CEOs are literally stealing workers’ wages

9 posts / 0 new

As CNN reports – wage theft complaints have increased 400% over the last decade – with over 7,000 lawsuits alleging wage and hour violations against employers filed just in 2011. The complaints center on workers accusing their employers of not paying them for all the hours they worked or not paying overtime that they were entitled to.

Some of the companies that have had suits filed against them are Walmart, Starbucks, and Bank of America. This is yet another consequence of our corporate capitalism model – where executives are rewarded for squeezing whatever profits they can out of a company – including nickel and dimeing their workers – or outright stealing from them – just to hit quarterly profit goals.

Time to bring back business in the public interest.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

Talk to anyone who's ever worked on commission. Oldest story in the book.

chilidog

For anyone reading here who is a Republican, this is why we need a government much stronger than any corporation — to protect our people.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

No Karolina, don't you know that the free markets will not allow for such things to happen. If you don't like getting ripped off by your company you are always free to go find a different job. Sorry, I just wanted to beat the cons to the punch.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

LOL.

You're so right Bush Wacker — what was I thinking????

The free market is the answer to ALL human needs!!!

Karolina's picture
Karolina

So are you happy that your company allows you to VPN/VNC into company network so you can work from home on weeknights and weekends so that you can stay on schedule??

Wow!! I would like to have you as one of my salaried workers!!

smilingcat

If you are talking to me — I have no idea what you are talking about...

Have a lovely evening. ;-D

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote Karolina:

If you are talking to me — I have no idea what you are talking about...

Have a lovely evening. ;-D

The point raised originally had to do with employers cheating workers out of fair pay. Having employees work off hours from home or elsewhere is shifting work off site. And if you are salaried, you don't get any more pay even though you have "clocked" in 40 hours. In effect, the company is getting free work hours from its employees. Setting up VPN/VNC, software to allow you to connect into your office computer off hour is very cheap. Employers save considerable amount of money by having less employees to do the work. Deliberate understaffing and making up the shortfall by encouraging workers to work off the clock. Employees are not compensated for working off the clock.

It's the same thing, but done legally and many employees work willingly off the clock to meet the tight deadline. Employees don't realize they are being taken advantage.

I find this practice deplorable.

smilingcat

Smilingcat, I learned all of that the hard way, and though I enjoyed the work, I knew the company was getting much more for me than I was getting from them.

After I built up a good design portfolio and history and network, I "employed myself". By then I knew many people in many companies so — they hired me, I did the project, I billed them, they paid me.

No politics and the endless meetings were ONLY about the project that I was working on.

I was very happy that way. Most people are not quite as adventurous as I am, though. Typically people need the stability of knowing that they are in the company that they are already familiar with, trying to climb to the top of the company totem pole, all the while recieving a steady salary.

I agree — I think the practice that we are talking about here is deplorable indeed.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.