Why are we paying for this insanity?

19 posts / 0 new

Can you afford your car payment? I hope so because you are paying for congressional cars too. How greedy can our government possibly get? Congressman get the best healthcare that your money can buy. An obscene pension plan. A salary that aproaches $200,000. Free world travel. Expense accounts. Gym memberships, etc,etc,etc. They don't have to pay for ANYTHING! Not everyone who is elected to congress is rich, but everyone who leaves congress is rich. What does that tell you?

And now these greedy S.O.B's claim they cannot afford to buy their own cars. They need to shake you down for the money. So they force you to lease their Lexus's and Tahoe's for them.

Greed gone wild. Go ahead and put your trust in government. But I've seen too much. I cannot.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Comments

Term limits, no pensions, cut staff down to bare bones, get ride of free insurance and other perks.

Marlin60

Now if someone would just point a figure at the experts in greed....CEO's of America's largest corporations..

Most didn't found the companies they run....they are legal usurpers of someone else's ingenuity. They sit on mulitple boards of directors voting one another the income of emperors. They reduce their employees to the status of serfs, or fatten their own pockets by dumping employees into the dungeons of the unemployment office by outsourcing their livelihood. They live like potentates off the work of others and confiscate for their own wallets much of their companies' incomes that should go to the shareholders...to the owners of the companies.

Why do we pay for this insanity with our military /industrial complex, our subsidies, our tax breaks, our bailouts and our growing poverty?

By comparison, a Lexus driven by a corrupt politician is nothing.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease".,

polycarp2

Thank you for a totally useless post. I know that you are just trying to distract us from our real problems. You are complaining about an amount of money that would be a rounding error on a rounding error on the money wasted by Republican governance over the last 30 years.

Let's get at the real wasted money, the maintenance of our overseas empire.

olenzekm's picture
olenzekm

Tsk tsk. One must not challenge the profitability of the military/industrial complex. Supporting spending more on war and the equipment for it than the rest of the world combined ....insane as it is...is a patriotic duty.

We have to keep the world safe for pretend democracy.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Bravo!

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76
Quote polycarp2:Tsk tsk. One must not challenge the profitability of the military/industrial complex. Supporting spending more on war and the equipment for it than the rest of the world combined ....insane as it is...is a patriotic duty.

Sarcasm is my favorite form of comedy, but I just want to clarify— the profitability of the military/industrial complex is not the thinking of United States patriots, but another situation being controlled by London and Wall Street oligarchs. The Joint Chiefs of Staff are currently advising against war — as did any truly patriotic presidents before they were assasinated. The United States Constitution has never been for any war if it could be avoided.

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote polycarp2:

Now if someone would just point a figure at the experts in greed....CEO's of America's largest corporations.

You have not been paying attention. The topic you mentioned is covered HEAVILY in this forum. The topic of this discusion is obscene congressional benefits. Please do not try to change the subject. Do you have a subject related comment?

rigel1's picture
rigel1
Quote olenzekm:

Thank you for a totally useless post. I know that you are just trying to distract us from our real problems. You are complaining about an amount of money that would be a rounding error on a rounding error on the money wasted by Republican governance over the last 30 years.

Let's get at the real wasted money, the maintenance of our overseas empire.

It sounds like you are in favor of the American people treating their politicians like kings and setting them up for life. Is this true?

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Rigel, some people are trying to figure out how to save the civilization, the USA and the planet.

It is annoying when there are silly intrigues posted to distract people away from more important issues. Its like the fluff of AOL home page, or celebrity news, or bread & gladiatore entertainment at the Roman Coloseum for the masses.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

It costs a lot of money to maintain two residencies, especially if one of them is in DC.

What I want from my legislators is to fight for the middle class instead of the un-earned-income rich. If a poor man comes to DC ready to fight for the middle class but cannot afford to live there, I am willing to subsidize his living expenses.

Is your ideal where only millionaires can serve in congress?

olenzekm's picture
olenzekm
Quote olenzekm:

Is your ideal where only millionaires can serve in congress?

No. My ideal would be that they don't become millionaires while "serving" in congress. If you want to call it serving.

And that we don't have to buy them houses, cars, travel, healthcare that is much better than you will ever get, retirement plans that are obscenly greedy and free world travel. Have you ever noticed that with all of the talk of social security going bust there is never any talk of congressional pensions going bust? When the government runs out of money is it congress who must sacrifice? Nope, they are off the table. They will always make sure that they are taken care of before we are. Exactly opposite of what thewy are supposed to do.

And that my friend is very, very ugly.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Why are we paying millions into services for illegal immigrants thats the better question? Why are we rewarding law breakers?

CollegeConservative's picture
CollegeConservative

Probably so we'll have someone to pick our lettuce. at a penney a head instead of striking for two cents a head.

Not many Americans are willing to poop in the fields and live in a hut that gets 120 degrees in summer. A penney per head of lettuce wouldn't be a large enough incentive.

However, if we insisted, i suppose we could always use armed force on an American underclass, forcing them to pick our lettuce and tomatos and hope they don't exercise their right to bear arms..

On the other hand, blood on lettuce may become the new in-vogue salad dressing.

Rigel, the cost of maintaing our corrupt politicians is nothing compared to the costs going to support a relatively few number of potentates who are bleeding the nation dry with one scam after another. I just can't get all that worked up about petty stuff.

I wouldn't get all worked up about a leak in the roof when the river is flooding through my front door. That sort of thing..

If you're that concerned about corrupt politicians, then get the potentates to put someone else on the ballot other than their horrible selections we are currently stuck with. You might even consider no longer rubber-stamping their offerings and voting for a third party. That's how I deal with it.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease".

polycarp2
Quote CollegeConservative:

Why are we paying millions into services for illegal immigrants thats the better question? Why are we rewarding law breakers?

We don't, non citizens cannot use any social services ie welfare, or Social Security. Have any more red herrings to serve?

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76
Quote polycarp2:

Probably so we'll have someone to pick our lettuce. at a penney a head instead of striking for two cents a head.

Not many Americans are willing to poop in the fields and live in a hut that gets 120 degrees in summer. A penney per head of lettuce wouldn't be a large enough incentive.

However, if we insisted, i suppose we could always use armed force on an American underclass, forcing them to pick our lettuce and tomatos and hope they don't exercise their right to bear arms..

On the other hand, blood on lettuce may become the new in-vogue salad dressing.

Rigel, the cost of maintaing our corrupt politicians is nothing compared to the costs going to support a relatively few number of potentates who are bleeding the nation dry with one scam after another. I just can't get all that worked up about petty stuff.

I wouldn't get all worked up about a leak in the roof when the river is flooding through my front door. That sort of thing..

If you're that concerned about corrupt politicians, then get the potentates to put someone else on the ballot other than their horrible selections we are currently stuck with. You might even consider no longer rubber-stamping their offerings and voting for a third party. That's how I deal with it.

rigel1's picture
rigel1
Quote polycarp2:

Politicians who are there for their own enrichment and put the welfare of their constituents far below their own luxury is not petty. It's dangerous and one of the main reasons we are so screwed up. When someone is elected to congress they are set for life. Your "petty" problems are the least of their concern. How can they be trusted to make real world decisions for you? They have a set of rules for you and another set for themselves. The benefit package they force on you is not nearly good enough for them. They are special. They claim to be serving you, but guess who is getting the sweetheart deal. It ain't you. Who exactly is serving who?

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Rigel, it's the potentates who place their names on the ballots and finance their elections, so just where is the real problem.?

Whenever any society encourages large concentrations of wealth, government is ultimately captured by wealth to serve wealth either through paid violence or corruption. When in history has this not been so? The only time that doesn't occur is in egalitarian societies.

Complaining about corrupt government while encouraging social stuctures that assure it is an exercise in futility. I tend to look towards the roots of problems rather than focusing on their symptoms.

It;s usually better to attack the cause of a disease rather than the symptoms if you want the symptoms to go away.

You have the choice of voting for a corrupted politician.... or booting him out of office by voting for his corrupt opponent. That's the choice the two wings of the Corporate Party run by, and for a few potentates gives you. Whoopie!

I usually vote for a third party's candidate and if one ever wins, they'll be bought/sold just like the rest. The social structure assures it..The U.S. isn't unique in that respect. The history of concentrations of wealth plays itself out over, and over, and over.

polycarp2
Quote polycarp2:I usually vote for a third party's candidate and if one ever wins, they'll be bought/sold just like the rest.

IMO that would be "..if a strong, moral and honest one ever wins, they'll be bought/sold just like the rest or else they will be assassinated. Unless the social structure is changed."

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Currently Chatting

It’s Time for Bill O’Reilly to Get Real about White Privilege

It’s time for white America to get real about white privilege. Last night, Bill O’Reilly came from back vacation early to host a special edition of “The Factor”, one that he said would “tell the truth” about what’s going on in Ferguson, Missouri.