Who is John Galt?

32 posts / 0 new

Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged seems to have predicted the times we are living. The policies of our current govenment mirror those in this work of fiction. The government is corrupt and in it's attempt to level the playing field and make things equal by attacking the rich and large corporations the nation is being destroyed. Why work hard and become successful, just to become the target of political attacks. Why take risks just to have the profits taken for the greater good. Remove the profit motive, which has created the high standard of living in the USA (our poor live better than most of the world) and replace it with equal results without concern for effort and what do you get? Looters taking from producers until nothing is left. The desire to work is removed because the benefit is removed.

Marlin60

Comments

Hahahaha!

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Is that the best you can do?

Marlin60
Quote Marlin60:

Why take risks just to have the profits taken for the greater good.

Indeed.

chilidog

Ayn Rand was a flaming psychopath. Take a look at your hero and her bottom line.

Enough said!

Karolina's picture
Karolina

I think a lot of people on this site need to read Aesop's fables, specifically the Ant and the Grasshopper.

Growingtrees's picture
Growingtrees
Quote Growingtrees: I think a lot of people on this site need to read Aesop's fables, specifically the Ant and the Grasshopper.

Exactly—it speaks of the ants, who live in a society all working for the common good, thriving and prospering while including everyone in their workforce.

And then there is the libertarian, objectivist grasshopper who lives for himself and eventually dies.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

First off, Target, Walmart, and most of the nation's most succesful companies all started when the top tax rate was over 70%. If your premise were true, then how could Walmart have ever expected to become succesful with the knowledge that they'd pay 70% in taxes?

Second, if the very wealthy don't want to be the target of political attacks, then maybe they ought not get intothe political arena. The Koch Bros bankrolled and founded most of the extremist right wing movement since the John Birch Society. Don't want nothin', don't start nothin'. If they want to spend millions to convince people of their views, except that people who disagree have a right to free speech too.

Lastly, I have yet to meet a CEO who produces very much. They somehow manage to attend sales seminars and corporate retreats, with most of the senior staff and goods and services continue to get produced. If all the actual producers call in sick, go on strike, or not work for any reason, goods and services aren't produced.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76
Quote Phaedrus76:

First off, Target, Walmart, and most of the nation's most succesful companies all started when the top tax rate was over 70%. If your premise were true, then how could Walmart have ever expected to become succesful with the knowledge that they'd pay 70% in taxes?

The purpose of taxation has been changed. At one time taxation was used to fund the government. Now due to government gluttony and excess the government is no longer fundable. The numbers don't add up. It cannot be done. So now we look at at tax code as a way to take money from those who earned it and give it to those who did not. A way to get even. People see that other people have more money than them and they don't like it. They demand that the that money be siezed. Jealousy I think. Without significant spending cuts, It's all money down the toilet.

rigel1's picture
rigel1
Quote rigel1:
Quote Phaedrus76:

The purpose of taxation has been changed. At one time taxation was used to fund the government. Now due to government gluttony and excess the government is no longer fundable. The numbers don't add up. It cannot be done. So now we look at at tax code as a way to take money from those who earned it and give it to those who did not. A way to get even. People see that other people have more money than them and they don't like it. They demand that the that money be siezed. Jealousy I think. Without significant spending cuts, It's all money down the toilet.

Taxation doesn't fund the government. The government spent that money into existence first. The tax system is a way of keeping a better balance among the have's and have nots. That's all it is. We are 16 trillion dollars in debt. That means the government has infused a huge amount of money into the country. If right now we were only 2 trillion dollars in debt we would all be much worse off because of it. That would mean that the government was infusing much less money into our economy and our economy would be much worse off.

Higher taxes on the rich is a way of keeping the top 1 percent from having total control of the economy. That's the problem we have now. They need to start taxing the hell out of them in order to return some balance to the country.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

I generally steer clear of these "discussions" but this morning I have an undeniable urge to amuse myself. Here goes:

I've discovered one cannot have a humane discussion with people involved in a cult. Cults focus on one aspect of the whole human mind and glorify that above all else. That focus puts the cultist at war with him or herself internally, and they will fight to the death any efforts to mitigate the excitement of that internal war, perhaps because that has become the most exciting event in their lives, or perhaps because in most cases that war is their slim grasp on winning their sanity in what appears to them to be an insane world. Ayn Rand's ideas are cult ideas. Her primary laudatory aspect of reverence is the rational factor, what some see as the "masculine" left brain factor of mind, and the rational mind as such is a singularly focused objectifying process.

The Orwellianness of this kind of thinking is that, without the rest of our humanity, it reduces human beings into little more than rational machines, meanwhile the "machines" believe through this rational process that they are made free. However it's essentially a self denying, lying machine that does that. To believe is not itself rational, never can be, which creates the need to repress and deny what is actually taking place in the mind -- to endlessly rationalize it. An actual machine does not act on its own to believe, it can only be programmed to act as if it does. But in that case it's just a program, while belief itself is a very complicated human existential act of choice. One need only examine and question one's own belief in anything to uncover that. Doing so will raise all sorts of uncomfortable emotional issues. Machines don't have that problem. All your computer will do when faced with some sort of rational contradiction in its programming is go into some sort of logical loop and freeze up. All you need do to fix it most of the time is reboot it. Worse comes to worse, install new hardware and reinstall the operating system.

Humans can't do that to themselves.

Rational is only an explanation of something, not the thing itself. Love is far more than something rational, yet for Ayn Rand love is something that can be objectified, and thus measured so as to be considered deserved or not deserved (see her interview in Karolina's linked video and hear it in her own words). How simple-minded can one be? That's the key to seeing her peculiar form of functional anti-human insanity. Why would anyone find that appealing?

You'll find nothing in Ayn Rand's novels about the complicated human process of mothering and fathering children (nor much of anything else that's complex or complicatedly human that those of us who enjoy good literature look for from a literate writer). Maybe it's a good thing for the world she never had children. It's a part of our humanity she completely ignores. After all, how could she ever justify raising something that could never be objectively hers in the end? Ayn Rand lived out her last years without her little band of cultists. She died a lonely, pitiable person. Yet in another Orwellian twist, this pitiful lonely person is now the mythical figurehead of the "lollipop guild":

who are the lollipop guild and how is it that she is their leader?

I would suggest the Guild is largely made up of socio-economically challenged and displaced individuals, mostly men who have "toed the company line" and believed in the mythos of America; men looking for scapegoats to assuage their contemporary marginality. The Guild are those who, noting the demographic shift underway in America as it becomes a majority minority society with women now comprising the greatest percentage of college graduates, are sensing a real loss of "power" and are subsequently blaming others for their problems. A confusing time in a world some no longer understand.

To put another way:

Ozzie is undereducated and unemployed, Harriet's bringing home the bacon. Gays are out of the closest, Blacks refuse the back of the bus, and Spanish is the nation's de facto "second" language.

To draw from a more recent, 70's sitcom; we are witnessing the death throes of Archie Bunker.

The "Lollipop Guild" then, like in the movie, is a group of scared and impressionable disciples of a mythical character. Unlike in the move, this character seeks not to deliver Dorothy to a kind and benevolent "wizard," rather this character seeks to broaden class distinction paradoxically by leading them in the belief that they can be whomever they desire essentially just by wishing it so or by identifying "the obstacle(s)" impeding their progress (never mind such impediments are often of their own making) . . . with Ayn Rand as their "objectivist" leader marching them into a manifest dystopia.

Rand's affect upon the lollipop guild can be found in the United States of Oz.

Has the Ayn Rand "Cult" Brainwashed the Tea Party?

They don't think so.

.ren's picture
.ren

You have yet to meet a CEO who produces very much? I have! Many are people who worked their way up in business or started a business. There is a thing called hard work! Taking shit jobs and doing them well as a way to advance. Yes, there are some who got their to the top due to family connections, like every Kennedy ever in office. The job of a CEO and senior management is to run the company not run a machine on the job floor. You also need to look beyond taxes and look to regulation. Over regulation and goverment planning and control can destroy the ability to create and or grow a business.

Marlin60

You piece of garbage, I doubt that you have done ANY hard work EVER— while most of the progressives and liberals writing on this blog have gotten their education and started out in crap jobs like everybody else. Read Ren's post #11 to learn about the difference between you and the people who are real human beings, who use their entire humanity.

Do you really think that you have anything to teach anyone here? You need to sit down and shut-up, and if you want to read and learn here—BE that student.

Okay, I'm done here. These people are too annoying for me and are a waste of time and energy. Like vermin. I admire those of you who have the patience for them!

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Wow, you are one angry person! You resort to name calling and insults, what a great mind you must have. I don't think you can learn anything based upon your last post, but others may be able to. What have you done? I have worked doing metal finishing with nasty chemicals, cleaned cars, construction, worked at a school for kids with severe emotional and behavioral problems, subsitute teacher and worked my way up in the finacial services industry from on the phone in a call center to now in senior management with a "Chief" in my title. I volunteer in my home town, I sit on many comissions and the board of education. I support my family on one income so my wife can stay home a raise our children. I give also give to charities. Again, what do you do and what work have you done to support your I'm better than you attitude?

Marlin60
Quote Marlin60:

... I have worked doing metal finishing with nasty chemicals, cleaned cars, construction, worked at a school for kids with severe emotional and behavioral problems, subsitute teacher and worked my way up in the finacial services industry from on the phone in a call center to now in senior management with a "Chief" in my title. I volunteer in my home town, I sit on many comissions and the board of education. I support my family on one income so my wife can stay home a raise our children. I give also give to charities. Again, what do you do and what work have you done to support your I'm better than you attitude?

Yeah, but can you do this? &+++!!!Ëë~~~~Boing boing boing!

Zenzoe

No!

Marlin60

You are the one who started out this thread with one patronizing post, and continued throughout.

I'm just giving it back to you, sweetheart.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

I notice you did not answer my questions What do you do and what have you done? My guess is not much other than resent and attack those who are more successful than you.

Marlin60

You are guessing wrong.

I put myself through college, got a MS in Fine Art, moved to NYC, got an apartment in Manhattan, worked as a graphic designer and art director for the big Wall Street firms in the 80's and into the 90's, saw that they were turning into a horror story, decided to go into children's educational publishing to do something that would be beneficial to our world, instead of prostituting my talent and my work to bona fide hoodlums (thank you Ayn Rand), designed books for publishing houses grades K-12, and after a few years saw a what a horror story education was turning into.

You are right — I am angry. The people that you worship have turned my country into one great big horror story, and I want the nobility, dignity, and beauty of my country back. The people who worship the people that you worship, want my country to keep going in the direction that it has been going since Kennedy was killed. I am VERY ANGRY.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Don't Feed the Trolls!

They sell out their own families health for a non living corporations profits. What could they possibly have to say worth hearing?

Arguing with a teabog denialist is like arguing with a teabag in a cup.

Dylan should have been looking for fascists instead....

The solution is simple. Eat the rich.

Sen. Joseph McCarthy: Unrepentant Junkie
When known facts didn't fit his ideology, Anslinger ignored them or manufactured his own. But, his curious tale about a hardened morphine addict in the U.S. Congress has been confirmed by agents who worked under Anslinger, and the co-author of "The Murderers." In his book, Anslinger details a confrontation with an unnamed congressman, after learning the congressman was a regular morphine user. It clearly wasn't just any congressman. "He headed one of the most powerful committees of Congress. His decisions and statements helped to shape and direct the destiny of the United States and the free world," wrote Anslinger, like McCarthy, a dedicated anti-communist. Anslinger reports relenting and offering the elected official all the drugs he needed, so long as the politician didn't go to the street, thereby risking a greater scandal. Anslinger "thanked God for relieving me of my burden," when the lawmaker died. After Anslinger's own death, researchers interviewed Anslinger's associates and pinpointed McCarthy as the likely identity of the unnamed politician.

Bush's Faustian Deal With the Taliban
Published May 22, 2001 in the Los Angeles Times
Enslave your girls and women, harbor anti-U.S. terrorists, destroy every vestige of civilization in your homeland, and the Bush administration will embrace you. All that matters is that you line up as an ally in the drug war, the only international cause that this nation still takes seriously. That's the message sent with the recent gift of $43 million to the Taliban rulers of Afghanistan, the most virulent anti-American violators of human rights in the world today. The gift, announced last Thursday by Secretary of State Colin Powell, in addition to other recent aid, makes the U.S. the main sponsor of the Taliban and rewards that "rogue regime" for declaring that opium growing is against the will of God. So, too, by the Taliban's estimation, are most human activities, but it's the ban on drugs that catches this administration's attention.

Now I wonder what Osama did with the $43M 4 months before 911? Hummmm

Pro Life? Not even anti abortionists...

Cheney's Fracking

Well, I was feelin’ sad and feelin’ blue
I didn’t know what in the world I wus gonna do
Them Communists they wus comin’ around
They wus in the air
They wus on the ground
They wouldn’t gimme no peace . . .

Neocon Teabogs Really Are "Bloodlusting Terrorists

Are the Teabogs Traitors, Serving a Southern Neoconfederacy?

So I run down most hurriedly
And joined up with the John Birch Society
I got me a secret membership card
And started off a-walkin’ down the road
Yee-hoo, I’m a real John Bircher now!
Look out you Commies!

Victims of Teabog rhetoric?

Constitutional GOPerversions & Their Pathetic Apologists

Now we all agree with Hitler’s views
Although he killed six million Jews
It don’t matter too much that he was a Fascist
At least you can’t say he was a Communist!
That’s to say like if you got a cold you take a shot of malaria

Pure evil

The Authoritarians

Well, I wus lookin’ everywhere for them gol-darned Reds
I got up in the mornin’ ’n’ looked under my bed
Looked in the sink, behind the door
Looked in the glove compartment of my car
Couldn’t find ’em . . .

Bush Crimes Against Humanity

Bush Family History with Nazism

I wus lookin’ high an’ low for them Reds everywhere
I wus lookin’ in the sink an’ underneath the chair
I looked way up my chimney hole
I even looked deep down inside my toilet bowl
They got away . . .

Bush/CIA/DEA Drug Smuggling

THE BUSH-CHENEY DRUG EMPIRE

Well, I wus sittin’ home alone an’ started to sweat
Figured they wus in my T.V. set
Peeked behind the picture frame
Got a shock from my feet, hittin’ right up in the brain
Them Reds caused it!
I know they did . . . them hard-core ones

Busht Hypocrisy & Double Standards

Poverty? Dubya Says Blame the Hippies!

Well, I quit my job so I could work all alone
Then I changed my name to Sherlock Holmes
Followed some clues from my detective bag
And discovered they wus red stripes on the American flag!
That ol’ Betsy Ross . . .

Busht: Timeline of Treason

Bushladen and the Terrorists Carlyles Groups

Well, I investigated all the books in the library
Ninety percent of ’em gotta be burned away
I investigated all the people that I knowed
Ninety-eight percent of them gotta go
The other two percent are fellow Birchers . . . just like me

Busht Cheneynagans D.E.A.th & Oil!

The Enron, Bush, Baker, Rockefeller connection

Now Eisenhower, he’s a Russian spy
Lincoln, Jefferson and that Roosevelt guy
To my knowledge there’s just one man
That’s really a true American: George Lincoln Rockwell
I know for a fact he hates Commies cus he picketed the movie Exodus

Bushit or Sadamn? Flip a Coin

Anslinger-Bush-Hearst-Nixon-Hitler-Nalepka Déjà vu

Well, I fin’ly started thinkin’ straight
When I run outa things to investigate
Couldn’t imagine doin’ anything else
So now I’m sittin’ home investigatin’ myself!
Hope I don’t find out anything . . . hmm, great God!
~ Bob Dylan

Looking behind the Bushes

Bush Cabal Hides Patriot II Police State in HR2417

DdC's picture
DdC

I worship no one, you assume too much. So you quit everything you started, good for you! Kennedy was elected through Chicago corruption and was a man who cheated on his wife. His brother left a woman to die in a river. I feel sorry for you. I am happy and enjoy my life. You seem to do nothing to help others other than complain, way to make a difference!

Marlin60

If you don't worship Ayn Rand, why did you start this absolutely ridiculous thread? To annoy the people here? That sounds like what someone very happy with his life would waste his Sunday doing.

BTW, go ahead and feel sorry for me, if it makes you feel better — and right back at ya !

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Karolina --

I agree totally with your views. (I remember reading Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead in high school and was impressed with them until I talked to a teacher, and the teacher pointed out that the protagonists were not real and were not living in the real world, and I absolutely agreed with that. Now, of course, I would also ask in a Randian world who helps those who are powerless and who need help? In a Randian world, who would do anything for free, or with little compensation? And yet we have relied time and time again on each other and we are wise to do so.)

Thom always has a good answer for those who say they believe in Libertarian philosophies -- in what countries have such principles ever worked?

I mean, besides Somalia? And Somalia does great too with doing away with regulations, etc.

Even that grotesque Greenspan (who helped George W. drive the country off the cliff after Clinton started improving the deficit with a balance budget) admitted that his view of human nature and the necessity of regulations was wrong.

"“You had the authority to prevent irresponsible lending practices that led to the subprime mortgage crisis. You were advised to do so by many others,” said Representative Henry A. Waxman of California, chairman of the committee. “Do you feel that your ideology pushed you to make decisions that you wish you had not made?”

"Mr. Greenspan conceded: “Yes, I’ve found a flaw. I don’t know how significant or permanent it is. But I’ve been very distressed by that fact.”"

The above is from http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/24/business/economy/24panel.html. What a fraud and a putz this Ayn Rand alcolyte is. For so many people affected by the financial debacles, this is not simply a -- "Oh, my bad!" -- kind of moment. It is the loss of homes, of wealth, of hope, a much meaner future, etc.

Yours,

Caleb

Caleb's picture
Caleb

Thank you for your support and information Caleb. I also read all of Rand's books in high school, and was an Ayn Rand fan until I saw starving people while travelling in a 3rd world country for the first time.

The damage done by Rand's mental deficiencies is brutal to our human spiecies, but it is all a game to the ignorants who are not living in reality today.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Oh, but the peope starving in those poor 3rd world countries need to form charities that'll alliviate their suffering. Unless the Presidente Generalismo doesn't have them gunned down first.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Why does hearing from someone with views other than yours annoy you? Why are Progressives so opposed to people who don't sahre their big goverment policies. Big powerful goverments, like Germany under Hitler, the USSR, China, North Korea and our little friend to the south Cuba, have lead to the killings and enslavement of tens of millions.

Marlin60

Karolina, thank you for your posts. I can understand the career changes as well.

Unfortunately the impact of Rand is not limited to the 3rd world. In the United States, we have many people who are starving and in poverty, who work 2 and 3 jobs trying to support their families. All you have to do is go the American Indian reservations, Appalachians, Louisiana bayou, rural Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. Those are the places that I have been and can testify to the conditions that is why I am a recovering conservative.

It seems that the right embraces these philosophies because it allows them to justify their indifference to their fellow man, and the future of the planet. If they subscribe to Rand's belief that the world does not go on past their death than the future isn't an issue, if they believe that the rapture is coming soon, than the future isn't an issue.

Frankly, what drives me over the edge are the Right Wing Nut Jobs that claim to be Christian and support the philosophy of rand. They are at polar opposites. I asked a RWNJ about Matthew 25 caring for your fellow man and he came back with the Chinese proverb that if you teach a man to fish, you can feed him for a lifetime. He was completely happy with that answer.

What I am taking away from this forum when it comes to the right is that they are not interested in any information that contradicts their beliefs, they are not interested in information, they are not interested in the long term impact of their activities, their ONLY CONCERN IS THEIR NEXT PAYCHECK.

So they continue to repeat the Right Wing talking points

1) Only 53% pay federal income tax ignoring the details that other 47% don’t have any money, they are paying all other taxes including social security, Medicare, sales tax, etc

2) Social Security and Medicare are entitlement programs, No they are insurance programs, and we pay into them against future need like home owner and auto insurance.

3) They are for small government – translation as long as it doesn’t regulate corporations, they want the US to return to the mid 1960’s when cities were choking on air pollution, and our rivers were burning, and there places like Cooper Hill, Tennessee that looked like the surface of the moon but had less life. They ignore the work of Lewis Sinclair “The Jungle” that describes the abuses of unregulated Meat Industry. They ignore history of regulation that people ask for regulation when they have been cheated. This goes back to Babylon times, through middle ages in Germany and their food laws. How do you think we developed the term a “baker’s dozen” But they want a government that can or at least contract out to drug test welfare recipients even though all programs indicate a lower drug use than in the general population, they want a government that will invade a woman’s body to limit choices. It is interesting they bring up Hitler and Soviet Union and they didn’t have these requirements but they think it is perfectly fine.

4) They are concerned about voter fraud, but can show no evidence of it. They ignore the numerous reports on the hacking of electronic voting machines and the Red Shift that has been occurring since their introduction.

I could go out but is too depressing since they will continue to repeat them like a broken record.

I will leave with some hope for the future from Symphony of Science. A wave of reason

http://www.symphonyofscience.com/sos/Videos/Symphony%20of%20Science%20-%20A%20Wave%20of%20Reason.mpg

Recovering conservative2's picture
Recovering cons...

Why do certain people who have been awakened from their life long intellectual slumber by a cartoon find it necessary to come to Thom Hartmann's site with their cartoonish visions? Perhaps they've been intellectually stimulated for the first time in their dogmatically ritualized lives, but then, why wonder why people here become annoyed?

Ayn Rand's novels are like one long extended boring comic book. What's sad for many of us is that comic books in general have grown into a full-fledged spectacle to become this self-proclaimed "advanced" society's literature. And Ayn Rand's literature merely feeds into that spectacle. Even as literary characters, John Galt and all the others in her novels are little more than cardboard cutouts, one dimensional cartoon characters that minimize human complexity into carefully drawn black and white outlines.

I can just envision the anal compulsiveness of those who try to color these characters staying carefully within the lines. This speaks volumes about the mind that created them. Such characters don't even express views, they express abbreviations of thoughts. It's like some sort of shorthand thinking. As some on this thread have noted, when they were young these shorthand thoughts may have had some initial exciting appeal. But then their searching minds notice that life becomes much more complicating, and maturity brings a more complex and nuanced view for anyone engaged in seeking greater understanding. Reality is not a cartoon. Colors don't always stay neatly within the outlines.

For those of us who thirst for more than cartoon visions of the world through words, it's certainly not very interesting to keep getting the cartoons thrust upon us. It most assuredly can be tiresome to see people coming to this site over and over with them, repeating the same one-dimensional stick figure drawings again and again. And then, always, when no one gets excited, we get, not an in-depth discussion expanding on the meaning of the stick figures, but an obviously personalized cartoon projection from the quavering minds of those just awakened from what must have been for them a nightmarish slumber. It nearly always comes in the following shorthand: "why does hearing from someone with views other than your own annoy you?" Sigh. Look to yourself oh awakened ones, because that's not the question about anyone's annoyance, rather it's why are adults annoyed to have arrested-adolescent cartoonish thoughts thrust upon them, as if those cartoons were evolved human thoughts, when they are trying to work out complex problems?

Just about everybody knows what John Galt is. Please, John, just stagger off on your little stick legs like you've threatened to do. You will be shocked if you ever return to find out just how capable we serfs and peasants have always been. How very little we ever needed you.

And try reading some real literature, John. I recommend War and Peace for starters. Maybe back through you your creator can expand her mind and live a human life the next time around.

.ren's picture
.ren

A small govt is fine. I just want it big enough to be able to defend me and mine from Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Dirty Coal, etc.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

There were "problems" with "small" government before FDR:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army

"I told that dumb son-of-a-bitch not to go down there"

chilidog

Marlin60,

I am glad that you are able to take care of yourself and your family. Regardless of my having an issue with what you are saying, I am glad that you are in a good situation, because if I took it way from you, then you would become homeless, which would make the situation worse, not better.

Regardless of what some people may think or do, there will always be people that need help. Go to family? That is not a solution because many families do not have the resources to help someone who is disabled through no fault of their own. Go to charity? That is not a solution because most if not all charities do not have the resources to help people with certain disabilities.

Go to private insurance? That is laughable, because private insurance can discriminate against people, including disabled people. For example, until a few years ago, private insurance could discriminate against people with schizophrenia, and not provide care for them if it was a pre-existing condition. Private insurance doesn't want to care for people with certain pre-existing conditions because it will reduce profits. If the "market" is allowed to act efficiently, people with schizophrenia and certain other conditions are "damaged goods" and private insurance would be allowed to discard them to life in an institution, if that.

In order for a society to value the lives of people, there has to be at least some inefficiency in the form of helping people who would have difficulty helping themselves. Otherwise, insurance companies have the right to determine that certain people are "damaged goods" and that it is acceptable to discard them like trash.

micahjr34
Quote Marlin60:

I notice you did not answer my questions What do you do and what have you done? My guess is not much other than resent and attack those who are more successful than you.

Go address ren's post.

Dominic C

Currently Chatting

The world we're leaving for today's teens...

Without immediate global action on climate change, today's teenagers will be forced to live with the consequences of our inaction. The World Bank has issued their third report of climate change, and it says that global temperatures could rise by as much as 4 degrees Celsius by the time today's teens hit their 80th birthday.