Google gave us the tools to pop their Filter Bubble in January

6 posts / 0 new

You can turn off the personalized search results now: http://bit.ly/MKQdc0

You can also opt out of Google advertisements based on search: http://bit.ly/MKQGLt

For Facebook, after having deleted and blocked all Facebook-related cookies in Firefox, Internet Explorer and Google Chrome, I use Opera for everything I do on Facebook, or on sites that use Facebook for logins or comments. It allows me to segregate the rest of my Internet experience from Facebook, and Opera has a handy-dandy Facebook ad blocker addon available, so it cleans up my screen real-estate too!

That how we fix this.

Technology got us into this mess, and using it wisely can get us out of it.

tombetz

Comments

I agree with Tom Betz. You can block all ads. I don't get any, on Facebook, Chrome, gmail, or anywhere. AdBlocker, free software. You can set up your browser, including Chrome, to delete cookies on closing the browser. I use LastPass to log me in everywhere so the lack of cookies doesn't affect anything. You should always close Facebook and Google or gmail when not using them. I use duckduckgo for browsing, unless I actually need the things that Google pushes. Duckduckgo does no tracking.

Of course, Facebook is still selectively pushing things to me. I think it's a bandwidth/server question. They don't want to pay to feed everything to everyone. It's annoying because it doesn't allow you to change your pattern or train the algorithm to be a little more sophisticated about you.

The amount of marketing information gathered will make it almost impossible to regulate this (too profitable and such a relatively cheap and more accurate way to understand the marketplace), so users have to educate themselves on how not to be tracked. Maybe this won't happen for the users following the Kardashians. Not sure whether it matters since they are also avid consumers.

Sophos security has lots of advice for users. If you follow them on Facebook you will get updates. Same with TechCrunch.

One more thing: don't do any apps on Facebook. I have one app: Kiva microloans. Any entertainment or sharing app wants to track you and your friends. Don't let them.

Oleander

It's not as simple as blocking ads. While I agree with doing that, blocking ads won't fix the Eli Pariser bubble problem.

However, the measures I pointed to, turning off personalized search, will do that, at least for Google.

And I have found using Opera exclusively for Facebook, and blocking/deleting Facebook cookies in my other browsers, very effectively keeps Facebook away from my other browsing. Plus, Opera does have a great Facebook ad blocker addon.

Apparently, none of Thom's producers are reading the message board, as he hasn't mentioned this... and I can't call in.

tombetz
Quote tombetz:

It's not as simple as blocking ads. While I agree with doing that, blocking ads won't fix the Eli Pariser bubble problem.

However, the measures I pointed to, turning off personalized search, will do that, at least for Google.

And I have found using Opera exclusively for Facebook, and blocking/deleting Facebook cookies in my other browsers, very effectively keeps Facebook away from my other browsing. Plus, Opera does have a great Facebook ad blocker addon.

Apparently, none of Thom's producers are reading the message board, as he hasn't mentioned this... and I can't call in.

Somebody mentioned it but Thom said 99% of Google users wouldnt understand it.

I did it back in Feb. but I could swear somebody said it had a deadline of March or something.

Erik300's picture
Erik300

The problem is marketing wants these things even if engineering doesn't. And with public companies the CEO is always worried the clueless stockholders will "why aren't you doing this" if you aren't. Publicly held companies have turned into modern day Frankenstein monsters. So even if the founders of Google didn't want this stuff the board of directors overrides.

Similarly I had to implement a patent program where I worked that engineering was against because board of directors wanted it in case another company thought we were infringing on their patents they might be infringing ours. Total misuse of the patent system. The programmers, who were bad enough at putting comments in code, had to keep a journal. The patent attorney would review them and select things he thought might be patentable. And this was all to suit the stockholders.

captbebops's picture
captbebops
Quote tombetz:You can turn off the personalized search results now: http://bit.ly/MKQdc0

You can also opt out of Google advertisements based on search: http://bit.ly/MKQGLt

For Facebook, after having deleted and blocked all Facebook-related cookies in Firefox, Internet Explorer and Google Chrome, I use Opera for everything I do on Facebook, or on sites that use Facebook for logins or comments. It allows me to segregate the rest of my Internet experience from Facebook, and Opera has a handy-dandy Facebook ad blocker addon available, so it cleans up my screen real-estate too!

I gave some tips on web privacy in this thread: http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2012/05/fascistbook-ipo

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Currently Chatting

End. Fracking. Now!

California is already dealing with the worst drought in that state's history. So, the last thing residents needed was to learn that some of their dwindling water supply has been contaminated.