Guns

57 posts / 0 new

The individual ownership is protected the the 2nd Amendment. Guns are used legaly for sport shooting, hunting and by people to protect themselves. It is not an illness, it is a right and a responsibility. Thugs will always have guns. I carry one everyday, it is like an insurance policy. No, I am not impotent or making up for some short coming.

Marlin60

Comments

Yeah, so what's your point?

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Just listening to Thom's show and wanted to comment on the topic.

Marlin60

The 2nd Amendment is well understood on this board, and it's been discussed to death. Have fun with your toy. I'll be staying out of Stand Your Ground states.

Art's picture
Art

If been discussed to death, why is topic being discussed on Thom's show. Also, anyone who calls a gun a "toy" has not idea about the responsibility of owning a gun. I would rather be in a Stand Your Ground state or in a city where only the thugs have guns.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheArmedCitizen

Marlin60
If been discussed to death, why is topic being discussed on Thom's show
Thom discusses a lot of topics to death. Suit yourself. It's a free country.

Art's picture
Art
Quote Marlin60:

If been discussed to death, why is topic being discussed on Thom's show. Also, anyone who calls a gun a "toy" has not idea about the responsibility of owning a gun. I would rather be in a Stand Your Ground state or in a city where only the thugs have guns.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheArmedCitizen

You would rather be in a city where only the thugs have guns? Did I read that right? Looking for some action?

I've always said if you have to carry every place you go you're nothing but a candy ass to begin with. I think it's fair to say you have the zimmerman mentality and then some. I almost feel sorry for you cowboy types.

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter

I also would like to comment on this. I listen to Thom's show almost ever day. I agree 90% with his ideas. I don't agree with the talk today on gun control. Sorry if you don't like it but the 2nd Amendment does guarantee our right to bear arms.

I do have to agree that the stand your ground law is not a good idea. I am not fully sold on the CCW laws in all states but ILL. I don't know if its such a good idea to be walking around with loaded guns. Never the less Americans DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS.

I hunt, shoot skeet and shoot competitive targets. You will not win people over to your side this way. Guns in America are a way of life.

Ambross's picture
Ambross

the Amendment guarantees the right to bear arms. It does not guarantee your right to shoot them. If it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling to carry them around with you, be my guest.

Art's picture
Art

Apparently you didn't read my post. Looks to me you are just looking to be disruptive.

Ambross's picture
Ambross

I've been hunting my entire life too Ambross. I don't see any reason that guns for hunting and sport should ever be taken away. I just get a little bit crazy when the NrA goes ballistic over everybody's right to carry uzi's where and whenever they want. There is a time and a place for guns and I believe that US citizens have the right to know that some radical or nut job doesn't have easy access. I believe in gun control and stringent requirements to be able to carry one. I'm not stupid enough to believe that gun control will work 100% but any % is better than 0%. That's just my humble opinion.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how ignorant and biased. "or" was a typo should be "than"

Marlin60

A good business practice, since Marlin60 doesn't believe in training or qualification or certification to buy and carry 33 round AZ specials, a good business practice is to seek out the unhinged as customers. When they pop and do their Columbine, or Giffords, their brand of assault weapons spike in sales every time, 'cuz the guvmint gonna take 'em'. We have separate laws for hunting rifles and handguns. A license is easily aquired through gun clubs and shooting ranges, AFTER proper handling and training are certified. You can't shoot them in a residential neighborhood. Machine guns are not allowed. Grenades either.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

review-of-better-angels-of-our-nature/ makes the point that for the most part their is less violence and danger than anytime in history. The notion that everyone must be armed to be safe is nonsense, but profitable. The republican convention allows guns this year but no string or rope that could be used as a garote. No piano wire, but 33 round semi-automatic is ok. The mayor asked the governor to prohibit, request denied. The convention is near the Trayvon incident, and Zimmerman was allowed to purchase any gun right after murdering him. Convention is in summer heat, so kevlar vests are kind of hot. But the churches are airconditioned so vests are ok there.

In The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, John Ford’s classic 1962 film, a clash of moral codes unfolds in the wild-west frontier town of Shinbone, Arizona. I call these moral codes the Cowboy Code, where disputes are settled and justice is served between individuals who have taken the law into their own hands, and the Law Code, where disputes are settled and justice is served between all members of the society who, by virtue of living there, have tacitly agreed to obey the rules. The Cowboy Code is represented by John Wayne’s character, Tom Doniphon, a fiercely loyal and deeply honest gunslinger duty-bound to enforce justice on his own terms through the power of his presence backed by the gun on his hip. The Law Code is embodied by Jimmy Stewart’s Ransom Stoddard, an attorney hell bent on seeing his beloved Shinbone make the transition from cowboy justice to the rule of law. Lee Marvin’s Liberty Valance is a coarse highwayman who respects only one man, Tom Doniphon, because they share the Cowboy Code that men settle their disputes between themselves. Despite Valance’s constant taunting of the law, Stoddard holds to his belief that until Valance is caught doing something illegal there can be no justice. When Doniphon tells Stoddard “You better start pack’n a handgun,” Stoddard rejoins, “I don’t want to kill him. I just want to put him in jail.”
douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Like many on this site you assume too much. I support training and background checks. Also, a machine gun, that is a fully automatic, not a semi-automatic, can be owned with proper qualifications.

Marlin60
Quote Marlin60:

Like many on this site you assume too much. I support training and background checks. Also, a machine gun, that is a fully automatic, not a semi-automatic, can be owned with proper qualifications.

Then I'll ask again, what's your point? I haven't heard of anyone of importance trying to take away those rights.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Its a shame everyone in this country has to be far right or far left. One way or the other. Compromise worked in the past but i guess thats over.

Ambross's picture
Ambross

Eric Holder is not any one of importance? Do a little research and get back to me.

Marlin60

What is the need of a fully automatic machine gun? Police don't like them in the hands of the public, National Guard doesn't like them in the hands of protesters, the secret service doesn't like them, congregations in the pews don't like them, ObGyns don't like them, neo-nazis like them, militia survivalist end times like them, drug lords like them, cartels like them nra likes them, manufacturers like them, mortuaries like them, schools don't like them, most civilised societies don't like them in anyones hands but military, that's why they are called assault rifles. If you want to assault citizenry there are many mercenary organizations. You can kill at will, like Charles Joseph Whitman sittin' up there in the Texas tower shooting students for more than an hour [Kinky Friedman lyrics], and Columbine, if it's your thrill go ahead. AZ welcomes you, TX too. You can mow down unarmed pickpockets and petty thieves in TX where things are more important than life.

There are also assault towns or Utopian towns where everyone carries.

Helicopter gunships have canon, and missiles. The guys in a wikileaks video enjoyed cutting down children, press, rescuers trying to help their mowed down friends and family, and whoo whoo and hah audible just like video game children. It's just me, but I don't see any need to dress up like W did in his play army mission accomplished moment.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote Marlin60:

Eric Holder is not any one of importance? Do a little research and get back to me.

Is Eric Holder trying to take away your hunting rifles or sporting guns? You should do a little research and get back to me.

Debating with hard core right wingers is like debating with a bag of dirt. You can't win or lose so it's really just a waste of time.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker
Quote Art:

The 2nd Amendment is well understood on this board, and it's been discussed to death.

So have the "banksters" So what's your point?

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Define hunting rifle or sporting gun. A pistol can be used for hunting and sporting uses. An AR-15 style rifle can also be used for hunting. Also, define assault weapon. An AR-15 was classified as an assault weapon because it has a pistol grip, adjustable stock and a flash suppressor, but a mini-14 in same caliber .223 same 20 round magazine is not because it lacks the items listed above. Many gun laws are just feel good issues or just knee jerk reactions to some event.

Marlin60

Mao, lenin, and all other communistic dictators want weapon bans of various degrees because it is easy to force your will on unarmed population.

Police and secret service do not like machine guns in the hands of criminals because it makes their job harder.

Criminals like machine guns because they will have more firepower than the police.

I think everyone should be allowed to own any weapon they can afford with a background check and a prove you know how to use I class. The military gives you training on weapons civilians should have similar rules.

workingman's picture
workingman

Renewed my CCW permit recently. I waited in a long line with all types men, women, old, young. mom with her child, white, black, hispanic, asian. Seems like all types of people like the idea of being able to protect themselves. Not all gun owners and people who carry guns are as described in many of the post on this site. May favorite discription was "candy ass".

Marlin60
Unbelievably asinine statements like the post above.
It's a sad sign of the times. All those scared little people who are just itching to protect themselves from some threat that they saw in the movies. Either that, or they want to play hero.

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:
Unbelievably asinine statements like the post above.
It's a sad sign of the times. All those scared little people who are just itching to protect themselves from some threat that they saw in the movies. Either that, or they want to play hero.

I think it is they know how the real world works. They see the reports of gangs of want to be tough guys from occupy running around attacking people and want to be able to defend themselves when out numbered.

The says go I carry a gun cause a cop is to heavy.

When seconds count the police are 15 minutes away.

workingman's picture
workingman

The occupy violence is a perfect example of how concealed carry helps deter violence. The only places you see these mobs destroying private property is in the cities with strict gun control laws. Occupiers in Texas and other states where we take guns seriously would be shot by one of these store owners protecting their stores and be perfectly right to do so! These thugs dont get so uppity in areas they know people carry. Think about it.

CollegeConservative's picture
CollegeConservative
Quote CollegeConservative:

The occupy violence is a perfect example of how concealed carry helps deter violence. The only places you see these mobs destroying private property is in the cities with strict gun control laws. Occupiers in Texas and other states where we take guns seriously would be shot by one of these store owners protecting their stores and be perfectly right to do so! These thugs dont get so uppity in areas they know people carry. Think about it.

That's right. Occupy violence is out of control. Anybody who breaks a storefront window should be shot dead. Windows cost money and no one should be angry enough at the system to stoop to breaking a window. Kill them all, besides the types that break windows are most likely the types the protest preemptive wars and aerial bombing of Afghanistan and Iraq villages and that kind of war resistance also cost US businessmen: i.e., Blackwater, Halliburton, Bechtel, Dyn Corp, Exxon, Chevron, Unocal, GE money. Can't have a reduction to the bottom line and any punk who thinks otherwise should be shot dead. I think there is a place awaiting all you people who want to be armed to the teeth and don't trust people, it's called Armageddon. Go to it. No really, go to it.

Choco's picture
Choco

Having guns when the Natives only had bows and arrows allowed the invaders and occupiers to steal land, kill the buffalo and displace millions of indigenous people living in harmony and sustainably. The method was to villify the natives, call them Godless heathens and then slaughter them with guns. Occupiers are this generation's Godless Heathens so it's ok to villify them for damaging the private property that was righty taken by the force of guns hundreds of years ago. What college to you go to, the college of might is right?

Choco's picture
Choco

didnt say shoot them dead leg shot works just as well to disperse these black bloc thugs and just the fact that they know people are carrying is stoping violence. Also its not my job to know what your intentions are you break into my property with weapons you could beat me to death or just smash a window how am i to know, If you dont want to get shoot dont be a thug and break into peoples property with weapons.

CollegeConservative

The Natives quickly adopted guns. The indigenous people had their own wars long before the evil white man.

Marlin60

didnt say shoot them dead leg shot works just as well to disperse these black bloc thugs and just the fact that they know people are carrying is stoping violence. Also its not my job to know what your intentions are you break into my property with weapons you could beat me to death or just smash a window how am i to know, If you dont want to get shoot dont be a thug and break into peoples property with weapons.

"black bloc thugs" and "stoping" violence. Really? What college do you go to?

Choco's picture
Choco

Sudden influx of new gunslinger trolls.

Art's picture
Art

What's wrong Art, can't come up with a better response? Please argue yoou case.

Marlin60

I've already argued it, Mar. The 2nd Amendment guarantees your right to hold, cuddle and snuggle with guns all you want. It doesn't guarantee your right to fire them. States, counties and other municipalities can put any kind of limits on shooting a gun that they want. Florida makes it really easy to hunt down and shoot somebody and get away with it. I think those laws are going to change.

I'm not sure why we're still discussing the 2nd Amendment. Sudden influx of new trolls who want to tell us all about the 2nd amendment.

Art's picture
Art

States actually cant its called constitutional incorporation same reason state cops cant search your place with out a warrant. The reason we have the second amendment goes back to the philosophers that influenced the founding fathers. Take John Loke he said that the authority of the goverment comes from the poeple and when the people are not represented by the authority it is the duty of the citizens to overthrow that government. The second amendment guarantees that this nuclear option is allways on the table. What would we look like today if at concord we had simply turned over the weapons to the british?

CollegeConservative

More nonsense Art? Please make a valid point.

Marlin60
States actually cant its called constitutional incorporation
Incorporation is not relevant here. This is because the Bill of Rights do not guarantee the right to fire a gun. There is no guaranteed right to fire a gun to incorporate into state laws.

Art's picture
Art

I've read the 2nd amdt, I've never seen the word firearm.

They use the broad term "arms". Which is all arms. However, we have laws that prohibit mounting firearms on vehicles, the private ownership of nuclear weapons, and amassing a large stockpile of fertilizer unless you are a farmer or a fertilizer dealer.

Like any right, the 2nd amendment does have limits. I'll draw the line at mounting machine guns on vehicles, grenades, rocket propelled grenades, and landmines.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

The second amendment refers to well regulated milita whats the fucking point of a millita if it cant fire their guns so obviously they intended for us to be able to fire them.

CollegeConservative
whats the fucking point of a millita if it cant fire their guns so obviously they intended for us to be able to fire them.
People can have parades, they can be honor guards, they can buy a gun at a sporting goods store, they can go to a firing range, they can perform in a wild west show, they can attend National Guard drills, they can carry them around in their holsters and feel really tough . . . they can do all sorts of things. I think the original purpose was so they could be ready to assemble at the town square to defend the community from marauding injuns and Redcoats, but that would be as members of a well-regulated militia under the direction of a Commander. The Constitution wasn't explicit on that. Nonetheless, there is no guaranteed right to fire a gun on your own individual volition. The States, counties and municipalities are the ones who get to make that decision. Not you.

Art's picture
Art

I think all chuch goers should be packing, some of the wealth gospel crowd do ordainment or some version of laying on of hands to pew member's property. One took his mortgage to be blessed by the pastor, so he could make the payment. In a church of gun everyone is safe, the collection basket could be passed and members put in bullets.

Two dead, one critical in Md. church shootingBy NBC Washington and msnbc.com staff

A man and a woman were killed and another woman seriously injured in a possible double-shooting and suicide at a church in Maryland late on Thursday.

A custodian at St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Ellicott City, Md., found two women in the church office who appeared to have been shot, police said.

One woman was pronounced dead at the scene, the other was taken to hospital in a critical condition.

Police found a man dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound in the nearby woods, police said. A gun was found near the body.

Read the original report at NBC Washington

Advertise | AdChoices

The women's and man's identities have not been confirmed.

The Baltimore Sun reported that police spokeswoman Sherry Llewellyn said it was too early in the investigation to speculate about a connection between the women and the man.

It quoted Steve Fairall, who lives on Main Street in Ellicott City, saying he often rides his bike in the neighborhood around the church.

"It's pretty upper-middle-class. It's a nice neighborhood, a lot of families," he reportedly said.

When he heard about the shootings, he "just thought it was somebody targeted. I didn't think it was any crazy gunmen running around,” the newspaper said.

This would never happen in a church of gun. Though it may actually be gun's will.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Guns are used hundreds of thousands of times to stop crimes each year by legally arm citizens.

Marlin60

Praise gun! Shout it out one more time louder..PRAISE GUN!!!

Our gun which are in holster, hollowed barrel with sharp aim

thine is the glory forever and ever for some men.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

yes it was im so sick of this liberal argument on how we have no idea of the true intentions of the founder yes we do its called the fedralist papers read them

CollegeConservative

Just a couple of quick comments.

The Second Amendment is reduntant. Before the Bill of Rights, the Federal (not national) goverment had no power to restrict the right to keep and bear arms. Since the Bill of Rights were put in to satisfy those who thought that the government might take too much power, the post- Bill of Rights government had no more power than before.

The 14th Amendment wasn't ratified. And even if it were, the Incorporation Doctrine is Bogus. Read Raoul Berger and Kevin Gutzman. Unfortunately, many conservatives, classical liberals and libertarians accept the Incorporation Doctrine out of ignorance and/or the hope that Federal judges will strike down state laws repugnant to liberty.

The purpose of the 2nd is protection against tyranny, not duck hunting.

No one is required to own a gun. If you don't like them, don't get one. Rights are only bracketed by other rights. For example, I don't have a right to bring a gun onto private property without permission.

All gun laws are victimless crime laws, yet liberals support them.

TheFirstLeftist's picture
TheFirstLeftist

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
George Washington

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
George Washington

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

Marlin60

It really doesn't matter much what this founding father or that founding father might have written for this occasion or that occasion. None of them said in the Constitution or anywhere else that a citizen has the right to shoot a gun any time or anywhere he wants to. We know that this is the case because States, Counties and Municipalities have all sorts of laws defining where, and under what circumstances, a person can shoot his gun.

Art's picture
Art

And Jared Laughner was wrestled down by a little old lady.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Art, please make a valid point,

Marlin60
Art, please make a valid point
Mar, please make an interesting point that might inspire some sort of debate. Something about the 2nd Amendment beyond the old, tired out right-wing bumper stickers. I'm doing my best here with what you have given us. It's your thread, not mine.

Art's picture
Art

Currently Chatting

Get. Money. Out.

Last week, the United States Senate actually considered a constitutional amendment on campaign finance. Last Monday, the Senate advanced Tom Udall's proposed amendment, which would allow Congress to regulate money in politics. Seventy-nine senators voted to allow debate on the measure.