Wisconsin jobs, under Scott Walker, dropped by nearly a full percentage point

15 posts / 0 new

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker’s bid to defend himself against a recall election just got a lot tougher. According to new data from the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, Wisconsin saw the largest decrease in jobs over the last year of all the states in the nation.

Wisconsin jobs dropped by nearly a full percentage point.

That’s not exactly the news the Governor wants to hear after he promised to create 250,000 jobs during his first term in office. In the month of March – other states that have pushed austerity – like Ohio and New Jersey – also saw job losses.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

Once we get done with this bogus recall. Then jobs will be coming to wisconsin. Employers are waiting to see if wisconsin is going to remain a state that is open for business. Or if wisconsin will return to tax and spend liberal state. You have gotta admire Walker, unlike Obama, he is not blaming the former administration for job loss. A vote for walker is a vote against the tax and spend liberals. The two front runners on the liberal side have already said that they will try and reinstate the collective bargaining agreement. which in turn will raise everyone's taxes. And raising taxes is not a very good plan to get elected. Walker gets my vote.

whiskeyman's picture
whiskeyman

The fog is bginning to clear on the impact of Walker's performance as Governor. He claims to have saved the State $1 billion, but "The verifiable savings come almost entirely from public-sector workers paying more toward their pension and insurance benefits as a result of the Walker’s jackhammer Act 10." Unfortunately, if this is the case, then no savings can be attributed to Wisconsin's huge job losses.

Good record to be going into a recall election with. Some small savings entirely on the backs of Public Employees coupled with substantantial job loss. Oh yeah.

Art's picture
Art

So Walker's policies failed, and the answer is not undo them? I am starting to understand TeaBaggers. They are dumber than a box of rocks.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

phaedrus76 you would have a better chance of getting conservatives to consider your opinion, if you didn't insult them, if you are trying to convince them that you are right, then calling them names and talking down to them doesn't get your point across any better. It just shows your lack of thought.

Of the jobs that were lost almost 75% were government jobs. Which is always a good step. Smaller govt. is another way to save taxpayers money. And art is correct , a large majority of the savings are from the public service unions paying a small percentage of their benefits. The public service unions were paying none of their health and retirement. Walker's reforms are working , schools are open and county workers are working and the taxpayers are still getting services. So the gloom and doom that the public service unions had predicted is simply un-true. The unions have been surviving on the backs of the taxpayers long enough. public service workers don't work for the unions they work for the taxpayers. And to use a phrase of obama, it was time for them to pay their share.

whiskeyman's picture
whiskeyman

It's always about the money. What do conservatives think about that 75% government jobs being actual people. It's not just a number, those are friggin people. Now they don't have a job cause it might cost an extra 5 bucks in my personal taxes. Who gives a flying sheet about them people and their families. Let them live in the gutter and work their way up. Don't you dare give them any more government funds just because they got thrown out of work. That will cost me another 5 bucks in my taxes. MY taxes are the most important thing in the world. MY MONEY is more important than children. Hell, I don't know em. Just think, with guys like Walker in charge I might save an extra hundred bucks a year!! The poor backs of the taxpayer. Are there any chiropractor's around here?

Oh yeah, all those public employees who got the pink slip were tax payers too. I guess that don't count since they were doing public work. Friggin lazy assed liberals.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker
Wisconsin lost 23,900 jobs between March 2011 and March 2012, according to data released Tuesday by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. The state’s lead in job losses is significantly greater than the rest of the 50 states: No other state lost more than 3,500 jobs.

The majority of the losses in Wisconsin, 17,800, were in the public sector. However, the state lost more private-sector jobs, 6,100, than any other state. The only other states to report private-sector job losses in the same time period (instead of private-sector gains) were Mississippi and Rhode Island.

Art's picture
Art

I would like to say that I'm sorry for the unemployed government workers but after 3 years of Obama running this country into the ground, my give a damn is busted.

whiskeyman's picture
whiskeyman
I would like to say that I'm sorry for the unemployed government workers but after 3 years of Obama running this country into the ground, my give a damn is busted.
Any thoughts about those other 6,100 private sector jobs?

Art's picture
Art

Looks like Scott Walker won't be able to keep his recall election clean of voter fraud.

Wisconsin’s new voter ID law won’t apply to the recall election against Gov. Scott Walker, according to two appeals court rulings this week.

An opinion released Thursday said there was “no realistic possibility” that the legal wrangling over the controversial law would be decided before the June 5 election, reports the Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel.

We can expect to see busloads of Scott Walker-haters flooding into Wisconsin to vote faudulently in the election.

Art's picture
Art

Why do you think that the scott walker haters will come by the busload? And can they get on a bus without a photo ID?

whiskeyman's picture
whiskeyman

Isn't it amazing that wisconsin is just 1 of a few states to lose jobs. And we are also one of the states giving a big FU to the liberals. Once this recall is over and walker is re-elected and Obama is out of a job. You will see wisconsin turn around. Businesses are waiting to see if wisconsin will stay on the right track or if wisconsin will return to a tax and spend liberal paradise where the public service unions have a lap dog democrat in madison catering to the chosen few and not the taxpayers. walker gets my vote, again.

whiskeyman's picture
whiskeyman

Have another shot of Old Koch. Feel the warmth spread. Don't bother trying to think, just swallow another shot.

drc2

Do you really think Scott Walker gives a rats ass about you or anyone else in Wisconsin? He's trying to impress the republican powers that be. That is all any of them want to do. Remember that anything pertaining to what's best for the citizen will always come last before politics. We the people are always a bridesmaid and never a....................................

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

On Wisconsin jobs, among other job losses, the company that builds the rail cars for the new high speed trains in the area saw the crap storm that is Walker, and moved their production to Illinois, which has much higher taxes, they're a bunch of MaoMao Kenyan commies, and they hate teh freedum.

Why would any company do that? Oh Wisconsin cancelled their order. The lack of funding from the state changed the investment decisions of a real company. Not an imaginary BS freedum loving company. But just like 100's of other companies, they see the uncertainty that is Wisconsin, and they have elected to not play that reaindeer game.

Austerity programs lead to economic losses. Because if you reduce demand while in a depression, no other players will step in to create demand.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Currently Chatting

Who Should an Economy Serve?

The top one percent own half of all the world's assets. In stark contrast, the bottom fifty percent of the world owns less than one percent. According to the 2014 Global Wealth Report from Credit Suisse, global inequality has surged since the 2008 financial collapse. The report explains that while global wealth has more than doubled since the year 2000, the vast majority of overall growth has gone to those who were already wealthy.