In Nothing We Trust

10 posts / 0 new

National Journal article pretty much says what the title infers. 90 years ago the same thing happened, to a lesser degree or not, I don't know.

There was a guest on Thom's show about a great shift or transition. Reconstruction, then great depression were the first of cyclical shifts if I'm not mistaken. There will most likely be a lost generation, beginning with 2000. 2025 will see US broken into regional units, some with high standards of living like the Scandinavian countries. The other regions will be like Botswana, and Mexico, maybe a little Somalia style with the nra militias and insurgent bombings.

Whitmire is a story of Muncie, and Muncie is the story of America. In this place—dubbed “Middletown” by early 20th-century sociologists—people have lost faith in their institutions. Government, politics, corporations, the media, organized religion, organized labor, banks, businesses, and other mainstays of a healthy society are failing. It’s not just that the institutions are corrupt or broken; those clichés oversimplify an existential problem: With few notable exceptions, the nation’s onetime social pillars are ill-equipped for the 21st century. Most critically, they are failing to adapt quickly enough for a population buffeted by wrenching economic, technological, and demographic change.

Knock around Muncie for proof: City Hall, like Washington, is petty and polarized, driving down voter engagement. Stodgy mainline churches are losing worshipers in droves. Low-tech and unruly public schools are prompting parents to pull their children out. The city’s once-beloved business class shuttered its factories, leaving a legacy of double-digit unemployment and helplessness. Labor unions once credited with creating the middle class are now often blamed for the demise of industry. Even The Star Press, Muncie’s daily newspaper once venerated for holding locals to account, was gutted after a job-killing merger in 1996 and the sale, a few years later, to media giant Gannett.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Comments

A democracy bound together by a commitment to full human and civil rights for all could have regional differences, etc. Those of us living in the future Cascadia would have a lot of good things. I would not be able to get a passport to go back to Indiana under the government they would choose without the commitment to the above. Any of the Southern Xtian Theocratic States would be hell on earth.

Who knows?

DRC's picture
DRC

From your link:

They applied for a trial loan-modification through an Obama administration program, and when it was granted, their monthly bill fell to $473.87. But, like nearly a million others, the modification was canceled. After charging the lower rate for three months, their mortgage lender reinstated the higher fee and billed the family $1,878.88 in back payments. Whitmire didn’t have that kind of cash and couldn’t get it, so he and his wife filed for bankruptcy. His attorney advised him to live in the house until the bank foreclosed, but “I don’t believe in a free lunch,” Whitmire says. He moved out, leaving the keys on the kitchen table. “I thought the bank should have them.”

This sad Obama-related band-aid scam put poorly in place through the failing institutions, while he bailed out those very same institutions, destroyed one relationship in my familiy through the financial loss of their home and some related factors that destroyed their credit that are part of the scam. I'm sure there are many variations on that theme. But we can't bad mouth Obama's ineptitude, because it might bring in Romney instead.

Quote douglaslee:

2025 will see US broken into regional units, some with high standards of living like the Scandinavian countries. The other regions will be like Botswana, and Mexico, maybe a little Somalia style with the nra militias and insurgent bombings.

I would love to see a planned regionalization of this nation based on the major identifiable ecological macro regions, where each region would focus on developing sustainable problem solving programs related to its unique ecological characteristics. Along with that, the erection of a sort of umbrella government based on a parliamentary system, perhaps similar in structure though not function to Iraq's new government.

However, given the inept and utterly maddening inertia of the current system, if that projected 2025 regionalization occurs, it will probably be as a desperate reaction to collapse, like the collapse scenario of the Soviet Union. Thus, your scenario could be the one that emerges.

.ren's picture
.ren

121,000 bridges, 41,000 schools and 651,000 miles of roads were built during FDR's New Deal (according to Wikipedia),

Harvey Cox in "Feast of Fools" said the turbo-consumerist, hyper-individualist culture is bereft of memory and hope, festivity and fantasy. Consumption goes through the roof, not population. Possessions possess us so we must buy a new car when our neighbor buys a new car. Erich Fromm warned us about "having" triumphing over "being" and surrendering our freedom for the promise of happiness.

Time for a New Deal, for alternative economics with reduced working hours, person-oriented work, labor-intensive investment, redistribution and redefining work, security, strength and health. The future could be full of community centers, free Internet books and soft power - if we could only abandon the myths and fictions of the self-healing market! Time to clean the inside of the cup as well as the outside and to recognize the signs of the times and not only the signs of the weather!

demandside's picture
demandside

I can see a future where because of broadband more and more people are working from home. If you work from home you don't really consume that much more power from the grid and on the flip side of that billions could be saved in energy consumption from mega office buildings. All those vacant office buildings could be remodeled into housing. The way it is now we literally take up twice the space. Half of your day is spent at your home and half of your day is spent at your home away from home; the office. The employer saves huge sums in building leases or rents and the employee saves huge sums in gasoline expenses. This is great for family unity as well and would save millions on daycare. It's a win, win, win for the planet and employers and employees. Exxon won't like it but that's just too bad.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

If we protest that Obama barely did anything that helped, it would help if we put the blame on those who made more politically impossible. That way we could be against the weak response but opposed to the forces of greed. Keeping our opposition focussed and balanced means not letting disappointment trump outrage.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote demandside:121,000 bridges, 41,000 schools and 651,000 miles of roads were built during FDR's New Deal (according to Wikipedia)....

.....Time for a New Deal ...

That was the idea behind the North American Water and Power Alliance project—a huge project to get started with the new New Deal. Of course it would have to get passed, but at least someone has an idea that would bring in lots of immediate long-term jobs, industry, and get started on one of the needed new infrastructure projects.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

When government, business, industry, the media and even religious institutions are unresponsive to the people then the people themselves must respond. Occupy!

mdhess's picture
mdhess

Infrastructure development is GREAT! The "only" thing one has to keep in mind is liberty. You know, at what cost? Does "infrastructure" come at a detrimental cost to the society at large.

It's a balancing act.

I want a louder voice that contributes towards that balancing act.

So do you. I know that you want a louder voice... that's why you took the time to actually think it though and type it out.

mdhess... that was a very good post. I LOVE free speech! My only question is "Are you 'occupying'? Or are you wanting 'others to occupy'?" I ask this because at first, I applauded those who were willing to occupy even though "I" was not, occupying anything... except my normal life... work, home, wife, religion... etc..

I don't criticize "OCCUPY" anymore because "I" have not done the work myself. (That's BOTH positively and negatively.) I am willing to bet that you have not done the work "yourself", either. If I am correct... then you too, should cool it on the hype.

I do not have the time. It's as simple as that. I am going to Chicago to protest. That's as much as I can do... for now. If it continues to get worse... then my VOICE will get louder.

Then... I'll be "black bagged" and tortured. Kidnapped, tortured, my wife put into a concentration camp, and my relatives murdered... ALL "legalized" now under our "liberal" president. If you think that is hyperbole... then do yourself a favor and look it up. Just this year... 01/01/12 and 03/16/12 look up those "E.O.'s". That's Presidential "Executive Orders" for you and me.

The "catch" is... that one cannot "legalize" tyranny under our Constitutional Republic. This is going to be interesting on how this plays out. I'm guessing that it's going to play out EXACTLY like the "Hunger Games". Which is why almost NO ONE here on this site is discussing the NUMBER 1 MOVIE IN AMERICA!

THE SILENCE IS DEAFENING!

It hits too close to home.

"Normalcy bias" in action.

Fletcher Christian's picture
Fletcher Christian

Sorry fellas... I guess I got a case of the blues. I don't mean to be so nasty.

The president was on Jimmy Fallon... they both looked very handsome.

They wore some nice suits.

Jimmy looked nervous.

The crowd was polite.

Fletcher Christian's picture
Fletcher Christian

Currently Chatting