Florida is at it again – kicking minorities off the voting rolls

10 posts / 0 new

State election officials are currently working to throw hundreds of thousands of non-citizens off the voting rolls ahead of the 2012 election. But supervisors looking at preliminary lists have found numerous errors that could lead to legal citizens losing their right to vote in the Sunshine State.

A similar effort in 2000 to purge convicted felons off voter rolls led to thousands of innocent African American voters in Florida getting turned away at the polls. Republicans know the best way they can win elections is to keep Americans from voting – that explains these recent actions in Florida and the numerous Voter ID laws being passed in around the nation that will kick millions of minority, elderly, and young voters off the rolls.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

Good thing we're getting early scrutiny of this phenomenon. I hope this doesn't disappear into the media deadfile.

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:

Good thing we're getting early scrutiny of this phenomenon. I hope this doesn't disappear into the media deadfile.

It's scandalous the DOJ wasn't actively investigating these new laws a year ago to see if they violate any USSC voting rights decisions. Even if they bring suit against these states now, will the issue be resolved before the election?

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Even if they bring suit against these states now, will the issue be resolved before the election?
I would be happy with just a bunch of public disclosure. Resolution before November? Probably not.

Art's picture
Art

No disclosure before the election-just like the secret Super PAC donors.

lovecraft

An injunction could stop the suppression. The Brandeis Center for Justice is pursuing this, I think. However, since court vacancies have been filibustered and the neofascists from cheney and kochs hold sway, it's kind of a coin flip, heads you get a judge that believes in jurisprudence and tails you get a Christain knights of the klan member that doesn't believe in voting rights for non-aryans.

Conundrum: Iranians are aryan, would they be admitted to the new order of klansmen?

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Head-scratcher

Art's picture
Art

Iranians were the first aryans, so maybe the klan should appoint an imam, or would they like a shah? Anyhow, 90,000 blacks were denied their voting rights in 2000 in the state of FL.

For that accomplishment the state's AG got promoted into a position in w's administration.

I think Jimmy Carter ought to be sought to oversea FL's election.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Tell Holder: Protect Every Citizen's Right to Vote!

Profound Hatred for Democracy

They never stopped being "at it again". Same old crap even if they prove voter tampering what's the dif. Same old hacks will want to protect the integrity, ahem cough cough, of the US and cover it up. Harris cheated thousands of voters out of their rights and never even got scolded let alone arrested. Enough votes to not even require a re-count. What do the dimwit Dems do? Blame Nader! Idiots can't expect to have fair elections as long as you're cowards and afraid of the bg bad GOPerverts. Nader and Kucinich are the only true Progressives and they haven't a snowballs chance in hell over the repub lites. Florida is at it again? Look around, last time I checked there were 50 states and they all have Diebold and sleasy greedy moneysluts with a lone agenda of making profits. Through deregulation and selling war paraphernalia and that only happens when you are selected to legislate. Like junior in 2000.

DdC's picture
DdC

Is there a source for this?

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

Currently Chatting

Our kids are counting on us to reverse austerity.

According to UNICEF, even in the world's richest countires, children remain “the most enduring victims” of the recession. In the last six years, 2.6 million more kids have fallen below the poverty line, and more than half of them live right here in the United States.