Does Paul Ryan have an Ayn Rand problem?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thom Hartmann A...
Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture

Multi-millionaire Congressman – and author of one of the most radical right-wing budgets to ever pass the House of Representatives – Paul Ryan has a little Ayn Rand problem on his hands.  After catching flak from the Catholic Bishops who said his budget is more in line with his favorite philosopher Ayn Rand than Jesus Christ, Paul Ryan has tried to distance himself from previous remarks he’s made supporting Ayn Rand. 

But the Ayn Rand think tank known as The Atlas Society is applauding the Ryan budget as being, “very much in line with the direction that we stand for and would like to see the government go.”  The Atlas Society also released a 2005 speech by Paul Ryan in which Ryan admits the one person who influences him into a life of public service was Ayn Rand.  Now that explains a lot.

Comments

Fletcher Christian
Fletcher Christian's picture
I believe that Ayn Rand had

I believe that Ayn Rand had an "Ayn Rand" problem.

TheFirstLeftist
TheFirstLeftist's picture
Does Paul Ryan's budget

Does Paul Ryan's budget increase or decrease government spending?  Does the national debt increase or decrease under his plan?

When did Ayn Rand become the representative of free-market thinking?  She was not an economist.  She was not particularly consistent in her views.  It seems as though Mr. Hartmann and other progressives think that you discredit free market ideas by discrediting one person who claims to support them.  Why don't you attack Murray Rothbard or Ludwig von Mises?  Ayn Rand didn't invent the idea of limited government.  She didn't invent Austrian or free-market economics.  She was not even a libertarian.  She was an Objectivist.  Not that you can't be both.

chilidog
No argument here.  Now

No argument here.  Now persuade the conservative types to stop citing Rand and instead rely on von Mises and Rothbard (neither of whom I am particularly familiar with but am open to learning, as opposed to a writer of fantasy novels.)

.ren
.ren's picture
Perhaps Thom had this

Perhaps Thom had this conversation in mind when he wrote those two paragraphs:

Conversations With Great Minds: Brian Miller, Part 1Part 2

Karolina
Karolina's picture
I would think that interview

I would think that interview would give conservatives & libertarians something to think about—for a minute or two.