Stop the PEBBLE MINE in Alaska! Show your support!

1 post / 0 new

Anglo American’s chief executive has said: "We will not go where communities are against us." Rio Tinto claims: "Good community relations are … necessary for our business success …

"

Really? An overwhelming 80 percent of Bristol Bay residents — including its Native peoples and commercial fishermen — are against this massive gold and copper mine. And a solid majority of other Alaskans oppose it, too.

Last fall, local residents left no doubt when they passed a

Save Our Salmon ballot measure that would ban the Pebble Mine. But the companies behind the mine just won’t take "NO" for an answer. They’re challenging the democratic outcome of that vote in court. So much for "good community relations."

It’s no surprise that opposition to the mine is so intense. This vast open pit — two miles wide and 2,000 feet deep — would be gouged out of the headwaters of one of the greatest wild salmon runs in the world. Its operations would produce an estimated 10

billion tons of contaminated waste — 3,000 pounds for every man, woman and child on Earth. The mining giants are hoping that colossal dams — some taller than the Three Gorges Dam in China — will hold back that waste forever, even though the mine will sit in an active earthquake zone.

The Native peoples, fishermen and other residents of Bristol Bay don’t want their unspoiled home to become the kind of dead zone that surrounds other giant copper mines around the planet. No wonder they’ve said "NO" loud and clear.

This week, Anglo American and Rio Tinto will hold their annual meetings in London.

Their shareholders must decide if they want a share of environmental and financial disaster. Please join the people of Bristol Bay in sending them a message:

It’s Time to Take

NO

for an Answer.

Go to www.

StopPebble

.org

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.