Nearly 13 million Americans looking for a job

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thom Hartmann A...
Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture

The jobless are screwed – federal funding to retrain Americans workers and prepare them for the jobs of the 21st century are drying up.  Funding for job-training programs across the country is down 18% from 2006 – even though there are six million more unemployed Americans today.  Funding for counseling for the unemployed – like resume guidance and job interview coaching – is down 13%.   In fact – funding for job retraining for Americans is roughly half of what it used to be more than a decade ago. 

So now – even though the economy is slightly improving – business are having difficulty finding Americans workers who are trained and qualified to handle the new job.  President Obama’s budget proposal called for a massive increase in job retraining programs – increasing funding to nearly $3 billion a year.  Studies show this is a good economic investment, as every dollar spent on retraining unemployed Americans for new jobs yields as much eight dollars for the local community. 

However – multi-millionaire Congressman Paul Ryan’s Republican trickle-down austerity budget once again slashes funding for federal job retraining programs.  Under their proposal – it’s far more important to give $3 trillion in tax breaks to the super-rich than give working Americans new job skills.

Comments

captbebops
captbebops's picture
Last week a friend showed me

Last week a friend showed me the web site for California's employment department and there was not ONE job listed for the county I live in even though the county has a population of over a million.  Unbelievable!

Now what I would like to know are what are these jobs that employers can't find trained people for?  My bet is it they can't find people who can fill the jobs that are going to be cheap.  The key to training someone is to look for someone who has done something similar with maybe about 10-15 degrees separation between the two fields.  To transpose those skills to the new field is far less time consuming and costly than retraining someone.

The problem is that many HR and executives are dull uncreative people who can't think out of the box and thing even of the solution I mentioned above.  They have wooden robotic ideas about hiring and until those are replace with innovative solutions then the job market will still be terrible.

And another thing they NEVER seem to want to do is help people turn their skills into a self-run business.  At least in 1980 the state I lived in did provide a week long workshop for that but then that was 1980.

DRC
DRC's picture
I love the idea of "human

I love the idea of "human resources" in the lexicon of "economic man."  Of course nobody can afford to hire a human being for this kind of work.  Sacrifices to Mammon make it too expensive.