High Fructose Corn Syrup and rat study

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
abull1

Hi--am trying to find the date for the report from Thom where he tells about how the rats got less smart after a diet of HFCS.  There was another trait altered by the diet and I am wanting to tell everyone I know about it.  :)  thank you

Comments

stwo
stwo's picture
Try Googling: High Fructose

Try Googling: High Fructose Corn Syrup and Rat Study

douglaslee
douglaslee's picture
It makes you fat and stupid.

It makes you fat and stupid. I think it's the drink of choice for red states.

Quote:

This Is Your Brain On Sugar: Study in Rats Shows High-Fructose Diet Sabotages Learning, Memory

ScienceDaily (May 15, 2012) — Attention, college students cramming between midterms and finals: Binging on soda and sweets for as little as six weeks may make you stupid.

A new UCLA rat study is the first to show how a diet steadily high in fructose slows the brain, hampering memory and learning -- and how omega-3 fatty acids can counteract the disruption. The peer-reviewed Journal of Physiology publishes the findings in its May 15 edition.

"Our findings illustrate that what you eat affects how you think," said Fernando Gomez-Pinilla, a professor of neurosurgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and a professor of integrative biology and physiology in the UCLA College of Letters and Science. "Eating a high-fructose diet over the long term alters your brain's ability to learn and remember information. But adding omega-3 fatty acids to your meals can help minimize the damage."

Note, depending on where the bottlers are, you don't have to exclude soft drinks. Hawaii uses cane sugar, and their soda is much tastier, just like it was when I was a kid. Denmark uses cane sugar, too.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
HBO has a great documentary

HBO has a great documentary series called "Weight of the Nation" which you can watch for free even if you don't have HBO either on their web site or on their YouTube channel.

http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pEkCbqN4uo

Also available on some streaming sevices.

It'll make you very angry because the reason we're fat is to make a bunch of corporations bottom line fat. There is a lot of information on HFCS.

abull1
thank you so much-I

thank you so much-I appreciate your help with this.  and fyi, the sodas from the Mexican grocery stores are often cane sugar, but not always.  It is really good, you're right!

And thanks for the suggestions to google and to watch the HBO show.  I will now be well informed and have the references to back up my eating habits...:)

miksilvr
A few weeks ago there was a

A few weeks ago there was a story on tv about the link between HFCS and obesity, which described how the human brain rewards us for eating sweets by releasing dopamine. In the early history of humans thousands of years before the current days of processed foods, this was a way of the brain rewarding the body for eating fruit, which contained not only natural sugars, but also the needed fiber that many fresh fruits contain.

Fiber is not only good for the digestive system, it will make you feel full, so you stop eating. By eating products containing HFCS, you are fooling your brain into thinking you are doing something good for you, so the brain still releases the dopamine. Eating foods that are high in HFCS but contain no fiber will make most people fat.

Previously, I had heard that HFCS in particular, and possibly some of the artificial sweeteners also have another quirk that leads to over consumption of products containing those sweeteners. HFCS does not satiate you (i.e. make you feel full), which explains the evolution of the monster soda cups at convenience stores ... cups so large you might need two hands to pick it up. This also helps explain the increased obesity rate in populations where products containing HFCS have become plentiful, and relatively cheap compared to whole foods with natural sugars and fiber.

I can't seem to remember where my notes are on the recent tv show that mentioned the dopamine release in response to sugar consumption ... I think I better check the labels on the stuff that was on my breakfast table. When I find the links, I'll post them here to share.

ArmySsgtMom
ArmySsgtMom's picture
The nutts and bolts about

The nutts and bolts about HFCS/high fructose corn syrup/"corn sugar"  It's not hard to follow and you can pause it if you need some extra time to understand what he is showing you. :)  I watched this a few yrs back and was horrified. We are being used as lab rats for the Food/Chemical companies. 

http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=16717

Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods. He argues that fructose (too much) and fiber (not enough) appear to be cornerstones of the obesity epidemic through their effects on insulin.

ArmySsgtMom
ArmySsgtMom's picture
double post oops!

double post oops!