I am Barack Obama and I approved this message

15 posts / 0 new

The chairman of The Associated Press has announced his support for Obama. Below is the love letter he wrote to the President. The rest of the NFM will soon be following in his footsteps. The AP is not a news organization it is a campaign wing for Obama. Here's what I don't get. The left has control of most of the newspapers, the major broadcast media, hollywood, entertainment, music The Universities, virtually all of the city governments, the Unions and a substantial chunk of the 1%. Why the hell are you so afraid of FOX news? We have one, just one media outlet and ya'll are greedy. You want it too. Don't you realize the danger when you don't allow any dissent? From here on out you will see very little negative reporting from the NFM on Obama. You will see NO positive reporting on Romney from the NFM. Don't be so damned greedy. Be content with owning the entire media. Just let us have FOX.

“As president, he inherited the headwinds of the worst economic recession since the great depression. He pushed through congress the biggest economic recovery plan in history and led a government reorganization of two of the big three American automakers to save them from oblivion. He pursued domestic and foreign policy agendas that are controversial to many, highlighted by his signature into law of the most comprehensive health care legislation in history. And the budget plans proposed by the president on the one hand and Republicans on the other hand aren’t even on the same planet.”

He concluded the intro with, “We’re very honored today to have the man currently holding the office and aspiring for it for another term, and with apologies to Al Green, my new favorite singer.”

If that wasn't an endorsement then nothing is.

The video: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/associated-press-chief-offers-lavish-praise-obama_635342.html

http://www.aim.org/on-target-blog/ap-chairman-comes-close-to-endorsing-obama/

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Comments

The way you characterize the media is ridiculous Rightwing nonsense. They are businesses owned by big defense contractor industries who have not given anything Left of Center any face or voice time on the air. AP has been notoriously deferential to positive war coverage and to other Center/Right ideas. On economics, there is no place there for critics of "free market" economics, but there are some critics of very badly managed economies such as the disaster nobody could ignore in '08 under Bush/Cheney.

It is accepted that the "center" of the narrative has moved to the Right. What were Republican ideas a decade ago are now "too radical" for today's GOPimps because Obama is blessing them in the spirit of compromise. This is why he gets flack from the Democratic and Progressive Left for not doing the better response to these issues, such as Single Payer.

Therefor, if an AP editor finds him doing a good job, particularly compared to the utterly empty Right where more of what caused the disaster is still what they want, I would not consider this a sign that the Left has any media control now either. It just means that this Centerist President is preferred by the Centerist/Right media to the absurd and radical Right of the GOPimps.

FAUX deserves to be treated as "performance art" instead of "news" or even "opinion." It is the acting out of the pathology and a great place to learn about insanity first-hand. Beware, it does suck your brains out and crushes your skull.

DRC's picture
DRC

[quote]We have one, just one media outlet and ya'll are greedy. You want it too.[quote]Nonsense. I want Fox News to keep on doing what it does.

I see no reason that the AP should not offer endorsements, just like every other newspaper in America. Even our right-leaning newspaper offers space for right-wing op-eds by people like Krauthammer, Norquist et al. Then people write in and comment on the things they've read. That's how newspapers work. Have you considered the possibility that the Chairman of the Associated Press has seen nothing positive to comment about as regards people like Romney?

Art's picture
Art
Quote rigel1:As president, he inherited the headwinds of the worst economic recession since the great depression.
Yes.
He pushed through congress the biggest economic recovery plan in history and led a government reorganization of two of the big three American automakers to save them from oblivion.
Yes, and yes. GM is #1 worldwide and opening new U.S. plants as I write this.
He pursued domestic and foreign policy agendas that are controversial to many, highlighted by his signature into law of the most comprehensive health care legislation in history.
Yes, and even that was a compromise.
And the budget plans proposed by the president on the one hand and Republicans on the other hand aren’t even on the same planet.
Have you seen the Paul "Ayn Rand is required reading for my staff" Ryan budgets lately?

What a wonderful letter! Thanks for sharing!

think_r

C'mon rigel, the AP guy endorsed a Moderate because the Cons have gone so far out to the edge that they are falling off. Your indignation is making you look stupid. Hating Obama so much is what makes your side think he is 'radical.' He is a Moderate Republican by policy and hardly what Progressives are for. What is amazing is that Romney disqualifies himself to the Center Right, not just to the Left of Center. Paul Ryan's budget is from another planet. Oh wait, it is from the ether of outer space because it would not work anywhere.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote rigel1:...The left has control of most of the newspapers, the major broadcast media, hollywood, entertainment, music The Universities, virtually all of the city governments, the Unions and a substantial chunk of the 1%. Why the hell are you so afraid of FOX news?

The left does not control these things. The media that reaches most people is pablum that is biased towards towards exploitation. That is why, for example, they were so gung ho into starting a war with Iraq. That is why people are against Obamacare but for single payer. If anything, the media is biased toward the right because it is biased toward ignorance. The wars, the deaths, the destruction of the planet are all the result of the media not supplying the public with the information they need to make informed decisions. And it is precisely why I am afriad of FOX news.

FOX news should not be permitted on the air because it makes people stupid instead of informing them. It purposely lies and distorts. It should be sued for that very reason, but cannot be, because the judge who oversaw one of the suits said that lying was perfectly acceptable for a news organization to do.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

Faux News......We Retard, You Comply......

People like rigel are the result of their propaganda.

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter

More like the middle has control of most of the media. That's pretty much where Obama resides. The republican party as of right now resides much farther to the right than any time in my lifetime. Doesn't it make sense that most legitimate news organizations would stay as close to the middle as possible? If you have a middle dwelling president and a middle dwelling media then it makes sense that a good portion of that media will echo that administration. Fox news hangs out way on the right along with the current republican party.

It's actually President Obama's who has moved over to the right where he can be all comfy with the media. Mainstream media is pretty much where they have always been. If the republican party were to move far enough towards center then they would be comfy with the mainstream media and would be demonized by Fox. The proof is that any republican who is considered moderate gets thrown under the bus by Fox and Rush.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

First, the introduction from the AP is a factual accounting of the last 3 years. And remember he is introducing the President of the United States. They invited the POTUS to speak. Would it have been better to have BillO give the intro, and holler and spit out vile insults?

Second, the Left doesn't control the media. Ratings and the advertising dollars that follow control the mainstream media. Period. CNN doesn't create intro music for events like the Gulf War because they enjoy the work, or they want the costs. They do it to increase the number of viewers. The chase for ad dollars dictates what most TV and radio does. If you can come up with a concept for an original channel, that can pull enough veiwers, you will be a television titan. HGTV, History Channel, and E! all serve an audience.

Third, I don't hate or fear or feel greed for Fox News. What upsets me about them is the bearing of false witness, the propaganda tactics and the destruction of journalism standards that masquerades as "news". If they called themselves Fox Asshats, Fox Opinionators, or Fox Propaganda then everything they do would still be at the same level of lies and half truths, but without stealing from the legacy, honor and dignity of men like Murrow and Cronkite. Fox News doesn't merely besmirch themselves they sully the whole enterprise of journalism.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

I think Phaedrus is being a bit naive about the media being open to anyone with money. There is a basic self-interest in media ownership in preventing any public interest requirement to cut into their profits. Those who advocate a return to the concept that public ownership of our airwaves ought to be respected in practice will not get favorable treatment.

We also deal with the brainwashing of Commerce by Biz Schools and the media to make it appear that Liberals and Progressives hate small businesses and economic freedom. Corporate has made the Chamber of Commerce and the Club for Growth memes "gospel" for a lot of advertizers who don't know better. Radio execs in charge of programming don't try to sell Liberal talk and put it on low power sticks even though it gets good ratings. We do not have a free media market for anything that can attract an audience.

Then there is the subsidized FAUX which is pure pr spin for the Right. It attracts Crack Addicts of political and cultural hate very effectively. Those who fund this stuff make money from what it does, so their commercials are not just about supporting part of the opinion spectrum. The policies advocted by the Left benefit society instead of directing profits into the hands of the sponsors. They can benefit in business from having more customers who can buy their stuff if Liberal policies win, but they are investing in a good society rather than commerce run amok.

DRC's picture
DRC

There is no "left/right" media. They are two sides of the same coin. Kabuki/pro wrestling.

The "left wing" does not own the media. The media covers for the elite.

We used to call the stuff from nuclear reactors "nuclear waste". Every station, every news source now calls it "spent fuel rods" or "spent energy". Even on Democracy Now! it's called spent fuel rods.

On "PBS" or "Redeye" radio... the keystone pipeline goes to Houston. That's like me saying that I-65 goes to Indianapolis. Sure it does... it goes a lot further, but I'll leave that part out.

Am I to believe that there are "Lefty" news corporations? Is NBC leftist? They are the same corporation that is General Electric and Comcast. The last thing I remember about the internet was the president and the powers that be, trying to censor it. Comcast did not come out against that yet they are a major provider. CBS/Viacom... they are "lefties"? ABC/Disney... they are "lefties"? Clear Channel radio is "left wing"? PBS and their corporate SPONSERS! Are they "left wing"? CNN is "left wing"? Ted Turner is a progressive? Go on youtube and search CNN fake news and then tell me that the war mongers are "left wing"!

"WE"... WE? Who is "we"? We've got one... FOX. Really? Fox is "right wing"? The owner of FOX is a tyrant married to a communist. Is that "right wing"? Go on youtube and search Fake John Stossell/John Bolton and then tell me that FOX is right wing! Tell me Fox is "right wing" when they can the judge after 5 minutes of truth telling.

My God, how we love to lie to ourselves. We'll fight, call each other names to defend our illusion of choice.

The ONLY thing "WE" have is the internet.

I fear that it's not for long.

Fletcher Christian's picture
Fletcher Christian
Quote Phaedrus76:...Second, the Left doesn't control the media. Ratings and the advertising dollars that follow control the mainstream media. Period. CNN doesn't create intro music for events like the Gulf War because they enjoy the work, or they want the costs. They do it to increase the number of viewers. The chase for ad dollars dictates what most TV and radio does.

First, and tangentially, there are a lot of exceptions for that rule. All the newspapers conspired to say that Bush would have won the Gore recounts - even though if you actually read the articles it said if all the counties had recounts Gore would have won. Another example - why did Bain capital get rid of all the AM owned day time liberal talk shows in the bay area? Why did Murdoch loose 500 million dollars a year to launch FOX news?

Second, and more importantly, the media does actually avoid stories that harm it' advertisers.

Third, advertisements work better with ignorant people (more on the right) than intelligent ones (more on the left).

Most importantly, however, the media's fixation on exploitation, tragedy and gossip - and their neglect of investigative journalism - feeds nearly always the right, not the left. It is the right that uses ignorance to get their way. For example, Rick Santorum saying that they don't teach history in the state university system in California. No one explaining Keynesian economics and stimulus policies. No one saying that Iraq and 9-11 had nothing to do with one another. No one mentions we have the lowest effective corporate tax rate in the world. And on and on.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ
Quote Sprinklerfitter:

Faux News......We Retard, You Comply......

People like rigel are the result of their propaganda.

You wouldn't be passing judgement on me would you? Not very tolerant. I thought progressives were far above such childish deeds. Newsflash for Sprinkle. There ARE NO PEOPLE LIKE RIGEL. I'm one of a kind. And aren't you the lucky ones that I choose to spend some of my precious, in demand time with you.

God bless & Happy Easter!

rigel1's picture
rigel1

If you want to be one of a kind, stop repeating what FAUX tells you. You don't sound original at all, just another dittohead idiot, and we are already over-supplied. Learn something, and if you cannot learn anything here, go somewhere else because you just waste a lot of time and space here.

DRC's picture
DRC

Thank You rigel for proving there is nothing more frightening to behold than bold dynamic ignorance in action....

Happy Easter to you and your family!

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter

Currently Chatting

We Need to Listen to the Founders and Stop the Forever War.

Just a little over a year ago during his speech at the National Defense University here in Washington, D.C., President Obama talked about winding down Bush’s War on Terror. But as American bombers continue to strike against ISIS in Iraq and now Syria, it now looks like the War on Terror will be with us for years to come. And that’s a really dangerous thing for our democracy.