This was the story released nationwide yesterday.
US 'foils new underwear bomb plot' by al-Qaeda in Yemen May 8, 2012
The alleged device was seized in the Middle East after a CIA operation in Yemen and is being studied by the FBI.
Reports say no target had been chosen and no plane tickets purchased by the time the alleged plot was foiled.
Officials say there was never any risk to the public. It is not clear what has happened to the would-be bomber.
Peter King, chairman of the Homeland Security Committee of the US House of Representatives, said counter-terrorism officials had told him: "We don't have to worry about him any more."
The officials revealed that the would-be bomber was alive, but would not say whether he was in foreign custody, Mr King added.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the foiled attack was proof of the continuing need for vigilance around the world.
"These terrorists keep trying. They keep trying to devise more and more perverse and terrible ways to kill innocent people," she said.
US officials said the device had been seized in an unspecified Middle Eastern country outside Yemen within the last 10 days....
This is the story today.
Al-Qaeda underwear bomber 'was US double agent'
... Officials told US media that the would-be bomber had been recruited by Saudi Arabia's intelligence agency and sent to Yemen where he infiltrated the militants' cell.
The BBC's Steve Kingstone in Washington says the double-agent was reportedly given an ambitious task by Saudi intelligence - to convince AQAP that he wanted to blow up himself and a US-bound aircraft.
The agent was given the device which he then delivered to the CIA and Saudi officials.
The New York Times reports that the double-agent is now safe in Saudi Arabia....
... The agent also provided intelligence that led the CIA to conduct a drone strike in Yemen on Sunday that killed AQAP leader Fahd al-Quso, the New York Times reported.
Quso was wanted in connection with the bombing of the American destroyer USS Cole in Yemen 12 years ago. The US was offering a $5m (£3.1m) reward for information leading to his capture or death.
US officials told ABC News that Quso had been planning an attack similar to the failed 2009 attempt to blow up a passenger plane.
The device seized from Yemen shares some features with the bomb sewn into the underwear of would-be suicide bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab during that attempt, officials said....
Whoa. Wait a minute. I have a few questions about this story.
The carrier of the alleged device was himself a US intelligence agent? So does this mean a US intelligence agency foiled a plot shopped around by a US intelligence agency? And then the same article has a story of a drone attack in Yemen, but really doesn’t say if the target had anything to do with the actual US intelligence “double agent” plot of yesterday, or if the execution was retaliation for a sting operation some US intelligence agency originated themselves in Yemen. There are isolated pieces of release informaton: the sting operation, the allege device, the drone execution, and terrorist Ibrahim al-Asiri all thrown into the stew—but what is the whole picture? The truth is the whole--connection isn't cause. There are a lot gaps in this narrative leading the reader to make all kinds of assumptions even if the reader happened to find the second article explaining that the sting operation arrestee was a “double agent.”
In a CBS video interview about this story there are many other ambiguities that where not cleared up because details are not explained for ‘’obvious reasons.” So the intelligence agency controls the key defining information. Is this another “Curveball” story? For all we know the “double agent” could be Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi but we will never know because “Intelligence agencies and senior officials tell CBS News they're not going anywhere near commenting on the issue for obvious reasons.”
One of the media journalist on the CBS story is news correspondent John Miller, a former assistant director at the FBI. Wait a minute! The CBS News correspondent is a former FBI agent! LOL!!!!
John Miller is a senior correspondent for CBS News, with extensive experience in intelligence, law enforcement and journalism, including stints in the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the FBI.
CBS news? Welcome to KGB news. Let me say it again: the CBS correspondent is a former FBI assistant director!
It all sounds like a load of steaming, stinking shit. The story has all the attributes of propaganda to justify more intrusive searches at the airports including pre-check programs of passengers even before arriving at the airport. Secondly, this news story connects an execution of a terrorist suspect at its conclusion and is designed to psychologically condition the reader to become desensitized to routine drone assassinations. Lastly, I think this story hypes terrorism stories to justify the expansion and privatization the security industry—in other words this is more fear propaganda for making money!
You know what this story smells like? Take a big turd and place it on a block of ice...that what this story smells like.