Kuril Islands. Are they even large enough to support a large number of evacuees?

2 posts / 0 new

http://www.eutimes.net/2012/04/russia-stunned-after-japanese-plan-to-eva...

Have not been able to find much else about this posting but if it is true then I wonder where all the people will find land to live and space to build.

The movement to the Chinese ghost cities would be a monumental task also but more likely. Would Japan actually consider leaving such a large swathe of it's land unoccupied even if the worst case scenario came to pass?

I remember my Government (Irish) telling us when we could and could not eat or drink dairy foods after Chernobyl due to the radiation fallout reaching into the Atlantic and see the same type of thing happening again here if the reactor pools fall.

Unable to catch the show much since starting a new job a few weeks ago and wondering if this had been covered and what the concensus had been. Lots of ripples in this story that could become a wave large enough to bury many old hatreds but also dredge up many past scars.

JmsThoughts's picture
JmsThoughts

Comments

It does make you wonder why Russia doesn't give the islands back. The cold war is over and it's not like they have to pretend to be enemies of the U.S. anymore. And, since the age of empire is swiftly coming to a close, Russia certainly has far more land than they are ever going to need. Another, similar situation is in Chile. Why won't they give the land back to Bolivia so that they can have access to the ocean? It's kind of ridiculous to keep Bolivia landlocked, or is that part of the U.S. hegemony still in play because Bolivia grows cocoa leaf and they kicked the U.S. criminal DEA out of the country?

jmacneil's picture
jmacneil

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.