Germany is telling major oil corporations to get the frack out

2 posts / 0 new

As Spiegel is reporting today – Germany’s Environment Minister and Economy Minister have bowed to pressure of environmental groups and put the brakes on the controversial practice known as hydraulic fracking – which injects chemicals into the ground to break up rocks containing natural gas.

Here in the United States, fracking is rampant – with study after study showing that fracking chemicals poison drinking water and may even lead to earthquakes - which is why the Germans don’t want it.

Germany now joins France and Bulgaria as European nations that have banned fracking – and if only oil barons didn’t control our Congress – we’d be on that short list of nations too that value the safety of their people rather than the profits of energy corporations.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...
Dec. 29, 2009 10:59 am

So I wonder....are we going to be the last to ban fracking? What do you think it's going to take to stop this? It's getting out of hand! I bet there is a fracking map on the internet that shows where all the fracking is going on and I bet it is spreading like a wildfire across the nation.

MrsBJLee's picture
Feb. 17, 2012 9:45 am

Latest Headlines

Tsipras beings ‘race to reform' following Greek confidence vote

The first set of 48 reforms which include tax hikes and pension cuts needs to be turned into law by October 15

Refugee Kickstarter Nearing 5,000 Beds

A Kickstarter campaign was formally launched Monday, and by Thursday morning the initial goal of $735,000 had been met

ISIS Training Russian-Born Fighters In Afghanistan: Report

Some of the trainers include U.S. and U.K. citizens, the diplomat said

Why the Media isn’t Covering Citizens United

Americans have always been skeptical of corporate power. In fact, this country was founded by a revolt against the biggest corporation of its day - the British East India Company.

You know how conservatives are always going on about how the Boston Tea Party was an example of America’s anti-government roots?