Fox’s Geraldo Rivera To Cable News: Stop Using The Phrase ‘Illegal Aliens’

14 posts / 0 new

In a column posted on fox News Laino, Geraldo Rivera lambasts his cable news colleagues for their repeated use of the term “illegal aliens” when describing undocumented immigrants from Latin America. “Cable news and talk radio are making a killing demonizing undocumented immigrants,” he begins the column. “In terms of ratings, few issues resonate as reliably.” http://www.mediaite.com/online/foxs-geraldo-rivera-to-cable-news-stop-using-the-phrase-illegal-aliens/

Demonizing undocumented immigrants, Rivera asserts, is good for business. He says the story is “cheap” and “easy to illustrate” because “ample file footage exists in every news outlet’s video library of young Latinos jumping the border wall or wading across the Rio Grande.”

“The typical report,” Rivera explains, “consists of a TV anchor or radio talk host lamenting either how our nation is being drowned by the brown tsunami from south-of-the-border, how they are sucking the nation’s life blood or how one of the invading Latino hordes committed a crime, which is far more egregious than if a citizen committed the same crime, ‘because they had no right to be here!’”

Rivera then takes aim at what he sees as an egregious combination of two pejoratives making the phrase “illegal aliens.” He calls upon cable news networks to stop using the phrase altogether:

I have a lawyer’s reason for wanting media outlets like my own to ban or at least modify the phrase. Absent a finding by a judicial or administrative body, it assumes a legal conclusion, that a person has no right to be in the United States. Given that every person whose resident status is questioned has the presumed right to a hearing on the matter, with an appellate process following a negative result, isn’t the media’s use of the expression as lazy as assuming the guilt of a person accused of every other crime?

It’s not the first time Rivera has criticized cable news networks, including his own, for their coverage of the immigration debate. Several months ago, Rivera got into a heated exchange with co-worker Eric Bolling, saying he found Bolling’s attitude towards illegal immigrants to be “way too hard-lined, way too draconian,” and not “in any sense humane or American.”

Sacramento Dave's picture
Sacramento Dave

Comments

How is crossing a nation's border with out required permission and working without proper documentation, using false identification to work or collect welfare not an illegal act?

Marlin60

In another discussion on the topic of the term "illegal aliens" a few months ago, an argument was made that suggested using two other classifications instead. Use "undocumented workers" for those who came across the border to work without going through the legal immigration process, and "overstayers" for the rest of the aliens working without proper authorization. The "overstayers" entered legally on a tourist visa, on a student visa, or were part of a temporary work program and did not stop working and leave the country according to terms of their visa. Lumping these "overstayers" together with the unauthorized border crossers clouds the issue. The "overstayers" came here legally, but just did not leave when they were supposed to.

There is, of course, a third group ... family members who also came across the border but do not work. Some in this group are enrolled in one level or another of the educational system at public expense. I'd rather see these family members get educated while they are here than deprive them of the chance to better themselves and their family.

We are supposed to be a compassionate nation and people ... what happened to the welcoming sentiments posted at the Statue of Liberty and at Ellis Island ? The next step in dealing with this problem as a whole should be passing the Dream Act. After that, some sort of amnesty program needs to be implemented. And we should also stop deporting undocumented spouses or children of US citizens, which is being done at a record rate by this administration (for some sort of political gain).

miksilvr
How is crossing a nation's border with out required permission and working without proper documentation, using false identification to work or collect welfare not an illegal act?
As I understand it, it is not illegal to be in the United States without documentation. It is illegal to re-enter the US after having been deported. I don't know if this is true. I am not a lawyer (and I don't think you are, either).

Corrrection. It is not a felony.

Art's picture
Art

We should spam his show with this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_61hzuGGJX0

Now don't you tell anybody... what Ima gonna do....

antikakistocrat's picture
antikakistocrat

Here is the question: What are we going to call them? We can't call them immigrants because that would be insulting to immigrants. My brother in law is an immigrant (Cuba). He had to go through quite an ordeal to become a US citizen. My sister in law is an immigrant (Thailand). My best friend's son in law is an immigrant (El Salvador). They had to do quite a bit to comply with US immigration laws. So we can't call someone who ignored our laws and invaded our country immigrants as well. They are not the same. They are not equals. One is legal the other violated our laws, our border and snuck in.

So what do we call them if not illegals? How about invaders, is that okay?

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Just call them "illegals". Isn't it illegal, since 9/11, for even an American citizen to re-enter the States without coming through a check point?

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Here is the question: What are we going to call them? We can't call them immigrants because that would be insulting to immigrants.
don't you think you're misdirecting you comment? The remark came from Geraldo. Ask him.

You have a First Amendment right to call immigrants anything you want. We would expect nothing less.

Art's picture
Art

Entering the U.S. without permission is a crime they are criminals and should be treated as such. Instead of illegal aliens, even though that is what they are maybe we should call them criminals. Staying longer, they are legally allowed to is also a crime and should be treated as such.

All of the people that are in the country illegally or have stayed beyond their authorized time should be deported along with all of their family to include any children that were born here. the children as American citizens can return once they are 18 years of age if they like but they have to go until they are of legal age to care for themselves.

the argument is that we can not deport all of the people that are here illegally because there are to many of them is also crap. It will take a while for that to happen but we can make a big dent into the problem by deporting them every time they are stopped for a traffic violation, register their kids for school or show up at a hospital.

workingman's picture
workingman
Instead of illegal aliens, even though that is what they are maybe we should call them criminals
You can call them anything you want to. It's OK with me.

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:
Instead of illegal aliens, even though that is what they are maybe we should call them criminals
You can call them anything you want to. It's OK with me.

Cool. So you are against the movement that would make "illegal" hate speech?

rigel1's picture
rigel1

yes im against that because you are making it more comfortable for them to break the law everytime you pass laws protecting them or giving them rights. Our border security is so bad that an invading army could sneak across.

CollegeConservative's picture
CollegeConservative

Why do you have to get permission to enter the US. Do you have to get permission to enter France? Do you have to get permission to enter Mexico? Aren't you allowed to be in this country for a certain amount of time before getting any kind of legal status? I know that when you fly to Mexico you are given a certificate that shows you are there for tourist reasons but you don't have to "apply" for it. It comes with the price of your ticket.

Isn't it our duty to make sure that visitors to our country have the same legal protections from crime and discrimination that we ourselves have? "Illegals" to me would mean someone who is here with the intent to stay in the country longer than for just a visit. I think this whole thing has spiraled out of control. Wanting to keep the criminal element of Mexico out of the US has turned into wanting to keep everybody out of the US.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker
So you are against the movement that would make "illegal" hate speech?
Depends.
In law, hate speech is any speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it may incite violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected individual or group.
I loved it when Tom Metzger and WAR was sued for $12.5 million here in my home town. I think the laws are handled pretty well the way they are now.

Art's picture
Art