Elizabeth "Pocahontas" Warren

5 posts / 0 new

From Commentary magazine: http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2012/05/03/elizabeth-warren-and-modern-liberalism/

Warren, the Democratic Senate candidate challenging Scott Brown in Massachusetts, was the subject of a rather bizarre controversy this week when it was revealed she claimed Native American heritage as her career in academia proceeded, only to drop the dubious claim once she reached the pinnacle of her academic career track: Harvard Law faculty. She has not handled the controversy well, to say the least. And the wreckage of her campaign’s attempts at spinning this make you want to look away.

But don’t. Because Warren is playing an important role in our political discourse: she is the ghost of liberalism future. Warren’s alleged use of affirmative action, if true, would have to be the most egregious abuse of the system at the expense of minorities we’ve seen yet. Elizabeth Warren is, as a white woman, statistically speaking very much a member of this country’s majority. The only category in which she is a true minority is wealth: Elizabeth Warren is very, very rich.

The sad part about all this is that Warren is clearly intelligent and dedicated to her (redistributionist) cause. Back in August, Christopher Caldwell wrote a piece on her in the Weekly Standard in which he praised her earlier writing as “brilliant and counterintuitive work.” Though many on the right object to Warren’s politics, no one thought she was ill-equipped intellectually for the important debate on economic policy now sweeping the public sphere.

Yet in the age of Obama, this is how campaigns are run. Warren may have interesting things to say, but she, too, has become something of a liberal cliché. Despite her obvious smarts, she has reflexively fallen back on charges of sexism, even when they are so ridiculous as to make you cringe. If Warren, a rich, white, Harvard professor, is a victim, everyone is.

Why does this matter? Because it reveals that the left thinks affirmative action is a joke, another cudgel with which to attack political opponents at the expense of minorities who might, thanks to liberalism’s insistence on keeping students in failed school districts, actually put the policy to some good use. And because if Elizabeth Warren is unable to advance coherent liberal policy arguments, then there may be none to advance.

Coalage1

Comments

Great post!

Marlin60

LMAO! 90% of congress is where they are because of back room deals and getting on one's knees and you call out Warren for possibly stretching the affirmative action cards? Stop,,,,you're killin me!!!!!!!

Because Warren is playing an important role in our political discourse: she is the ghost of liberalism future. Warren’s alleged use of affirmative action, if true, would have to be the most egregious abuse of the system at the expense of minorities we’ve seen yet.

Egregious abuse of the system at the expense of minoties we've seen yet? Hahahahahaha.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Another innocuous," middle of the roader" Coalage special. I generally ignore his little road appleseed plantings, but this one's over the top. Nothing like spreading another neoconservative pseudo intellectual version of a smear attack as if it were a balanced analysis, yet when inspected closely, as with pretty much everything neconservatives have served up since post 911, it's carefully crafted to be without any semblance of even handedness.

Quote Commentary About Us:

COMMENTARY is America’s premier monthly magazine of opinion and a pivotal voice in American intellectual life. Since its inception in 1945, and increasingly after it emerged as the flagship of neoconservatism in the 1970s, the magazine has been consistently engaged with several large, interrelated questions: the fate of democracy and of democratic ideas in a world threatened by totalitarian ideologies; the state of American and Western security; the future of the Jews, Judaism, and Jewish culture in Israel, the United States, and around the world; and the preservation of high culture in an age of political correctness and the collapse of critical standards.

Elizabeth Warren is not being criticized for lying about her roots, though typical right wing idolators might be quick to believe that given the neocon pitch to this commentary. No, she's being criticized for being a progressive Harvard Law professor who came from a mixed background in Oklahoma and who's written openly about the scams the rich have put on the working population of this nation through credit cards and housing loans. Pathetic.

BRAINTREE, Mass. (AP) — Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren said Wednesday she listed herself as having Native American heritage in law school directories because she hoped to meet people with similar roots.

Warren, a Harvard Law School professor, said she never tried to use minority status to get teaching jobs and criticized the campaign of Republican Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown for suggesting that may have been the case.

“I listed myself in the directory in the hopes that might mean that I would be invited to a luncheon, a group, something that might happen with people who are like I am,” Warren said during a campaign appearance in Braintree, according to the Boston Herald.

The listing did not produce any such contacts, and she later stopped using it, Warren said.

Law school directories from the Association of American Law Schools from 1986 to 1995 put Warren on the association’s list of “minority law teachers” when she was teaching at the University of Texas and the UniversityofPennsylvania.

According to the directories, the list is made up of “those legal educators who stated they were members of a minority group.”

Warren, who grew up in Oklahoma, has said she’s proud of her family ties to Cherokee and Delaware tribes — a heritage she said she learned through stories passed down to her from older family members.

But the neocons conclude

Quote Seth Mendel:

it reveals that the left thinks affirmative action is a joke, another cudgel with which to attack political opponents at the expense of minorities who might, thanks to liberalism’s insistence on keeping students in failed school districts, actually put the policy to some good use.

.ren's picture
.ren

She's what, 1/32 native American? H*ll the mascot for the Atlanta Braves from the 70's probably had more native American heritage than that. I know I do. I wonder what our Presidential "constitutional scholar" listed in his records. Oh! Thats right his records are sealed.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

Currently Chatting

Is George Zimmerman Right?

It's time to listen to George Zimmerman. Seriously, and I'll explain in a minute.