New $50 - 20 year LED light bulb

2 posts / 0 new

How many people does it take to screw in a light bulb? Just one…every 20 years. Coinciding with Earth Day, Dutch electronic company Philips put on sale the first of it’s kind super super-energy-saving LED light bulb that is projected to last two-decades without dying out. The light bulb retails for $50 – but generates over $160 of savings over its lifetime.

According to estimates by Philips – if every house in America switches over to use the new long-lasting light bulb – the nation would save $3.9 billion a year in energy costs – and cut 20 million metric tons of carbon emission from the atmosphere.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

Everyone should wait twenty year and see if any last that long. I fell for that marketing spiel about big savings and long lasting quality with the compact florescents and changed all of my light bulbs, and I can tell you that they burn out about as regularly as incandescents.

jmacneil's picture
jmacneil

Currently Chatting

Can Democrats Set Out a New Path?

Democrats must embrace a pro-government platform, not run away from it.

Those were the sentiments of Senator Chuck Schumer today, in a speech given at the National Press Club. Talking about the reasons for Democrats’ losses on Election Day, Schumer said that those losses were proof that the American people and middle-class want a government that will work more effectively for them.