Officials Close Gulf Waters to Shrimping As Reports of Deformed Seafood Intensify

3 posts / 0 new

Looming Crisis: Officials Close Gulf Waters to Shrimping As Reports of Deformed Seafood Intensify
Source: Stuart H. Smith
Date: April 23, 2012

Alarmed by widespread reports of visibly sick, deformed seafood coming out of the Gulf of Mexico, state officials have closed area waters to shrimping this morning (April 23). The waters will be closed indefinitely as scientists run tests in an effort to get a handle on a situation that is fast becoming a full-blown crisis on the Gulf Coast.

The closures – including all waters in the Mississippi Sound, Mobile Bay, areas of Bon Secour, Wolf Bay and Little Lagoon – mark the first official step in responding to increasingly urgent reports from fishermen and scientists of grotesquely disfigured seafood from Louisiana to the Florida panhandle.

[...] I am deeply saddened but not surprised by the shrimping closures. I applaud the courageous move by state officials to put consumer safety first. There’s no doubt in my mind – as I’ve said for months on end – that seafood coming out of the Gulf of Mexico is unfit for human consumption. [...]

http://enenews.com/state-officials-shut-down-shrimping-in-gulf-amid-scientists-finding-deformities-and-horrifying-creatures-media-attributes-closure-to-lesions-then-retracts

harry ashburn

Comments

The Alabama Marine Resources Division makes no mention of anything to do with the BP leak or food safety related to thier closure decision. The closure is in response to routine shrimp sampling that indicated the average size were smaller than 68 head-on shrimp per pound, which is the state-regulated per-pound minimum.

"They're running 100-count," Shrimping Veteran Billy Rice said. "That's small shrimp.

"Smaller shrimp are coming in. They close it down until the larger shrimp come in."

Rice said it happens every year.

"The rain water pushes the shrimp out," Rice said. "They migrate. They got a season they come in, and a season they go out."

State Marine Biologist Craig Newton said, this year, shrimpers will have to sail elsewhere a little bit earlier than normal.

"Primarily, due to the mild winter, that we had," Newton said, "but, overall, the shrimpers are accustomed to this closure."

http://www.local15tv.com/news/local/story/Shrimping-Waters-To-Be-Closed-This-Weekend/_v0NRY93k0epFh1yC3m2Bg.cspx

stwo's picture
stwo

I've heard that, because the dispersant used in the Gulf after the spill is a sever eye irritant, now that a few generations of shrimp have been born into this chemical soup, they have "evolved" to deal with their new surroundings - many Gulf Shrimp are now born WITHOUT EYES!

Personally I find this horrifying, but much worse is the reaction I'e been getting when I tell people about this. A sampling -

So? - What's down there for a shrimp to see, anyway?

Don't we cut thier heads off before we eat 'em? Who cares if the heads that we toss have no eyes?

One guy took the long view - Well, I think that the shrimp that DO have eyes will be better able to avoid predators, so this adaptation will soon fade by natural selection. (feel better already, don't'cha?)

And my favorite - "Shrimp have EYES??!!"

I begin to think the Earth would probably be much better off WITHOUT mankind!

mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.