Monsanto threatens to Sue Vermont legislature if it passes a GMO Labeling law.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
VCR

As reported by the Organic Consumers  Association's news letter Organic Bytes,  Vermont may not pass the GMO Labeling law now languishing in the state legislature because Monsanto has threatened to sue the state if they pass the bill.  See the article at www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_25180.cfm.  VCR.

Comments

Pierpont
Pierpont's picture
One might think that

One might think that conservatives would want to protect states rights... or consumers in the market to have full knowledge of what they were buying. Yet when push comes to shove, we see that they're more interested in protecting corporate profits than states rights or the consumer's right to know. Shame also on the FDA which has given Monsanto legal cover.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
I've had enough of the

I've had enough of the Monsanto crime syndicate.  Time to shut down that company before it destroys life on the planet.   The guy who started it was every bit the classic "mad scientist."

Pierpont
Pierpont's picture
captbebops wrote: I've had

captbebops wrote:

I've had enough of the Monsanto crime syndicate.  Time to shut down that company before it destroys life on the planet. 

We have a bigger problem than Monsanto. The "logic" of US capitalism made it "rational" to actually invent a "death gene"... and those wed to this logic said there's no better way to feed the world's hungry than to let the food supply of the world's poor to be controlled by an amoral for-profit corporation. Yikes! Such apologists have no morals or shame.  

MEJ
MEJ's picture
Monsanto is definately among

Monsanto is definately among the worst and most evil. WTF is wrong with the eco-terrorists? Monsanto should be at the top of the list. Stupid ELFs were burning Colorado resorts while Monsanto runs free...

Choco
Choco's picture
Monsanto is as evil as

Monsanto is as evil as Halliburton, Dyn Corp and Blackwater if not worse. Where are the free market people who tell us that open competition gives us the best products at the best prices? Why are they not demanding that Monsanto lable their GMO Frankenfoods so that the customer can make the best buying decision? I'm sick of the hypocrisy and the media focuses on all the wrong stuff. The pressure is building all around.

humanitys team
humanitys team's picture
Monsanto are being allowed to

Monsanto are being allowed to pollute and destroy nature as it naturally is to be allowed to make a profit in a highly evolved society it would be clearly seen that the quality of the lives of the people who own or work for this company are being irrevocably damaged.What profit is there in that?

When humans give life PRIME VALUE the Monsanto,s of this world would not be allowed to function as this would be akin to suicide as the Eco system that supports us all is given the highest concern because it has to support life to the optimum level.

Short term profit=LONG TERM LOSS.

As a collective we could decide  if a company proves to be a poor steward of the land ,the land is no longer kept in there care,AND THE WORLDS ECOSYSTEM WOULD DRAMATICALLY IMPROVE OVER NIGHT.

TheFirstLeftist
TheFirstLeftist's picture
I do not support the law but

I do not support the law but I do support the right of the Vermont Legislature to pass it.  Let me explain.  Unlike fake conservatives and unlike progressives, I actually support the 10th Amendment.  So, yes.   The progressives who call out the conservatives who claim to be for federalism are correct.  However, it is your precious nationalist 14th Amendment (which was never ratified anyway) that allows the Federal Courts to throw out state statutes.  Vermont should be able to pass a labeling law and it should not be reviewed by the federal courts.  Of course, Monsanto could sue in State Court, but I would be more confident that the state courts in Vermont would uphold the law.

Let me explain, from a true free market perspective, why the law is unnecessary.  In a truly free market, a company should be able to print "Non-GMO" on their labels.  Anyone who didn't wouldn't be trusted by the public as to whether or not their product contained GMO's.  Now, if a company put "No GMO" on their labels and it was found that there was GMO's in the product, they can and should be taken to court.  That's one of the functions of government; to enforce laws against fraud.  The great thing about this system is that no one is forced by the government to put anything on their labels.  Anyone who puts any kind of "Non-GMO" label on their products can be watchdogged by consumer organizations as to the truthfulness of the claim.  Remember, if you let the gov't have power to make a company put something good on their products, you are implicity giving the gov't  the power(which we have now) to prevent good companies from making truthful claims on their labels.

chilidog
Sue for what? First of all, I

Sue for what? First of all, I am unaware of anyone suing the legislative or judicial branches of government.  Secondly, Vermont passes a law that Monsanto objects to.  Monsanto "sues" immediately to get a judge to grant an injunction on enforcing the law until there are hearings and the courts decide whether the law is allowable.  Alternatively, Monsanto doesn't comply with the law, and Vermont penalizes Monsanto, and then Monsanto says that the law is unallowable for some reason.

Are people suggesting that Monsanto's going to sue the Speaker of the Vermont Assembly or whatever they call their legislature, for $10 million dollars?