HOW do you move FORWARD with clean energy when your gear shift is stuck in REVERSE?

12 posts / 0 new

It appears that the President is trying to move forward with clean energy but his gear shift is stuck on REVERSE because his "All of the Above" strategy not only supports clean energy but in his agenda we find additional oil drilling, fracking, investing our taxpayer dollars into nuclear reactors and expediting the southern half of the Keystone XL pipeline.

His plan to invest in risky nuclear reactors is mind boggling. How many nuclear reactor accidents will it take before we finally abandon that unsafe technology? Right now the San Onofre plant in California is shut down because of problems.

We all know the environmental damage and the consequences of reckless drilling and yet he seems to almost brag about the "millions of acres of public lands" and "coastal waters" that are now open to drilling, not to mention the Arctic region! And we all know that fracking wells are spreading across the country like wildfire!

PLEASE take a moment to write to President Obama on the White House website. If you do nothing, expect nothing. Please get involved so we can make a difference. He needs to reconsider his "All of the Above" strategy. What do you think?

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Comments

I notice people are reading the posts but I am wondering.......is anyone out there taking action?

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Don't despair. I think people find it hard to respond when they agree. Keep posting. Many people have learned that corporate owned media does not give them the honest picture. People take action as they wake up. People are waking up. The fear mongers are losing on that front.

.ren's picture
.ren

Thank you for your kind words. We just have to stop all of the reckless drilling, fracking and tar sands oil production! The spill 2 years ago of tar sands oil in the Kalamazoo River should have been a LOUD wake up call. How can we support what Canada is doing to the boreal forest? I could go on and on! I am so dismayed that the President seems to be on the fence with his energy policy. At first it seemed that he would push forward with clean energy and stand up to the pressure of the oil and gas companies but now it seems like he has caved in and is trying to please everyone. Drilling in the ARCTIC?? That is just plain crazy, reckless and a spill there would be so devastating and the effects would last for years or forever in the case of loosing a species! Seriously, I wish more people would get involved. It's also THEIR clean air, clean water, pristine wilderness, wildlife and solitude that we are fighting for. Thanks again for your kindness.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

PEOPLE......PLEASE GET INVOLVED!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

The president is not supporting oil and gas at all under him oil andlags leasing has gon down as well as royalties. Not I mention he rejected the biggest no brainier pipeline proposal ever.

CollegeConservative's picture
CollegeConservative

He has opened MILLIONS OF ACRES of public lands and coastal waters INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE FRAGILE ECOLOGICAL SENSITIVE ARCTIC to oil drilling and ALSO SUPPORTED the SOUTHERN LEG OF THE KEYSTONE XL PIPELINE! DO YOU HEAR ME NOW?

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

My best to you Mrs. Lee. Ignore the cons. They don't deserve your highly moral and ethical attention. I've been at this since the early seventies. Not much changes, especially with them; it's very frustrating. Just keep level headed and keep posting.

.ren's picture
.ren

I just can't understand why so many people have their heads in the sand and just think all the bad will go away if they just close their eyes or make fun of those who are working hard to protect the same clean water and air they too need to breath! They should want to be a part of the solution if not for their own self at least for the next generation. Thank you for your kind words of encourgement.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

OK....so WHO on this board has written to the President about this matter? Chime in please. I'm wondering how many people here are actually taking action....or are you just enjoying the conversations?

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

If you care about the environment then I have to ask again....are you just on this board for conversation or are you willing to help try and change things? Remember...big oil might have the funding but we have the numbers if we ALL get busy and start writing and signing petitions that come along. I have posted victories that we have accomplished that would NOT have happened without the public getting involved. You can't just sit there and hope others will do it all for you. We have too much to loose to just hope someone else will take all the actions needed. PLEASE get involved! Please write to the President and let him know that we want a CLEAN ENERGY FUTURE and to STOP all of the RECKLESS drilling! Let him know we count on him to get his gear shift out of reverse and move FORWARD with clean energy NOW! Please post a message here if you are getting involved so I know I am not wasting my time here. THANKS!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

The problem is that the economy is tied to energy, and cutting off that supply shuts down EVERYTHING. Having said that, I also want to breath clean air and drink clean water, so even I am with you on those concerns.

You have to realize that burning hydrocarbons is still the cheapest form of energy going. By far, nothing else is close. You are not going to replace oil with windmills, solar panels, etc, etc anytime soon. The best you can do is to make VERY small dent in the demand for oil that way. I'm talking 10% tops.

Most of us are unwilling to shut down the entire economy for environmental concerns. Sorry that is reality. And there are examples of where environmentalists have banned something due to hysteria based on bad science (Freon for example). And banned drilling in middle of nowhere Alaska where there is literally nothing there. So sorry, there are examples of environmentalists going over the top. And that has turned a lot of people off to your cause.

So yes, drill and build pipelines in such a way that they do not leak or spill. If that does happen, slap a fine on the offenders so large that it catches everyones attention, so now everyone will spend the extra money in maintenance to prevent such occurances in the future. I still say that is the problem, the cost of a leak or rupture is not high enough. Remember, money is all these guys care about. If the cost of an incident was higher, all of a sudden the maintenance budgets would go up, and the corrosion allowances would go down. And by magic, the number of leaks and ruptures would go way down.

mauiman58's picture
mauiman58

Currently Chatting

Politifact left the house without their pants on

Liar liar pants on fire…or are they?