The election fix is on in Florida

76 posts / 0 new

As the Center for American Progress is reporting – Republican Governor Rick Scott is in the process of purging voter rolls in the Sunshine State of all the people he believes are “non-citizens.” But early lists compiled by the Governor’s office show numerous errors – with legal voters having their rights stripped away.

For example – on a list of 1,638 people flagged in Miami-Dade County as non-citizens – nearly 400 of which were actually citizens – and the number could actually be a lot higher as more people respond with proof of citizenship. The Miami Herald reports “Hispanic, Democratic and independent-minded voters are the most likely to be targeted,” while Whites and Republicans are less-likely to be removed off voting rolls.

Florida is a battleground state this election – and Governor Scott knows his job is to deliver it for Romney.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

The unemployed in Florida will probably be next on Governor Scott's list!

delete jan in iowa

Floridians must be a stupid bunch-why do they keep letting this happen?

lovecraft

As you know, most of the hispanic voters in Miami-Dade county are Cubans which vote predominantly republican. This latest Scott move will help the Dems. Scott must be insane.

THISAA's picture
THISAA
As you know, most of the hispanic voters in Miami-Dade county are Cubans which vote predominantly republican. This latest Scott move will help the Dems. Scott must be insane.
Maybe not so much.

Historically, when Republican presidents have won Florida, they have done so with the strong support of Cuban-Americans in Florida. Demographic changes in the state suggest, though, that may no longer be the case, according to Philip Williams in a Jan. 25 interview with The Christian Post.Williams explained that Cuban-Americans, who are traditionally Republican, comprise a smaller part of the state's Latino population than they have in the past. . . . In 1990, Cubans were 43 percent of the Latino population in Florida and in 2000 they were 31 percent. In the most recent census (2010), those of Cuban descent were 29 percent of the Latino population, while Puerto Ricans were 20 percent, followed by Mexicans (15 percent), South Americans (16 percent) and Central Americans (10 percent). Plus, non-Cuban Latinos, who support Democrats in higher numbers, comprised a majority of the electorate in the 2008 election.
Art's picture
Art

The only way the dems win is to keep the non citizens And felons on the voting rolls. That is why they keep saying the voter id laws are repressing the vote. They make it so dems can only vote once, the illegal dead, And felons can't at all.

workingman's picture
workingman

Why is it the Cubans in Florida do not object to proper voter identification and the other hispanics (according to the dems) do?

THISAA's picture
THISAA
Quote THISAA:

Why is it the Cubans in Florida do not object to proper voter identification and the other hispanics (according to the dems) do?

The government must issue proper voting identification to everyone who is legally able to vote. There are millions of Americans who can't afford to pay for an ID.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

The poor cant afford an id is bull. If they are on any type of government assistence they had to have an id to apply so what happened to it.. If they are young And in college they had to have an id to apply And attend school. If they are old they had to have an id to get medicare or ssi. That arguement is bull And you know it. An id is not a poll tax it is you proving who you are in order to vote.

workingman's picture
workingman

The states that want these laws have already agreed to that but then u need to tightenyahoo can get a us drivers license.

CollegeConservative's picture
CollegeConservative
Quote Bush_Wacker:

The government must issue proper voting identification to everyone who is legally able to vote. There are millions of Americans who can't afford to pay for an ID.

So these millions and millions of poor "disenfranchised" voters

do not drive, pay for everything with cash, use no prescription drugs, have never bought a can of spray paint, never use liquor, have no current job, do not get social security, medicare, medicaid, are not currently in a nursing home, have no library card, attend no education facilities, get no form of State or Federal public assistance, enter an airport, buy drain cleaner, rent an apartment or house, sell a vehicle, write a check, cash a check, purchase tobacco in any form, serve on jury duty, never buy a fishing or hunting license, get a bank account, do not vote in union elections, or apply for permision to hold a protest or rally.

B.S.

Produce a valid I.D. or don't vote. BTW they are provided Free of charge so you ought to have one just in case you are hassled by "the man". If you want to vote you have five full months to do this. Start now.

THISAA's picture
THISAA

My mother is 78 years old and has no photo ID. She hasn't driven in 10 years and has no need for a DL. She has no need for a photo ID. So you are not going to let her vote? What are you going to do about the absentee ballots where no ID is required? In CA, ID is provided by the DMV. With all the budget cuts, it takes hours to get anything done. Who's going to take all these old people to the DMV for ID they only need for voting. Medicare and SS are not photo ID. If tea Partiers had no photo ID, the right wouldn't be doing this.

lovecraft

Each state that passes a voter ID law has provisions for making it available. Where I live a photo ID is required every time I visit a doctor. That is just for legal reasons. I was also instructed to produce a photo ID for any medications as well as. How your mother gets around the requirements is a contradiction to the law. My guess is each state will provide you with information on how to obtain one.

THISAA's picture
THISAA

Here are the names of hundreds of cases of people convicted of voter fraud. Probably not all felons as suggested.

http://www.rnla.org/votefraud.asp

THISAA's picture
THISAA

I agree with you. Cubans are getting a good look at what they have been supporting.

Dano45's picture
Dano45

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/courier_times_news/opinion/guest/why-requiring-a-photo-id-to-vote-amounts-to-an/article_de7aed3f-3d18-52b1-9e3d-119dd77e6ab1.html

If this bill passes into law, Betty will be required to obtain official copies of both her birth and marriage certificates, because her name has changed, to prove that she is the person that she says she is. Then she will have to take them, plus her Social Security card and two proofs of residency, to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Even assuming that she can afford those costs, and has both the physical stamina and the know-how to acquire these documents, how does she get to the DMV if she doesn’t drive? Like many older people, Betty would be uncomfortable having to impose on someone to take her there.

On Election Day, if, unaware that she needs a photo ID, she walks to her polling place without it, she will NOT be permitted to vote as usual. In that case, the bill says that she will be allowed to use a provisional ballot. But Betty’s votes will NEVER be counted anyway unless she can get to the county courthouse within six days to sign an affidavit, according to the bill, affirming that she is “the individual who personally appeared before the district election board on the day of the election and cast a provisional ballot,” and that she “is indigent [extremely poor] and unable to obtain proof of identification without the payment of a fee.” This would be a humiliating and possibly an unconstitutional mandate.

Yeah, it's a piece of cake! All for the most important right that any American is given in this country. It is intended to keep the poor, the minorities, the aged from easily being able to cast a vote. It's just coincidence that the majority of those categories will NOT vote republican.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Instead of whining, maybe you should be filling your tank with gas and drive a few good fellow progressives to the proper location and help them obtain the required ID so they can vote for your candidate.

THISAA's picture
THISAA

Thom -- I read on another site today that one of the voters crossed off the Florida voting lists is a black 91-year old World War 2 veteran who was awarded a Bronze Star. Pretty outrageous, huh? The veterans groups & other patriotic Americans should be up in arms about this!

BARBARA NECKER's picture
BARBARA NECKER
Quote THISAA:

Instead of whining, maybe you should be filling your tank with gas and drive a few good fellow progressives to the proper location and help them obtain the required ID so they can vote for your candidate.

Maybe you should move to a communist country where your kind of voter repression tactics are better accepted. If you are so convinced that voter fraud runs rampant in America then the burden is on you to prove it and leave my constitutional rights the hell alone.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Having a rough day are we? I am just trying to prevent the election fraud that Thom Hartmann believes is so prevalant. Sit down, take a deep breath, relax, and work your way through post # 14. When you have disproven their convictions call us. I am sure both Thom and I will be happy when fraud is somewhat under control and elections are fair and equal for both the Republican and Democrat party.

THISAA's picture
THISAA
Quote THISAA:

Having a rough day are we? I am just trying to prevent the election fraud that Thom Hartmann believes is so prevalant. Sit down, take a deep breath, relax, and work your way through post # 14. When you have disproven their convictions call us. I am sure both Thom and I will be happy when fraud is somewhat under control and elections are fair and equal for both the Republican and Democrat party.

Do you forget that we live in AMERICA? You and anybody else asking me to prove that I'm a citizen in order to vote means that you find me guilty of fraud UNTIL I prove my innocence. Talk about an attack on my Liberty. I can't let that go, sorry.

The burden is on YOU to prove guilt, not the other way around. So if you find HUNDREDS of fraudulent voters then you prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law and let the MILLIONS of legitimate citizens alone to exercise our right to vote.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

I hope your meds are kicking in and you are calming down. Unfortunately you have lined up on the wrong side of the argument. If put to the people, asking for voter ID on the ballot wins. Let the states decide one by one. If you don't like the result you can move to a state that suits your liking. Perhaps Vermont may be a good choice.

THISAA's picture
THISAA

Sorry one of your posts got flagged as spam around the time you posted this, THISAA. It fell foul of the filter for "uggs" which we have since we have been spammed by people offering Ugg boots (often shortened to uggs), or fakes thereof, I'd guess you typoed 'suggested'.

SueN's picture
SueN
Quote THISAA:

I hope your meds are kicking in and you are calming down. Unfortunately you have lined up on the wrong side of the argument. If put to the people, asking for voter ID on the ballot wins. Let the states decide one by one. If you don't like the result you can move to a state that suits your liking. Perhaps Vermont may be a good choice.

So you are advocating changing our laws to guilty till proven innocent? Or only when it fits your agenda.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Bush wacker

We have to prove who we are to check out a library book, but not to vote.

No one is calling for guilty until proven innocent. We just want elections to be fair one person one vote. No illegal aliens, no felons, no double and triple voting.

as communities got bigger you no longer know everyone so the need to show id has been an issue for years.

Any place you go that has a security check point is guilty until proven innocent such as airports, military bases if you are a contractor, dams that offer tours.

Showing id to vote is like showing id to buy a bottle of vodka.

workingman's picture
workingman

We don't have to prove who we are in order to vote in my state. We don't even have to go to the polls. We don't even have to stand in a line and wait to dingle around with a Diebold voting machine. My state is much, much better than any of these other states. I hope none of these Republican Governors ever come to my state.

Art's picture
Art

It's curious how the anti-government, anti-regulation, anti national ID right wingers are so gung ho for this additional govt regulation.

lovecraft

It is a STATE regulation. If I do not like it, I can move to Arts state where they apparently don't care who you are and how many times you vote.

Bush Wacker, In this country you are required, therefore by your standards, (presumed guilty) to do anything on post #11. Please re-read, digest slowly, and respond.

THISAA's picture
THISAA

In arts state I am not even sure how they vote he said they don't have to go to the polling places, don't wait in line and show no id so I am guessing the entire state does mail in voting.

workingman's picture
workingman

What are you going to do about voter ID with internet voting?

lovecraft

[quote=Thom Hartmann Administrator]

As the Center for American Progress is reporting – Republican Governor Rick Scott is in the process of purging voter rolls in the Sunshine State of all the people he believes are “non-citizens.” But early lists compiled by the Governor’s office show numerous errors – with legal voters having their rights stripped away.

Okay this is a legitimate concern especially those who get out of prison and need to hire a lawyer to get their voting rights back which is BS if you served your time. Once you get out of jail your voting rights are restored. No question, no debate.

For example – on a list of 1,638 people flagged in Miami-Dade County as non-citizens – nearly 400 of which were actually citizens – and the number could actually be a lot higher as more people respond with proof of citizenship. The Miami Herald reports “Hispanic, Democratic and independent-minded voters are the most likely to be targeted,” while Whites and Republicans are less-likely to be removed off voting rolls.

Yes & no, the Globalists want to get many illegal immigrints to vote cuz they will give their haplophobic (anti-gun) vote in exchange for their illegal welfare benefits. Rick Scott might be just putting the kybosh on this. I know Alex Jones has talked extensively about this going on in Texas with the Globalists.

Florida is a battleground state this election – and Governor Scott knows his job is to deliver it for Romney.

Romney/Obama is one puppet Globalist any better than the other. You got Ron Paul still in the running and Virgil Goode on the Constitution Party. You've got more than one globalist-puppet choice this year.

antikakistocrat's picture
antikakistocrat
Quote workingman:Bush wacker We have to prove who we are to check out a library book, but not to vote. No one is calling for guilty until proven innocent. We just want elections to be fair one person one vote. No illegal aliens, no felons, no double and triple voting. as communities got bigger you no longer know everyone so the need to show id has been an issue for years. Any place you go that has a security check point is guilty until proven innocent such as airports, military bases if you are a contractor, dams that offer tours. Showing id to vote is like showing id to buy a bottle of vodka.

You are all missing the point that I'm trying to make. Of course everyone who votes HAS to be an American citizen. Everyone has to have some proof that they are an American citizen. Every American citizen should be provided all of the proof needed by either the Feds or the State. As an American citizen my ability to vote should never be infinged upon by some rule that's purpose is obviously to get me to stay home. By the time every citizen is 18 years old they should be provided with whatever legal and neccesary ID they need. The honus should not be on them to have to jump through hoops to obtain one.

A government issued voter ID card should be mandatory just like a birth certificate is. Automatic upon the 18th birthday just like a social security card is at birth. Why is this so hard? By putting the burden on the American citizen to "prove" they are a citizen you are in violation of an American liberty. We have computers now, you know that thing you're typing on? Databases are an easy way to match voters with ID's. The things they are trying to do right now are nothing but a voter supression tactic and if you don't admit to that then that's a part of the problem. I don't want anybody claiming to be a citizen illegally voting for a Democrat anymore than I want one voting for a Republican.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

I a small organization like project veritas canget there hands on somany ballots in 20states without Ida don't u think that's a problem? What I I had the man power o oh lets say a union couldn't I easilyOuse that organization to commit mass voter Feased easily? Then what about local elections a hundred votes in a series race makes a big difference and can drown out the people's voices. If there is even one fraugulent vote ourliberty is being striped away.

CollegeConservative

Completely unintelligable.

Art's picture
Art

Voter fraud is a right wing red herring. Please list verified instances in the past 20 years of voting fraud-not voter registration fraud. My God-getting people to vote here is like pulling teeth and jury duty. Why is anybody going to go to the trouble for fraud? And compare any verified instances of voter fraud to the hundreds of millions of votes cast in the past 10 years and make your case it is a problem worthy of all this attention. Also, how about paying people $10K if they are wrongly removed from voting rolls?

lovecraft
Quote CollegeConservative:

I a small organization like project veritas canget there hands on somany ballots in 20states without Ida don't u think that's a problem? What I I had the man power o oh lets say a union couldn't I easilyOuse that organization to commit mass voter Feased easily? Then what about local elections a hundred votes in a series race makes a big difference and can drown out the people's voices. If there is even one fraugulent vote ourliberty is being striped away.

Yeah, make this more coherent.

antikakistocrat's picture
antikakistocrat

Now I get it. You are doing all of your posting from your phone while you are "working hard" for one of those many employers. You certainly are on the blog for someone who puts in all of those overtime hours.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker
Quote lovecraft:

Voter fraud is a right wing red herring. Please list verified instances in the past 20 years of voting fraud-not voter registration fraud. My God-getting people to vote here is like pulling teeth and jury duty. Why is anybody going to go to the trouble for fraud? And compare any verified instances of voter fraud to the hundreds of millions of votes cast in the past 10 years and make your case it is a problem worthy of all this attention. Also, how about paying people $10K if they are wrongly removed from voting rolls?

Read 'em and weep.

THISAA's picture
THISAA
Read 'em and weep.
Tell us what it says. I don't want to click on a link when there's somebody who could be expressing it in person.

Art's picture
Art
Quote THISAA:
Quote lovecraft:

Read 'em and weep.

You do realize that almost all of those are just human error. It happens all of the time. You move to the other side of town and you have to change your voting district. If you don't and somebody catches the mistake, busted! There will always be some kind of voter fraud I'm sure but it's going to be such a tiny percentile that it's negligible. As someone above stated though, even one vote being cast fraudulently is a great blow to democracy. Having said that, which is more of a blow and or more of a crime? Hundreds of fraudulent votes or tens of thousands of supressed votes? Which is a bigger crime? Casting a fraudulent vote or intentionally keeping thousands of voters away from the polls?

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Your buddy Thom sez: "There is not one documented case of voter fraud". "No Republican I have ever asked can produce one name of someone convicted of voter fraud" He spent the better part on one hour yesterday telling us that NO felon or illegal would EVER commit voter fraud. He has repeated that lie many times. I am sure you will agree, the best way to prevent, or at least minimize these "human errors", is to provide photo ID at the polls. Gas tank full yet?

Read 'em again and weep.

THISAA's picture
THISAA

Learn to use your mouse.

THISAA's picture
THISAA

Er, THISAA, you might want to actually click on the "votr fraud" buttons behind some of these names on the list. I clicked on a couple, and none mention anything about a prosecution and conviction. Many names were extracted as groups from stories about people involved in voter supression protest actions. Just because these guys at mia.com are lawyers doesn't give them a lot of importance or credibility. First, they're lawyers. More importantly, they're Republican lawyers.

Do you think you can find us some names of people who have been prosecuted and convicted of voter fraud? Accusations are meaningless until there are convictions.

I'm not weeping.

Art's picture
Art

Here's something that might help us with this quest. This article tells us that during the period from 2000-2010, 21 states had 1 or 2 records of some kind of "voter irregularities". "some of these 21 states have the strictest form of voter ID laws based on a finding of 2 or less convictions in ten years. Five states had a total of three convictions over a ten year period. Rhode Island had 4 convictions for the same 10 years. Taking a close look at the RNLA data shows 30 states, including the District of Columbia had 3 or less voter fraud convictions for a 10 year period. " This might be a good place to start an investigation.

Why don't you run along now and see if you can track down some of these names for us? It shouldn't be too difficult. There are very few of them.

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:

Here's something that might help us with this quest. This article tells us that during the period from 2000-2010, 21 states had 1 or 2 records of some kind of "voter irregularities". "some of these 21 states have the strictest form of voter ID laws based on a finding of 2 or less convictions in ten years. Five states had a total of three convictions over a ten year period. Rhode Island had 4 convictions for the same 10 years. Taking a close look at the RNLA data shows 30 states, including the District of Columbia had 3 or less voter fraud convictions for a 10 year period. " This might be a good place to start an investigation.

Why don't you run along now and see if you can track down some of these names for us? It shouldn't be too difficult. There are very few of them.

*Please note that the convictions or prosecutions listed here are not intended to be a comprehensive list of all instances of vote fraud. The RNLA conducted a limited survey to indicate whether vote fraud charges have been filed in states across the country since 2000. We looked for at least one example in each state. For examples of vote fraud on an almost daily basis, read the RNLA blog.

Read 'em again & again and weep.

another mouse exercise for you

http://rnla.org/blogs/blogs/public/default.aspx

THISAA's picture
THISAA
Read 'em again & again and weep.
Do you bother to read the links you post? Cases. I want cases where people have actually been shown to fraudulently vote. I want you to tell us about them. Can't you show that one little thing? Are your Republican lawyers the only group that is hawking this meaningless list around? Don't give me a useless link. If you have some cases to tell us about, then tell us about them. If there are cases, why aren't we seeing names and details in every right-wing propaganda rag there is? Do you think we are going to be impressed because some right-wing fanatics who are desperate to justify these voter suppression laws happen to be lawyers? Are the Republican National Lawyers a subsidiery of PrisonPlant.com? Are the Bilderbergers behind this?

Art's picture
Art

Is this guy living anywhere near Crawford, TX?

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

On a side note, a Federal judge has blocked some of the laws on restricting groups from registering voters in Floriduh. Because the right to vote is fundamental to democracy, blah blah blah blah.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Art........if that repugnut lunatic was going to provide examples he would have already done it. Maybe his kind needs pictures to understand what you are asking him? He, like several others around here aren't worth wasting time on.

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter

I have a better idea: why don't we solve the problem and ensure that people aren't here who shouldn't vote? How's that mandatory e-verify bill coming along in the House?

chilidog

If u need ID to return something to Walmart shouldn't u need one to vote?

CollegeConservative

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.