Thom,when are you going to add a "solutions" part to your tv/radio programs?

17 posts / 0 new

A lot of people know about problems,what`s needed is "solutions".I get right to one important issue,(time is a wasting with the natives restless and the rich crazy and mother nature ready to send all to hell) Move your money was a solution to the bailout of the big banks,nothing has change and things are getting worst.Imagine when started the austerity and continue the foreclosures? It`s time for another solution to move your money,it`s time for a good progressive program like yours to dedicate time to solutions, from you & guest's & audience & history. We need solutions,with only problems,it leads to all kinds of "breakdowns"! (bread & circus/turn-off/drugs)

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Comments

I agree with Tayl44. We need to offer solutions and explain why. For instance, American jobs being sent over to third world countries is the leading cause for unemployed here. It has created a run on our unemployment insurance as well as put a strain on our social services. As such we all have to wonder why we taxpayers stuck paying the bill. Shouldn’t we put an import tax on all imports not made on par with our labor and environmental laws? Because once again, why are we taxpayers stuck paying for the damages that those imports cause?

There is no such thing as cheap imports because when we do we have the additional expense of paying people not to starve.

Dano45's picture
Dano45
Quote tayl44:

it`s time for a good progressive program like yours to dedicate time to solutions from you & guest's & audience & history. We need solutions,with only problems,it leads to all kinds of "breakdowns"!

Thom is giving solutions all the time. From what I gather his three biggest solutions are

1) Get corporate money out of govt with a new Amendment saying that corporations are not people and money is not speech. He is always telling us to go to http://movetoamend.org/ to petition that.

I think there sould also be an anti-lobbying law to at least limit the pay and number of lobbyists and to keep politicians and their staffs from being hired by lobby firms right after offfice.

2) The Supreme court has way too much power to strike down laws passed democratically by We the People. Congress could take away this nullification process igf it had the votes--and the guts.

3) Repeal the Reagan tax cuts- This is the mother of all the economic troubles and the reason the 1% can remain in total control of the government buying off politicians and destabilizing the economy with unsustainable bubbles thaqt crash leaving millions unemployed.

Erik300's picture
Erik300

One of his books is a 12 step process to getting the economy back on track. I think it might be "screwed" but I could be wrong. Suffice it to say, that isn't on the radio so the criticism is legit.

I always find the "go get involved" comment to be worthless. It is HOW we get involved that matters.

ah2
Quote ah2:

One of his books is a 12 step process to getting the economy back on track. I think it might be "screwed" but I could be wrong. Suffice it to say, that isn't on the radio so the criticism is legit.

I always find the "go get involved" comment to be worthless. It is HOW we get involved that matters.

That would be the excellent:

Rebooting the American Dream: 11 Ways to Rebuild Our Country

Chapter One: Bring My Job Home!

Chapter Two: Roll Back the Reagan Tax Cuts

Chapter Three: Stop Them From Eating My Town

Chapter Four: An Informed and Educated Electorate

Chapter Five: Medicare “Part E”- for Everybody

Chapter Six: Make Members of Congress Wear NASCAR Patches

Chapter Seven: Cool Our Fever

Chapter Eight: They Will Steal It!

Chapter Nine: Put Lou Dobbs Out to Pasture

Chapter Ten: Wal-Mart Is Not a Person

Chapter Eleven: In the Shadow of the Dragon

Conclusion: Tag, You're It!

You might have an idea though for a new book by Thom; .

Call it "Tag Youre It! A practical guide for getting involved and taking back our country."

Erik300's picture
Erik300

Erik,solutions is "problems solve". To say get money out of government is no solution,until there is way to do it.To say the people need courage and knowledge to do this, is no answer.Maybe the problem should be said a different way,"the wrong money control the government" and the solution would be much more simple,"we control our money,we can control our government"! My point is, incomplete solutions solve nothing and seeing problems in different ways can lead to bigger and better solutions.That`s a point even more for a "solutions program". "Tag You`re It" a complete solution!

tayl44's picture
tayl44

How do you get people on food stamps, which is in the process of being cut by the Republicans in Congress, to stop voting Republican? Shouldn't there be some more discussion on how to improve government accountability to the people being served, on how to improve the government's financial status, and in a sense answering some of the conservative criticisms of government in some specific ways, without a conservative guest and Thom both talking at the same time so you can barely make out what is being said? The Senate Democrats could not get "the Buffet Rule" passed, so all of the talk about changing the tax rate, tax fairness, progressive taxation, and so forth seems rather theoretical at the moment. Many believe that the rich are always and indisputably more talented than are others and are always hard working. If they want to get involved in funding political ads or other political activity, many see that as a good thing since they believe that the rich are automatically the "best and the brightest." Our economic system is inaccurately subscribed to as a completely authoritative measure of someone's worth to society. What about someone's worth to their families or to themselves, as human beings? The whole problem is that our culture through its current economic system puts a price on human life. It is difficult to see how there can be solutions under this kind of rigid, mechanistic system.

Robindell's picture
Robindell

Robin,as long as we think like the !%,we will remain under their control.Your post show a "freeing of the mind".

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Progress has been made since this thread was posted. Progressive media is our leadership,whether like it or not,there is nobody else. Good leadership need "solutions" to all the problems,otherwise the problems will destroy us.

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Nobel, Thanks! I learn a lot from this message broad,it has to be the best.

tayl44's picture
tayl44

enough?

harry ashburn

A sign of the times,post #11. We need a "SOLUTION FOR THE JOBLESS" and soon to be "HUNGRY"! Intelligent people,do you have any ideas besides waiting for the system to collapse??

tayl44's picture
tayl44
Quote Robindell:

How do you get people on food stamps, which is in the process of being cut by the Republicans in Congress, to stop voting Republican?

You let the Republicans do it.

al3's picture
al3

al3,if we let the criminals cut the food stamps to learn the hard way,we my have the mother of all revolutions and the criminals hitting the N-War botton to save themselfs.(they have bunkers) WE need to avoid hard lessons,we need to start our own system,we need co-op housing,co-op jobs and co-op banks. All progressives need to start coming together to do this,we need nobody but ourselfs to do it.

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Gyy,hang in there,i see where you coming from with the spam, We do need to be talking about "JOBS"!

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Also, Thom should revise his guest list to have on people who have some practical, real-world experience and would give examples of regulations and other policies that work. The Republicans and some, but not all, small-business owners complain about excessively bureaucratic government regulations. Thom started and ran some businesses, and so he would be well-versed in interviewing someone who has a business who might have both good things and negative things to say about regulations that business people have to follow in setting up and operating a business. Given the amount of time on the show that has been dedicated over the years to health coverage, another area that I think would be both helpful and interesting would be to find a doctor to have on occasionally to talk about new treatments for diseases that have shown promise and to talk about improved cure rates. There are problems in medicine as well, such as drug-resistant mutant strains of bacteria, such as gonorrhea, for which there is only one antibiotic that is still effective, until the germ evolves into being resistant to it, but at the same time, there are positive developments, such as a device than can be implanted into the head to stop tinnitus. The mentally ill in this country are often neglected or even abused, and all too often end up in prison when they could have been on a different track if only they received professional help. Psychiatry is not completely understood by many people, and there are some good authors and practioners who could explain some of the developments and pitfalls that exist in that area. Homelessness is hardly ever discussed on the show, even though there are plenty of references and discussion of "banksters" and mortgages. Low-income people cannot afford to buy a house in the first place. Washington, where the show is based, has several housing and homelessness advoacy groups. I'm sure there must be a few representatives of these organizations who would leap at the chance go on radio and T.V. and discuss issues in this area.

Robindell's picture
Robindell

Rob,thanks for the post,it says a lot,i`m sure Thom is doing all is possible and remain a diplomat. It would still be good to see a segment of the show devoted to solutions of issues(past/present) including solutions from the audience. Argentina has a solution to austerity,they print there own money,they don`t need to sell their soul to the private investors or criminal bankers. Imagine having a segment with economists from Argentina telling how they did it?

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Currently Chatting

Our kids are counting on us to reverse austerity.

According to UNICEF, even in the world's richest countires, children remain “the most enduring victims” of the recession. In the last six years, 2.6 million more kids have fallen below the poverty line, and more than half of them live right here in the United States.