Dennis Kucinich on NATO

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Karolina
Karolina's picture

Congressman Dennis Kucinich’s comment on NATO this weekend, presented in RSN today as NATO Talks Sham. I wasn't sure which forum to put this thread in, as it applies everywhere.

Dennis Kucinich wrote:
The North Atlantic Treaty Organization is not a benevolent organization. NATO is not about the North Atlantic and it's not about our collective defense.

NATO is a cost-sharing organization that finances aggressive military action. By hiding behind the claim that the organization provides for 'common defense,' NATO allows us to wage wars of choice under the guise of international peacekeeping. The most recent example was the unconstitutional war in Libya where NATO, operating under a United Nations mandate to protect civilians, instead backed one side in a civil war and pursued a policy of regime change.

Today, NATO leaders are meeting in Chicago to discuss the future of Afghanistan. The talks are being billed as discussions of plans to end the war. The war in Afghanistan is not ending. These talks are simply about financing the next phase of the war.

The Strategic Partnership Agreement between the U.S. and Afghanistan commits us to the country for at least another decade, despite public support for the war being at an all-time low. The United States will pay for half of the estimated $4.1 billion per year cost of supporting 352,000 Afghan army and police officers. Afghanistan's contribution will be $500,000. The rest will be financed by our 'NATO partners.' It is not surprising that support for the war among NATO members is waning, with France threatening to pull out its troops by the end of this year.

Our participation in NATO comes at a great financial cost to the U.S. We contribute the majority of funds for NATO's common budget, including 25% of the military budget. Between fiscal years 2010 and 2012 alone, we contributed more than $1.3 billion to NATO's military budget. We also incur significant costs through the deployment of our forces in support of NATO missions. According to The Atlantic, the war in Libya cost the United States $1.1 billion.

NATO was originally founded to provide a strategic counterbalance to the Soviet Union. Its founding purpose no longer exists, but NATO continues to circumvent the authority of the United Nations and to provoke other nations. NATO is an anachronism. Instead of trying to bolster the organization, we should begin serious discussions to dismantle it.

Comments

sheilach2
sheilach2's picture
Declaration of independance -

Declaration of independance - in part and edited.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all (PEOPLE) are (EVOLVED) equal, that they are endowed by their (EXISTANCE) with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.~ ( As WE define it.)

~Whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is RIGHT of the People to alter or to ABOLISH IT, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. ~

~When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism,IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNEMENT AND TO PROVIDE NEW GUARDS FOR THEIR FUTURE SECURITY."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson "

US Presidential oath of office -

"I do solemnly affirm, that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent on me, according to the best of my abilities and understanding, agreeably to the Constitution, and laws of the United States."(no  "god" oath, that violates the Constitution!)

IT'S TIME TO OVERTHROW THIS CORRUPT, UNJUST, WARMONGERING,RELIGION SHOVING, BILL OF RIGHTS DESTROYING GOVERNMENT!

We need to reduce this overbloated, capatilistic, unsustainable, religion shoving, corrupt government into many SMALL countries so that NEVER AGAIN can they be a warmongering, corrupt, unrepresentative  empire.

Most of us want peace and we want equality, justice and FREEDOM.

We don't have that in "Amerikkka".

Live free or die trying

Karolina
Karolina's picture
Let's be dominated by the

Let's be dominated by the international corporations or a global plutocracy or EVEN a global monarchy maybe — instead of keeping and decorrupting our brilliantly designed Constitutional Republic.

Right—divide & conquer. Nice try, Sheilach.

BTW, is that Sheilach as in Shylock?  

"Don't want nobody to stop the stealin' — gettin' in th' way o' my pound o' flesh!"

Laborisgood
Laborisgood's picture
Sheila: "We" ..... yes (as

Sheila:

"We" ..... yes (as in, all of us)

"Overbloated" ..... yes (as in, unregulated capitalism aided by gov't)

"Religion shoving" ..... no (as in, you've got to be kidding)

"Warmongering" ..... present (as in, work in progress)

"Corrupt" ..... yes (as in, money in politics will do that)

"Unrepresentative" ..... hell yes (as in, corporations = people & money = speech)

"Break our states up into smaller countries" for the betterment of all ..... as in, kuckoo

Let's create many Somali-like libertarian paradises right in our own back yard.

sheilach2
sheilach2's picture
Sorry "Karolina", I'm

Sorry "Karolina", I'm sheilach2 as in "'stashgal". If you look closely at my ugly mug, you will see I wear a moustash.

"Karolina" wrote "

"Let's be dominated by the international corporations or a global plutocracy or EVEN a global monarchy maybe — instead of keeping and decorrupting our brilliantly designed Constitutional Republic.

Right—divide & conquer. Nice try, Sheilach."

Say what?? just where did I say anything like that????

I want to get us OUT of corporate domenation and I certainly do not want any kind of global plutocracy or monarchy. I want a government of by and FOR WE THE PEOPLE, not just the big corporations, Insurance companies, the private for profit prison industry and the military industrial warmongering complex.

And what is so "great" about "our brilliantly designed Constitutional Republic."?

It was written by rich landed white men, for rich landed white men. It needs to be updated to reflect todays reality, get rid of the "electors" and the "electoral collage", get rid of "winner takes all " elections , replace with instant run off, get corporations out of the "vote" and the "vote count", end automatic citizenship for anyone who enters illegally and has a child here,the citizenship of the child of an illegal immigrant should be the same as it's mother.

There are reasons all  countries have borders, to protect their assets and limit immigration. We are overpopulated, we don't need any more immigrants.

"God" oaths are illegal, remove "under god" from our pledge of allegiance, remove "in god we trust" on our money and remove it as our official motto, it's a  crass violation of the first amenment to the constitution.

The No Religious Test Clause of the United States Constitution is found in Article VI, paragraph 3, and states that:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

Get rid of "free speech ZONES", that also violates the first amendment to the constitution, the war on (some) drugs violates the fourth amendment,  return the military budget to a DEFENCE ONLY budget, END pre-emptive wars ! End pre-emptive DETENTION, a violaton of the 4th amendment!

I want to improve the constitution not abolish it but it has already been abolished by this corrupt, unjust governemt, we need to get rid of it, get rid of capitalism because endless growth is not sustainalbe on a finite planet and too much wealth ends up in too few fists.

Laborisgood
Laborisgood's picture
sheilach2 wrote: "God" oaths

sheilach2 wrote:

"God" oaths are illegal, remove "under god" from our pledge of allegiance, remove "in god we trust" on our money and remove it as our official motto, it's a  crass violation of the first amenment to the constitution.

The No Religious Test Clause of the United States Constitution is found in Article VI, paragraph 3, and states that:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

"God" added to the Pledge of Allegiance and our money in the 1950's is not only ridiculously inconsequential to the concept of America "pushing religion" as you claim Sheila, but it has no relation whatsoever to religious test requirements for public office per the Constitution.  I like your spunk and appreciate your concern for our nation, but you are off base on this one.

There is one particular political party who uses religion as a political tool far too often and another who should probably use it more, but to say America pushes religion is simply not true.  It allows it ample opportunity to flourish, but it does not promote (and shouldn't).

You can argue that America shouldn't allow religion to flourish so easily, but I'd disagree with that as well.  We got a whole lot of problems that religion is not the cause of, even though so many of those problems can be traced back to people abusing religion for political purposes.  Religion can help with the solutions just as easily as it appears to do the opposite.

Karolina
Karolina's picture
sheilach2 wrote:We need to

sheilach2 wrote:
We need to reduce this overbloated, capatilistic, unsustainable, religion shoving, corrupt government into many SMALL countries so that NEVER AGAIN can they be a warmongering, corrupt, unrepresentative  empire.

This phrase sounds as if you are hoping for the total destruction of our country and its population. If the US were to be broken up into little countries, the US people would be forced to be corporate slaves without any civil rights or government protection—they would suddenly find themselves to be completely powerless people.

This is particularly dangerous in the red states, where the working class people are too addicted to FOX propaganda to see the big picture. They heartily believe that there should be a completely unregulated economy, a totaly free market, and no government. They are like foolish little children mesmerized by enticing lollipops and gumdrops—shown to them by the murderous pedophilic kidnapper. I can't maintain my peace of mind when I am confronted by how blind they are to the big picture and to their own vulnerability.

When Germany was being turned into a fascist country pre-WW2, free people were swept up into the stealthy propaganda there as well. It was a stroke of good fortune for humankind that FDR was elected to be the US president during that time, because any of the earlier ones would have happily allowed  the US to rejoin the British Empire. The Americans on top would continue to prosper, but those on the bottom would be new members of the wretched poor forever. FDR ruined the plans of those who instigated WW2, who were hoping that Russia & Germany would completely devastate each other into oblivion.

Roosevelt immediately brought the US out of its economic devastation, by regulating the banks w/ Glass-Steagall, restarting the economy with government credit, and bringing in new social programs to help US citizens create a better quality of life for themselves. Without FDR who knows how WW2 would have ended? We could have been born into a dark world of truly subjugated peoples, who had no way out. 

There is no spirited FDR anywhere at the moment, but breaking up our nation into disconnected bits, instead of working to heal the US government and economy, just makes us and everybody in the world more vulnerable to being the victims of plutocrasy with all of the characteristics that you are listing as being utterly undesirable. Only there would be no way to vote those people out of "office".

Some of us who post here have not given up hope for a healed, democratic, constitutional republic USA. We want to work to right all of the wrongs, and rebuild a strong government and a healthy economy again. The US citizens can have a wonderful future—under a corruption-free government.

douglaslee
douglaslee's picture
The Constitution is not

The Constitution is not sacred or perfect, that's why it has been amended, and needs to be now.

I don't see that happening, and I don't see any hope of achieving a consensus on anything. The john birch wing has taken over, and if they succeed in nov. with both houses and executive, two more scotus vacancies will be sowed for another 3 decades, meaning one party rule until eternity. War will be launched soon after, selective service rewritten to allow deferments again, and the chosen will have their warrior class.

Secession may be discussed again, not by the rednecks but by the civilized.

btw, as far as NATO, an underlying purpose is also to keep the member states from launching wars against each other. Greece, and Turkey are flashpoints for example. Cyprus is still a split country with an armed no man's land like Korea's.