welfare dependency

32 posts / 0 new

If you feed wild animals on a regular basis, they become dependent and can not longer take care of themselves. Is welfare any different?

Marlin60

Comments

Yes it is. People are not wild animals. People always want to have more. You will never have more if you stay on welfare.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

May not get more, but can get by and become content. Also, calling Welfare "Entilements" removed what used to be stigma.

Marlin60

More idiocy. When the cons made accepting welfare a shameful thing and made the myth of the welfare queen require lots of monitoring and suspicion, it did increase the resentment factor about the crumbs from the table. But the myth is still myth, and the mean nature of the system only made the insult and injury worse. We needed and still need to do more, not less, to help people become authentic participants in power in the economy and society. We are not feeding caged zoo animals or diverting wildlife from its natural lives. We are including "the least of these" in the human family instead of finding reasons to punish and ignore them.

What does "birthright" mean to you? If we call benefits "entitlements" are we not ending the myth that this is our extraordinary charity and being honest about our human moral and social obligations, you know, "family values" for the American family? Are we not saying "we are in this together," and "united, we stand," and some other patriotic and pride in America stuff? And, if you want to talk about teaching fishing instead of only the fish fry, we do that better than your side. We offer education and career paths, not just minium wage and austerity.

Your images are ugly. Your conclusions are uglier.

DRC's picture
DRC

Yes. I worked hard all my life for security and compassion for my fellow man. Now I'm sick with diabetes and stiff person syndrom and can't work.I lost my job 6 years ago, tnfomo.

Marlin, please stop listening to the bad guys that would have you compare me to a baby animal. I'm 58 and bush/the right screwed me, period. Your hateful war against your fellow man is no good. It's divisive and stagnating. We need to come together and stop this economic assault on the both of us.

Arrgy's picture
Arrgy

Well said..........thanks!

anti-Republicon

Martin60, for true welfare dependency, you've have to go back to the Roman Empire. Hired labor was given over to slave labor. (a sort of domestic "outsourcing" of labor) 1/3 or Rome was put on the dole. There was no other means for many of its citizens to maintain life.

Labor at its lowest cost (free), intitial profits through the roof, and the dole to forestall revolution and maintain economic functioning and social stability ultimately bankrupted the empire.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Welcome to the beginning of the replay. A few more outsourcing agreements should speed it along. A well functioning economy is nothing more than producing required goods and distributing them to those requiring them.

Monasteries do that. All who are capable of work....work. None work themselves to-death to produce/distribute what is required. "Unemployment" when enough is produced is common.. "Unemployment" is a time of celebration for a job well done rather than gloom and doom facing eviction or lack of sufficient food. Leisure time is plentiful.

A well-functioning economy wouldn't need "welfare". Have you ever considered designing an economy that works well for everyone?.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease",

polycarp2

How did Bush/The Right Screw you? How did you lose your job?

Marlin60

Marliin60 wrote: Also, calling Welfare "Entilements" removed what used to be stigma.

poly replies: Probably calling an entitlement to life a stigma indicates just how far we've fallen.

Before the vast commons were enclosed, people could simply set up a dwelling and provide for themselves with the fruit of their own labor. That's no longer so. Might I suggest reading the social/economic historian Karl Polanyi?..

The current system came about through violent coersion. The majority were given the choice to work for another or die. Not all societies have functioned in this manner.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease".,

polycarp2
Quote Marlin60:

Also, calling Welfare "Entilements" removed what used to be stigma.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Welfare, AFDC, Food Stamps, etc. are counted when people talk about "entitlements."

I think "entitlements" are supposed to mean spending that is unavoidable, i.e. everybody over 65 or whatever gets Social Security no matter what (based on their work history.)

chilidog

Chilidog, You may be correct, the new word seems to be "benefits".

Marlin60
Quote Marlin60:

If you feed wild animals on a regular basis, they become dependent and can not longer take care of themselves. Is welfare any different?

fertile feeding question you have made about the wildness of our modern life Marlin60.

Clearly you are overlooking those wild - voracious abusive cheating greedy insatiable demanding lazy carnivorous gluttonous - animal wellfare banksters. No one else gets the same WELL-FARE treatment they get.

The question then becomes - as you have asked - "If you feed wild animals on a regular basis, they become dependent and can not longer take care of themselves?" Obviously the answer is NO - the banksters can no longer take care of themselves. But what are you worried about anyway? That's what we who pay taxes are for.

media_muse

Entitlement means "you have title to", a legal concept of ownership like a deed of trust. The govt has promised citizens social security to which they are entitled.

pshakkottai's picture
pshakkottai

From above: Entitlement means "you have title to", a legal concept of ownership like a deed of trust. The govt has promised citizens social security to which they are entitled.

poly replies: Probably when citizens pay for an entitlement, they are entitlted to it. It's a simple concept. When I pay for a loaf of bread, I'm entitled to it.

I abhor my entitlement to a new tank or battleship....owned by the taxayers of whom I'm a member.. They are produced and bought with my money. That gives me an entitlement to them, but I'm not allowed to steer either.

While using a tank to go shopping across town may be the safetest vehicle on the freeway, I couldn't afford the gas anyway.

Some "entitlements" I can readily do without. Others that I payfor or have paid for are pretty beneficial.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

You haven't paid for that tank - China has. Maybe your grandchildren will someday pay for that tank. I don't think anyone's even paid for one of the tanks used by Patton.

chilidog

In my experience, when I have come across somebody that has "given up" and become dependent upon welfare or charity there is usually a sense of victimhood. I don't necessarilly blame the person. Most of my work experience has confirmed the notion that managerial theory in this country has been directed by those who seek to break the morale of the worker. Or at least that's the attitude that became prevalent. Being treated rudely, being lied to, being worked like a sled dog, not making enough to pay the bills even though you're operating in "good faith" and trying to believe that if you work hard and are honest and "play by the rules" that this will be recognized and rewarded even though the oppossite seems to be true, seeing the corruption that permeates society and the unfairness (e.g. showing up to work and losing benefits like your 401k which became worthless anyway despite having shoveled money into it like a good worker while a "phantom employee" takes home bonuses), etc., all these things lead to demoralization.

On the other hand, most of the people who are at any given time accessing the welfare system or charitable help are being "cycled through" so to speak. These are the majority of such recipients, the "working poor" who have not given up and continue to play the game, dealing with conditions that tax a human being to the utmost. They are the ones who keep showing up, docilely doing as they are told, thanking the Lord for whatever blessings they may count, and not entering the fray when people like the OP spend their days belittling them. Instead they turn the other cheek and think of their hope for a better life for their children. They pass by the subsidized housing, seeing those that were lucky enough to access a unit there, raising their children in a safe and clean environment, and they humbly hope for such an opportunity in the face of constant class-hatred spewed by the likes of the OP.

Its always sad to see a post like the OP's because I know that the troll will just sit back and watch while posters here pile on trying to add sense and reason and compassion to the debate. But to the OP, its just like spinning a top; sit back, wait, then issue another vapid ad-hominem or specious tautology. As long as the people who control the media can undermine the discourse in this way, hiring scumbags to post restaurant reviews and comments on news stories, etc., then the american public will continue to see that while they have long ago moved past the stale debate foisted on us by the corporate media, our ideas about how to found a society which recognizes others' dignity and honor and reduce dependency upon the institutions controlled by the 1% by fighting back and sticking up for our interests so that we can be self-sufficient as individuals and communities will fail to materialize. Its time to organize outside the institutions of the 1%, including the mainstream political parties such as the Libertarian Party.

nimblecivet's picture
nimblecivet

Find your local OWS activity of choice. We know the lead post on this thread is impoverished. We are not alone.

DRC's picture
DRC

Nimblecivit wrote: These are the majority of such recipients, the "working poor" who have not given up and continue to play the game, dealing with conditions that tax a human being to the utmost.

poly replies: Probably people are too concerned with tax extractions instead of the extractions from their labor.

I once knew a manager of a shirt manufacturer. Total costs for making a shirt (materials, energy, labor, etc.) were 50 cents. Each worker made 32 shirts per day. They were paid for 1/2 of them. (labor extraction).

Shirts were sold wholesale at a buck, Wholesaler sold them for $2 to a retailer. Retailer sold them for $4. The worker producing 32 shirts a day could buy 2.of them with a day's wages. An equivalent in taxes would be close to 95% of income.

Globally/nationally, labor (Main Street) can't buy what it produces. Production ultimately slows or ceases without government intervention to boost purchasing power on Main Street.

The move to lower wages to lower the cost of the product doesn't change that dynamic.Ratios remain the same.

Official taxes are nothing compared to the 95% "hidden tax" on the fruits of Americans' labor.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease..

polycarp2

According to The Budget for Fiscal Year 2008, Historical Tables, total outlays for Means Tested Entitlements in 2006 were $354.3 billion. This was 2.7% of GDP and

Includes Medicaid, food stamps, family support assistance (AFDC), supplemental security income (SSI), child nutrition programs, refundable portions of earned income tax credits (EITC and HITC) and child tax credit, welfare contingency fund, child care entitlement to States, temporary assistance to needy families, foster care and adoption assistance, State children's health insurance and veterans pensions.

(from Table 8.1, page 133)

The cost of these programs has increased from 0.8% of GDP in 1962 (before Medicaid) to 2.7% of GDP in 2006, or by 1.9% of GDP. If we exclude Medicaid, health care for children and veterans pensions it is 0.89 % of GDP, or $117 billion. (The numbers for the excluded items are found in Table 8.5, page 142). This represents approximately 7.5% of total non-Social Security receipts to the Federal Government. So, for every one of your tax dollars to the Federal Government, about 7.5 cents goes to these programs. I hate to use averages, but the average taxpayer had a tax rate of 12.45% in 2005 (the latest data available here), so if we multiply things out we see that about 0.93% of the average taxpayer's income went to non-medical "welfare". So, if you made $50,000 and paid $6,225.00 in Federal income tax, approximately $465.00 went to all of these programs x-healthcare and veterans pensions.

Next up I hope to isolate some of the health care numbers. I believe this is truly where our fiscal crisis lies and I hope to see whether I am correct. It will require working through historical budget numbers together with Social Security numbers - my head hurts already!

Letting Americans die, as the republican crowd cheered for in the debates instead of medical care, reduces cost to 117 billion. Less than 1% of gdp, less than 1/10th of the cost of DOD when emergency funding is added to the budget. The iraq adventure cost about a trillion, and that does not include the mercenary costs of blackwater since those are charged to Dept of Labor. Makes you proud doesn't it. One service man is killing him/herself every 45 minutes, but it got w elected, that's all that counts. Trillions spent, 1000s of lives, so nugent and cheney and w can bitch about their taxes.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Douglasslee wrote: The cost of these programs has increased from 0.8% of GDP in 1962 (before Medicaid) to 2.7% of GDP in 2006, or by 1.9% of GDP.

poly replies: Interesting. It's almost in a direct ratio to the decline in real wages (purchasing power) since 1962. When wage income isn't high enough to buy food after paying the rent...Food Stamps kick in, don't they?

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease".

polycarp2

Welfare became necessary in the first place when a central bank decided that they could create depressions whenever and however by calling in load and contracting the money-supply how they like without any Congressional input since the FED's creation in 1913.

"A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men."
-Woodrow Wilson, (1856-1924) 28th US President, passed the Federal Reserve Act

"If all the bank loans were paid up, no one would have a bank deposit, and there would not be a dollar of currency or coin in circulation. This is a staggering thought. We are completely dependent on the commercial Banks. Someone has to borrow every dollar we have in circulation, cash or credit. If the Banks create ample synthetic money we are prosperous; if not, we starve. We are absolutely without a permanent money system. When one gets a complete grasp of the picture, the tragic absurdity of our hopeless position is almost incredible, but there it is. It is the most important subject intelligent persons can investigate and reflect upon. It is so important that our present civilization may collapse unless it becomes widely understood and the defects remedied very soon."
-Robert Hemphill, Credit Manager of Federal Reserve Bank, Atlanta, Ga.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."
-Henry Ford

"100% of what is collected is absorbed solely by interest on the Federal Debt ... all individual income tax revenues are gone before one nickel is spent on the services taxpayers expect from government."
-Grace Commission (report submitted to President Ronald Reagan on January 15, 1984)

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. ... This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists' antagonism toward the gold standard."
-Alan Greenspan, Chairman, US Federal Reserve Bank

"In the United States today we have in effect two governments ... We have the duly constituted Government ... Then we have an independent, uncontrolled and uncoordinated government in the Federal Reserve System, operating the money powers which are reserved to Congress by the Constitution."
-Congressman Wright Patman

"We have, in this country, one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. I refer to the Federal Reserve Board. This evil institution has impoverished the people of the United States and has practically bankrupted our government. It has done this through the corrupt practices of the moneyed vultures who control it."
- Congressman Louis T. McFadden in 1932 (Rep. Pa)

"Every effort has been made by the Fed to conceal its power but the truth is, the Fed has usurped the government. It controls everything here and it controls all our foreign relations. It makes and breaks governments at will."
- Congressman Louis T. McFadden

"What is needed here is a return to the Constitution of the United States. We need to have a complete divorce of Bank and State. The old struggle that was fought out here in Jackson's day must be fought over again... The Federal Reserve Act should be repealed and the Federal Reserve Banks, having violated their charters, should be liquidated immediately. Faithless Government officers who have violated their oaths of office should be impeached and brought to trial. Unless this is done by us, I predict that the American people, outraged, robbed, pillaged, insulted, and betrayed as they are in their own land, will rise in their wrath and send a President here who will sweep the money changers out of the temple."
-Louis T. McFadden, (1876-1936) US Congressman (R-PA) (1915-1935)

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a moneyed aristocracy that has set the Government at defiance. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson, (1743-1826), US Founding Father, drafted the Declaration of Independence, 3rd US President

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them, will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
-Thomas Jefferson

"History records that the money-changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent plans possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money, and its issuance."
- James Madison

"The bold effort the present (central) bank had made to control the government ... are but premonitions of the fate that await the American people should they be deluded into a perpetuation of this institution or the establishment of another like it."
-Andrew Jackson, (1767-1845) 7th US President

"Whoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce."
-James A. Garfield, President of the United States

"Our whole monetary system is dishonest, as it is debt-based... We did not vote for it. It grew upon us gradually but markedly since 1971 when the commodity-based system was abandoned."
-The Earl of Caithness, in a speech to the House of Lords, 1997

"The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astonishing piece of slight of hand ever invented. Banking was conceived in iniquity and born in sin.....Bankers own the Earth. Take it away from them but leave them the power to create money, and, with the flick of a pen, they will create enough money to buy it back again.....Take this great power away from them and all great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for then this would be a better and happier world to live in.....But, if you want to continue to be the slave of the bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the bankers continue to create money and control credit."
-Sir Josiah Stamp, Director of the Bank of England

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws."
-Mayer Amschel Rothschild

antikakistocrat's picture
antikakistocrat

41 Facts About The History Of Central Banks In The United States That Our Children Are No Longer Taught In School

The American Dream
Nov 12, 2010
Today, most American students don’t even understand what a central bank is, much less that the battle over central banks is one of the most important themes in U.S. history. The truth is that our nation was birthed in the midst of a conflict over taxation and the control of our money. Central banking has played a key role in nearly all of the wars that America has fought. Presidents that resisted the central bankers were shot, while others shamefully caved in to their demands. Our current central bank is called the Federal Reserve and it is about as “federal” as Federal Express is. The truth is that it is a privately-owned financial institution that is designed to ensnare the U.S. government in an endlessly expanding spiral of debt from which there is no escape. The Federal Reserve caused the Great Depression and the Federal Reserve is at the core of our current economic crisis. None of these things is taught to students in America’s schools today.
In 2010, young Americans are taught a sanitized version of American history that doesn’t even make any sense. As with so many things, if you want to know what really happened just follow the money.
The following are 41 facts about the history of central banks in the United States that every American should know….
#1 As a result of the Seven Years War with France, King George III of England was deeply in debt to the central bankers of England.
#2 In an attempt to raise revenue, King George tried to heavily tax the colonies in America.
#3 In 1763, Benjamin Franklin was asked by the Bank of England why the colonies were so prosperous, and this was his response….

“That is simple. In the colonies we issue our own money. It is called Colonial Script. We issue it in proper proportion to the demands of trade and industry to make the products pass easily from the producers to the consumers.
In this manner, creating for ourselves our own paper money, we control its purchasing power, and we have no interest to pay to no one.”

#4 The Currency Act of 1764 ordered the American Colonists to stop printing their own money. Colonial script (the money the colonists were using at the time) was to be exchanged at a two-to-one ratio for “notes” from the Bank of England.
#5 Later, in his autobiography, Benjamin Franklin explained the impact that this currency change had on the colonies….

“In one year, the conditions were so reversed that the era of prosperity ended, and a depression set in, to such an extent that the streets of the Colonies were filled with unemployed.”

#6 In fact, Benjamin Franklin stated unequivocally in his autobiography that the power to issue currency was the primary reason for the Revolutionary War….

“The colonies would gladly have borne the little tax on tea and other matters had it not been that England took away from the colonies their money, which created unemployment and dissatisfaction. The inability of the colonists to get power to issue their own money permanently out of the hands of George III and the international bankers was the prime reason for the Revolutionary War.”

#7 Gouverneur Morris, one of the authors of the U.S. Constitution, solemnly warned us in 1787 that we must not allow the bankers to enslave us….

“The rich will strive to establish their dominion and enslave the rest. They always did. They always will… They will have the same effect here as elsewhere, if we do not, by (the power of) government, keep them in their proper spheres.”

#8 Unfortunately, those warning us about the dangers of a central bank did not prevail. After an aborted attempt to establish a central bank in the 1780s, the First Bank of the United States was established in 1791. Alexander Hamilton (who had close ties to the Rothschild banking family) cut a deal under which he would support the move of the nation’s capital to Washington D.C. in exchange for southern support for the establishment of a central bank.
#9 George Washington signed the bill creating the First Bank of the United States on April 25, 1791. It was given a 20 year charter.
#10 In the first five years of the First Bank of the United States, the U.S. government borrowed 8.2 million dollars and prices rose by 72 percent.
#11 The opponents of central banking were not pleased. In 1798, Thomas Jefferson said the following….

“I wish it were possible to obtain a single amendment to our Constitution – taking from the federal government their power of borrowing.”

#12 In 1811, the charter of the First Bank of the United States was not renewed.
#13 One year later, the War of 1812 erupted. The British and the Americans were at war once again.
#14 In 1814, the British captured and burned Washington D.C., but the Americans subsequently experienced key victories at New York and at New Orleans.
#15 The Treaty of Ghent, officially ending the war, was ratified by the U.S. Senate on February 16th, 1815 and was ratified by the British on February 18th, 1815.
#16 In 1816, another central bank was created. The Second Bank of the United States was established and was given a 20 year charter.
#17 Andrew Jackson, who became president in 1828, was determined to end the power of the central bankers over the United States.
#18 In fact, in 1832, Andrew Jackson’s re-election slogan was “JACKSON and NO BANK!”
#19 On July 10th, 1832 President Jackson said the following about the danger of a central bank….

“It is not our own citizens only who are to receive the bounty of our government. More than eight millions of the stock of this bank are held by foreigners… is there no danger to our liberty and independence in a bank that in its nature has so little to bind it to our country? … Controlling our currency, receiving our public moneys, and holding thousands of our citizens in dependence… would be more formidable and dangerous than a military power of the enemy.”

#20 In 1835, President Jackson completely paid off the U.S. national debt. He is the only U.S. president that has ever been able to accomplish this.
#21 President Jackson vetoed the attempt to renew the charter of the Second Bank of the United States in 1836.
#22 Richard Lawrence attempted to shoot Andrew Jackson, but he survived. It is alleged that Lawrence said that “wealthy people in Europe” had put him up to it.
#23 The Civil War was another opportunity for the central bankers of Europe to get their hooks into America. In fact, it is claimed that Abraham Lincoln actually contacted Rothschild banking interests in Europe in an attempt to finance the war effort. Reportedly, the Rothschilds were demanding very high interest rates and Lincoln balked at paying them.
#24 Instead, Lincoln pushed through the Legal Tender Act of 1862. Under that act, the U.S. government issued $449,338,902 of debt-free money.
#25 This debt-free money was known as “Greenbacks” because of the green ink that was used.
#26 The central bankers of Europe were not pleased. The following quote appeared in the London Times in 1865….

“If this mischievous financial policy, which has its origin in North America, shall become endurated down to a fixture, then that Government will furnish its own money without cost. It will pay off debts and be without debt. It will have all the money necessary to carry on its commerce. It will become prosperous without precedent in the history of the world. The brains, and wealth of all countries will go to North America. That country must be destroyed or it will destroy every monarchy on the globe.”

#27 Abraham Lincoln was shot dead by John Wilkes Booth on April 14th, 1865.
#28 After the Civil War, all money in the United States was created by bankers buying U.S. government bonds in exchange for bank notes.
#29 James A. Garfield became president in 1881, and he was a staunch opponent of the banking powers. In 1881 he said the following….

“Whoever controls the volume of money in our country is absolute master of all industry and commerce…and when you realize that the entire system is very easily controlled, one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you will not have to be told how periods of inflation and depression originate.”

#30 President Garfield was shot about two weeks later by Charles J. Guiteau on July 2nd, 1881. He died from medical complications on September 19th, 1881.
#31 In 1906, the U.S. stock market was setting all kinds of records. However, in March 1907 the U.S. stock market absolutely crashed. It is alleged that elite New York bankers were responsible.
#32 In addition, in 1907 J.P. Morgan circulated rumors that a major New York bank had gone bankrupt. This caused a massive run on the banks. In turn, the banks started recalling all of their loans. The panic of 1907 resulted in a congressional investigation that ended up concluding that a central bank was “necessary” so that these kinds of panics would never happen again.
#33 It took a few years, but the international bankers finally got their central bank in 1913.
#34 Congress voted on the Federal Reserve Act on December 22nd, 1913 between the hours of 1:30 AM and 4:30 AM.
#35 A significant portion of Congress was either sleeping at the time or was already at home with their families celebrating the holidays.
#36 The president that signed the law that created the Federal Reserve, Woodrow Wilson, later sounded like he very much regretted the decision when he wrote the following….

“A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men … [W]e have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated, governments in the civilized world–no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and the duress of small groups of dominant men.”

#37 Between 1921 and 1929 the Federal Reserve increased the U.S. money supply by 62 percent. This was the time known as “The Roaring 20s”.
#38 In addition, highly leveraged “margin loans” became very common during this time period.
#39 In October 1929, the New York bankers started calling in these margin loans on a massive scale. This created the initial crash that launched the Great Depression.
#40 Rather than expand the money supply in response to this crisis, the Federal Reserve really tightened it up.
#41 In fact, it was reported the the U.S. money supply contracted by eight billion dollars between 1929 and 1933. That was an extraordinary amount of money in those days. Over one-third of all U.S. banks went bankrupt. The New York bankers were able to buy up other banks and all kinds of other assets for pennies on the dollar.
But are American students being taught any of this today?
Of course not.
In fact, it is a rare student that can even adequately explain what a central bank is.
We have lost so much of what is important about our history.
And you know what they say – those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
It is absolutely critical that we educate as many Americans as possible about what is really going on in our financial system and about why we need to make some truly fundamental changes.

antikakistocrat
Quote antikakistocrat:

Welfare became necessary in the first place when a central bank decided that they could create depressions whenever and however by calling in load and contracting the money-supply how they like without any Congressional input since the FED's creation in 1913.

"A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men."
-Woodrow Wilson, (1856-1924) 28th US President, passed the Federal Reserve Act

"If all the bank loans were paid up, no one would have a bank deposit, and there would not be a dollar of currency or coin in circulation. This is a staggering thought. We are completely dependent on the commercial Banks. Someone has to borrow every dollar we have in circulation, cash or credit. If the Banks create ample synthetic money we are prosperous; if not, we starve. We are absolutely without a permanent money system. When one gets a complete grasp of the picture, the tragic absurdity of our hopeless position is almost incredible, but there it is. It is the most important subject intelligent persons can investigate and reflect upon. It is so important that our present civilization may collapse unless it becomes widely understood and the defects remedied very soon."
-Robert Hemphill, Credit Manager of Federal Reserve Bank, Atlanta, Ga.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."
-Henry Ford

"100% of what is collected is absorbed solely by interest on the Federal Debt ... all individual income tax revenues are gone before one nickel is spent on the services taxpayers expect from government."
-Grace Commission (report submitted to President Ronald Reagan on January 15, 1984)

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. ... This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists' antagonism toward the gold standard."
-Alan Greenspan, Chairman, US Federal Reserve Bank

"In the United States today we have in effect two governments ... We have the duly constituted Government ... Then we have an independent, uncontrolled and uncoordinated government in the Federal Reserve System, operating the money powers which are reserved to Congress by the Constitution."
-Congressman Wright Patman

"We have, in this country, one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. I refer to the Federal Reserve Board. This evil institution has impoverished the people of the United States and has practically bankrupted our government. It has done this through the corrupt practices of the moneyed vultures who control it."
- Congressman Louis T. McFadden in 1932 (Rep. Pa)

"Every effort has been made by the Fed to conceal its power but the truth is, the Fed has usurped the government. It controls everything here and it controls all our foreign relations. It makes and breaks governments at will."
- Congressman Louis T. McFadden

"What is needed here is a return to the Constitution of the United States. We need to have a complete divorce of Bank and State. The old struggle that was fought out here in Jackson's day must be fought over again... The Federal Reserve Act should be repealed and the Federal Reserve Banks, having violated their charters, should be liquidated immediately. Faithless Government officers who have violated their oaths of office should be impeached and brought to trial. Unless this is done by us, I predict that the American people, outraged, robbed, pillaged, insulted, and betrayed as they are in their own land, will rise in their wrath and send a President here who will sweep the money changers out of the temple."
-Louis T. McFadden, (1876-1936) US Congressman (R-PA) (1915-1935)

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a moneyed aristocracy that has set the Government at defiance. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson, (1743-1826), US Founding Father, drafted the Declaration of Independence, 3rd US President

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them, will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
-Thomas Jefferson

"History records that the money-changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent plans possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money, and its issuance."
- James Madison

"The bold effort the present (central) bank had made to control the government ... are but premonitions of the fate that await the American people should they be deluded into a perpetuation of this institution or the establishment of another like it."
-Andrew Jackson, (1767-1845) 7th US President

"Whoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce."
-James A. Garfield, President of the United States

"Our whole monetary system is dishonest, as it is debt-based... We did not vote for it. It grew upon us gradually but markedly since 1971 when the commodity-based system was abandoned."
-The Earl of Caithness, in a speech to the House of Lords, 1997

"The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astonishing piece of slight of hand ever invented. Banking was conceived in iniquity and born in sin.....Bankers own the Earth. Take it away from them but leave them the power to create money, and, with the flick of a pen, they will create enough money to buy it back again.....Take this great power away from them and all great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for then this would be a better and happier world to live in.....But, if you want to continue to be the slave of the bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the bankers continue to create money and control credit."
-Sir Josiah Stamp, Director of the Bank of England

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws."
-Mayer Amschel Rothschild

poly replies: In vain do you publish the information that banksters create and control the nation's money supply or that the U.S. governments before and after our revolution simply created money debt free and spent it into existence rather than borrowing it into existence.

I've been pointing out the follies of our monetary system for years. I think people give it a quick blink and nod off as being too absurd to be so....yet as your quotes above show....it is so.

If the banksters aren't stopped, they'll drive the world into another very deep Global Depression where they'll end up owning everything worth owning. .They've made a good start, haven't they?

We'll all end up "dependent on welfare" that will no longer exist.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease".

polycarp2

When we ship jobs overseas to exploited people and their environment we incur the added expense of paying people not to starve to death here in America. The notion of cheap imports is an illusion.

Why are we taxpayers stuck with that bill? Shouldn’t we tax imports to pay for the damages that they cause? Once again, why are we taxpayers stuck with the bill?

Dano45's picture
Dano45
Quote Marlin60:

Seems that most of the wild animals are in the most conservative red states to me...

http://scatter.wordpress.com/2009/02/16/red-state-blue-state-welfare-state-subsidizing-state/

Dominic C

Hey jackasses. YOU benefit from Welfare even if you don't receive a check. We are social beings. Wake up to reality. What do you think would happen if you elminated Welfare tomorrow? You think all those people - single mothers/fathers, children, etc. would just disappear, lay down, and die? You think the job market with nearly double digit unemployment would simply welcome them with open arms? What the hell do you think would happen if you just shove millions of hungry people out on the streets? How long do you think it would take them to reach your front door? Wake up. Put them in prison if they try you say? Now you are paying for their home, their food, their medical, AND security to watch over them 24/7. Really smart.

Next dumb question please.

ah2
Quote ah2:

Hey jackasses. YOU benefit from Welfare even if you don't receive a check. We are social beings. Wake up to reality. What do you think would happen if you elminated Welfare tomorrow? You think all those people - single mothers/fathers, children, etc. would just disappear, lay down, and die? You think the job market with nearly double digit unemployment would simply welcome them with open arms? What the hell do you think would happen if you just shove millions of hungry people out on the streets? How long do you think it would take them to reach your front door? Wake up. Put them in prison if they try you say? Now you are paying for their home, their food, their medical, AND security to watch over them 24/7. Really smart.

Almost every post by this guy is a trolling one. He seems to be a new one that has crawled out of his cave.

Dominic C

ah2 wrote:

No ah2 has studied history which is why welfare was created in the first place.

Animals don't create banks that arbitrarily contract money supplies thereby leaving other animals to starve. Humans do.

People now need foodstamps now so they can feed themselves cuz there are just no good paying jobs out there. People are out of work cuz of these banks, not cuz they are lazy which is usually the right-wing mantra. If anything the same right-winger who complain about subsidized welfare are usually subsidized by some conservative think tank themselves. You think Limbaugh & Hannity get their $400, & $200 million a year based on their talents while people like Alex Jones get the highest internet ratings ? Neo-con subsidies could feed tens of thousands alone.

Remember you are only 7 meals away from a revolution. The Globalists know this which is why Obama has been so generous with the foodstamp program in his term.

On average an American has to fill out between 800-1200 applications before getting part time employment.

Don't call anyone who points out the fallicies of the FED and our economy a troll too many people are suffering right now as a result of the FED's policies and practices.

antikakistocrat

I think he was referring to Marlin60 but thanks for rescuing me =D

ah2

There's more to it than "fractional reserve banking." The accumulation of property and power has to be examined because capital will always accumulate wealth. Capital sets the prices above the capacity of demand to pay; that's how it makes a profit. Fractional reserve banking only makes it possible to perpetuate the cycle of boom and bust more smoothly. So does the welfare state.

During the Lincoln administration, western territories were divvied up between public and private ownership resulting in a "checkerboard" pattern remnants of which can still be found on the map today. Public lands could be homesteaded, but the timber barons bought out people's claims to expand their holdings. This prompted Teddy Roosevelt to create the National Forest System. The promise of the frontier is the reason that US revolutionaries did not see the need for land reform, a major aspect of "the revolution" everywhere else- back in Europe and in this hemisphere.

The welfare state may have been a political compromise at the time it was instituted, but the fact that it is being dismantled now shows that it has long been subverted by the capitalist political agenda. As soon as social programs had to be defended as a moral imperative of a society which embraced a completely amoral pursuit of profit they were doomed. If welfare is irrelevant and anachronistic, it is because it is not a solution for the masses who have been divided and pitted against each other at home when a person with a job is told to hate and despise those without and internationally when a person's job can be exported if the worker demands to much.

Capitalism is the most wasteful political system possible. It limits the production of wealth in order to create artificial scarcity and pit workers against each other in competition for goods. Those who defend capitalism point to the '90s as proof. But they cite the prevalence of cheap goods within the US while in the same breath speaking of the "global economy." If they were consistent, they would note that "free trade" has resulted in the loss of property of people across the world as agribusiness puts small farmers out of business. The conditions of workers in most parts of the world are actually worse now than at any time in modern history.

nimblecivet's picture
nimblecivet

A reference about "birthright" for the finance party of Canada which I find very interesting.

http://www.financialparty.ca/theParty.htm

pshakkottai's picture
pshakkottai

I don't know how much of that website you read, but unfortunately here in the US (where you're at?) if you mention work requirements people on the left automatically assume its a right-wing idea designed to scuttle entitlement programs. Here in SF they have a good program, but it only lasts five years. There are many people who truly enjoy the work given through the General Assistance program cleaning the streets and working in the shelter kitchens. Many are older workers who cannot perfrom at the level they used to but still take pride in work and would feel lost without a role to make a contribution. Once a person looses their benefits, they are often shucked into the mental health system, which I see as a way of taking away their natural rights and is designed to create a category of "expendable" people who will be the first to see the inside of FEMA camp or some such facility. OK probably that's hyperbolic, but then again maybe not. Why do liberals keep clamoring for mental hospitals to be reinstituted?

Maybe I came down on Marlin too hard, so if so I apologize, but I'm sensitive to the term "animal" because of a story I read about testimony from undercover agents who explained that police brass commonly referred to americans of african descent as animals. The report detailed the disparity in treatement that whites received in comparison to blacks when it came to serving warrants for illegal gun ownership. And of course because of disparities resulting from social networking, the "african" american community has less jobs and is an easy target for divide and conquer tactics which are all too easilly inculcated in the physically laboring sector.

I just hate being manipulated and its corporations not the government that creates death camps in america. Pretty soon entire cities will be death camps once the water is privatized. http://www.naturalnews.com/035603_water_monopoly_privatization.html

nimblecivet's picture
nimblecivet

Currently Chatting

The GOP war on workers has killed again...

It’s time to stop the conservative's war on working people in America.

Since the birth of our nation, conservatives have always been wary of average working-class Americans having too much political or economic power. John Adams, the second President of the United States and a Federalist (precursor to today’s Republicans), was very wary of the working class, which he referred to as “the rabble.”