Your tax dollars at work

18 posts / 0 new

From Sunday's News of the Weird:
News of the Weird
TM
(c) 1999-2001 , Chuck Shepherd. All rights reserved.

Government in Action

-- Controlling the Waters: (1) A February bill in the Wyoming legislature to prepare the state for possible secession authorized a task force to consider establishing a state army, navy, marine corps and air force, and one amendment added the consideration of purchasing an aircraft carrier. Wyoming is, of course, landlocked, but it does have the 136-square-mile Yellowstone Lake, though that body of water is high up in the Teton mountains. (The aircraft- carrier amendment was defeated even though 27 representatives voted for it.) (2) Texas announced in February that it would deploy six gunboats to patrol the Mexican border's Rio Grande river. Said a state Department of Safety official, "It sends a message: Don't mess with Texas." [Billings Gazette, 2-27-2012] [CNN, 2-29-2012]

harry ashburn

Comments

comment: i didn't even know the Rio Grande was deep or wide enough for gunboats. They'll prolly need to include a battalion of soldiers to portage the boats thru the shallow parts!

harry ashburn

The correct phraseology is "your tax dollars in action."

Get it?

Your tax dollars' inaction?

Conservatives love that quip.

chilidog

That would be Wyoming tax dollars at work wouldn't it? I believe that it was all political theatre in order to make a point. It's becoming all the rage these days. Wasting real tax dollars on bogus legislature in order to make a point. I believe that South Dakota had introduced a bill to make it mandatory to buy and own a gun for the same purpose. They admitted it was to make the health care mandate looks foolish. It still took taxpayers money for someone to take the time to write up the bogus bill.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

You may not like it ,but if you give the government the power to force people to buy health insurance. Then you are giving them the power to buy anything, guns included.

whiskeyman's picture
whiskeyman

The Feds and the States can give a tax deduction or a tax credit for any behavior they want.

chilidog

I understand the Texas thing. They are being invaded and the feds refuse to help. So what choice do they have? But Wyoming? They don't have enough people to fund that kind of spending.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

What they could do is use eVerify to put some corporate heads in prison.

chuckle8's picture
chuckle8

If Texas has been invaded, its Yankees, not Mexicans. We took Texas away from the Mexicans. the "Mexicans" are just coming home!

harry ashburn

Texas has been invaded by Yankees, not Mexicans. We took Texas away from Mexico. The "Mexicans" are just coming home!

harry ashburn

Why would anyone want to mess with Texas when they are messin' it up fine by themselves?

rigel, wake up and stop jerking your knees to every FAUX meme.

boozerman, you really need to see what is being mixed into that White Lightening.

I agree, however, that we ought not involve the Privateer Sector in health insurance. We should own the Single Payer universal risk pool and pay for it out of the general fund where we are "all in." It makes a lot more sense for peace and security than paying for a military does.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote harry ashburn:

Texas has been invaded by Yankees, not Mexicans. We took Texas away from Mexico. The "Mexicans" are just coming home!

Bull. Every square inch of decent land in the world was taken from somebody. Good luck trying to give it all back to its rightfull owners. I don't see you volunteering to give your property to an indian tribe.

Texas is US property. The Mexicans who are invading Texas have probably never been there before. It ain't theirs.

rigel1's picture
rigel1
Quote DRC:

rigel, wake up and stop jerking your knees to every FAUX meme.

boozerman, you really need to see what is being mixed into that White Lightening.

A double dose of advice. How cool is that!!!!

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Rigel1,

You have a point in saying that all the land in the world was taken from someone by someone else. I guess that people can try to start improving themselves by developing what they have instead of acquiring from others, but that would be hard to do , knowing the pattern of history.

Rigel1, please correct me if I am wrong in saying this, but is it not the nature Laissez Faire Capitalism to want what other people have? (coveting...) That is, to see what another may have and say to yourself:"I want what that person has!" Some people acquire through buying/selling or by using violent force. Regardless of the means of acquisition, wanting "what is over there" is still coveting.

micahjr34
Quote micahjr34:

Rigel1,

Rigel1, please correct me if I am wrong in saying this, but is it not the nature Laissez Faire Capitalism to want what other people have? (coveting...)

No. This is human nature. Even communists are greedy. Look at all of the obscene wealth in Hollywood. Have you ever seen such a collection of rampant capitalists who insist that they are not? Micheal Moore loves the Cuban system, but not enough to live it himself. He has the best medical care money can buy and he wouldn't have it any other way. Union bosses who claim they are not capitalists get rich off of the backs of workers. It's human nature. At least capitalism is honest about it.

rigel1's picture
rigel1
Quote rigel1:
Quote micahjr34:

Rigel1,

Rigel1, please correct me if I am wrong in saying this, but is it not the nature Laissez Faire Capitalism to want what other people have? (coveting...)

No. This is human nature. Even communists are greedy. Look at all of the obscene wealth in Hollywood. Have you ever seen such a collection of rampant capitalists who insist that they are not? Micheal Moore loves the Cuban system, but not enough to live it himself. He has the best medical care money can buy and he wouldn't have it any other way. Union bosses who claim they are not capitalists get rich off of the backs of workers. It's human nature. At least capitalism is honest about it.

Just my opinion but I believe you are mistaking capitalism with profiteering. Capitalism builds while profiteering destroys.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Bush_Wacker,

You make an extremely big point. I forgot the wisdom of acknowledging that "self interest" and "selfishness" are not the same thing. A person can want to build up for themselves while at the same time not necessarily wanting what other people have just because they have it.

micahjr34

rigel, calm down and try to sort some things out. Michael Moore makes movies that expose a lot of crap and people go to them. He makes money, but he uses his money to frame the problems, not to increase his "class" power.

Compare and contrast: Union "boss" salaries and CEO salaries for the same industries. Not only do the union leaders make a lot less than the board roomers, they have a much tougher job.

Moore pointed out that Cuban medicine gets better social results than ours does. How could that be if we have such a great system and get the best value for our investments?

Moore is an exception in "Hollywood" which is anything other than "communist" in spirit or function. They have been making Righwing propaganda for a long time. Check your knees.

DRC's picture
DRC

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.