Gun Control (Oldie but a Goodie)

25 posts / 0 new

I know this topic was brought up on the radio show a week ago... but it's been stuck in my mind like a sore on the roof of your mouth that you can't stop licking... burnt from pizza kinda sore.

I've "boiled it down to this", if I am wrong... let me know. I'm serious. Maybe I am wrong about this.

It seems to me to be a dangerous thing to align one's ideology so close to that of Chairman Mao, Pol Pot, Stalin, Hitler... to name a few.

One of the ideologies that they ALL have in common is a uniformed UN-ARMING of their populous.

On the other end of the spectrum, the United States has over the years, WANTED their citizens to be armed. Instead of a mass wiping out of a huge portion of their citizenship... our nation has been comprised of the MAJORITY wanting to "free" the minority. To rise up. To equalize the justice system. We "fight" injustice AT THE TOP. Because people without "power" can't really be unjust, can they? So it's "TOP-DOWN" injustice that we fight... NOT the other way around.

Whenever the United States holds down it's people... it's "TOP-DOWN". Not grass roots. I mean, it's been the bad leadership that has had the overwhelming majority of time and the POWER to do so. Slavery, Japanese labor camps, destroying the family unit and therefore insuring a poor, under educated city population.

The "people" of the United States are cool. The most recent example of just how different the "PEOPLE" are from their so called representative "POLITICIANS"... is how WE reacted towards Hurricane Katrina.

I don't know ANYONE (who doesn't at least know SOMEONE) who didn't donate money and goods to charitable organizations to help the people of New Orleans. That's pretty cool. It's one of the things that STILL gives me hope. Now compare that to how our GOVERNMENT treated the people of New Orleans... not so good.

I recently purchased a gun. The first time that I've owned a gun in about 20 years. My wife's business is in a crime ridden area and her building has been broken into TWICE in the last 6 months. So... I worry about her. I bought her a gun. I'm not happy about it. But I feel that it's the responsible thing to do. It's actually what the responding officer suggested we do. He said that there's NO way that he would be able to respond quick enough. We would HAVE to protect ourself until he would be able to arrive.

I can only imagine the immense feeling of regret I would have if I didn't do "something" to protect my spouse. (I know... statistics show that she'll probably SHOOT me with it rather than "protect" herself from some bad teenagers... I've made an informed decision. I feel comfortable with the decision that I've made.)

PS

Now some of the things the guy across the counter said to me while I was purchasing the weapon was VERY disturbing! Maybe I'll address that later.

Fletcher Christian's picture
Fletcher Christian

Comments

I think you did the right thing. You have every right to protect yourselves. Just make sure that she is well tutored in the safe handling of a weapon. There are far too many people who injure themselves when mishandling a gun. Hopefully you never need to use it.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker
Quote Fletcher Christian:

One of the ideologies that they ALL have in common is a uniformed UN-ARMING of their populous.

That is very true and speaks to axiom that we all know in our heart.

"Only your ENEMY wishes you to be unarmed"

Calperson's picture
Calperson

A polite society is a armed society

CollegeConservative's picture
CollegeConservative

Bottom line: Americans have an unhealthy obsession with guns. It coincidentally accompanies a dysfunctional attitude towards sex and love.

mdhess's picture
mdhess
Quote CollegeConservative:

So very true. If Trayvon Martin had even an inkling of suspicion that George Zimmerman was a "Concealed Carry" he may have thought twice about jumping him from between houses and bashing his face in with his fists.

The more people that are concealed carry the less violence there will be on the streets.

Calperson's picture
Calperson

Trayvon Martin identified a stalker that would not have stalked had he not been armed. I don't know the laws regarding tasers, but they should be available to the public. To allow guns that kill but deny guns that neutralize is a sick society.

Fletcher, has your wife thought about the circumstaces of a confrontation? I mean is it just shoot an intruder, or challenge the intruder with a verbal warning while armed, or determine if the intruder is armed? Or as in TX just kill all thieves unarmed or not, because property that IS insured is more valuable than life.

Another consideration is your race. A black women was just sentenced to 20 years for drawing a gun in fear of her life, and firing warning shots. A white guy is allowed to kill when not even threatened. 20 years for threatening and preserving life of a deranged soul, and freedom for the rambo executioner of an innocent soul. It's your country, live with it.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

douglaslee - that did indeed factor into the equation. We've bought the gun... just haven't bought the bullets. I don't know why... but, I really don't want to disclose what the guy behind the counter told us. You're on the right path, though. Man... not fun at all. REAL world problems. Not fun. I have a "gut" feeling that the officer who suggested to get a gun and the guy behind the counter ACTUALLY "know" what they're talking about.

It scares me. It really does. Let's put it this way... I did not buy a weapon after almost 20 years of consciously NOT having one, lightly.

Calperson - C'mon man... don't be jerky. ("POT... meet the "KETTLE".) PLEASE stay on point.

--------------

I don't know... I don't think me or my wife could kill anybody. The older I get... the more of a peace monger I become. Strange... I was a very violent youth. I've grown up with a gun culture. I "chose" not to have a gun in the house. Now... I've got one. I don't like it.

On the other hand... I KNOW that I "should" have one.

NO FUN. Not fun at all.

See... I "know" that I can't say to a group of young males Hell bent on destruction, "Listen fellas... you really don't want to hurt anybody... and you know that you're just adding to the stereotypes... so let's just forget this nonsense and act responsibly." That ain't gonna get it done in the G.I. (That's Gary, Indiana.)

I "know" it... I just don't "like" it.

----------

I just talked myself into it. PAYDAY, I am buying bullets.

This sucks.

We all have to do things that we don't "want" to do. At some point... I have to listen to the reality of my surroundings. The reality of my surroundings tell me that I need protection.

I need protection.

This sucks.

Fletcher Christian

Real stuff.

I don't make shit up.

Other than my avatar.

Fletcher Christian
We can all see how polite the pro-gun people on this board are.

Art's picture
Art

I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

THISAA's picture
THISAA

I don't care why gun-lovers carry a gun. I would just rather not be around them.

Art's picture
Art

When I was a kid, the farmer where we played used to use a shot gun loaded with Cheney shot or salt, but the noise from the other side of the field worked. We always came back, our tree house was there, we just walked low beneath the corn stalks.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

im pretty polite when not insulted.

CollegeConservative

fact #1 Martin wasn't doing anythink illegal

fact #2 Zimmermann was tailing Martin with the intent to overtake him

If you carry a gun and you confront someone without one, you do not have the right to us your gun to keep from getting your ass kicked. If you think I'm wrong watch what happens. I predect 10 years unlawful homicide

mitch's picture
mitch

assualt is illegal!

CollegeConservative

mitch,Were you there? If not then how do you know your "Facts"? If zimmerman had wanted to kill martin, why would he call the police first? and If zimmerman's memory of the incident is correct then it is self defense. It seems to me that progressive's want to change a law. if enough people feel the same way, vote the members of the government out that supported that law. and if enough people don't feel the same way as the progressive's do oh well, deal with it. I don't own a gun myself. I do feel that if you want to own a gun and you go through the steps to own and carry one, that is your right.

whiskeyman's picture
whiskeyman
Quote Art:

I don't care why gun-lovers carry a gun. I would just rather not be around them.

Than don't go outside or move any other country on earth were weapons are illegal.

workingman's picture
workingman

I got this in an e-mail today.

Very Important.... This is a retired Police officer with the Texas Highway
Patrol...........

"If you know veterans and gun owners, please pass this on to them. Be very
cautious about what you say and to whom. " I am passing this along...there
are comments from two other people I have also been asked if we keep guns
in the house. The nurse just kinda slipped it in along with all the other
regular questions. I told her I refused to answer because it was against
the law to ask. Everyone, whether you have guns or not, should give a
neutral answer so they have no idea who does and who doesn't. My doctor
asked me if I had guns in my house and also if any were loaded. I , of
course, answered yes to both questions. Then he asked why I kept a loaded
gun close to my bed. I answered that my son, who is a certified gun
instructor and also works for Homeland Security, advised me that an
unloaded, locked up gun is no protection against criminal attack. The
Government now requires these questions be asked of people on Medicare, and
probably everyone else. Just passing this along for your information: I had
to visit a doctor other than my regular doctor when my doctor was on
vacation. One of the questions on the form I had to fill out was: Do you
have any guns in your house?? My answer was None of your damn business!! So
it is out there! It is either an insurance issue or government intervention.
Either way, it is out there and the second the government gets into your
medical records (As they want to under Obamacare) it will become a major
issue and will ultimately result in lock and load!! Please pass this on to
all the other retired guys and gals that are gun owners or not...Thanks From
a Vietnam Vet and retired Police Officer: I had a doctor’s appointment at the
local VA clinic yesterday and found out something very interesting that I
would like to pass along. While going through triage before seeing the
doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions: 1. Did I feel
stressed? 2. Did I feel threatened? 3. Did I feel like doing harm to
someone? The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered yes to any of
the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have
gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland
Security. Looks like they are going after the vets first. Other gun people
like retired law enforcement will probably be next. Then when they go after
the civilians, what argument will they have? Be forewarned and be aware.
The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun
owners potential terrorists. Whether you are a gun owner veteran or not,
YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!!! If you know veterans and gun owners, please pass
this on to them. Be very cautious about what you say and to whom.

Food for Thought Never trust a dog to guard your food.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

I don't know... I don't think me or my wife could kill anybody.

"Hand guns are made for killin' - Ain't no good for nothing else"

Saturday Night Special - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Perhaps moving out of Gary might have been a better choice than a gun?

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood
Quote camaroman:

I got this in an e-mail today.

Very Important.... This is a retired Police officer with the Texas Highway
Patrol...........

"If you know veterans and gun owners, please pass this on to them. Be very
cautious about what you say and to whom. " I am passing this along...there
are comments from two other people I have also been asked if we keep guns
in the house. The nurse just kinda slipped it in along with all the other
regular questions. I told her I refused to answer because it was against
the law to ask. Everyone, whether you have guns or not, should give a
neutral answer so they have no idea who does and who doesn't. My doctor
asked me if I had guns in my house and also if any were loaded. I , of
course, answered yes to both questions. Then he asked why I kept a loaded
gun close to my bed. I answered that my son, who is a certified gun
instructor and also works for Homeland Security, advised me that an
unloaded, locked up gun is no protection against criminal attack. The
Government now requires these questions be asked of people on Medicare, and
probably everyone else. Just passing this along for your information: I had
to visit a doctor other than my regular doctor when my doctor was on
vacation. One of the questions on the form I had to fill out was: Do you
have any guns in your house?? My answer was None of your damn business!! So
it is out there! It is either an insurance issue or government intervention.
Either way, it is out there and the second the government gets into your
medical records (As they want to under Obamacare) it will become a major
issue and will ultimately result in lock and load!! Please pass this on to
all the other retired guys and gals that are gun owners or not...Thanks From
a Vietnam Vet and retired Police Officer: I had a doctor’s appointment at the
local VA clinic yesterday and found out something very interesting that I
would like to pass along. While going through triage before seeing the
doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions: 1. Did I feel
stressed? 2. Did I feel threatened? 3. Did I feel like doing harm to
someone? The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered yes to any of
the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have
gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland
Security. Looks like they are going after the vets first. Other gun people
like retired law enforcement will probably be next. Then when they go after
the civilians, what argument will they have? Be forewarned and be aware.
The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun
owners potential terrorists. Whether you are a gun owner veteran or not,
YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!!! If you know veterans and gun owners, please pass
this on to them. Be very cautious about what you say and to whom.

Food for Thought Never trust a dog to guard your food.

Wait a minute here. It's ok to do vaginal probes on women against their will and it's ok to give drug tests to welfare recipients against their will but it's a major breech of privacy to be asked questions about gun ownership?

This is how the new republicans win elections. Make up some scare tactic. Scare borderline liberals and independents into voting republican. I'll bet that e-chainmail reaches millions. It won't matter that the republicans are the ones trying to cut veteran benefits and health services.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

It seems to me to be a dangerous thing to align one's ideology so close to that of Chairman Mao, Pol Pot, Stalin, Hitler... to name a few.

On the other end of the spectrum, the United States has over the years, WANTED their citizens to be armed.

Interesting concept Fletcher, too bad the discussion devolved into another Zimmerman v Trayvon thread.

Assuming America has the opposite approach to an armed populace than Mao, Pol Pot, Stalin and Hitler, then it stands to reason that America is the polar opposite of what they stand for. Obviously, when the 2nd Amendment was conceived, these guys had yet to become the blight on humanity that they did. Assuming that the 2nd Amendment was intended to arm it's populace, was it intended to keep the likes of them from taking root in our nation? Was the intention to allow every Tom, Dick and Harry to own a gun or was it to allow for a well regulated militia?

If the "Tom, Dick and Harry" plan was the intent of the Founding Fathers, then we have achieved their goal in spades. It must have been a bad plan as we appear to be in the midst of such great tyranny (per many postings from you and others). Who are the tyrants anyway? Is it our government? Perhaps the NRA and all they represent are the tyrants? Maybe you have been duped into purchasing a weapon that supports the tyrants. Are you being a good American by purchasing a gun? Is a good American someone who fights against tyranny or one who supports it?

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

Labor is Good - That's why I added, "Oldie but a Goodie". If one looks at this situation with a serious tone to it... it's quite interesting. I OBVIOUSLY have some qualms about owning a gun again.

I grew up around 100 or so guns around the house... I'm not kidding.

I could shoot a shot gun before I could ride a bike.

Somewhere, something "clicked" and I just didn't go out with my relatives to hunt anymore. Sometimes I would go and just not have a gun. Then I stopped altogether when I met my wife.

That's been about 20 years now.

camaroman - I know what you're saying... but I just stopped caring a few months ago about being SPY'd on. It's not that I am giving up my RIGHT to privacy. I only realize that my RIGHT to privacy had been compromised a long time ago. So, I've reached a point in my life that I just don't care what happens... I only hope that when (if ever) it does happen... it's over quick. Thanks though... I do mean that.

-------------------------

Hey kiddies... The next time I'm on, I'll share the 2 stories that the COP and the SALESMAN told me to convince me to get one. But I am about to fall asleep... DAMN changing work hours!

At least to me... there are a couple of WHOPPERS contained in both of their stories. Let's put it this way... they BOTH wanted me and my wife to arm ourselves.

I think because when I talk to someone... I am being sincere. I think people pick up on that and it lowers their guard to an extent and they say things that maybe they wouldn't to someone else.

hmmm... "The COP and the Salesman". That sounds like it could be an old time pulp fiction novel. (Or even better... a "DOORS" song!

Yeah... I'm sleepy... my mind is spinning off topic. Buenos Noches, mi raza!

Fletcher Christian

From a strict constructionist reading of the 2nd amendment, only flintlocks, and wheel locks are allowed. Bullets hadn't been invented yet. Percussion caps were to come soon. Concealing a flintlock would be difficult, but since everyone could see who is armed, they would be safe.

The late great statesman Daniel Patrick Moynihan thought it a good idea to tax bullets. A 33 round clip would be expensive. I thought it could be modified to allow tax refunds for all the lead turned in at a licensed target range, retrieved from the targets. Or purchase the ammo from the range tax free and turn in the casings to match the duty free rounds.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

cause both of those are wanting something from the government the gun owner isnt.

CollegeConservative

Currently Chatting

Should public radio program in the public interest?

NPR is supposed to be our national public radio, but they're barely covering climate issues that are in the public's interest.

Only one month ago, a national New York Times/CBS News poll found that half of all Americans think that global warming is already having a serious impact. Sixty percent of those surveyed even said that protecting our environment should be a priority “even at the risk of curbing economic growth.”