain that maims them" ?

I wonder - what would our world look like - if those baby boys did not grow up to "believe" it is ONLY THEIR right to decide for, dominate and diss the female ?

What a wonderful world it would be.... at least I can dream about it.

AIACTWBTSOFUTR!

media_muse
Quote Zenzoe:

Yes, most blathering idiots think they can have it any way they like.

Unless your plan is the thought police and re-education camps.. I think I'll just think anything I like.

Don't use your "unborn child" BS on me. An embryo or a fetus is NOT an "unborn child." That's right-wing political ideology speaking, and I'll have none of it! I know psychological manipulation when I see it. But if you must refer to embryos and fetuses as unborn children, fine. The answer is the same—YES! Call it murder, call it any damn thing you like. It's still our right, our bodies, not yours.

Ooooo you'll have none of that huh.. Last I checked a fetus doesn't become a lamppost, or a Carrot. The right you proclaim isn't absolute and already is getting scaled back incrementally.

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote Zenzoe:

Let's hear it, Capital. Just how much of the quintessential, male chauvinist in yourself do you want to reveal?

Whatever, ladies, you see, it sure looks like Capital has revealed the true spirit of the anti-abortionist: The spirit of male supremacy, plain and simple. They don't consider women to be equal human beings; they don't agree that women are equal, by virtue of their basic humanity. No, women are sub-beings in the anti-abortionist mind, useful in the same way cows are useful— beasts of burden, to bear the seed of their superiors, men.

Sickening, but true. Capital's opinion is not based on religion, just the religion of male dominance and superiority. That's the reason he has such a hard time empathizing with the suffering of women who face an unwanted pregnancy. We don't have real feelings. What we feel doesn't matter, and whatever it is we feel, it must always be subordinated to somebody else's feelings. Whatever life we have, it must always be subordinated to the life of someone else!

Are you that kind of bigoted creep, Capital? Is that who you are? I'll be happy if you are not, but right now it's sure looking that way.

Do you have self esteem issues? I wonder why you have such a low opinion of yourself that such a comment brings out the worst in you. Your meaningless lashing out is just plain sad and borders on short bus special.

Maybe you should take a break from blogging and do a bit of soul searching.

No, I do not think women are lesser. In fact they seem to have just about everything I want. They a different and they never can be equal.

Capital's picture
Capital
Quote Capital:
Quote Zenzoe:Let's hear it, Capital. Just how much of the quintessential, male chauvinist in yourself do you want to reveal?

Do you have self esteem issues? I wonder why you have such a low opinion of yourself that such a comment brings out the worst in you. Your meaningless lashing out is just plain sad and borders on short bus special.

Maybe you should take a break from blogging and do a bit of soul searching.

No, I do not think women are lesser. In fact they seem to have just about everything I want. They a different and they never can be equal.

In what Zenzoe wrote there, I don't see anything that suggests that she has any self-esteem issues. She is simply calling it as she sees it.

Your suggestion that men & women can never be equal is absurd. Gender is meaningless in everything except where reproduction is concerned. There is no reason for women and men to have anything separate or different except public bathrooms.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Thanks, media_muse. Obviously, Capital defines "equal" as "same," just as I had wondered. Would it do any good whatsoever to explain the concept of social equality to the boy? Would it help to refer him to what I said somewhere, above, about equality, that we are equal by virtue of our basic humanity; we are not the same; we're only deserving of equal opportunity, and equal treatment before the law. Still, I'm glad he understands that women are not "lesser." Perhaps hope exists there yet.

On the objectification of women: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sam-sommers/face-perception-_b_1457826.html  —very fascinating!

Zenzoe

Good day to you Zenzoe - can I bring you some refreshments for the next upcoming rounds of more nonsense with SPERMINATOR?

It has been my experience when faced with such dense defensive cogitative dissonance all I can do is laugh and scratch my head in puzzlement. Marion Woodman says that when "we bring someone to consciousness kicking & screaming" then we become responsible for them. I hope Sperminator doesn't land on your back.

You've made excellent points for the concept of social equality! As you noticed - social equality is not what Sperminator is wanting. It is ironic - undeniably. Sperminator can argue point after point after point - without ever opening to the reality that he is not the final arbiter - the decider of EVERY WOMANS - private decision. If he were to be allowing for the woman - the consciousness of another - this is a sobering thought....and he's not ready for sober.

I'll get some towels out and some fresh floral spritzers, I'll spritz out some hope too - freshen things up for the next go around. Watch out for your back!

XOXOXOX

Quote Zenzoe:

Thanks, media_muse. Obviously, Capital defines "equal" as "same," just as I had wondered. Would it do any good whatsoever to explain the concept of social equality to the boy? Would it help to refer him to what I said somewhere, above, about equality, that we are equal by virtue of our basic humanity; we are not the same; we're only deserving of equal opportunity, and equal treatment before the law. Still, I'm glad he understands that women are not "lesser." Perhaps hope exists there yet.

On the objectification of women: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sam-sommers/face-perception-_b_1457826.html  —very fascinating!

media_muse
Quote media_muse:

It has been my experience when faced with such dense defensive cogitative dissonance all I can do is laugh and scratch my head in puzzlement. Marion Woodman says that when "we bring someone to consciousness kicking & screaming" then we become responsible for them. I hope Sperminator doesn't land on your back.

Oh no! Sperminator on my back?! What a terrible, terrible thought! Reminds me of a song by one of my favorite rockers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohK_c1cVs9k

Zenzoe

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.