Why the Ryan budget is best.

18 posts / 0 new

Because it is a budget. It's the ONLY budget we have. For over 1000 days the democrats in the senate have ignored their legal obligation to produce a budget. In other words they have broken the law. Why are they afraid to do their jobs? At least have the guts to put something out there. No wonder Obama has run up more debt than all of the other presidents combined. What would your finances look like if you decided not to have a budget? Just buy whatever you want whenever you want it and worry about the consequences later. No budget, no money, no problem. And they want us to send them more money when they refuse to budget our money? Not another dime. Disgraceful.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Comments

How would your finances look if you bought a home and after you moved in, found out that the former owner had put on a new roof, new plumbing, new kitchen, new bathrooms and hadn't paid for them? Now, since you're the homeowner, you better pay up. Then to make matters worse, your wife finds out that you're on the hook for half a million bucks that you didn't spend and she dumps you telling everyone you know that you ran up half a million bucks in debt?

In this story, you're the lying wife.

Wesg

Please show me how Obama has run up more debt than all other presidents combined. I'm getting old but my math skills haven't deteriorated that much.

You can't compare the national budget to a household budget. I can't create my own money out of thin air. If I could then I wouldn't be too worried about my household budget.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

So the Peoples' Budget from the Progressive Caucus doesn't exist? Now I understand how libertarians operate. Reality and the truth are whatever a libertarian says and any facts that interfere with it are ignored.

Oh, and of course the President has proposed a budget.

And there is the budget deal that the teabaggers forced through last year, that already cut the govt spending. But since for a teabagging libertarian, any agreement they make is good only until they think everyone has forgotten that they made a deal, voted on it, and it was signed into law.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

The budget passed is actually of a higher degree of certitude than traditional mark-up, out of committee legislation. The budget in position is a law signed by the president, not an operational guideline, or fudge job that republicans use. Again, a law is higher than budget fraud aka resolution in beltway speak. A Law is greater than a resolution, do you understand that yet? Republicans lie, do you understand that? The law certifies 2.2 trillion in deficit reduction, the ryan/romney welfare to the rich increases the deficit. The law cuts military budget to the amount the joint chiefs, generals, and admirals say is needed, ryan says they don't know and gives more taxpayer money than they want, or need, but a law trumps a resolution. Did I make that clear?

The Budget Control Act explained by Kent Conrad on thurs. 19th

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

I don't want Social Security or Medicare touched, but everything else is fair game. Including defense spending. What is with these goons?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405270230381650457730530371378917...

chilidog
Quote Bush_Wacker:

Please show me how Obama has run up more debt than all other presidents combined. I'm getting old but my math skills haven't deteriorated that much.

You can't compare the national budget to a household budget. I can't create my own money out of thin air. If I could then I wouldn't be too worried about my household budget.

From those conservatives at CBS news.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57400369-503544/national-debt-has-increased-more-under-obama-than-under-bush/

http://www.beaufortobserver.net/Articles-c-2011-10-05-256245.112112-Obama-has-run-up-more-debt-than-all-the-presidents-from-Washington-to-Bush-41-combined.html

rigel1's picture
rigel1
Quote douglaslee:

Republicans lie, do you understand that?

Of course I do. That's why I don't trust them. Democrats lie, do you understand that?

And why haven't they submitted a budget?

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Budgets are always in balance because
(Federal Deficits = Net Private Savings+ net imports), applies to USA and other nations that have their own currencies.
What the mainstream talks about is a particular type of balance where the above equation means
(0 = x- x), in other words only private sector balances net imports. In practice this means
(0 = 0+0 ).
No deficits means no growth! Personal debt and govt debt have opposite meanings!

Federal deficits and only federal deficits grow the economy(mostly the private sector) and this is the reason why the 1% talk always about "unsustainable federal debts".

deficits go with private savings

surplus goes with recessions

federal debt = private wealth

http://pshakkottai.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/another-proof-of-mmt-4/

pshakkottai's picture
pshakkottai
Quote rigel1:

No wonder Obama has run up more debt than all of the other presidents combined.

chilidog
Quote rigel1:
Quote Bush_Wacker:

From those conservatives at CBS news.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57400369-503544/national-debt-has-increased-more-under-obama-than-under-bush/

http://www.beaufortobserver.net/Articles-c-2011-10-05-256245.112112-Obama-has-run-up-more-debt-than-all-the-presidents-from-Washington-to-Bush-41-combined.html

You have to more than double the debt from when you took over in order to have more debt than everyone combined. He took over the debt was over 10 trillion. You left out "up to G.Bush 41". Guess what GW ran up more than all previous presidents combined, not Obama. Yet.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

The private sector will lose 2.2 trillion if the deficit is reduced by 2.2 trillion because

(Federal Deficits = Net Private Savings+ net imports) for USA, a money creator.

–To understand economics, you must understand Monetary Sovereignty. Most economists and politicians don’t. « #Monetary Sovereignty – Mitchell

–Nine steps to prosperity; a short message to #Occupy Wall Street « #Monetary Sovereignty – Mitchell

pshakkottai's picture
pshakkottai
Quote pshakkottai:

The private sector will lose 2.2 trillion if the deficit is reduced by 2.2 trillion because

(Federal Deficits = Net Private Savings+ net imports) for USA, a money creator.

–To understand economics, you must understand Monetary Sovereignty. Most economists and politicians don’t. « #Monetary Sovereignty – Mitchell

–Nine steps to prosperity; a short message to #Occupy Wall Street « #Monetary Sovereignty – Mitchell

Thanks to you and a lot of research I understand that. I'm not neccesarilly opposed to a certain gluttonous part of the private sector losing 2.2 trillion in wealth. I would rather see it partitioned in a more fair way than just taken away.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

On the debt issue, who cares. We need jobs. Mitt Rmoney has a plan to help the rich get richer while laying off more Americans, and increasing the deficit.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

The Ryan budget is the best If rioting in the street and another massive economic meltdown is your idea of progress.

But let's be honest here - with 1 corporate party under 2 names running the show another meltdown is baked in the cake so to say.

And obamabots tell me - Has Obama even mentioned the Progressive caucus's budget plan?

Not that I know of - but then again the vast majority of Obamas actions are those of a Blue Dog - Obama is the Top Blue Dog.

Scappoose's picture
Scappoose

Yes, the Ryan budget is disasterous. And yes the Democratic leadership has neglected its duties to come up with a budget since they regained control of Congress in 2006.

But Obama did not 'run up' debt. The federal deficit is a reaction to the economy, not a cause of it. There was a surplus under Clinton not because he or congress created it but because the economy was smoking. Unfortunately it was running on borrowed fuel. As the fed deficit came down, private debt increased. (gov't surplus = private debt, gov't debt = private surplus) Now that people are not spending so much money, either through saving it or paying back their own debt, the fed deficit is increasing. The deficit responds to the economy, it does not control it. Whether it is Ryan or the Democrats, both sides are trying to cure the fever by adjusting the thermometer. It will not work.

Meanwhile, as we argue over cutting taxes and reducing spending, or raising taxes and increasing spending, both of which cancel themselves out, having no effect on the economy on the whole, the money in our economy is disappearing into the bankers pockets rather than the gov't's.

planetxan's picture
planetxan

It is also the Worst! By your logic one could use any superlative.

I agree that the not offering a budget by the Dems is an act of cowardice. They have made the political decision that if they did offer the budget that we really need, the People would not like it. That is because the People need some tough love and the Dems don't want to give it.

The Repubs don’t mind providing a crazy budget tilted strongly to the Rich because that is their constituency. The Repubs are taking a lot of heat for that budget. If the Repubs loose in the coming election cycle, the Ryan budget will be a major cause.

olenzekm's picture
olenzekm
Quote planetxan:

Yes, the Ryan budget is disasterous. And yes the Democratic leadership has neglected its duties to come up with a budget since they regained control of Congress in 2006.

I respect the honesty of this statement. If the dems are gonna complain, they should at least be offering an alternative. We are not comparing apples to oranges. We are comparing apples to nothing.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.