Detroit to eliminate street lights?

5 posts / 0 new

The mayor of Detroit wants to eliminate 40% of the cities street lights. I say it's about time. I often drive through urban or suburban areas and wonder why government and business leaders feel they must light up unused areas like Yankee Stadium. Burning tons of coal to illuminate areas that nobody is using? What a waste. Save money, save energy who knows, if they turn off enough, maybe we will be able to see the stars again.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Comments

I'm sure many of the unused areas you have mentioned are lit up because of crime. How is Detroit and the suburbs doing with solar projects? (I'm originally from Michigan)

Out here in California, solar is beginning to pop up in many areas. Take for instance.....Huntington Beach Library has a very large parking lot. It is now covered with solar panels which not only supply them with their power for the library and baseball field, but also provides shade for the cars! Have you seen anything like this in Michigan?

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

The Yankees moved to DETROIT?

Holy smokes!

I'm going to sound like DDC on this one but... legalize drugs. Put people to work. Get non violent people OUT of jail. There's an ENTIRE industry just sitting out there that would be productive to our nation.

End the IMF, WTO, NAU, NAFTA... and free up the American worker.

Imagine what we could be if the powers that be took the chains off of us and allowed us to be FREE!?! Build things IN America FOR Americans... what a novel approach to problem solving.

Fletcher Christian's picture
Fletcher Christian

I tend to agree with the economic argument, though I was in Rockford, IL about the time when they discovered that increased lighting dropped crime something like 30%.

Not that it really matters, but the lights on stadiums have a very long cool down time - if the lights are "on" at Yankee Stadium at 1am they may have shut off the power at midnight.

doh1304's picture
doh1304
Quote MrsBJLee:

I'm sure many of the unused areas you have mentioned are lit up because of crime. How is Detroit and the suburbs doing with solar projects? (I'm originally from Michigan)

Out here in California, solar is beginning to pop up in many areas. Take for instance.....Huntington Beach Library has a very large parking lot. It is now covered with solar panels which not only supply them with their power for the library and baseball field, but also provides shade for the cars! Have you seen anything like this in Michigan?

I'm not from Mich. I read about the situation. I like the Huntington idea. Maybe it will catch on. I hope it wasn't too expensive. As far as crime goes, I'm not sure that all of those lights really reduce crime. Motion sensitive lighting would be much more effective. If the light went on only when someone was nearby it would get more attention.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Currently Chatting